What gives YOUR life meaning and purpose?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 10:38 pm
@Bonaventurian,
Bonaventurian;72838 wrote:
My life doesn't -have- meaning and purpose. I fantasize about death like half the time.

And yet you could have meaning and purpose in the fact that you dwell on darker thoughts like death half of the time. Look at existentialists... its tough not to read a full blown existentialist without imagining a fully loaded gun on the table, and yet they seem to push out a few good ideas now and then.

As to the question in general. I could say in one instance that what gives my life meaning and purpose is death. Not in the completely disturbing and depressing sense, but in the positive sense. Understanding that your life is limited, that the journey is both long and short, gives my life significant meaning and purpose in many ways. A shorter life essentially inspires me to make the best of the time that I have and appreciate everything that much more. I understand that I have a limited amount of time to accomplish my goals, so my purpose is to utilize the time I have to accomplish my goals such as establishing my career, having a family, ensuring that my family is provided for, and dying knowing I have provided for my family and left a legacy for them when I do die. And I would suppose that provides the meaning to my life as a direct effect.

salima

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 12:15 am
@Bonaventurian,
My life doesn't -have- meaning and purpose. I fantasize about death like half the time.

you should give yourself a little time-very few people have any purpose to their life at your age. just think when you are 65, 75, 85, and if you look back on your life and realize it had no purpose-then you can start fantasizing about death.

Arya

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 01:16 am
@Bonaventurian,
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif
Here are the things that gives the life nice flavor give lifes meaning
Worship of God
obedience to parents
communication with relatives

How do any of those make life a better meaning?

oky my friend lets see how those make my life better

worship of god: It is the pleasure of obedience, and the sweetness of intimacy, and happiness to live in God's pleasure; where to find the same in the repose, tranquility in the heart, and in the spirit of lightness and happiness, which is equivalent repented sweet thing of Maize and enjoyment of life, Vtefid the souls and hearts of love and joy of worship, it is still growing so close to the heart can not fill the view of delight of the eye and the rest appointed by himself and his heart, It is Paradise, which the person forget the worries of life and hardship,, it make us forget tired of worship, erected, and physical fatigue
that is my and most people aim of worship god [satisfaction god is the door to paradise and the happiness]

Obedience to parents:parents are the external cause of our existence , parents are gifted by godto sustain and cherish their children with love and
care
1 - It is the reason to enter Paradise
2 - Being grateful to your parents makes you grateful to god
3 - Satisfying parent is satisfied our creator

Don't you think those 3 point encourages us to love our parent, they were there of us when we were weak they raise us, how don't you want me to respect those two people?
also when i see my parent are happy of me because of doing good to them in everyway and obeying them without doubt in everything good i become happy this again give my life meaning and happiness Smile Smile

Communication with relatives: communicating with friends, families make our relationship strong, its develop our emotion to each other , help each other in need ,therefore create peace of mind that there are people always there for you

xris

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 11:03 am
@Bonaventurian,
I think your opinions and views of others is related to you friend.Learn to love yourself as others would like to love you and see the best in man not the worst.Fundamental views only harm those who hold them.Peace to you friend.Xris

manored

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 11:52 am
@sarathustrah,
sarathustrah;71506 wrote:
i also live for imagination. if i dont like this world. i withdraw to my own.
I do this also, sometimes. Having an imagination like this is nice, because no matter how bad things might get in the real world, you can always withdraw and fell happy on the inside Smile

dwixi;72142 wrote:
Okay I have thought about this and decided. A more important question is. If there was a purpose what could it possibly be? Even if we had the power to unite the universe into complete love and peace... still would that be a purpose to you? If we were here to create a soul for ourselves. Would that mean purpose? Any ONE purpose we can have would just become pointless after a while. Also if we did have a set purpose shouldnt we be born with it?

Life is poseing this question to you. We all answer it wether we like it or not. If you get to age 18 and kill yourself then.. I guess that was your purpose. I mean thats what you made your purpose. If you spend it having fun and exploring then i guess that is it.
Indeed, life seens to accept any purpose. If one decides his purpose is to destroy everthing, that, to me, seens as fine as one who decides to build everthing.

Find one. Maybe you secretly have fun with your miserable, purpose-less existance, being that why you didnt kill yourself yet? Smile

Arya;72962 wrote:

worship of god: It is the pleasure of obedience, and the sweetness of intimacy, and happiness to live in God's pleasure; where to find the same in the repose, tranquility in the heart, and in the spirit of lightness and happiness, which is equivalent repented sweet thing of Maize and enjoyment of life, Vtefid the souls and hearts of love and joy of worship, it is still growing so close to the heart can not fill the view of delight of the eye and the rest appointed by himself and his heart, It is Paradise, which the person forget the worries of life and hardship,, it make us forget tired of worship, erected, and physical fatigue
that is my and most people aim of worship god [satisfaction god is the door to paradise and the happiness]

Obedience to parents:parents are the external cause of our existence , parents are gifted by godto sustain and cherish their children with love and
care

Don't you think those 3 point encourages us to love our parent, they were there of us when we were weak they raise us, how don't you want me to respect those two people?
also when i see my parent are happy of me because ofdoing good to them in everyway and obeying them without doubt in everything good i become happy this again give my life meaning and happiness Smile Smile

Communication with relatives: communicating with friends, families make our relationship strong, its develop our emotion to each other , help each other in need ,therefore create peace of mind that there are people always there for you
No gigant letters please Smile

*Workship of god: That only works if you believe in god Smile

*Obedience to parents: Nobody is perfect, not even parents: sometimes parents do not raise their children well, or these children superate their parents, and thus conflict becomes necessary. Obedience to parents is generally nice, but only to a certain point.

*Communication with relatives: True, but doesnt necessarly needs to be with relatives. Maybe the world you need here is "friendship". After all, just because someone is from the family that doesnt means we cant call them "friend", does it? Smile

My purpose in life, as I had the pleasure of being able to decide, is to continue the meaningless cycle of human life. Aka: During my existence among humans I intend to dedicate myself to doing things that will help humanity "go forward", and I intend to do this through mere work, only that I will be honest, for dishonest work with self-centered purposes is what holds humanity back. I may also have or adopt children, but only time will tell.

Arya

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 12:49 pm
@manored,
Quote:
No gigant letters please Smile

*Workship of god: That only works if you believe in god Smile

*Obedience to parents: Nobody is perfect, not even parents: sometimes parents do not raise their children well, or these children superate their parents, and thus conflict becomes necessary. Obedience to parents is generally nice, but only to a certain point.

*Communication with relatives: True, but doesnt necessarly needs to be with relatives. Maybe the world you need here is "friendship". After all, just because someone is from the family that doesnt means we cant call them "friend", does it? Smile

My purpose in life, as I had the pleasure of being able to decide, is to continue the meaningless cycle of human life. Aka: During my existence among humans I intend to dedicate myself to doing things that will help humanity "go forward", and I intend to do this through mere work, only that I will be honest, for dishonest work with self-centered purposes is what holds humanity back. I may also have or adopt children, but only time will tell.

What is gigantic letter my friend it's my opinion and view
I wrote it briefly but someone asked me to explain each point so I did
Go back to page 2 and you will see my little answer

I respect your opinion its right that nobody is perfect and there are bad parents who do not care about their children, don't you think its rare situation?

worship of god yes its for the one who believe in god and I believe in the only god who create me and created all human ,,,the one who created me know me more then any person so its personal opinion I think worship add meaning to my life

About communicating with relative the relationship of each person with his family and friends is difference some people have strong relationship and other no,,,but my culture is difference then your we must have good relation with our family[because we have same blood] then friends came in the next step

here I am talking about my self about my parent about my belief my culture I didn't generalize and I didn't force anybody to agree with my opinion
The owner of topic asked an open question so it's normal that each member of us will have difference answers difference responses according to his culture and society there are no stander answers in such topics

best regard to you manored good discussion Smile

Holiday20310401

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 08:15 pm
@Arya,
Arya;72962 wrote:

You are the willingness of God's will then, Arya?:Not-Impressed:

And this makes you happy?

Aedes

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 08:27 pm
@Ahhhhhz,
This little guy is the meaning of my life. 'Nuff said.

http://upload.pbase.com/image/114397048.jpg

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 08:47 pm
@Ahhhhhz,
My writing and guitar playing along with my time spent with my girlfriend give my life my meaning and purpose. I suppose I could also throw my studies in there as well. But overall, the main thing that gives my life purpose is my creativity and the love I share with others.

Leonard

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 09:40 pm
@Ahhhhhz,
I'm honestly having trouble thinking of something..

Charity-I can make people less fortuante than me feel better. Even if I don't have the money to give them, I can still help someone out, and that gives me purpuose.

Friends-No matter how much I am struggling with my life right now, I have some people to help me out.

My Uncle-My uncle taught me some valuable lessons when I was a kid, he taught me how to make other people feel better and how not to take things for granted. Now that he's dying I feel grief but I feel lucky that I'm still alive.

Unfortuantely, two of these things are diminishing. I have little left in my life right now, my uncle is dying, my friends are walking away from me, and I am completely out of energy and life at the end of the day. It makes me think that there are no nice people on earth, and that hard work doesn't get you anywhere-kissing up to other people does. I may have to revise this list, but it may have fewer things in it. I have little dignity and self-respect left, but I have a long life ahead of me. I'm not the brightest, strongest, bravest, or most creative person, but that doesn't matter as long as I cherish the little I have. It almost brings a tear to my eye that there are people doing worse than me.

---------- Post added at 04:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 AM ----------

sarathustrah;71506 wrote:
i also live for imagination. if i dont like this world. i withdraw to my own.

I feel the same way. Nothing goes right in my life, but I can still imagine becoming something greater.

---------- Post added at 04:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 AM ----------

Holiday20310401;72830 wrote:
Pride gives my life meaning. How humiliating humility is.

I completely agree. Trying to be humble and modest is a terrible waste of meaning..

William

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 04:54 am
@Ahhhhhz,
Posted wrong, sorry.

---------- Post added at 06:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 AM ----------

When I read this, it took it while to truly sink in. You are meaning, my friend. What you are experiencing, IMO, is your heart going out to others who seemingly have lost touch with their own, to no avail; or so you "suppose". Never, ever think that. Many will argue, fight, defend to protect themselves, but never assume they do not hear. Be satisfied that you have offered what you have. "Heart is the lonely hunter" is not just a phrase, it is, in fact, true. To love is a defenseless act that opens itself up for attack, but it will prevail in the long run. Always remember that. Never give up. Let me make a suggestion to you. Research the works of a little known individual name Ralph Waldo Trine. A turn of the century scholar who, IMO, understood much about the word "love". It is a bit on the "religious" side, but it's common sense is astonishing, at least in my opinion. He only penned about 14 short essays (books) in his life. One in particular is "In Tune With the Infinite". Give that a shot, if you don't mind. Let me know what you think. Hang in there my friend. We need your thoughts and opinions; after all, we are all in this together. :a-ok:

Your friend,
William

Ahhhhhz

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 08:38 am
@Leonard,
Leonard;73251 wrote:
I'm honestly having trouble thinking of something..

---------- Post added at 04:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 AM ----------

I completely agree. Trying to be humble and modest is a terrible waste of meaning..

This is not as simple of an exercise as it may seem at first blush. Astonishly few people regularly use the introspective "brain muscles" required to clearly grasp such answers. It's hard work.

Likewise, I think few people really grasp the meaning of true humility: to have an accurate accounting of one's own weaknesses AND strengths. Being an above average golfer, being told "you are a good golfer", and then replying "aw shucks, not really" is false humility. True humility is having a firm grip on truth and reality--very valuable and meaningful...to me, at least.

salima

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 09:09 am
@Ahhhhhz,
i agree that humility is meaningful. and i think rather than pride i would value dignity and self esteem.

SJoseph

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 09:53 am
@Arya,
Arya;72962 wrote:

care

also when i see my parent are happy of me because ofdoing good to them in everyway and obeying them without doubt in everything good i become happy this again give my life meaning and happiness Smile Smile

I hate to take away your meaning in life, but hopefully my views will enrich your own, not be a detriment.

With what you have posted there, you haven't really said anything truly meaningful. Worshiping God is one of your only meanings in life? Why would a God want your meaning to be so trivial and uninvolved? I think that the reasons you've listed demean the "amazingness" in the complexities of all that is humanity.

We are an amazing species, and it is too primitive to throw all of that away and simply worship God and family.

On the issues of family, you're saying that if someone is an only child, that has a single mother that is never home, and an uncle that hates them for whatever reason...would have no purpose in life? (other than to worship God)

What if that person became an atheist?

The main reason I don't accept your meaning/purpose is that it doesn't transcend to all people of all creeds. If an atheist reads your post, he would immediately disregard it, as would those of other creeds. For a meaning of life to be valid, it should be universal and be applicable to everyone, everywhere, at any time in history.

Zetherin

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 10:20 am
@Ahhhhhz,
S.Joseph wrote:
For a meaning of life to be valid, it should be universal and be applicable to everyone, everywhere, at any time in history.

That sounds ridiculous, my friend. For a meaning of life to be "valid", it must be universal? Why in the world would this be (if it's even possible!)? If someone feels fulfilled, for any reason, why should they care if you deem their meaning "valid"? What does your approval have to do someone else's meaning?

I'm more curious as to your thought process behind such sentiments. Elaborate if possible, please.

SJoseph

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 01:00 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;73365 wrote:
That sounds ridiculous, my friend. For a meaning of life to be "valid", it must be universal? Why in the world would this be (if it's even possible!)? If someone feels fulfilled, for any reason, why should they care if you deem their meaning "valid"? What does your approval have to do someone else's meaning?

I'm more curious as to your thought process behind such sentiments. Elaborate if possible, please.

Well, I should start by saying that the question itself "what is the meaning of life" is flawed in that is presupposes that something somehow gave life a meaning.

So to answer it in a way that fits my universal standard, I would say that everyone makes their own meaning in life...no thing gives life a meaning and there is not some metaphysical "form" for "meaning" to life. My meaning was discussed earlier.

I'm not saying that everyone cannot have their own meaning, I assert that the original question has flaws. The only thing I would require would be that the person's meaning be rational. I don't think that Ayra's views on the meaning of life are rational, which was all that was discussed in my preceding post.

Do you accept Arya's meaning of life?

Ahhhhhz

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 01:31 pm
@SJoseph,
S.Joseph;73400 wrote:
Well, I should start by saying that the question itself "what is the meaning of life" is flawed in that is presupposes that something somehow gave life a meaning.

So to answer it in a way that fits my universal standard, I would say that everyone makes their own meaning in life...no thing gives life a meaning and there is not some metaphysical "form" for "meaning" to life. My meaning was discussed earlier.

I'm not saying that everyone cannot have their own meaning, I assert that the original question has flaws. The only thing I would require would be that the person's meaning be rational. I don't think that Ayra's views on the meaning of life are rational, which was all that was discussed in my preceding post.

I don't know who brought in the question of "the meaning of life." And it really doesn't matter since that general question wasn't originally asked. I would be interested, though, in how you think the original question was "flawed"...paying attention to "YOUR" in caps.

Zetherin

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 02:09 pm
@Ahhhhhz,
S.Joseph wrote:

I don't think it's the best question, and I would have to agree it could be better phrased.

Quote:

I would agree that everyone creates their own meaning in life.

Quote:

Your requirements are making the very "thing" you seemed so adamant against in your initial two sentences. If you assert that everyone creates their own meaning, but then demand requirements, what kind of logic is that?

Quote:

What do you mean do I accept Arya's meaning of life? Is this like accepting that someone enjoys vanilla icecream? If so, sure I accept Arya's meaning of life. How could I not?

manored

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 05:08 pm
@Arya,
Arya;73094 wrote:
What is gigantic letter my friend it's my opinion and view
I wrote it briefly but someone asked me to explain each point so I did
Go back to page 2 and you will see my little answer

I respect your opinion its right that nobody is perfect and there are bad parents who do not care about their children, don't you think its rare situation?

worship of god yes its for the one who believe in god and I believe in the only god who create me and created all human ,,,the one who created me know me more then any person so its personal opinion I think worship add meaning to my life

About communicating with relative the relationship of each person with his family and friends is difference some people have strong relationship and other no,,,but my culture is difference then your we must have good relation with our family[because we have same blood] then friends came in the next step

here I am talking about my self about my parent about my belief my culture I didn't generalize and I didn't force anybody to agree with my opinion
The owner of topic asked an open question so it's normal that each member of us will have difference answers difference responses according to his culture and society there are no stander answers in such topics

best regard to you manored good discussion Smile
You can actually write in big letters if you want, thats was mostly a joke (dumb me keeps forgetting people may not understand jokes winhout the voice and face). It just anoys me a little, thats all Smile Maybe my eyes are too used to reading the same letter size.

I agree people should obey their parents, but I dont think they should commit thenselves to it, that is, obey then no matter what, because if they do so they will be draw into their parent's mistakes rather than helping preventing then.

Believing in god is kinda funny, cause people who can believe are happy they can believe, and people who cant are usually happy they dont Smile

My culture, like yours, values familiar bonds over friendship bonds, but I personally dont think we should give greater value to someone just because they are from the family... again, mostly in a "dont be commited" fashion. Dont help someone just because they are family, help then if you like then, is around the lines of what I mean Smile

Aedes;73223 wrote:
This little guy is the meaning of my life. 'Nuff said.

http://upload.pbase.com/image/114397048.jpg

And... whats the meaning of HIS life?

GOTCHA! Smile

Maybe it will also be his children and the tradition will be passed on, trapping you in a paradox where rather than the beggining, its the end that is missing Smile

Leonard;73251 wrote:

I feel the same way. Nothing goes right in my life, but I can still imagine becoming something greater.
Maybe its time for a new start? Smile

I dont mean moving to the poles or anything like that, just a change in mental attitude can be a whole new beggining.

salima

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 05:59 pm
@Ahhhhhz,
i dont see any problem in the question if we stick to the way it was worded. as i understand it, it isnt asking for the meaning of life as pertains to all humanity or existence, it is just a question to each individual as to what they feel gives meaning to their own life. in that sense, it isnt possible to disagree with someone because they are the best judge of what gives meaning to their own life.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 09:27:47