When did you first become interested in philosophy?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » When did you first become interested in philosophy?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Leonard

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 06:24 pm
Also, how does philosophy affect your life?

I first became interested in philosophy as a junior in high school. I was passing my classes, and I looked into online classes when I came across philosophy. I was deeply interested and it fascinated me.

...So I'll stop talking and let you answer.

Lost phil

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 09:04 pm
@Leonard,
When i realized no one else was interested. I found it discusting that the people i knew (and didn't know) were just living away and constantly worrying about work, money, life etc. without even a fleeting thought of the bigger picture. Who, what, where when and why. I would think these would be the first questions we would answer as a species. We are a world full of lost children. Maybe when we grow up we will find our place.

Astovio

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 09:21 pm
@Leonard,
I'm like Lost. I've always been interested in the bigger picture. I've never been able to see where I might be able to fit in this fast paced life, where all anyone cares about is money, themselves, their image, etc. Society is screwed up. I'm sure I didn't need to remind anyone of that. Being in high school, the only people i'm ever around are stupid kids who only care about sex, drugs, their image, their reputation, and so on. Being in high school, I'm constantly around people that just don't care about anything significant. It seems as if its actually cool to not care about anything. And I don't think this problem stays in high school. It seems the majority of society sees knowledge and wisdom as a joke. Virtue is a joke. Values? Who needs em? What is philosophy for me? When I come to a forum like this, its almost like a kindling of hope that there may just be some decent people out there. People that value knowledge of money, wisdom over power, values over image.

The thing that actually brought me to this forum was the book 1984. We read this in English class not too long ago. The book played with my mind, made me think in ways i wasn't used to thinking. I had weird bizarre dreams, and I liked it. I was intrigued. I wanted more. Although the philosophy in 1984, if you would call it that, is easily refuted, it forced me to tear it apart myself. The book also described the negative utopia that I fear is inevitable. Maybe not to such a degree, but a lot of aspects of 1984's society can be seen in ours today. That discussion is for another thread, I suppose, but for me, philosophy is both my little outlet where I can think on relevant matters, and also, its my hope that it holds the answers for a better society.

Lily

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 08:37 am
@Leonard,
I've always been qiute intrested in philosophy, but it was actually after reading "Sophie world" by Jostein Gaarder I started to try to learn more about different religions and philosohpers. It makes me live and see the beauty in life. But it also stops me from living a careless, superficial life.

Lost phil

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 06:43 pm
@Lily,
Lily wrote:
I've always been qiute intrested in philosophy, but it was actually after reading "Sophie world" by Jostein Gaarder I started to try to learn more about different religions and philosohpers. It makes me live and see the beauty in life. But it also stops me from living a careless, superficial life.

Your signature is the best!Smile

Yogi DMT

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 08:47 pm
@Leonard,
I have only recently began to interest myself in Philosophy. It all started out when i went over to a friends house about 6 months ago. He showed me a song, "The Pot" by Tool and said they were a great band. I really didn't like them at first and refused to give them a listen even though my friend kept telling me to. So finally, one day i decided that the song wasn't half bad, so i listened to it more. Then i got a few songs of LimeWire Smile of theirs, and thought that this stuff was kinda weird and not so great at first. Then i realized those songs were pretty good too. So they kept growing on me until eventually i had all their songs and was buying their albums. From then on i was, shall i say, obssessed with them. Now i'm not here to tell you how i got to like Tool but Tool is the band that got me interested in Philosophy. Only about a month and half ago i really started to listen to their lyrics and not jus the music. Since then i've been analyzing and interpreting their lyrics and really discovering the various song's messages, themes, refrences, ideas, symbols, ect. I've been on the various Tool forums and decide to expand my think and found out many of Tool's songs are very philosophical with much to look at. Then i eventually started find the connection to philosophy and researched the various ideas contained within which eventually led me to looking a bit more into philosophy . Now, i have to say i have acquired a real liking to the subject and find it very interesting. That is my very long but true story of how i got to think in philosophicals terms, like the subject, and then join these forums to talk to other like-minded Smile.

But i have to say even before i got interested in philosophy, i was always for as long as i can remember, thinking outside the box, questioning many things, ect. I think now i have found that philosophy is my calling :bigsmile:. Even though like i said i am new to subject, i just really feel like this is where i belong right from the start. I've been becoming more and more interested in these philisophical ideas and thoughts.

Caroline

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 02:45 am
@Lily,
Lily wrote:

That's a very good book, a useful stepping stone.
I became interested in philosopy. when I was 18, looking up at the stars and realising how beautiful they are

manored

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 01:14 pm
@Caroline,
Astovio wrote:
When I come to a forum like this, its almost like a kindling of hope that there may just be some decent people out there. People that value knowledge of money, wisdom over power, values over image.
Then I come to a forum like this what I find is a nice group of people to stabilish a new world order with Smile

Caroline wrote:
That's a very good book, a useful stepping stone.
I became interested in philosopy. when I was 18, looking up at the stars and realising how beautiful they are
Thats a beautiful and somewhat romantic way to get interested into something Smile

I started becoming interested in philosopy during some especially boring days of a repetitive vacation. My memory sucks so im not sure of my age at the time, probally around 8 to 10 years. I had finally achieved the level of wiseness necessary to question the meaning of life then bored, rather than just complaining about the boredoom. I asked my father about it and he said thats a question everone had but no knew the answer to. that started in me a very slow process of changing towards a more philosophic person. Around the age of 16 was then I decided to be a philosoper and to find people to discuss it with on the internet.

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 02:55 pm
@manored,
I have either always been interested in philosophy or I'm still not interested in it, at this point I really can't tell.

Catchabula

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 09:14 am
@Leonard,

salima

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 09:52 am
@Leonard,
i think every child is born a philosopher-that is why they keep asking 'why'. but then their parents tell them to shut up and they go on to other things. except for some of us who continue to ponder and wonder silently...until at last we find a little community like this where we can voice our thoughts and ideas and maybe make some sense out of it all. most people dont ask why-so it is our duty to ask them. at least i think so.

manored

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 05:56 pm
@salima,
salima wrote:
i think every child is born a philosopher-that is why they keep asking 'why'. but then their parents tell them to shut up and they go on to other things. except for some of us who continue to ponder and wonder silently...until at last we find a little community like this where we can voice our thoughts and ideas and maybe make some sense out of it all. most people dont ask why-so it is our duty to ask them. at least i think so.
My parents, luckly, never told me to shut up due to the nature of the questions, only due to their numbers Smile

But eventually the answers became "I dont know" too frequently, so I started trying to find answers by myself.

hue-man

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 09:04 am
@Leonard,
Leonard wrote:
Also, how does philosophy affect your life?

I first became interested in philosophy as a junior in high school. I was passing my classes, and I looked into online classes when I came across philosophy. I was deeply interested and it fascinated me.

...So I'll stop talking and let you answer.

I first became interested in philosophy about two years ago when I realized my atheism. I ran into the debates about the existence of God with Sam Harris, Hitchens, and Dawkins, and it made me realize that I didn't believe in God. In one of the debates, one of the guys mentioned metaphysics, and I started looking into philosophy. That combined with a number of personal issues I was going through made me interested in philosophy.

It's affected my life in the sense that it's made me wiser, more mature, more mentally stable, and more driven.

Poseidon

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 06:17 pm
@Leonard,
When we go out new blue swimming pool, age 4
and I saw it at night for the second time, and the blueness had gone!

Where did the blue go?
I asked in a state of horror, that was so intense and scary, I can remember the feeling still.

My father laughed 'It'll come back tomorrow'

The next morning, I was greatly relieved to see that the pool had turned blue again.

WHY? WHY? WHY?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » When did you first become interested in philosophy?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 08:59:19