A Happy Place to Be

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » A Happy Place to Be

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Khethil

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 06:48 am
This is interesting; Do you live in a happy country?

CNN News Article - Happiest Countries

salima

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 09:27 am
@Khethil,
they were a little vague about the report dont you think so? they are mixing up a lot of information in this one evaluation-they are including ecological footprint and life expectancy, and possibly other things not mentioned. and i am not sure how the information was gathered and from how many people not to mention their ages, financial status, and all the various factors that need to be considered to get a true picture in any poll. i would like to see more about it which i am sure must be available.

what i found most interesting though was that the group who conducted the research states that it is done with the goal of building a new economy, "centered on people and the environment." the words i have put in boldface are quoted from cnn who in turn quotes the group.

i have such a hard time following reports like this. i tend to be unable to have faith in their credibility. it is nice to know that the New Economics Foundation (ever heard of them?) is working on building a new economy though...we could use one.

William

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 10:22 am
@Khethil,
Thanks Khethil and Salima,

It causes one to ponder considering Puerto Ricos history of drug trafficking and the role it plays in that arena, causes one to question the real intentions of the articlle.

Puerto Rico, On Drugs

Check out the many other links on Puerto Rico and Drugs.

William

salima

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 06:19 pm
@Khethil,
i was looking for a place my son could go because he also is not happy in america. of course i could get him the papers to come here, but he isnt really suited to this kind of life at this time. so i was looking around-i know he would like brazil or the netherlands, he has already mentioned-but where could he qualify and what are their requirements, what is the cost of living, etc. so i stumbled on aruba while looking at donkey sanctuaries of all things. it sounded like a paradise and maybe perfect for him. i went back a few times looking it up in different places and then stumbled on a story of a girl who was murdered there-young girl on school break. it painted a most sinister picture of the island, its real character, and even if it isnt totally true it was enough that i would never go there nor would i want my son there.

long story to make a simple point-every paradise has snakes. every country has good and bad, and i just happened to find one that complements the good and the bad in me so i am happy.

CarolA

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 06:55 pm
@salima,
Despite the bad press about Australia & Indian students lately I would still recommend Australia, especially South Australia, as a destination. The incidents reported here were from a very rough area and certainly don't reflect everyday life here. There are 4 universities in Adelaide, all great & it's a beautiful city and very easy to live in.
As for this "happiness report" - I think it is really an "eco report". Any developed country gets a low rating. Believe me - Australia is a very happy place to live in!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » A Happy Place to Be
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 04:27:59