Why must the different be wrong?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Why must the different be wrong?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

manored

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 10:19 am
Today I was helping my mother make a food whose name I dont know in english (there probally isnt one, even) but it is composed of small pieces wich are rolled on sugar. I was doing the "roll on sugar" part then I touched one piece wich felt different from the others, kind of, more waterly. Then the though "There must be something wrong with this one" hit me, and, I realized after, I had assumed the different feeling one was wrong despite not having eaten any yet, and thus not knowing if it was better off with more or less water... Basically, winhout knowing the "level" of any I assumed the odd one out was worse... human nature sucks Smile

richrf

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 11:55 am
@manored,
Hi,

I think you make very good points and observations.

Something can just be different. Why must it be right or wrong?

I think there are very subtle reasons why humans adopt the notions of right and wrong.

Right and wrong denotes authority. That is, he/she who knows what is right and what is wrong assumes a higher level of authority - e.g. a judge, a teacher, a physician.

Whether or not there is a right or wrong, humans would like to believe there is one, so that they can have someone higher in the hierarchy tell them or guide them on what they do. There is a level of comfort abd security in such a notions (i.e. I'll just let someone else tell me or guide me), plus it off-loads a lot of self-work.

All this may be necessary in life, so what I do is accept it. I might feel that things aren't right or wrong, just different, but at the same time I accept that the notions of right and wrong exist and are part of the fabric of the human condition.

Does this make sense to you?

Rich

nameless

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 04:54 pm
@manored,
manored;74778 wrote:
Today I was helping my mother make a food whose name I dont know in english (there probally isnt one, even) but it is composed of small pieces wich are rolled on sugar. I was doing the "roll on sugar" part then I touched one piece wich felt different from the others, kind of, more waterly. Then the though "There must be something wrong with this one" hit me, and, I realized after, I had assumed the different feeling one was wrong despite not having eaten any yet, and thus not knowing if it was better off with more or less water... Basically, winhout knowing the "level" of any I assumed the odd one out was worse... human nature sucks Smile

Perhaps it is a hardwiring of evolution that you find regular, safe, patterns in the food that you can safely consume. Any deviations of significance will raise a cautionary alarm. You can then, after being made aware of the 'different one', evaluate for yourself via critical examination, whether it is suitable for consumotion or not.
Perhaps 'wrong' is just a crude and obsolete way of saying 'different'?

validity

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 05:18 pm
@manored,
manored;74778 wrote:
human nature sucks Smile
And yet that very human nature allows you to question your experience Smile

kennethamy

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 07:01 pm
@manored,
manored;74778 wrote:

Since a smell (for example, of rotten meat) can warn you that there is something wrong with the meat, why can't the feel of something warn you that there is something wrong with it? If you eat rotten meat, you will probably get sick, and maybe die. So if there is one piece of rotten meat, you had better not eat it.

---------- Post added 07-04-2009 at 09:03 PM ----------

nameless;74826 wrote:
Perhaps it is a hardwiring of evolution that you find regular, safe, patterns in the food that you can safely consume. Any deviations of significance will raise a cautionary alarm. You can then, after being made aware of the 'different one', evaluate for yourself via critical examination, whether it is suitable for consumotion or not.
Perhaps 'wrong' is just a crude and obsolete way of saying 'different'?

Nonsense. 2=2=3 is not only different, it is wrong. So, "wrong" is not just a way of saying "different".

Joe

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 07:15 pm
@kennethamy,
Perhaps intention is more influential then we realize throughout the day. Maybe you wanted a certain experience based on your perception. I think theres to many details to purposefully decide why. Sub-conscious thought is brought out in these "right or wrong" observations, and thats a rabbit hole.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 02:07 pm
@Joe,
Joe;74860 wrote:
Perhaps intention is more influential then we realize throughout the day. Maybe you wanted a certain experience based on your perception. I think theres to many details to purposefully decide why. Sub-conscious thought is brought out in these "right or wrong" observations, and thats a rabbit hole.

I find it impossible to understand what you are saying. And I read your post three times.

manored

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 02:17 pm
@validity,
validity;74830 wrote:
And yet that very human nature allows you to question your experience Smile
True, but its nice to say it sucks so we can work on becoming better than it Smile

kennethamy;74855 wrote:
Since a smell (for example, of rotten meat) can warn you that there is something wrong with the meat, why can't the feel of something warn you that there is something wrong with it? If you eat rotten meat, you will probably get sick, and maybe die. So if there is one piece of rotten meat, you had better not eat it.
That makes sense, however rotten meat smells bad, pretty much hardwiring us to be disgusted and not eat, and that along with the fact I know what is rotten meat and what it smells like make it make a lot of sense that we automatically deem it as bad. However this piece of food on particular just seemed a bit wettier than the rest, not any negative feelings, and im not even sure if it was just an impression or not. Maybe wetness works a bit like bad smelling though....

kennethamy

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 02:22 pm
@manored,
manored;75110 wrote:
True, but its nice to say it sucks so we can work on becoming better than it Smile

That makes sense, however rotten meat smells bad, pretty much hardwiring us to be disgusted and not eat, and that along with the fact I know what is rotten meat and what it smells like make it make a lot of sense that we automatically deem it as bad. However this piece of food on particular just seemed a bit wettier than the rest, not any negative feelings, and im not even sure if it was just an impression or not. Maybe wetness works a bit like bad smelling though....

So, sometimes the appearance of the food tells you that something is wrong, and sometimes it does not. To be expected. Appearances are sometimes misleading, and sometimes not. But, we all know that.

richrf

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 02:46 pm
@Joe,
Joe;74860 wrote:

Hi,

Yes, who knows what lurks in the minds of humans and what is propelling them each day. Maybe crazy little neurons that have mind of their own. Smile

Rich

William

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 03:00 pm
@manored,
Hello Manored. I think what you observed was just "different", that's all. Because it was not "familiar" as to the texture and feeling of the others, you assumed "something wrong". Being different and being wrong are two totally different mental constructs, Being "wrong" without further analysis is "jumping to conclusions" based on our knowledge of the subject. Which you clearly illustrated your lack of knowledge as to what you Mother was preparing. Right?

We do have a tendency to "jump to conclusions" when we venture into unknown territory if you are trying to illustrate that rather astute observation to that of human nature which seems to be the reason for bringing it to the forum. Different can be a very good thing, but it will take an understanding of what it is that makes it different if it is to have a benefit to those who think otherwise. A lot of understanding and a lot of communication. I bet you Mother wasn't the least bit concerned, was she as she probably said "Don't worry about it". Ha. Smile

William

manored

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 02:35 pm
@manored,
I decided I was being prejudicious before stopping my hand... funny how disturbing thoughs are fast Smile

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Why must the different be wrong?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 05:14:57