Origin of human life

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Origin of human life

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

William

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 06:11 am
I have always wondered about how we got here and considering the amazing correlations we find in the universe and human life, I thought you might like to consider this one. http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=68&stc=1&d=1244375951

William

---------- Post added at 07:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

In another post I had posted my thoughts as man being of the heavens and woman of the Earth as the balance to the "heavens" and the "Earth", then I thought of this.
Just a thought.
William

Victor Eremita

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 06:59 pm
@William,
Yep, one of the ultimate philosophical questions, why are we here?

One of the great questions, that unfortunately will never be truly known. It's quite a shame, isn't it.

Caroline

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 07:01 pm
@William,
How do you know?

Victor Eremita

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 07:08 pm
@William,
It's like we're chickens in a walled or other enclosed area, we know what's going on inside the wall, but what's beyond the wall is something we may never truly know.

William

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 07:33 pm
@William,
What was in the OP originally was a depiction of a male sperm approached the ovum of a woman; and the similarity of a comet/meteor approaching the Earth. Somehow or another the photos I tried to attach made it and then all of a sudden the weren't there any more? I just forgot about the thread until now. That's what I meant when I said "I thought of this"....................it had those photos accompanying it. Now......what do you think as you make those visualizations in your mind?

William

Victor Eremita

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 07:37 pm
@William,
Well now that you put it that way, I can't get Elton John's Circle of Life out of my head.

richrf

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 09:16 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Hi William,

I see a lot of symmetry in the universe, and by looking at the macro one can discern the micro, and vice-versa. It is like a spiral forever going in an out. Look at the shape of the ear. It looks like a fetus. In Chinese medicine one can discern illness by looking at the ear of a person.

I think it is possible to know why we are here, and what it is all about, but the clues are hidden away well. Nature likes to hide. [Heraclitus] For me, it reminds me of the old TV game show Camouflage, where the contestants had to find and trace the image that was camouflaged. It's there, but you have to find it. Where's Waldo?

Rich

Caroline

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 04:18 am
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita;88164 wrote:
It's like we're chickens in a walled or other enclosed area, we know what's going on inside the wall, but what's beyond the wall is something we may never truly know.
My point exactly we may never know.

Elmud

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 08:11 am
@Caroline,
Why would we need to?

richrf

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 08:21 am
@Elmud,
Elmud;88255 wrote:
Why would we need to?

The larger question is why do we need to need to know anything? This goes to the mission of life or the absurdity of life, depending upon how you wish to look at it. For me, the exploration of life in any direction is just that. It is like looking in a cave to see what is there.

Rich

prothero

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 12:13 pm
@William,
The self reflective universe?
The world becoming conscious of itself?
Man as an emmanation of spirit or a manifestation of the divine?
The arc of time is long but it tends towards experience and creativity?

Is there purpose in nature?
Where does man come from? The science answer: evolution
Why is man here? The religious answer : in the image, God as rational agent, God as moral agent

xris

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 01:10 pm
@prothero,
prothero;88325 wrote:
The self reflective universe?
The world becoming conscious of itself?
Man as an emmanation of spirit or a manifestation of the divine?
The arc of time is long but it tends towards experience and creativity?

Is there purpose in nature?
Where does man come from? The science answer: evolution
Why is man here? The religious answer : in the image, God as rational agent, God as moral agent
religion has not got the answer, it fails miserable..

richrf

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 02:12 pm
@xris,
xris;88332 wrote:
religion has not got the answer, it fails miserable..

I think there are clues in the core thoughts of religion. I love reading the Bible and Kaballah stories as well as Greek myths (and other myths), to gleam what I can of the core ideas that others may have passed on through their writings. There is something there, I believe.

On the other hand, The practice of religion is no different than any other group of people that I have ever observed, i.e. a group of people pulled together by core principles which they take on faith and which they believe everyone else should believe in if they expect to stay within the group. And of course, the group has a hierarchy. That is how groups are formed, and people join groups so that they can be part of something and share their ideas. The only issue I have is that the groups, in order to grow, start impressing and enforcing their ideas on others. They end up being a business.

Rich

xris

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 02:24 pm
@richrf,
richrf;88345 wrote:
I think there are clues in the core thoughts of religion. I love reading the Bible and Kaballah stories as well as Greek myths (and other myths), to gleam what I can of the core ideas that others may have passed on through their writings. There is something there, I believe.

On the other hand, The practice of religion is no different than any other group of people that I have ever observed, i.e. a group of people pulled together by core principles which they take on faith and which they believe everyone else should believe in if they expect to stay within the group. And of course, the group has a hierarchy. That is how groups are formed, and people join groups so that they can be part of something and share their ideas. The only issue I have is that the groups, in order to grow, start impressing and enforcing their ideas on others. They end up being a business.

Rich
It served its purpose but it has had long enough without resolving this fundamental truth. We dont need to discover god to search for the meaning of life, if we leave it till then we will never find its true meaning. If a creator exists we will only find it, in its creation and in the mysteries that surround us.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Origin of human life
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 01:49:05