Steppenwolf..

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Steppenwolf..

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Ethix

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 06:15 pm
so,

some of you may remeber i asked a short while of authors/writers that write with a neagtive edge to their novels.i was hunting for partciular styles or writers that write with a dark philosophical poetical edge..

however i may of been misinterpreted.. and i doidnt explain properly, now i can give an example ..

I have just finish Steppenwolf by Hesse .. .. mind blowing, EXACTLY what i im after. it was easy to read, not to difficult to take in, and had the perfect 'dark' feel to it that im searching. i LOVED it , i want to read it again !!, it was perfect..

so now you know what i was searhing for ,

can you people suggest any books/authors that are similar in style and context ?? , or maybe just books/authors that you think i will love if i loved Steppenwolf so much.. it was a very dark outlook on life and living and society. just brilliant..

i hope you can help me ! Smile

Thanks, Sam ..

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 06:19 pm
@Ethix,
Well, I highly recommend Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury or The Handmaid's Tale by Margret Atwood. They are both dark, but I cannot say if they are much like Steppenwolf by Hesse.

Ethix

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 06:35 pm
@Ethix,
thanks for the quick reply, i will note down the book you have suggested.

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 07:04 pm
@Ethix,
I didn't mention it, but if you have not read both Animal Farm and 1984 by George Orwell, I would add them to your reading list as well.

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 07:26 pm
@Theaetetus,
Never read hesse but Chuck Palahniuk is the current it writer for exploring the weirder side of humanity in dark fiction.

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 07:33 pm
@Ethix,
I like Palahniuk as well. You can find my reviews on both Fight Club and Survivor by him on this website in the Book review forum. I would start with his earlier material though, then to start on his newer stuff because it is sketchy at best. Fight Club, Survivor, Invisible Monsters, and Lullaby and his classics, and Choke follows them up, but after those, you must be a true fan to keep on reading through his writing.

Ethix

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 04:47 am
@Theaetetus,
thankyou, i heard chuck was a little ' sketchy' and didnt flow too easily, i may find it a little hard to get into but i will give him a try. thanks for those noted.

im after contempory really, so i can get along with it better.

anyone else have any suggestions now i can pinpoint my interest ?

Thanks for all help,

Sam Smile

Dave Allen

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 05:00 am
@Ethix,
Christie Malry's Own Double Entry by BS Johnson.

Bleakest yet funniest book ever.

hammersklavier

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 10:48 pm
@Ethix,
We by Eugene Zamiatin if you're going for the dark dystopic narrative.
Ulysses can sometimes have a dark edge, particularly in 'Circe', but on the whole it's not a dark novel.
Palahniuk (especially his Haunted) has a very dark edge to his writings.

Other than that, I don't really know. I also suggest reading Siddhartha by Hesse to get the full Hessean flavor, but that's hardly a dark novel the way Steppenwolf is.

jeeprs

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 05:05 am
@Ethix,
what about Herman Hesse's other novels? There are quite a few and some classics among them. Been decades since I read them but they still stay with me.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Steppenwolf..
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 05:21:59