Img:
Link:
onClick:

Title:
Img:
Link:
onClick:

Hello,

I have just finished read Michel Montaigne's Essays. I have found them very interesting and intellectually grateful, althought a little weight sametimges.

I would gratefull to anybody who recommend me any works similar to those Essays: a book about many thoughts of one or a few writes. I am not looking for complex books about philosophy and its differents paths, but a book about thoughts and conclusions.....

Thanks everybody.
FS

Dave Allen

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 05:31 am
@Tibor,
I really like Straw Dogs.

Straw Dogs: Thoughts on Humans and Other Animals: John Gray: Amazon.co.uk: Books

John Gray's Straw Dogs attempts to present a world view in which humans are not central and which argues against the humanist belief in progress. The heart of the book is summed up in the idea that modern humanists have still not come to terms with Darwin, still not come to terms with the idea that humans are like other animals. Christians and modern humanists in the Platonic-Cartesian tradition typically think of humans enjoying a special relationship to God, or a special status in nature in a way that other animals do not. Even the great debunkers--philosophers such as Nietzsche, Wittgenstein and Heidegger--end up making human beings the centre of things or the end point of some world-historical process. By contrast, in a Taoist, Shinto, Hindu or animist culture Darwin's discovery would have been easily accommodated since these faiths see humans and other animals as kin.

In short, for Gray, humanism is nothing more than "a secular religion thrown together from decaying scraps of Christian myth". Gray champions James Lovelock's view of the Earth as a self-regulating system whose behaviour resembles, in some ways, that of an organism. The Gaia hypothesis is the backdrop to Gray's apparently relentless pessimism about the fate of humankind. What it teaches us is that this self-regulating system has no need of humanity, does not exist for the sake of humanity, and will regulate itself in ignorance of humanity's fate. Straw Dogs can be usefully compared with Mary Midgely's excellent Science and Poetry since both take off from the view of man as animal while sharing similar views about the cultural role of philosophy. Both encourage us to overcome the Platonic-Cartesian-Kantian philosophical tradition while stressing the importance of Gaia in emphasising our essential continuity with the physical and natural world. For Gray, humans "think they are free, conscious beings, when in truth they are deluded animals". Straw Dogs could have been made to stretch for 500 large pages. Instead you get 200 small pages of gold; simple, concise, riveting.--Larry Brown --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Review
'This powerful and brilliant book is an essential guide to the new Millennium. Straw Dogs challenges all our assumptions about what it is to be human, and convincingly shows that most of them are delusions. Who are we, and why are we here? John Gray's answers will shock most of us deeply. This is the most exhilarating book I have read since Richard Dawkins' The Selfish Gene' - J.G. Ballard 'My book of the year was Straw Dogs. I read it once, I read it twice and took notes. I arranged to meet its author so I could publicise the book - I thought it that good... a devastating critique of liberal humanism, and all of it set out in easy-to-digest (although hard-to-swallow apercus)' - Will Self, New Statesman 'One of the most important books published this year, and will probably prove to be one of the most important this century... nobody can hope to understand the times in which we live unless they have read Straw Dogs' - Sue Corrigan, Mail on Sunday 'There is unlikely to be a more provocative or more compelling book published this year than Straw Dogs... Gray is one of the most consistently interesting and unpredictable thinkers in Britain' - Jason Cowley, Observer

Altheia

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 05:47 am
@Tibor,
I'd advise the Thoughts of Pascal if you're looking for something similar to Montaigne. Although don't be fooled by the apparent simplicity of it. Enjoy your reading anyways!

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 06:53 pm
@Altheia,
The Essays of Francis Bacon (1601)

Francis Bacon
Essays

Sounds like you would enjoy these. Hope so. Happy reading.

Tibor

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 02:05 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Hi, thank you very much for the advises. I highly value them. I would like to read Bacon's essays but it is a pitty they are not yet translated into spanish (quit surprising).

manored

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 12:37 pm
@Tibor,
Anything writen by Douglas Noel Adams is worth reading Smile Dont know any links for his books in spanish though.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Looking for book recommendation
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:41:36