The stance of "I am alone"

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

salima

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 06:45 pm
@validity,
validity;75196 wrote:
Hello there Smile

I want to explore the idea that, since my consciousness is the only consciousness that I can experience it is therefore the only one that exists.

I want to develop this idea further and to do so I should start off by reading what has been written before. When I look I can only seem to find
the view of a single consciousness that is shared out among all minds, but this idea is not what I mean. I am persuing the outcome of empiricism.

Does anyone know of any relevant works that take this hard empiricism approach to the idea?

isnt this concept (placed in bold print in your quote above) essentially the same thing as concluding that your consciousness is the only one there is?
either way we end up alone...

---------- Post added 07-13-2009 at 06:36 AM ----------

"According to the Oxford English Dictionary (2nd Edition, 1989), empiric is derived from the ancient Greek for experience, έμπειρία, which is ultimately derived from έυ in + πεἳρα trial, experiment. Therefore, empirical data is information that is derived from the trials and errors of experience. In this way, the empirical method is similar to the experimental method. However, an essential difference is that in an experiment the different "trials" are strictly manipulated so that an inference can be made as to causation of the observed change that results. This contrasts with the empirical method of aggregating naturally occurring data.
Adding further confusion is another connotation of empiric. Strict empiricists are those who derive their rules of practice entirely from experience, to the exclusion of philosophical theory.
The OED further states that an empiric is "one who, either in medicine or in other branches of science, relies solely upon observation and experiment" [emphasis added]. In this case, an empiricist can be someone who conducts an experiment but without using a hypothesis to guide the process, i.e., strictly by the trial-and-error method. This is counter to one of the main tenets of the scientific method, that of the hypothetico-deductive method, where the manipulation of the variable in an experiment is dictated by the hypothesis being tested."

had to look that up since i am not familiar with technical terms. some thoughts:
but if as above empirical evidence is a 'collection of naturally occurring data' it should be easy enough to collect and interpret whatever data supports any particular position in order to prove one conclusion or another. or does this assume that all available data must be collected and sifted through, verified, comparisons made etc...and how does one know when they have 'all' the data there is?
if the idea is to use only data gained by personal experience, rather than reading about someone else's experience (especially when you are considering the possibility that there isnt anyone else!) we can conduct our own experiments.
but if we are the only being, can we observe our own selves? how does the eye see itself? we can look at ourselves in the mirror i suppose...set up a camera and make a video...

validity

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 11:04 pm
@salima,
salima;76901 wrote:
isnt this concept (placed in bold print in your quote above) essentially the same thing as concluding that your consciousness is the only one there is?
Perhaps it is. May I ask what leads you believe that I have a similar state of consciousness as you?

salima;76901 wrote:
some thoughts:
but if as above empirical evidence is a 'collection of naturally occurring data' it should be easy enough to collect and interpret whatever data supports any particular position in order to prove one conclusion or another. or does this assume that all available data must be collected and sifted through, verified, comparisons made etc...and how does one know when they have 'all' the data there is?...
The importance of empirical evidence is that anyone can gather it at anytime and find identical results. The interpretation of data can only be made in strict alignment with the design of the experiment. The trick is to design an experiment that allows you to make an interpretation that lies within the scope of the experiment.

salima;76901 wrote:
if the idea is to use only data gained by personal experience, rather than reading about someone else's experience (especially when you are considering the possibility that there isnt anyone else!) we can conduct our own experiments.
but if we are the only being, can we observe our own selves? how does the eye see itself? we can look at ourselves in the mirror i suppose...set up a camera and make a video...
I can experience my consciousness, I just do not know how to experience your consciousness. Should I be content with the idea that if your physiology reacts in a similar way to mine then you are experiencing a state of consciousness identical to mine, if any at all? I do not see how I can make a claim that you are, if an experience of it is not possible. There is a bit of agnosticism in here I think...

salima

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:47 am
@validity,
Quote:
Originally Posted by salima http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif

"Perhaps it is. May I ask what leads you believe that I have a similar state of consciousness as you?".............validity

may i ask you what leads you to believe that i believe that?

maybe i am confused. i thought you wanted to prove empirically whether or not there exist any consciousnesses other than the one you are experiencing in your awareness right now. did i get it wrong? if i understand correctly, my question was 'why would you not want to look into the possibility that there is only one consciousness that in fact exists in every other human being as well?'

whether there is only one universal consciousness is or is not true, i dont see any reason for it to be experienced similarly let alone identically by every human being. in fact by observation, listening, reading, experience, i would say that certainly no two individuals experience consciousness in exactly the same way. but i have no idea of whether or not it can be proved empirically or if it could how to go about it.

so are you saying that like agnostics are not sure about the existence of god, you are not sure of the existence of anything outside your consciousness? and if you should find proof that there are other consciousnesses, you wouldnt be sure as to whether or not their experience of consciousness was the same as yours? (for instance, when they see the color red does it actually look green to them according to you...)

i think about a lot of things and wonder why and what if about a lot of things, but i never questioned whether or not i exist or whether or not anyone else exists. maybe that is bcause there is no way to prove it-but we still have to deal with it, so it makes more sense to me to ask other questions as a priority.

at the same time, i wouldnt discount anyone else's question...but i think i am not understanding exactly what your question is. from the title of the thread i almost would have guessed it would be 'if i believe that i am alone, what should i do? do ethics really matter? does anything matter?'

validity

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 03:01 am
@salima,
salima;76944 wrote:
may i ask you what leads you to believe that i believe that?
From your quote

salima;76901 wrote:
I interpret 'we are alone' as different to 'I am alone'.

salima;76944 wrote:
maybe i am confused. i thought you wanted to prove empirically whether or not there exist any consciousnesses other than the one you are experiencing in your awareness right now. did i get it wrong? if i understand correctly, my question was 'why would you not want to look into the possibility that there is only one consciousness that in fact exists in every other human being as well?'
I want to understand the basis of empiricism and extend the idea to that of others consciousness. I think that the best empirical evidence to offer is that of brain imaging. This shows that the physiology is identical but is the experience in the mind identical. Is brain imaging proof of identical experience?

salima;76944 wrote:
whether there is only one universal consciousness is or is not true, i dont see any reason for it to be experienced similarly let alone identically by every human being. in fact by observation, listening, reading, experience, i would say that certainly no two individuals experience consciousness in exactly the same way. but i have no idea of whether or not it can be proved empirically or if it could how to go about it.
This is part of the issue I want to tease out. Does empiricism lead me to abandom the idea that others have consciousness. I am confused too Smile Is this why hard empiricism is classed as an obselete science?

salima;76944 wrote:
so are you saying that like agnostics are not sure about the existence of god, you are not sure of the existence of anything outside your consciousness? and if you should find proof that there are other consciousnesses, you wouldnt be sure as to whether or not their experience of consciousness was the same as yours? (for instance, when they see the color red does it actually look green to them according to you...)
Yes, except the bit about the not knowing if things exist outside my consciousness i.e. I can be sure of certain things outside my consciousness, anothers consciousness not being one of them.

salima;76944 wrote:
i think about a lot of things and wonder why and what if about a lot of things, but i never questioned whether or not i exist or whether or not anyone else exists. maybe that is bcause there is no way to prove it-but we still have to deal with it, so it makes more sense to me to ask other questions as a priority.

at the same time, i wouldnt discount anyone else's question...but i think i am not understanding exactly what your question is. from the title of the thread i almost would have guessed it would be 'if i believe that i am alone, what should i do? do ethics really matter? does anything matter?'
No, I just want to know how far the extension of empiricism can reach.

Khethil

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 06:28 am
@validity,
Because my consciousness is the only one I can experience, it does not follow that therefore mine is the only one that can exist. Empirically, one could quite-possibly deduce there must be other consciousnesses using evidence consisting of other's behavior, expressions, actions, etc.

As far as the original question: References as to how far such an empirical view might go, I'm afraid I can't much help.

Good Luck

salima

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 09:02 am
@validity,
"I interpret 'we are alone' as different to 'I am alone'. ".........V
ok, you are right, if there is only one consciousness 'it' is alone, rather than 'we' or 'i'.

"No, I just want to know how far the extension of empiricism can reach."............V
dont think i can be any help there either. sorry...

validity

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 10:18 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil;76969 wrote:
Because my consciousness is the only one I can experience, it does not follow that therefore mine is the only one that can exist. Empirically, one could quite-possibly deduce there must be other consciousnesses using evidence consisting of other's behavior, expressions, actions, etc.

As far as the original question: References as to how far such an empirical view might go, I'm afraid I can't much help.

Good Luck
I find it a strength of the empirical view that it removes the difficulty, or necessity, of assigning value to deductions. Perhpas I have this view as I do not know how to formally rate deductions. Maybe my answer lies in learning the opposite view... i.e. how far can deductions reach.

Coincidently, just this morning, I happen to of read a similar statement from John R. Searle's book "Mind: a brief introduction"

The problem is that in general with inferential knowledge there must be some independent check on the inference if the inference is to be valid

It would seem that my OP is generally known as "The problem of other minds"... I read on

manored

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 05:26 pm
@salima,
salima;76901 wrote:
A computer (And a computer here is an analogy of everthing) cannot observe itself, because it would always require more processing power than it has at hand, unless it was observing a past instance of itself.

validity;76950 wrote:
This is part of the issue I want to tease out. Does empiricism lead me to abandom the idea that others have consciousness. I am confused too Smile Is this why hard empiricism is classed as an obselete science?
I believe yes, just like the possibility of life being an ilusion is meaningless if you cant escape that ilusion, the possibility of my consciousness being alone in the universe is meaningless if I cannot test it. So I suppose its considered obsolete because there is not much to progress after that point, and its not a view you can use in life.

Neil D

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 08:19 pm
@validity,
validity;75196 wrote:
Hello there Smile
I want to explore the idea that, since my consciousness is the only consciousness that I can experience it is therefore the only one that exists.

This is a very perplexing concept. Our individual consciousness is a posteriori/empirical, and all other consciousnesses are a priori.

I propose that the only consciousness that exists is gods.

In order for there to be only one consciousness, it would have to experience through numerous minds simultaneously. Since I do observe others experiencing at the same time as I.

God is omni-present, so god can be everywhere in the universe at once. Since god can be everywhere in the universe at once, god can experience through every mind at once.

Therefore, if there is only one consciousness in existence, then it must be that of gods.

Neil

manored

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 09:53 am
@Neil D,
Neil;77321 wrote:
In order for there to be only one consciousness, it would have to experience through numerous minds simultaneously. Since I do observe others experiencing at the same time as I.

Therefore, if there is only one consciousness in existence, then it must be that of gods.
Not necessarly, the other minds could be fakes, that is, computers running, with only yours being trully extra-corporeous and timeless.

But, what is a god?

kennethamy

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 10:35 am
@manored,
manored;77414 wrote:
Not necessarly, the other minds could be fakes, that is, computers running, with only yours being trully extra-corporeous and timeless.

Suppose it could be that yours is the only mind, and the rest are computers. What reason have you to think that there is any chance that it is true?

Neil D

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 05:45 pm
@manored,
manored;77414 wrote:

But, what is a god?

That theory makes no sense to me.

To me, God is the most fundamental thing that exists in eternity; from which life is possible.

Neil

manored

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 06:15 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;77419 wrote:
Suppose it could be that yours is the only mind, and the rest are computers. What reason have you to think that there is any chance that it is true?
I have no proof against it.

Neil;77491 wrote:
That theory makes no sense to me.

To me, God is the most fundamental thing that exists in eternity; from which life is possible.

Neil
And, what is "God"? A force, a mind, a person? What is it?

validity

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 01:34 am
@manored,
manored;77274 wrote:
I believe yes, just like the possibility of life being an ilusion is meaningless if you cant escape that ilusion, the possibility of my consciousness being alone in the universe is meaningless if I cannot test it.
Then please post what you think is a suitable test to demonstrate that my consciousness is not alone in the universe.

manored;77274 wrote:
So I suppose its considered obsolete because there is not much to progress after that point, and its not a view you can use in life.
I do not see how the idea can be obselete if the opposite ie there are other minds, can not be proved either.

Neil;77321 wrote:
I propose that the only consciousness that exists is gods.
I am flattered by your praise, but I do not accept your title of god... or should I?

Neil;77321 wrote:
If we were trying to establish that our bodies react in a similar manner to external stimuli, then I am easily proven wrong. What I am trying to establish is that is there an experience of the stimuli other than physiological reaction, an internal awareness of the experience, a minds interpretation of the event, like that of what I experience.

Neil;77321 wrote:
God is omni-present, so god can be everywhere in the universe at once. Since god can be everywhere in the universe at once, god can experience through every mind at once.

If your proposition of the only consciousness that exists is gods is correct, and I only have proof that I have consciousness, I am god. Was that outcome intended?

Neil D

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 11:47 am
@manored,
manored;77498 wrote:

And, what is "God"? A force, a mind, a person? What is it?

Of course there is no proof one way or the other, and all i can give is what my opinion of god is, but first let me say how ridiculus the idea of all other inhabitants of earth being merely programs or computers running, fakes as you put it. I would feel silly even discussing such a topic. What happens when this only conscious person dies? Where does the consciousness go? Is it perpetually reincarnated into a fake world? Or perhaps it is the end of the world. Are you a fake? Given your theory one of us is. Im pretty sure im real. I think you are the fake.

So nobody knows for certain what god is, obviously, or at least no one can prove what god is, but i dont think a definition of god is necessary for it to be the better of the two theories. So who created these fake people you speak of? God? I guess in which case you and God would be the only two real consciousnesses in the Cosmos. Or if no god then perhaps these fakes just appeared from an unordered system, a product of an infinite number of conditional permutations as yourself, in which case i guess you would be God, or at least the only consciousness in existence.

The only thing i can do is look to science and use common sense, from a non biased standpoint when attempting to define god, and yes, i would say god is a force or a combination of forces, and perhaps a conscious being as well, but the nature of such a being i dont care to go into at the moment, aside form what ive said.

Ive recently learned of this "Occams razor". I think now would be a good time to use it to slice away your theory.

Neil

manored

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 12:08 pm
@Neil D,
Neil;77681 wrote:
Of course there is no proof one way or the other, and all i can give is what my opinion of god is, but first let me say how ridiculus the idea of all other inhabitants of earth being merely programs or computers running, fakes as you put it. I would feel silly even discussing such a topic. What happens when this only conscious person dies? Where does the consciousness go? Is it perpetually reincarnated into a fake world? Or perhaps it is the end of the world. Are you a fake? Given your theory one of us is. Im pretty sure im real. I think you are the fake.

So nobody knows for certain what god is, obviously, or at least no one can prove what god is, but i dont think a definition of god is necessary for it to be the better of the two theories. So who created these fake people you speak of? God? I guess in which case you and God would be the only two real consciousnesses in the Cosmos. Or if no god then perhaps these fakes just appeared from an unordered system, a product of an infinite number of conditional permutations as yourself, in which case i guess you would be God, or at least the only consciousness in existence.

The only thing i can do is look to science and use common sense, from a non biased standpoint when attempting to define god, and yes, i would say god is a force or a combination of forces, and perhaps a conscious being as well, but the nature of such a being i dont care to go into at the moment, aside form what ive said.

Ive recently learned of this "Occams razor". I think now would be a good time to use it to slice away your theory.
Actually, its simpler that an universal mind, as I see it. There is I, and there is the ilusionist, everthing else being ilusions of his. An universal mind sounds troublesome and unrealistic because I dont fell my mind connected to that of any other being. What means that I dont share my mind with anyone.

But personally I think there is no fitting teory. I prefer to see things as: "This world is stable, but pretty much anything can happen then I die"

validity;77593 wrote:
Then please post what you think is a suitable test to demonstrate that my consciousness is not alone in the universe.

I dont think there is any =)
validity;77593 wrote:

I do not see how the idea can be obselete if the opposite ie there are other minds, can not be proved either.
Thats why its obsolete, there is nowhere to go after that point, the path ends on the first stone, it seens. Aka: Further thinking about it will not result in much, besides headaches =)

Neil D

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 06:19 pm
@validity,
validity;77593 wrote:

I am flattered by your praise, but I do not accept your title of god... or should I?

That depends on you, but in general, no you shouldnt, at least not so easily anyways. God is a very profound subject.

validity;77593 wrote:

If we were trying to establish that our bodies react in a similar manner to external stimuli, then I am easily proven wrong. What I am trying to establish is that is there an experience of the stimuli other than physiological reaction, an internal awareness of the experience, a minds interpretation of the event, like that of what I experience.

Nothing empirical, not that im aware of...maybe the mystics could answer this with merging of the consciousness, or something of the sort. This seems tantamount to actually becoming someone else, and it would be interesting to observe the nature or general feeling of this, but it seems impossible.

validity;77593 wrote:

If your proposition of the only consciousness that exists is gods is correct, and I only have proof that I have consciousness, I am god. Was that outcome intended?

I only propose god as the only consciousness in the context of this thread. If there must be only one,than i say it is gods. But "you" wouldnt be god entirely, just an aspect/facet of him. I dont know how else to begin to make sense of this "one consciousness" existence.

Neil

xtropx

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 06:55 pm
@manored,
manored;75991 wrote:
I think the "I am alone" belief actually cannot be correct, because in order for us to be under an ilusion, something else must be creating it. So I would say one needs at least two minds. Though I personally believe that if two minds can exist, then any number can.

Things were going well when this question was posed.

If 'you' are observing 'I am alone' then who is really 'you'? The 'I' in 'I am alone,' or the 'you' observing the mind posing 'I am alone?'

Before you can determine "I am alone," you must at first determine who 'you' really are.

...and if you are meant to, further along this path you will find your answers.

GOD: God, or whatever word you choose to put in place of it can define or explain the ineffable reality behind the word, so the important question is whether the word will help or hinder you in enabling you to experience That to which it points. Does it lend itself too easily to becoming no more than an idea in your head that you believe in, a mental idol; or, does it point beyond itself to transcendental reality?

salima

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 07:32 pm
@validity,
i think we can create our own illusions without having to be influenced by another consciousness. we do that through dreams, hallucinations, psychological tricks like denial; those dont depend on there being any other consciousness.

but i think it would be more likely that we would create the illusion of being alone rather than creating the illusion of being in a world populated by other creatures and people.

validity

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 07:43 pm
@salima,
manored;77685 wrote:
I dont think there is any =)
Thats why its obsolete, there is nowhere to go after that point, the path ends on the first stone, it seens. Aka: Further thinking about it will not result in much, besides headaches =)
Good. I just wanted to make sure that the reasoning behind the idea does have some merit. Smile

salima;77806 wrote:
but i think it would be more likely that we would create the illusion of being alone rather than creating the illusion of being in a world populated by other creatures and people.
Proof can dispell illusions.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.48 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 04:45:18