What is the best way to deal with fools?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » What is the best way to deal with fools?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:30 pm
If & When somebody continually-attacks you with slander and personal attacks, because they do not have a (philosophical) point other than that, then what is the best method of dealing with such people/fools?

Ignore them?

Report them?

Attack them?

I would like to believe that some combination of the above works out best pending the circumstances, but, it is a hard call to make sometimes. For example, if you had a personal friend or work colleague that was continually-pulling you down to make him/herself feel better about him/herself, then I imagine you would eventually-become compelled to either "put them in their place" or ignore/isolate them somehow. But on a public philosophy forum, such as this one, what is appropriate???

I appreciate your opinions in-advance on these matters, thank you!

Smile

Elmud

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:40 pm
@Violent Meme,
Violent Meme;71884 wrote:
If & When somebody continually-attacks you with slander and personal attacks, because they do not have a (philosophical) point other than that, then what is the best method of dealing with such people/fools?

Ignore them?

Report them?

Attack them?

I would like to believe that some combination of the above works out best pending the circumstances, but, it is a hard call to make sometimes. For example, if you had a personal friend or work colleague that was continually-pulling you down to make him/herself feel better about him/herself, then I imagine you would eventually-become compelled to either "put them in their place" or ignore/isolate them somehow. But on a public philosophy forum, such as this one, what is appropriate???

Smile
Maybe consider another word.

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:44 pm
@Elmud,
I've always found the best way to deal with fools is to stop being one and move on.

William

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:55 pm
@Violent Meme,
VM, you receive back what you emit. When you back someone against a wall, they will, every single time, come out fighting. Personally, I do not know a fool. Just a thought.

william

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:59 pm
@William,
On this forum, slander and personal attacks should be reported via the "report post" option in the top right hand corner of the post.

In general, the best thing to do is laugh. When someone puts you down to build themselves up, laugh. Remind yourself of what a pathetic and petty tactic the fool is using and have a nice laugh.

Violent Meme

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 06:15 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
I thank you for your advice.

I will take it to heart! Smile

salima

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 06:43 pm
@Violent Meme,
i cant laugh, it isnt really funny. i cant help but think that no matter how hard it is for people to deal with fools they are making things even harder on themselves than on us.

i remember reading a quote somewhere that a fool can only talk to fools-but a wise man can talk to anyone. to me that means that you can actually get through to a fool if you know the way. not only that, but you can even learn from a fool.

i remember meeting a bus driver one time who was swearing at all the people he called 'stupid' and having just got one of those insensitive guys (husband) out of my life i thought why not try and reason with this one and see what happens. i said 'you know, it isnt their fault they are stupid.' so he said to me, 'then whose fault is it, MINE?'

VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 06:57 pm
@salima,

richrf

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 09:04 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
When this happens, I bring to mind my favorite quote of Oscar Wilde, from the Picture of Dorian Gray:

"The highest as the lowest form of criticism is a mode of autobiography."

Rich

kennethamy

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 10:07 pm
@Violent Meme,

Ignore them?

Report them?

Attack them?

Smile

Aristotle's advice is, as a last resort, only ridicule will do.

manored

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 12:46 pm
@Violent Meme,
I think it depends of the situation. In an online forum, only words can hit you, so just ignore all posts of that person.

The result: The person will either quit whining because its no fun bothering someone that doesnt responds, or start making a big fuss. In the second case they are likely to be banned due to that. If they arent, then just report then yourself for making a fuss around you.

Zetetic11235

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 03:56 pm
@manored,
I generally find that the context makes the response. If there is some crazy musclebound biker with an uzi calling people stupid, I'd understand that it was only a matter of time before he did something dumb enough to get thrown in prison for twenty years, so there is no reason for me to initiate the response that sends him there.

Usually I divide the situation based on how much I value the person ,or if I am stuck with them. If i don't value them, and I am not stuck with them, I'll either make them think that I am stark raving mad, or just say things like "Oh my god, do you ever shut up?! I'm trying to get some sleep here!". If I do value them and I think that there is something I can say that will get through to them, then I say it. I always regret not responding to someone I value in a way that will reach them. If I don't value them and I am stuck with them and I can't avoid them, I crush them to the best of my ability. I will find out what will make them never bother me again (as long as it is not totally crazy or over the to, and it almost never is unless they have serious issues) and I do it.

Now, there is of course another situation I can think of: I don't value them, I am stuck with them, they have power over me. So for instance, a boss might fall under this category. Here you just ignore their stupidity and crack jokes about them with your coworkers.

There is really no limit to the various situations and possible responses.

bananabuddha

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 06:10 pm
@Violent Meme,

Ignore them?

Report them?

Attack them?

Smile

No no friend, you must rid this illusion from your vortex of thinking. Of course the three fold action is of your free will doing, but you must decide whether falling into the trap of a forum troll is honestly worth it. So the proper way to deal with this is to first ask them politely tio stop and defuse them. If personal attacks ensue, report them and then ignore them. Hope this works friend.

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 06:13 pm
@bananabuddha,
Shhhhh Banana, stop giving away the anti-troll secrets, you will ruin mah fun

manored

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 10:42 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;72227 wrote:
Shhhhh Banana, stop giving away the anti-troll secrets, you will ruin mah fun
Dont worry, there will always be religion forums out there Smile

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » What is the best way to deal with fools?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 08:54:17