smoking - a philosopher's habit?

  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » smoking - a philosopher's habit?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 11:42 am
Many philosophers in history were tobacco smokers, Arendt, Camus, Sartre, Kant, Kierkegaard, etc and often have their photos taken while smoking. Is it a habit associated with philosophy or philosophers, or it is just a coincidence?
 
William
 
Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 11:48 am
@EquesLignite,
It merits some thought. Thanks for bringing it up. I feel nicotine has an affect on the male brain chemistry and testosterone levels. Good, bad or indifferent; I don't know.
thanks and welcome to the forum.

William
 
xris
 
Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 12:29 pm
@William,
So all those before the discovery of the obnoxious weed are what?what did they do instead, pick their noses?because that is more intelligent than sucking on a fag.I think we have a smoker attempting to justify his habit.Welcome to the forum..Xris
 
EquesLignite
 
Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 12:36 pm
@xris,
xris;71124 wrote:
So all those before the discovery of the obnoxious weed are what?what did they do instead, pick their noses?because that is more intelligent than sucking on a fag.I think we have a smoker attempting to justify his habit.Welcome to the forum..Xris


Lol, thanks. So you makes the assumption about the OP based on what I have written on a post?

I don't need justification of any "habit", particularly when I do not even really have this habit.
 
jgweed
 
Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 12:49 pm
@EquesLignite,
"Every gentlemen should have a hobby."

From the discovery of the New World until recently, no one understood the dangers or addictive quality of tobacco. Look on the dust jackets of all sorts of novels that show the writer holding a cigarette with smoke pregnantly swirling around his face, or watch movies from the 30s and 40s; everyone smoked. Today, even Sartre would probably give up smoking.

PS not all weeds are obnoxious.
John
 
xris
 
Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 01:38 pm
@EquesLignite,
EquesLignite;71126 wrote:
Lol, thanks. So you makes the assumption about the OP based on what I have written on a post?

I don't need justification of any "habit", particularly when I do not even really have this habit.
Every one needs to justify a habit or it becomes an obsessive disorder..sorry but you appeared a justifiable puffer.
 
EquesLignite
 
Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 01:46 pm
@xris,
xris;71149 wrote:
Every one needs to justify a habit or it becomes an obsessive disorder..sorry but you appeared a justifiable puffer.


No worries at all Smile I am not completely innocent from puffing if you consider the wild Friday nights during the past school year, just it is not my habit. However, I do think that there is no need to "justify" personal habits really, to each his own, everyone has bad habits that is hard to quit. For example, many years ago when I was at middle school I was addicted to Age of Empires. Thinking about it now it was silly, but whatever. Rationalization happens often when we engage in an activity that may be otherwise undesirable, but I believe that kind of "justification" would be in the category of knee-jerk psychological response, not a part of rational discourse.
 
GoshisDead
 
Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 01:53 pm
@EquesLignite,
I don't smoke and I'm not a real philosopher, so you must be right, smoking causes philosophy. They should put it on a surgeon general's warning. Philosophy has to be way more damaging to earning potential than lung cancer.
 
Didymos Thomas
 
Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 04:14 pm
@GoshisDead,
Many of those philosophers you mention also experienced a great deal of stress and anxiety. Smoking helps alleviate stress and anxiety.... although, there is another weed that is far more effective.
 
salima
 
Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 05:28 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;71158 wrote:
I don't smoke and I'm not a real philosopher, so you must be right, smoking causes philosophy. They should put it on a surgeon general's warning. Philosophy has to be way more damaging to earning potential than lung cancer.


LaughingLaughing:lol:good one, Gosh!

---------- Post added at 05:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 AM ----------

Didymos Thomas;71206 wrote:
Many of those philosophers you mention also experienced a great deal of stress and anxiety. Smoking helps alleviate stress and anxiety.... although, there is another weed that is far more effective.


nicotine is a stimulant as well as a depressant i have read. maybe it helps someone but it never helped me, even though a smoke was the first thing i reached for at the least little sign of tension. it never calmed me down and i knew it and the lack of logic in that was one of the things that helped me to decide to quit. after society starting aggressively disapproving of smokers, it became a real source of tension for me to try and smoke anyway.

so the question is if they legalize that other weed and nobody is allowed to smoke it except in their own home, and even that is probably going to enrage the neighbors, what to do? i cant drink hootch, my stomach wont let me, and that and guns seem to be the only things left that society doesnt want to ban, other than a few activists. one can drink anywhere and not smell bad or burn holes in furniture or set forests on fire or make anyone else drunk from the fumes.

what if they make a law banning philosophy? or have they?
 
Theages
 
Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 01:29 pm
@EquesLignite,
EquesLignite;71106 wrote:
Is it a habit associated with philosophy or philosophers, or it is just a coincidence?

Many people have smoked. Philosophers are people. Do the math.
 
Zetetic11235
 
Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 04:17 pm
@EquesLignite,
EquesLignite;71106 wrote:
Many philosophers in history were tobacco smokers, Arendt, Camus, Sartre, Kant, Kierkegaard, etc and often have their photos taken while smoking. Is it a habit associated with philosophy or philosophers, or it is just a coincidence?


I think that is is absolutely accurate.
http://crazy-frankenstein.com/pictures-files/crazy-faces-pictures/old-smoker.jpg
http://www.grimmemennesker.dk/data/media/2/female-smoker.jpg

Those two seem to be promising upstart philosophers.
 
BabyBear phil
 
Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 03:04 pm
@EquesLignite,
^^^^^ That is certainly reason enough for anyone to want to quit. ^^^^
 
3k1yp2
 
Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 09:08 pm
@salima,
salima;71221 wrote:
LaughingLaughing:lol:good one, Gosh!

---------- Post added at 05:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 AM ----------



nicotine is a stimulant as well as a depressant i have read. maybe it helps someone but it never helped me, even though a smoke was the first thing i reached for at the least little sign of tension. it never calmed me down and i knew it and the lack of logic in that was one of the things that helped me to decide to quit. after society starting aggressively disapproving of smokers, it became a real source of tension for me to try and smoke anyway.

so the question is if they legalize that other weed and nobody is allowed to smoke it except in their own home, and even that is probably going to enrage the neighbors, what to do? i cant drink hootch, my stomach wont let me, and that and guns seem to be the only things left that society doesnt want to ban, other than a few activists. one can drink anywhere and not smell bad or burn holes in furniture or set forests on fire or make anyone else drunk from the fumes.

what if they make a law banning philosophy? or have they?


smoking actually calms me down and i like to smoke both while i paint and while im thinking philosophical thoughts. it's more like something that i enjoy rather than a habit, because sometimes i go for days without, just for no reason...maybe smoking will add a philosophical dimension to my paintings, and a creative flair to my way of thinking...
 
NecromanticSin
 
Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 10:16 pm
@Theages,
Theages;71441 wrote:
Many people have smoked. Philosophers are people. Do the math.


simple.:detective:

---------- Post added 01-14-2010 at 11:18 PM ----------

coincidence plain and simple. Some philosopers went mentally ill. Many other things 'normal' regular people do. Philosopers aren't super humans. However I kinda wish they were...
 
xris
 
Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 07:26 am
@NecromanticSin,
I was that fool who imagined my reasoning was correct. That close friend who calmed me down, gave me comfort ,enjoyment. I ignored the hacking cough the stinking clothes, the nagging need . You know you are fooling yourself and the truth will be ignored. You cant admit your weakness, so you claim choices and tell all, its your only pleasure.
 
Mrv
 
Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 03:58 pm
@EquesLignite,
they did have something beter than weed during those time peopl they had opium in case you forgot this not to mention the all too popular alcohol so... yea i think that maybe they took up smoking because of the extreme stress they were under? think about writing and being challenged on your words all the time everyday isin't exactly the most relaxing passtime so yea.. think about that one i guess
 
 

 
  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » smoking - a philosopher's habit?
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 09/23/2021 at 11:11:52