Wild Nights, Friday Night

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Wild Nights, Friday Night

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 01:00 am
It is not rare to find me scanning the forums on weekend evenings. But I wonder why so many others spend their weekend evenings on the forum.

Tonight, for example, I stayed in due to a house party: my parents threw a shin-dig for their friends. Now that their party is over, I am still awake with nothing to do but drink their excess beer and post here.

But why do so many, so often, spend their weekend evenings on a philosophy forum?

Where are your friends? Where are your parties and social gatherings? Is this place a refuge for those who lack a healthy social life? I hope not....

Catchabula

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 01:29 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Because this IS a party, noisy and confusing, but with great friends and wonderful women. Man, if you knew the passions I went through here... I'm stuck in this joint for YEARS.

Victor Eremita

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 01:29 am
@Didymos Thomas,

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 01:32 am
@Victor Eremita,
Sure, it is up to the individual to go out on the weekend, but I wonder why a person would chose to stay in and discuss philosophy online rather than go out and make real social connections.

Of course, this brings up a number of questions regarding the social nature of the internet and modern society. I would love to see those issues picked up on.

Victor Eremita

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 01:36 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Quote:
Sure, it is up to the individual to go out on the weekend, but I wonder why a person would chose to stay in and discuss philosophy online rather than go out and make real social connections.

You're assuming that the individual cannot go out and make real social connections during Sunday-Thursday.

There are several reasons for this; but probably the most common reason, is that some of you people have shift work, where Friday/Saturday is not your off days.

Catchabula

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 01:43 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

Of course, this brings up a number of questions regarding the social nature of the internet and modern society. I would love to see those issues picked up on.

This opposition seems unreal. In my experience the contacts through the Net can go very deep, and can be lasting and significant on a life's scale. Why would they be "unreal" or alienated or whatever, compared to other mediators? What's the difference with the telephone? Or writing letters? The Net is what you make of it...

I could be slightly prejudiced here because I like to postpone the moment when people see my spasms. But I don't consider myself half a man because I have Parkinson. It's awl in the soul!

Caroline

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 02:51 am
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita wrote:
You're assuming that the individual cannot go out and make real social connections during Sunday-Thursday.

There are several reasons for this; but probably the most common reason, is that some of you people have shift work, where Friday/Saturday is not your off days.

Some of us dont get paid enough to be able to go out every weekend, especially nearing the end of the month.
Saying that, my pc went down the other nite and for the first time in ages i didnt rush home and jump on the pc, instead i went down to the river and watched the sun set, im also starting to ignore my friends a little bit when they are here but that's only because i had alot of problems with my pc. Im beginning to actively monitor my net use and get back into doing things after realising the above. I think as long as your aware than you can make a balance between social networking on the net and the same out there. When i have money i go out and also i think the net is great in finding people who that have the same interests as yourself, i have made some nice friends on the net, its just a question of balance.

xris

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 05:30 am
@Caroline,
You wont hear from me Thursdays I'm pub quiz, karaoke,and much to much to drink.In between posting its gardening,drawing or painting, washed down with red wine.You can tell when i have had too much red stuff i become less tolerant of certain posters, which is my weakness,im afraid.

sarathustrah

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 08:35 am
@Didymos Thomas,
i hate the bar atmosphere... or clubs or whatever... i CERTAINLY do not call that a healthy social life... i hate alcohol... the people at those places are so corrupted (in general)...
i used to go to the red eye next to the river when i was still in school... but the river rats are worse than the obnoxious bar crowd... i used to go to hall shows but the music has transformed into thoughtless noise with screeching complaints...

i have people over to play video games. thats my social life. im very comfortable with that... i prefer being a hermit most the time... but you know... some weeks the grass looks greener... but it never is....

its soooo hard to find people that can have interesting conversations... philosophical conversations... this place is full of worthy minds... so i come here.

Bones-O

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 09:10 am
@Didymos Thomas,
I'm with Victor on this issue. I've done the must-go-out-Friday-and-Saturday lifestyle. Part of that was a) being young, and b) working Monday-to-Friday. Friday night out was a release from a week of work. Saturday was usually a more tempered version of Friday, a proper time to catch up. We drank less because we were still a bit hungover from Friday.

Now not only do I not do it, I don't really see the appeal. I suppose I've reached the age where I've shrugged off friends that were superficial enough to rely heavily on partying and have settled to have fewer, closer relationships. These relationships generally have no schedule - a Tuesday is as good as a Friday.

But things slow down anyway. Such friends get jobs elsewhere, and you tend to see them every month rather than every week. It makes the get togethers too special to get blinded drunk and not remember anything.

But also I don't work 9-5, Mon-Fri anymore. I keep my own hours so never need that Friday night release.

Like Sara, I sometimes walk past a club and miss the old times, but this is just nostalgia. It doesn't work anymore. I'd have to regress and I don't want to. I still go out and get hammered from time to time, just not habitually. I think time is too precious to a) not remember it, and b) have hangovers. The benefits of sharing a well prepared meal with friends seem enormous... and then you know you've grown old.

Bonaventurian

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 10:46 am
@Didymos Thomas,
I have no life. Um. Yeah, that sums it up. I'm hoping that if I ever get a steady girlfriend, y'all won't see me on so danged much (not that y'all do generally).

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 12:08 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Well, my girlfriend always works on Friday and Saturday nights. Most of my friends do as well, so generally I don't have much to do until around midnight on the weekends. Many of my friends and I also prefer to go out on Sunday or Monday nights in order to avoid the large crowds found on Friday and Saturday. Since we often play pool or darts, we are pretty much guaranteed tables and boards on the off nights. I also go to a lot of concerts for fun, and these are often during the week, so when the weekend comes around, I prefer to take it a little easy and stay home. I am a little too old to go to house parties, and I have long ago found them to be annoying, so there is very little incentive to do anything other than drink a couple beers, play guitar, write music, or talk philosophy with people online.

Bones-O

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 12:30 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
Well, my girlfriend always works on Friday and Saturday nights. Most of my friends do as well, so generally I don't have much to do until around midnight on the weekends. Many of my friends and I also prefer to go out on Sunday or Monday nights in order to avoid the large crowds found on Friday and Saturday. Since we often play pool or darts, we are pretty much guaranteed tables and boards on the off nights. I also go to a lot of concerts for fun, and these are often during the week, so when the weekend comes around, I prefer to take it a little easy and stay home. I am a little too old to go to house parties, and I have long ago found them to be annoying, so there is very little incentive to do anything other than drink a couple beers, play guitar, write music, or talk philosophy with people online.

Aha! A fellow composer! Have you recorded any of your stuff?

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 01:01 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
I have recorded stuff in the past, but my band was not all that great, and I no longer have the recordings anymore. I was also in an embarrassingly bad punk band that recorded an "album" but considering I often had one take to come up with my part for lead guitar, and one take to practice before record was pressed, that the results were terrible. It was kind of a joke that me and some of my friends decided to do before we all move on to our next colleges.

I have actually started a new solo folk musical project about two weeks ago. I am hoping to record three songs this week live in a theater that I am playing, and then recording three more the following week at the same theater, as demos for the album I am working on. Some time in the next month or two I am hoping to have about 10 songs done, and one of my friends is going to help me record and master them.

Bones-O

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 01:04 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Excellent. I'd like to have a listen when you've got something down. I've got loads of one-take punk songs... the benefit of doing them a lot is that sometimes they turn out to be good. And it's loads of fun.

I'm trying to get an album done but all I've got so far is about a dozen recordings ranging from notes for ideas and semi-complete demos. I just don't find the time. Hoping to finish up this summer.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 07:25 am
@Bones-O,
Victor Eremita wrote:

No, no I am not making such an assumption.

Instead, I am wondering why so many people find themselves here rather than out making face to face social connections on nights which are typically evenings reserved for face to face social interaction.

Caroline

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 07:49 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
No, no I am not making such an assumption.

Instead, I am wondering why so many people find themselves here rather than out making face to face social connections on nights which are typically evenings reserved for face to face social interaction.

Well what can you do? I dont club or pub, (boring). Being fairly new to the city i dont know anyone well enough to do dinner parties, (ahhh). I go out to concerts, movies, restaurants, theatres, places etc but like Theatetus that's normally during the week, I would love to meet you guys face to face, (wouldnt that be a blast), but am qiute happy to socially interact online instead. I dont think I would be going out more if I wasnt online. Whilst online im usually doing a ton of other stuff and during the day im online whilst at work. When i first came here i thought some people didnt sleep then I realised they were on whilst working too. It was the first place and time I could thrash out alot of issues and thoughts I had that I couldnt really do during face to face interactions, I think that's what made it for me so enjoyable to be here so I naturally became drawn to it more and more.

xris

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 12:10 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline wrote:
Well what can you do? I dont club or pub, (boring). Being fairly new to the city i dont know anyone well enough to do dinner parties, (ahhh). I go out to concerts, movies, restaurants, theatres, places etc but like Theatetus that's normally during the week, I would love to meet you guys face to face, (wouldnt that be a blast), but am qiute happy to socially interact online instead. I dont think I would be going out more if I wasnt online. Whilst online im usually doing a ton of other stuff and during the day im online whilst at work. When i first came here i thought some people didnt sleep then I realised they were on whilst working too. It was the first place and time I could thrash out alot of issues and thoughts I had that I couldnt really do during face to face interactions, I think that's what made it for me so enjoyable to be here so I naturally became drawn to it more and more.
Caroline if you want to pub it with an old git in Cornwall just let me know...but it aint pretty..

Caroline

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 01:49 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
Caroline if you want to pub it with an old git in Cornwall just let me know...but it aint pretty..

Lol. That would be great Xris.......yeah same here!
I think Cornwall is beautiful, I think you're lucky.Smile

Astovio

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 08:54 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
I agree with what a lot of people here are saying. Its not easy to find face to face friends you can have conversations like this with. I believe this sort of social interaction is just as good as the telephone, or letters. Is face time better? I think it is, but the internet works just fine.

That being said, I'm pretty much a nerd... I'm not sure what a 'healthy' social life is, but I'm pretty introverted, and have no problem being alone on the internet most of the time. I do have a few friends, and we hang out. The other day we went and saw a movie, then went to Chili's for dinner. I had a lot of fun. We don't do that often. My one friend is all into partying. I don't see the sense in it. I'm not social enough to go clubbing or go to parties. I don't see the sense in just drinking and dancing to sucky music all night long. Also, I don't have the friends where I can have discussions like this with. I have two best friends, the one friend is too immature, and the other is a die hard christian, which I find hard to talk to.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Wild Nights, Friday Night
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:29:59