Lostology

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 09:47 pm
I am making up a new science. It is called Lostology. We will meet on Tuesdays at noon in the pool. Refreshments will be served. Once you reach the level of 99 you will get a double stuffed Oreo and a Burger King crown.

I am so sick of the jargon we as humans use to describe the unknown. What is the universe? Why can't we call it a box? What is outside of the box? Who cares! Our brains are too big for our hats. Lets swim in the kiddie pool before we drown in the big one. So if the universe is now known as "the box" the earth will be called a "rock" and you will be some tiny insignificant speck not even on the surface of some tiny insignificant rock. Planets, stars, other space crap? More rocks! So. we take this box and fill it with a butt load of rocks and we get? thats right! A cluster $#%$.

So whats my point?

We continue to look beyond us for the answers to the questions that haunt us. We turn to another insignificant speck on a rock and hope they can shed some light on the subject when in reality they are unsure of there own answers as you are unsure of the questions. We waste our thoughts on man made theories such as the universe and time when we should be focused on ourselves and our abilities to manipulate our reality. Instead of focusing on those elements of existence that strike us as odd, deja vue, claivoyance, telepathy etc. we shun these ideas as science fiction and work toward justifying other man made theories such as time and space. With that said....

I am going to have a cookie and goto bed.Smile

Aedes

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 05:26 am
@Lost phil,
You're concentrating on what we waste our time on without even acknowledging our nature. We're not blank slates -- we're curious beings, and while nature doesn't determine which question we ask, it assuredly determines that we will ask these questions.

manored

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 01:59 pm
@Lost phil,
I bet the first persons to heard about eletricity though it was something divine or demoniac Smile (Probally the second, since people are afraid of new stuff)

What I mean is: Everthing looks like science fiction until its proved and studied. If someone finds a way to prove and study telepathy, it will become a scientific fact.

Just like continental drift.

Lost phil

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 04:12 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
You're concentrating on what we waste our time on without even acknowledging our nature. We're not blank slates -- we're curious beings, and while nature doesn't determine which question we ask, it assuredly determines that we will ask these questions.

We created our "nature". We are curious because the fundamentals of of our existence are completely unknown to us. If we had a belief system in place, Such as early religions, we would not be curious because we would have answers. Consider this, A child touches a stove and gets burnt and doesn't touch the stove again. The act of the child touching the stove is circumstancial. The thought about the outcome is curiosity. If the child knew the pain associated with touching the stove prior to doing so, the child wouldn't touch the stove. But what occurs if the child touches the stove and it isn't on? The child will continue to touch the stove until he is burned. This is a variable that i believe we face every second of every day with every decision we make. The same cause does not always have the same effect and can eventually lead to the opposite effect all together.

I am going to hit some golf balls now.

No matter how frustrating lifes questions get always remember there is a golfer out there more confused than you will ever be. Smile

Krumple

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 04:17 pm
@Lost phil,
Quote:
We waste our thoughts on man made theories such as the universe and time when we should be focused on ourselves and our abilities to manipulate our reality.

This is what we ARE doing. You can't manipulate something you don't understand. If we can understand the universe and time then we CAN manipulate it. Sounds like this guy just wants to be lazy on the backs of those who bring him comfort and cookies without acknowledging the work that went into making those cookies.

Lost phil

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 04:27 pm
@manored,
manored wrote:
I bet the first persons to heard about eletricity though it was something divine or demoniac Smile (Probally the second, since people are afraid of new stuff)

What I mean is: Everthing looks like science fiction until its proved and studied. If someone finds a way to prove and study telepathy, it will become a scientific fact.

Just like continental drift.

I just had a thought.

We have too many luxuries as a species. If we were ever to comprehend our true nature we would have had to do so without are current realms of thinking. I.e. I can't wipe with a leaf thats not sanitary.

Am i saying only a buddhist monk at the top of a mountain can comprehend the most inner working of our universe and species? Absolutely and even then he has too much bias based on the religion of buddhism. We all have A.d.d. Everything we eat, drink, breath and all that is absorbed by our skin is tarnished in some way.

What we want is a need to loose our wants and focus on our needs to acheive what we need by eliminating what we want.....it makes sense in my head then again that isn't saying much.:whistling:

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

Krumple wrote:
This is what we ARE doing. You can't manipulate something you don't understand. If we can understand the universe and time then we CAN manipulate it. Sounds like this guy just wants to be lazy on the backs of those who bring him comfort and cookies without acknowledging the work that went into making those cookies.

My wife has no idea how an internal combustion engine operates. She turns the key, the car starts and she drives away. Understanding is not the key to manipulation. Ability is the key.

I am confused in regards to your "lazy on the backs of those who bring him comfort" statment. No one on earth offers me solice from my thoughts and no one ever should to anyone. To take comfort is to stop questioning. To question my friend is the essence of being human.

And by the way, Cookies come from little elves that live in trees with tiny ovens. I know they work hard so i don't push them. Besides the tiny eleven labor unions are very hard to deal with.

Aedes

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 05:29 pm
@Lost phil,
Lost;63908 wrote:
We created our "nature".
No, we may have partly created our culture but even so it happened as a result of mass movement and not conscious creation.

Lost;63908 wrote:
We are curious because the fundamentals of of our existence are completely unknown to us.
Even if they were 100% known to us we would STILL be curious because we can't psychologically reconcile the fact that we're conscious beings on the one hand and things on the other.

Lost;63908 wrote:
If we had a belief system in place, Such as early religions, we would not be curious because we would have answers.
Then how do you account for all the Greek philosophers, from Thales up through Aristotle, who were born into a society with a belief system?

Lost;63908 wrote:
Consider this, A child...
Your example is already dead on impact. Humans go through a long process of psychological development, and you can't make an example out of a child in order to somehow illuminate the workings of an adult with abstract thought.

Lost phil

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 06:20 pm
@Aedes,
In the grand scheme of things it is humans who have decided we have a "nature" to us. A theoretical predisposed condition that we must act or think a certain way. Another biproduct of years of conditioning.

Who is to judge what one would believe if all the secrets of the universe were common knowledge. For instance they could and possible are very simplistic and obvious but how can we ever see through the smoke screen of what we call theories.

One singular belief system with iron clad facts to back up it's means and no other beliefs to compete against it would provide us with a very interesting human being.

The child was a metaphor for your "free will". Our decisions make us who we are. Our thoughts make our decisions. Our experiences make our thoughts. And our actions make our experiences.

Aedes

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 06:35 pm
@Lost phil,
Lost;63937 wrote:
In the grand scheme of things it is humans who have decided we have a "nature" to us. A theoretical predisposed condition that we must act or think a certain way. Another biproduct of years of conditioning.
How many humans have you met who act and think identically? And it's easy to observe people who act / think without self-consciousness of whether it's according to some prescribed nature. And if they're doing it authentically, then what makes it not natural?

Lost;63937 wrote:
Who is to judge what one would believe if all the secrets of the universe were common knowledge.
And why should a thought experiment such as this be cause to critique the world as it is?

Lost;63937 wrote:
One singular belief system with iron clad facts to back up it's means and no other beliefs to compete against it would provide us with a very interesting human being.
There are people who think they've achieved that. Do you think that life becomes easier as a result?

Lost;63937 wrote:
Our decisions make us who we are. Our thoughts make our decisions. Our experiences make our thoughts. And our actions make our experiences.
Our brain makes our thoughts, too. Identical twins who are separated at birth have cognitive similarities that cannot be explained by experience.

manored

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 10:04 am
@Lost phil,
Lost wrote:
We created our "nature". We are curious because the fundamentals of of our existence are completely unknown to us. If we had a belief system in place, Such as early religions, we would not be curious because we would have answers.
Actually, we are curious because knowledge aids survival, so our antecestors evolved towards fiddling with things along with our culture.

Lost wrote:
I just had a thought.

We have too many luxuries as a species. If we were ever to comprehend our true nature we would have had to do so without are current realms of thinking. I.e. I can't wipe with a leaf thats not sanitary.

My wife has no idea how an internal combustion engine operates. She turns the key, the car starts and she drives away. Understanding is not the key to manipulation. Ability is the key.
And, what is our "true" nature? I suspect such a thing does not exist. We can only learn more about ourselves, but we cannot know everthing about ourselves, just like an eye cannot see his front and back at once.

Your wife has no idea how an internal combustion engine operates, but she understands how a car is driven.

Lost wrote:
Who is to judge what one would believe if all the secrets of the universe were common knowledge. For instance they could and possible are very simplistic and obvious but how can we ever see through the smoke screen of what we call theories.
As I see it any assumption about these secrets would be teories, and I dont think there are such secrets, only paradoxes.

Krumple

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 10:21 am
@Lost phil,
Quote:

Sure, your wife doesn't know but someone does. If no one did we wouldn't have combustion engines. It's the whole part about understanding to begin with, where we get the knowledge not after the fact.

Do combustion engines pop out of no where and no one understands them and no one cares, they just magically work? Wow I can't believe this was a rebuttal...

Lost phil

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 06:45 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
Sure, your wife doesn't know but someone does. If no one did we wouldn't have combustion engines. It's the whole part about understanding to begin with, where we get the knowledge not after the fact.

Do combustion engines pop out of no where and no one understands them and no one cares, they just magically work? Wow I can't believe this was a rebuttal...

If no one had an understanding of the universe we wouldn't have that either correct? Take thrity seconds to look a little deeper into my response before you respond. Do your lungs just magically work from birth? I don't believe the term "magically" to be all that far fetched.

manored

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 12:19 pm
@Lost phil,
Lost wrote:
If no one had an understanding of the universe we wouldn't have that either correct? Take thrity seconds to look a little deeper into my response before you respond. Do your lungs just magically work from birth? I don't believe the term "magically" to be all that far fetched.
Wrong Smile

Universe means everthing, no one can understand everthing.

Lost phil

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 04:15 pm
@manored,
manored wrote:
Wrong Smile

Universe means ever thing, no one can understand ever thing.

I believe it is archaic to think that everything or something for that matter must be understood prior to falling subject to manipulation.

manored

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 05:27 pm
@Lost phil,
Lost wrote:
I believe it is archaic to think that everything or something for that matter must be understood prior to falling subject to manipulation.
Unless im interpretation you wrongly, what is possible since I didnt understand what you meant with "archaic", you had just said something opposite to this, right?

Lost phil

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 08:11 pm
@manored,
What i mean is that just because we do not understand something doesn't mean we do not have the power to influence it or vice versa. For instance our reality. If we understood how to create our reality via our minds we would surely be taking advantage of this power. The argument to this is that is it not a possibility we already are creating our reality without fully understanding why or how?

Krumple

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 09:24 pm
@Lost phil,
Quote:
Do your lungs just magically work from birth? I don't believe the term "magically" to be all that far fetched.

My point is you don't need to know how your lungs work to use them. However; if you understand how those lungs work you can manipulate them. You can't do any manipulation if you have no idea how they work.

The reason your wife argument doesn't work is because you assumed that no one needed to understand how the combustion engine works, for it to be used. That is simply not the case. Someone was required to understand the process.

The reason I made the joke about being lazy on the backs of everyone else, is because this mindset of not needing to understand something to use something. It's ignoring the fact that someone took the time to understand it, so that YOU could use it.

You can't make cookies if you don't know whats going to happen with all these ingredients. It's understanding of those ingredients combined that the cookies were made.

Man made or not, we need context for these ideas, so these ideas can be passed along. We can't solve the problems by a singular individual and most of it is a work in progress by many individuals.

If you don't want to understand it, that's fine, but someone else might want to.

manored

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 10:25 am
@Lost phil,
Lost wrote:
What i mean is that just because we do not understand something doesn't mean we do not have the power to influence it or vice versa. For instance our reality. If we understood how to create our reality via our minds we would surely be taking advantage of this power. The argument to this is that is it not a possibility we already are creating our reality without fully understanding why or how?
We always understand something to some level, allowing us to manipulate it to some level. And yes, its possible, and we are.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 10:07:12