Sacred Geometry

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Sacred Geometry

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 09:19 pm
So i've been looking into this and think it is very interesting stuff, especially the logarithmic spiral. This sprial is found in a surprising amount of natural occurences, almost making it creepy. What is the connection? I don't know but what it does do is link naturality with mathematics. Is it possible the math defines even the most organic, natural, and chaotic/unpredictable concepts.

nameless

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 02:26 am
@Yogi DMT,
See Darren Aronofsky's movie 'Pi'.

Quote:
Is it possible the math defines even the most organic, natural, and chaotic/unpredictable concepts.

No.
Math cannot 'define' love or compassion or empathy or irrationality or nonsense or poetry or how certain music makes you feel, and other music does not...

Yogi DMT

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 04:57 am
@Yogi DMT,
On a mental level maybe not, but on a physical level yes. And yet math could possibly be able to define such emotins and feelings, i doubt it and it were to do that that math would be tremdously complicated.

nameless

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 02:01 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;62988 wrote:
On a mental level maybe not, but on a physical level yes.

I'm unsure that there is any actual difference; a 'thought' is a 'thing'.

Yogi DMT

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 02:04 pm
@Yogi DMT,
There is definitely a different between an intangible idea that is very unpredicatble only being defines by the human mind and then the certainty of a physical object that math can define quite well.

nameless

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 02:41 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;63057 wrote:
There is definitely a different between an intangible idea that is very unpredicatble only being defines by the human mind and then the certainty of a physical object that math can define quite well.

Sorry, Yogi, but there is no evidence of 'physical objects' existing outside mind.
Math is a very 'local' and limited tool of exploration and understanding/description. A spectroscope is fine for analyzing the light from a star, but it cannot drive a nail. All in it's place, and 'math' is an 'artificial construct' of the mind, like 'logic', useful in it's appropriate context.
Math is a language among many, not universal or a 'god'.

Yogi DMT

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 02:49 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Well yes, math is only legitimate to our mind and what our society confines it to be. Physical objects being another contruct of the mind that of which we have no evidence to prove that it does exist. Other people experience these physicalities which means that unless we are all one mind, our evidence lies within the various consciousnesses that prove it to be either a common understood illusion, or a definite object. But since everything all started out with the famous quote "I think therefore i am" we have to follow that sort of thinking to discover in our world. If your going to doubt the existance of physical objects and the mathematics that defines them you might as well doubt thought and the very essence of our existence because we are in fact a phyiscal begin unless we are pure energy.

nameless

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 10:22 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;63066 wrote:
But since everything all started out with the famous quote "I think therefore i am" we have to follow that sort of thinking to discover in our world.

Oh no no no no!! No "we"!
"Everything" didn't start out with one person's bumpersticker saying. And to think that you have to follow that 'bumper' to discover your world sounds like a religion rather than any sort of philosophy/critical thought.

Quote:
If your going to doubt the existance of physical objects

Nope! Everything exists!
There is no evidence that anything 'exists' beyond the context of mind. (See: Bishop Berkeley)

Quote:
and the mathematics that defines them

Mathematics can never be more than a partial definition/description.

Quote:
you might as well doubt thought and the very essence of our existence

Yes! That is philosophy! Doubting and therefore critically examining all 'assumptions' and 'axioms'. Real philosophy is zetetic, based on honest skepticism.

Quote:
because we are in fact a phyiscal begin unless we are pure energy.

There is no difference between 'matter' and 'energy' except velocity.
And there is no such "in fact", but is an 'appearance to certain Perspectives.
As you perceive the 'physical world' in a dream (at night) to be quite 'physical' and 'real', of what is that 'stuff' composed? Who are the actors in your dream? While dreaming, you will swear that all is 'real'/'physical'. There is no difference, waking and sleeping, you are still dreaming a world and swearing that it is 'real/physical'.
'Materialism' is a refuted philosophy.

sarathustrah

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 09:27 am
@Yogi DMT,
a thought is a thing... electricity is a thing and thoughts are somewhat electrical right... emotions are chemical reactions... it CERTAINLY is math...
i maintain math is the language of the universe...

here's something i created with this all in mind...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a225/cemeterygirl1605/myspace/3_19_08logic.jpg
http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/%3Ca%20href=%22http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a225/cemeterygirl1605/myspace/?action=view&current=3_19_08logic.jpg%22%20target=%22_blank%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a225/cemeterygirl1605/myspace/3_19_08logic.jpg%22%20border=%220%22%20alt=%22Photobucket%22%3E%3C/a%3E

Lost phil

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 07:16 pm
@sarathustrah,
Sara... your picture rocks.

Yogi.... Tool Rules!

Yogi DMT

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 07:32 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Tool is the best band eva!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Sacred Geometry
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 03:24:53