When to Act

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Khethil

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 09:10 am
When faced with the need to act, yet with no desire, ask yourself, "When is a good time to do this?" If an answer is forthcoming, go with it!

If not, know then the time to act is now.

manored

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 12:34 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil;65376 wrote:
When faced with the need to act, yet with no desire, ask yourself, "When is a good time to do this?" If an answer is forthcoming, go with it!

If not, know then the time to act is now.
I think that if you have no idea of when its best to act its probally better to study the act some more before acting Smile

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 04:28 pm
@manored,
"Pure Gonzo journalism: Do it now!"

After all, what's the point in waiting?

Zetherin

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 05:10 pm
@Khethil,
Is this directed to anything in particular?

Or were you aiming for some sort of general "there's no time like the present" motivational speech?

Khethil

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 07:50 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;65443 wrote:
Is this directed to anything in particular?

Or were you aiming for some sort of general "there's no time like the present" motivational speech?

Well... if it fits one or the other, it'd be the latter of your two options.

Procrastination, dealing with those little "annoyances" - things that need to get done - that have just come up, or sit in the back of our minds, itching, while we put them off. It's long been my my way of dealing with it (along with teasing my wife about the whole issue): [INDENT]When's a good time to take care of <yada>?
[INDENT] If(True("already scheduled") then End[INDENT] Else InitiateActionNow(<yada>)
[/INDENT]EndIf
Resume
[/INDENT][/INDENT]

manored

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 04:47 pm
@Khethil,
True, cant prevent it though, Im too good at inventing excuses for myself Smile

Zetherin

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 06:22 pm
@Khethil,
I usually look at it from a net happiness perspective: If I don't initiate the task, how will this affect my happiness levels in the immediate or far future? If it doesn't affect me greatly I usually put the task off, because I'm generally happier not doing the task (this depends, of course!). If I decide it's in my best happiness interest to perform the task now, I will initiate.

I'd say I try to have a "laid-back" existence, and I never quite saw the intrinsic value in not procrastinating.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:53:39