Well, I thought it was funny.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Dave Allen

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 04:12 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
I apologize. You were saying that the UK is less racist and homophobic now than at any time in its recorded history. And it is more racist and homophobic than ever.

I don't see how that can be the case. In Victorian Britian homosexuality was a jailable offence, up into the 60s it was illegal and homosexuals were forced to take drugs and councilling to 'cure' them, in the 70s and 80s it was still generally regarded as a shameful thing to do.

In the last 20 years or so homosexuality has become widely destigmatised. Homosexual marriage is now legal in the UK (though it tends to be euphemistically referred to as "union" for fear of upsetting the religious). Hate crime against homosexuals still exists and we do have certain media pundits who say the same sort of stuff Savage says - but these are increasingly marginal opinions and acts.

So there is no real contradiction of terms if someone were to say that the UK is less homophobic than any other point in recorded history - but still point out that there are plenty of homophobes here. The two remarks aren't mutually exclusive.

The same is true of racism. There are still racists here - but racism as a whole is unfashionable and in apparent decline.

Quote:
It was a list of 16 people.

Not that it matters much, but it is a list of 22 people, of whom I believe 16 have been named.

Quote:
Most of whom are vile mass murderers.

Wrong. There is a single murderer on the list as far as I know - Samir al Quntar, a Lebanese man who spent three decades in prison for killing four Israeli soldiers and a 4-year-old girl in 1979. Most people on the list have been convicted of no crime beyond reports of various degrees of incitement of hatred and/or incitement to acts of terrorism.

To make it clear - I think the list as a whole is wrong-headed. Savage just stands out as being the least offensive of the people on the list. I don't think he really is inciteful - he's just a boorish and obnoxious shock-jock.

Quote:
If they wanted to get Savage in the headlines, how to better do it? The Brits have nothing to gain, unless you think that they are so incompetent that they just didn't anticipate this backfiring. That's what his enemies in America always wanted.

Either way it's incompetence isn't it? I'm not suggesting the ban was done to promote Savage (though promotion has been the result), just that enough evidence of the fact that bans only increase a person's visibility in UK culture now exists for the purpose of the ban to logically be one of suppressing his voice.

However, being a Brit and knowing what sort of pressure the Labour party in general, and Smith in particular, are under at the moment I suspect the particular banning of Savage was an inept appeal to those who might have otherwise commented on the fact that, Phelps family and a KKK Grand Wizard aside, everyone on the list was decidedly "other" - nutjobs ranting away in foreign languages.

He also joins such rarified company as Lenny Bruce - which he is entirely unworthy of, really.

EmperorNero

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 08:18 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;62158 wrote:
I don't see how that can be the case. In Victorian Britian homosexuality was a jailable offence, up into the 60s it was illegal and homosexuals were forced to take drugs and councilling to 'cure' them, in the 70s and 80s it was still generally regarded as a shameful thing to do.

In the last 20 years or so homosexuality has become widely destigmatised. Homosexual marriage is now legal in the UK (though it tends to be euphemistically referred to as "union" for fear of upsetting the religious). Hate crime against homosexuals still exists and we do have certain media pundits who say the same sort of stuff Savage says - but these are increasingly marginal opinions and acts.

That is great, but the muslims preaching violence are not in any way restricted because of diversity or whatever, including against gays.
In a few years it'll be as "diverse" as Amsterdam where muslim mobs roam the streets hunting down gays.

And Michael Savage did not incite any anti-gay sentiment in Britain. Barely anybody knows him there. Keep in mind that the out of context clips you hear are the worst that anyone could come up with from him talking three hours a day for 15 years. He's not even "anti gay". Search his podcast dicectory for the word 'gay', he only talked about it like 9 times since 8/28/08. It was usually on some court decision on gay marriage.
(That's 37 weeks x 5 days a week x three hours = 500 hours of talking.)
910 KNEW

Dave Allen;62158 wrote:
Not that it matters much, but it is a list of 22 people, of whom I believe 16 have been named.

True.

Dave Allen;62158 wrote:
Wrong. There is a single murderer on the list as far as I know - Samir al Quntar, a Lebanese man who spent three decades in prison for killing four Israeli soldiers and a 4-year-old girl in 1979. Most people on the list have been convicted of no crime beyond reports of various degrees of incitement of hatred and/or incitement to acts of terrorism.

To make it clear - I think the list as a whole is wrong-headed. Savage just stands out as being the least offensive of the people on the list. I don't think he really is inciteful - he's just a boorish and obnoxious shock-jock.

I think there were a bunch of murderers, but it's not really important. The point is that Michael Savage stood out, which I think was the intention.

Dave Allen;62158 wrote:
Either way it's incompetence isn't it? I'm not suggesting the ban was done to promote Savage (though promotion has been the result), just that enough evidence of the fact that bans only increase a person's visibility in UK culture now exists for the purpose of the ban to logically be one of suppressing his voice.

Neither the Brits, Savage or Savage's enemies i the US care if he gets a few more ratings. I believe the intention of this list was to get Savage in the headlines as the bad-guy, which will give his adversaries in the US an edge in their cause to get him off the air.

Dave Allen;62158 wrote:
However, being a Brit and knowing what sort of pressure the Labour party in general, and Smith in particular, are under at the moment I suspect the particular banning of Savage was an inept appeal to those who might have otherwise commented on the fact that, Phelps family and a KKK Grand Wizard aside, everyone on the list was decidedly "other" - nutjobs ranting away in foreign languages.

Please elaborate, what pressure? I'm not very into British domestic politics.

Dave Allen

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 08:53 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
That is great, but the muslims preaching violence are not in any way restricted because of diversity or whatever, including against gays . In a few years it'll be as "tolerant" as Amsterdam where muslim mobs hunt down gays.

Well I don't know anything about mobs of gay-bashing muslims in Amsterdam. Not to wish to cast aspersions on your sources Nero, but based on the fact that you do seem to be taking the odd isolated news story or rumour and building a worldview out of it could I ask what your sources are?

Based on the cases of people like Salman Rushdie I would say the general muslim populace of the UK is also more tolerant than it was 20 years ago. A wahabbist movement committing violence as a response to political problems in the middle east. My own Muslim friends and aquaintances, of which I have a few, are more homophobic in general than non-muslim friends - but I've never heard them wish death on a homosexual - just that they find the practice revolting and ungodly. The thin end of the wedge perhaps, but I'd be willing to bet that mobs of muslim gay-bashers are not likely to become a feature of British life.

Quote:
And Michael Savage did not incite any anti-gay sentiment in Britain.

Samir al Quntar didn't kill anyone in Britain. Where the banned individuals performed the acts that banned them is irrelevent.

Quote:
Barely anybody knows him there. Keep in mind that the out of context clips you hear are the worst that anyone could come up with from him talking three hours a day for 15 years. He's not even "anti gay". Search his podcast dicectory for the word 'gay', he only talked about it like 9 times since 8/28/08.

I don't really give a monkey's what he thinks about homosexuals. I actually do think his "get AIDS and die" remark was an attempt at black humour (not a very funny one, but it doesn't really offend me, home grown black humourists like Chris Morris and Jerry Sadowitz are far edgier).

Quote:
I think there were a bunch of murderers, but it's not really important.

Well the point for me is that this is a philosophy forum, which is meant to be about the discussion of the nature of knowledge and truth - so if it looks like a participant is just pulling facts out of the air to support their side of the debate I think it's fair to point out that available evidence is to the contrary. If you know that other people on the list are dangerous criminals by all means cite your source. Based on every news story I have read or heard on the matter, including links earlier in this thread, suggest that the list is by and large made up of people who are guilty of nothing more than various degrees of incitement. Samir al Quntar is the exception rather than the rule.

Savage says something like "they have lumped me in with murderers and terrorists" - but he is exaggerating rather wildly.

Quote:
Neither the Brits, Savage or Savage's enemies i the US care if he gets a few more ratings. I believe the intention of this list was to get Savage in the headlines as the bad-guy, which will give his adversaries in the US an edge in their cause to get him off the air.

Well, that may turn out to be the case, but I think it's too vividly conspiratorial to be true. I think the prevailing attitudes towards freedom of speech in the US and UK are too powerful to make this sort of ban a viable tactic in a smear campaign. Besides, Secretaries of State often draw up lists like this. Most of the other people on the list were unknowns as well.

As an aside, what do you make of banning the Phelpses or the Grand Wizard of the KKK?

Quote:
Please elaborate, what pressure? I'm not very into British domestic politics.

In short, the Labour Party seem to have run out of steam after over a decade in power. There is a recession on with lots of job losses. A number of scandals involving MPs expenses - at a time when most British people are in need of more money - are raging, and Smith is prominently under the spotlight due to stories about her husband hiring an erotic DVD and writing it off as expenses.

Our involvement in the Iraq war is veiwed with contempt by many British people due to the inconsistent cassus belli Tony Blair made for the regime change. As a result I think Savage might have been targetted because Smith thought scapegoating a loud advocate of what British people percieve as the ugly side of the US might win some sympathy from the public - but it has pretty much backfired.

Now I can't be sure of any of this - and I agree that it is also somewhat conspiratorial, but there needn't be any US involvement in this at all.

EmperorNero

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 10:11 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;62178 wrote:
Well I don't know anything about mobs of gay-bashing muslims in Amsterdam. Not to wish to cast aspersions on your sources Nero, but based on the fact that you do seem to be taking the odd isolated news story or rumour and building a worldview out of it could I ask what your sources are?

Anti-Gay Violence Is a Problem in Amsterdam - ABC News
I think the story gets around mentioning muslims, but you can do a quick google search.

Dave Allen;62178 wrote:
Based on the cases of people like Salman Rushdie I would say the general muslim populace of the UK is also more tolerant than it was 20 years ago. A wahabbist movement committing violence as a response to political problems in the middle east. My own Muslim friends and aquaintances, of which I have a few, are more homophobic in general than non-muslim friends - but I've never heard them wish death on a homosexual - just that they find the practice revolting and ungodly. The thin end of the wedge perhaps, but I'd be willing to bet that mobs of muslim gay-bashers are not likely to become a feature of British life.

Let's hope so.
Poll reveals 40pc of Muslims want sharia law in UK - Telegraph
In defense of your muslim friends, are they really "homophobic" or just against gay marriage/think homosexuality is immoral.

Dave Allen;62178 wrote:
Samir al Quntar didn't kill anyone in Britain. Where the banned individuals performed the acts that banned them is irrelevent.

Savage didn't incite any anti-gay sentiment anywhere else either. He was outspoken against gay marriage.
Barack Obama is against gay marriage as well.

Dave Allen;62178 wrote:
I don't really give a monkey's what he thinks about homosexuals. I actually do think his "get AIDS and die" remark was an attempt at black humour (not a very funny one, but it doesn't really offend me, home grown black humourists like Chris Morris and Jerry Sadowitz are far edgier).

Then the question remains why he, compared to the others a moderate, was banned.

Dave Allen;62178 wrote:
Well the point for me is that this is a philosophy forum, which is meant to be about the discussion of the nature of knowledge and truth - so if it looks like a participant is just pulling facts out of the air to support their side of the debate I think it's fair to point out that available evidence is to the contrary. If you know that other people on the list are dangerous criminals by all means cite your source. Based on every news story I have read or heard on the matter, including links earlier in this thread, suggest that the list is by and large made up of people who are guilty of nothing more than various degrees of incitement. Samir al Quntar is the exception rather than the rule.

You are right. I hoped I could get around the effort of searching for it, but here it is.
The Home Office list of people banned from the UK | UK news | guardian.co.uk
Seems you are pretty much right, most of those people never directly killed anyone. But Hitler and Charlie Manson never killed anyone themselves. It seems that these people are actively sporting violence. how is Dr. Savage anywhere near that. What did he say that was so bad?

Dave Allen;62178 wrote:
Well, that may turn out to be true, but I think it's too vividly conspiratorial to be true. Secreties of State often draw up lists like this. Most of the other people on the list were unknowns as well.

A call, could you put Michael Savage on your next list, isn't really a big conspiracy.

And you might have a point that they put Savage - a conservative - on that list so British the muslims wouldn't protest over that list mostly containing muslim preachers.

Dave Allen;62178 wrote:
As an aside, what do you make of banning the Phelpses or the Grand Wizard of the KKK?

Phelpses should be in prison for demonstrating at soldiers funerals that God killed them for America legalizing gay marriage. I would have no problem with a soldiers parent killing him, and I would do so myself if I was in that situation.
He can hate gays, if he keeps that to himself.

I don't know the KKK guy, but it seems he is an outright violence-supporting white racist, so it seems justified. But I would have to insist that the same standards apply to black racists.

Dave Allen;62178 wrote:
As a result I think Savage might have been targetted because Smith thought scapegoating a loud advocate of what British people percieve as the ugly side of the US might win some sympathy from the public - but it has pretty much backfired.

That might be.

Dave Allen;62178 wrote:
Now I can't be sure of any of this - and I agree that it is also somewhat conspiratorial, but there needn't be any US involvement in this at all.

Conspiracy theory means merely that people work together in secret. The Mafia was a conspiracy theory before it was uncovered in the 60's and turned out to be true, so did Watergate. People tend to work together, that's a conspiracy.
Theory is the highest status a explanation can achieve outside of math. So the term conspiracy theory does not mean that an explanation must be false.

Dave Allen

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 07:34 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
Anti-Gay Violence Is a Problem in Amsterdam - ABC News
I think the story gets around mentioning muslims, but you can do a quick google search.

It doesn't. Neither does it say that such violence is on the increase. The story says that Amsterdam is seen as a safe place for homosexuals, but there is a fair degree of violence aimed at them - but no more than there was historically. The story seems to me to be about city authorities expressing disappointment that the situation's no better than it is.

That a large minority of muslims want muslim holy law is hardly shocking is it? It's like Rusty in the YouTube clip you posted earlier claiming that a Muslim saying he believes that one day Islam will conquer the world is tantamount to hate speech. Perhaps one can extrapolate such from the message - but let's face it - most monotheists either overtly or covertly believe that their faith will prove to be the right one, and that people of other faiths will suffer 'in this life or the next' (even if the suffering is just the shame of knowing you were on the wrong 'side' - or the worst possible threat which is that of ceaseless eternal torture). Jewish and Christian visions of the end times are similarly violent images of world wide war and conquest. So what?

This isn't a point about muslims being nuts - religious people as a whole, and monotheists in particular, tend to go in for this kind of Revelation.

Quote:
In defense of your muslim friends, are they really "homophobic" or just against gay marriage/think homosexuality is immoral.

I don't see the difference. If I took a dislike to someone based on thinking they were immoral it could only be based on fear of their behaviour or the influence of their example. It is a phobia.

Quote:
Savage didn't incite any anti-gay sentiment anywhere else either. He was outspoken against gay marriage.
Barack Obama is against gay marriage as well.

That's a shame - we're either equal or we aren't after all.

It seems to me that Christians in the US think they OWN marriage - which is a crock. Every time I see some commentator on the subject justify the ban they turn to the bible.

Clearly those who care about equality in the US should desert the churches. This will hit them where it hurts - their pockets - and all but the most fundamental will soon come round (as some already are).

Quote:
Then the question remains why he, compared to the others a moderate, was banned.

You are right. I hoped I could get around the effort of searching for it, but here it is.
The Home Office list of people banned from the UK | UK news | guardian.co.uk
Seems you are pretty much right, most of those people never directly killed anyone. But Hitler and Charlie Manson never killed anyone themselves. It seems that these people are actively sporting violence. how is Dr. Savage anywhere near that. What did he say that was so bad?

I don't know and don't really care. As I say I oppose the banning of people based on what they say alone.

In the case of Hitler and Manson these people did erect an infrastructure about them using varying degrees of extortion, intimidation, brainwashing and political or philosophical manipulation - and then ordered those within the infrastructure to commit violence. Obviously they did this in various different ways and with different degrees of success (if success is the right word to use in relation to those who wish to start race wars).

Now some of the people on the list were trying to build such infrastructure - and a radio show or audience at a mosque might be judged such - but I would personally not advocate bans based on a mere hunch on such matters.

Quote:
And you might have a point that they put Savage - a conservative - on that list so British the muslims wouldn't protest over that list mostly containing muslim preachers.

I suspect it is the left wing media - who normally support the Labour Party - who they were trying to placate.

Quote:
Theory is the highest status a explanation can achieve outside of math. So the term conspiracy theory does not mean that an explanation must be false.

With relevence to Science theory is highest status a hypothesis or body of hypotheses can achieve, and therefore as close to mathmatical proof that scientific ideas can come in terms of certainty.

However, the colloquial use of the word theory usually just means a hypothesis or guess. This is why a theory that the moon is made of cheese is nowhere near the theory of electromagnetism in terms of scientific credibility (though moons made of cheese are arguably more important than electromagnetism as far as folklore and children's fiction is concerned). It's also why Creationists prove they have no understanding of science when they claim that evolution is "only a theory" and is therefore as credible as the theory of intelligent design.

Conspiracy theories are usually hypotheses or guesses with only anecdotal evidence or coincidental evidence, or lack thereof, to back them up - and they usually come about to suit a political agenda.

For example: The theory that Jewish workers at the world trade centre took a mass duvet day on 9/11.

Hard evidence of the Nixon Administration bugging the Democrat HQ was found - which made theories about that particular conspiracy credible.

EmperorNero

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 12:31 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;62265 wrote:
It doesn't. Neither does it say that such violence is on the increase. The story says that Amsterdam is seen as a safe place for homosexuals, but there is a fair degree of violence aimed at them - but no more than there was historically. The story seems to me to be about city authorities expressing disappointment that the situation's no better than it is.

Well, if intolerance doesn't go down in the capital of tolerance, there might be a problem with the shiny prospect of the tolerance police.

Gays Against Radical Islam Blog Archive First They Came For The Gays

Dave Allen;62265 wrote:
That a large minority of muslims want muslim holy law is hardly shocking is it? It's like Rusty in the YouTube clip you posted earlier claiming that a Muslim saying he believes that one day Islam will conquer the world is tantamount to hate speech. Perhaps one can extrapolate such from the message - but let's face it - most monotheists either overtly or covertly believe that their faith will prove to be the right one, and that people of other faiths will suffer 'in this life or the next' (even if the suffering is just the shame of knowing you were on the wrong 'side' - or the worst possible threat which is that of ceaseless eternal torture). Jewish and Christian visions of the end times are similarly violent images of world wide war and conquest. So what?

This isn't a point about muslims being nuts - religious people as a whole, and monotheists in particular, tend to go in for this kind of Revelation.

I don't think that is accurate. Sure, many religious people are nuts, but Jews and Christians have reformed. How many Jews or Christians have bombed something lately?
Just saying: Well, all religions are kinda wacky. Doesn't really cut it for me.

GayPatriot Gay Bashing in Amsterdam goes Unnoticed in US

Dave Allen;62265 wrote:
I don't see the difference. If I took a dislike to someone based on thinking they were immoral it could only be based on fear of their behaviour or the influence of their example. It is a phobia.

That's pretty frightening. One can regard homosexuality as immoral or reject gay marriage without disliking gays. If you believe that all opposition to gayness is due to bigotry and hate, you are where the activist groups want you to be.
I don't have a problems with gays or gay marriage. Still I notice that most of the activists claims are lies.
All Americans equally prohibited from marrying the other gender. So that is how discriminating on sexual preference?

Dave Allen;62265 wrote:
That's a shame - we're either equal or we aren't after all.

We're not. I don't think you're saying that we all should be equal under the law. Should I be treated the same under the law as someone who is blind? Then I want the same benefits please.

The government can have certain objectives that include treating certain people differently than others. The majority of the population thinks that it should restrict all Americans from marrying the other gender. they might be wrong, but that reasoning could be used to "interpret" all laws away.

Dave Allen;62265 wrote:
It seems to me that Christians in the US think they OWN marriage - which is a crock. Every time I see some commentator on the subject justify the ban they turn to the bible.

The activists create this image of all opposition of gay marriage being motivated by religion or bigotry. It helps their cause.
For how many other political topics is that the case? Seems to be a little too good to be true.

Dave Allen;62265 wrote:
Clearly those who care about equality in the US should desert the churches. This will hit them where it hurts - their pockets - and all but the most fundamental will soon come round (as some already are).

They are coming around because they are screamed at, their property is vandalized for donating to 'yes on prop 8' (a vote on gay marriage in california). Methods of voter intimidation that should be prohibited in a free republic. Yet politicians are afraid to speak up against the activists, for they would be brought down by homophobia accusations.

I don't really care about gay marriage but I fear for the republic if pressure groups can get their way with those tactics.

Dave Allen;62265 wrote:
I don't know and don't really care. As I say I oppose the banning of people based on what they say alone.

In the case of Hitler and Manson these people did erect an infrastructure about them using varying degrees of extortion, intimidation, brainwashing and political or philosophical manipulation - and then ordered those within the infrastructure to commit violence. Obviously they did this in various different ways and with different degrees of success (if success is the right word to use in relation to those who wish to start race wars).

Now some of the people on the list were trying to build such infrastructure - and a radio show or audience at a mosque might be judged such - but I would personally not advocate bans based on a mere hunch on such matters.

I think we agree. I think a lot of those "preachers" on the list were actively planning and helping violence. You said that you don't agree with banning Michael Savage, and I also think that he is nowhere near that.

Dave Allen;62265 wrote:
I suspect it is the left wing media - who normally support the Labour Party - who they were trying to placate.

That might be. I suspect the purpose of banning a Jewish conservative, who by many muslims will be perceived as a boogeyman, might help to tone down the news of the British government banning a bunch of radical muslims. And putting Savage on that list did that pretty well.

In that case Savage was a scapegoat to appease muslims/the leftie media, which isn't really a cheery prospect at all. So now we have to throw a Jewish conservative in front of the bus every time we want to combat radical islamists?

Maybe your media didn't report that part but Savage has good chances in a lawsuit claiming deformation of his character. (I do think he sues to get attention and ratings.)

Dave Allen;62265 wrote:
With relevence to Science theory is highest status a hypothesis or body of hypotheses can achieve, and therefore as close to mathmatical proof that scientific ideas can come in terms of certainty.

However, the colloquial use of the word theory usually just means a hypothesis or guess. This is why a theory that the moon is made of cheese is nowhere near the theory of electromagnetism in terms of scientific credibility (though moons made of cheese are arguably more important than electromagnetism as far as folklore and children's fiction is concerned). It's also why Creationists prove they have no understanding of science when they claim that evolution is "only a theory" and is therefore as credible as the theory of intelligent design.

Conspiracy theories are usually hypotheses or guesses with only anecdotal evidence or coincidental evidence, or lack thereof, to back them up - and they usually come about to suit a political agenda.

For example: The theory that Jewish workers at the world trade centre took a mass duvet day on 9/11.

Hard evidence of the Nixon Administration bugging the Democrat HQ was found - which made theories about that particular conspiracy credible.

Yes, usually conspiracy theories are wacky guesses. But they might also be reasonable explanations. I just wanted you to not be distracted by the term. People with similar interest work together, and they sometimes do so in secret.
Shall we call them 'covered plan explanations' instead? I guess usually a conspiracy theory has little evidence. Then evidence, making an explanation likely, means it's not a conspiracy theory any more.

Dave Allen

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 02:29 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
Well, if intolerance doesn't go down in the capital of tolerance, there might be a problem with the shiny prospect of the tolerance police.

The point being that the title 'capital of tolerance' wasn't warranted in this respect. Areas fo Britain are more tolerant in terms of assaults on homosexuals than Amsterdam is, or ever was by the look of the article.

Quote:
I don't think that is accurate.

Just read Revelation or Deuteronomy (if you can cope with the boredom).

Quote:
Sure, many religious people are nuts, but Jews and Christians have reformed. How many Jews or Christians have bombed something lately?

Lots. Maybe some worldwide tally of 'blowers up of things' might indicate one per capita group as being the most 'blowy up faith' - I suspect Jewish people myself if we are talking civilian deaths caused in the last 50 years or so, calculated per head of the theological beliefs of those responsible. However - that would be to ignore social factors and national (in)security. Labelling a particular group as more violent than another is never likely to be able to be backed up by unbiased evidence - and even if it were, the historical story of that group is always more complicated than what religion they happen to follow. Would Isreal be as bellicose were it not for centuries of pogroms and prejudice? The answer is surely not.

Quote:
That's pretty frightening. One can regard homosexuality as immoral or reject gay marriage without disliking gays. If you believe that all opposition to gayness is due to bigotry and hate, you are where the activist groups want you to be.

I never said anything about hate - I specifically and solely blame it on fear. Fear is the guiding motivation, whether or not actual hatred results. I don't think hate is necessary for bigotry. Almost all Christian bigotry can be justified by a desire to keep people from eternal torture - a nice thing if it's sincere, but it's still bigotry.

So even if one discriminates for entirely gentle and loving reasons - it is still bigotry. It's not ugly raging "kill em all" bigotry, but bigotry it remains. Why dress it up in euphemisms?

Quote:
All Americans equally prohibited from marrying the other gender. So that is how discriminating on sexual preference?

I thought it depended on what state you were in.

Quote:
We're not. I don't think you're saying that we all should be equal under the law. Should I be treated the same under the law as someone who is blind? Then I want the same benefits please.

I think choosing examples from people who are discriminated in favour of due to disability is pretty tangental. The reason certain laws might apply to the blind is because they cannot utilise a very important sense. I don't see how being deprived of one's sight is equivalent to fancying people of the same gender.

Perhaps the lack of clarity is my fault - all things being equal in terms of disability I think it an admirable social goal to promote equality, and therefore see no barrier to same-sex marriage other than bigotry.

Quote:
They are coming around because they are screamed at, their property is vandalized for donating to 'yes on prop 8' (a vote on gay marriage in california). Methods of voter intimidation that should be prohibited in a free republic. Yet politicians are afraid to speak up against the activists, for they would be brought down by homophobia accusations.

I don't really care about gay marriage but I fear for the republic if pressure groups can get their way with those tactics.

Not that I agree with property destruction really, but if shouting nasty things at people is intimidation and accusation of an unfair sort then Jacqui Smith is probably right to ban Savage from the UK after all. If those chaps are breaking actual laws then they should be prosecuted, but being rowdy and venting - that's free speech at work.

If its OK for adults from one side of the debate to be loud and triumphalist then why can't the others be loud and annoyed?

Quote:
Maybe your media didn't report that part but Savage has good chances in a lawsuit claiming deformation of his character. (I do think he sues to get attention and ratings.).

It has reported on his plans to sue. I don't see how he has a good chance bearing in mind that the UK isn't a signatory to the same free speech laws he seems to cite - posterity will judge.

Quote:
Shall we call them 'covered plan explanations' instead? I guess usually a conspiracy theory has little evidence. Then evidence, making an explanation likely, means it's not a conspiracy theory any more.

Give it whatever euphemism you want - but ultimately it is a conspiracy theory. Posterity will judge again...

EmperorNero

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 04:59 pm
@TickTockMan,
What is left that we disagree on? We largely agree on the matter of Michael Savage being banned. This gay stuff debate could go on forever and never leads to any agreement, I attempted that before. And in the case you should care about my global warming conspiracy theory see here.

Quote:
The point being that the title 'capital of tolerance' wasn't warranted in this respect. Areas fo Britain are more tolerant in terms of assaults on homosexuals than Amsterdam is, or ever was by the look of the article.

I am saying that embracing "tolerance" doesn't have the desired effects. I was pointing out that letting radical Islam unopposed because of diversity and multiculturalism leads to less tolerance. Amsterdam certainly is the capital of modern liberal ideas with its legal pod, endorsements of gayness, diversity and multiculturalism. That it does not have the desired effects does only prove my point, since even good old Britain is more tolerant than Amsterdam.

Quote:
Labelling a particular group as more violent than another is never likely to be able to be backed up by unbiased evidence - and even if it were, the historical story of that group is always more complicated than what religion they happen to follow.

I don't quite get that. Radical islamists are blowing stuff up, other religions are not. So what are you saying about that? "Well we can't really pinpoint that one group is more violent than the other."
Yes we can. It's right here.

Quote:
2009.05.06 Pakistan Dera Ismail Khan 0 14 A Muslim militant throws a grenade into a rival mosque during prayer time, injuring fourteen.
2009.05.06 Pakistan Buner 4 0 A woman is among four civilians murdered by fundamentalists in two incidents.
2009.05.06 Iraq Baghdad 15 46 Jihadis successfully kill fifteen patrons of an outdoor marketplace with a well-placed bomb.
2009.05.06 Iraq Mosul 1 2 An 11-year-old boy is taken out by Mujahideen bombers.
2009.05.06 Pakistan Nazar Muhalla 1 0 A woman is shot to death in an honor killing when 'illicit' relations are suspected.
2009.05.05 Pakistan Peshawar 7 48 Two children are among seven people blown apart by a Holy Warrior car bomber.
2009.05.05 Pakistan Mohmand 2 6 Sunni militants attack a checkpost, killing at least two defending officers.
2009.05.05 Iraq Kirkuk 1 0 A man is kidnapped and tortured to death by suspected al-Qaeda.
2009.05.04 Pakistan Peshawar 5 12 Five local cops are murdered in two attacks, including a Fedayeen bombing.
2009.05.04 Iraq Baghdad 4 6 Muslim bombers take out four Iraqis.
2009.05.04 Philippines Tulunan 3 6 Moro Islamists attack a banana plantation, killing three civilians.
2009.05.04 Afghanistan Zabul 7 10 A mayor is among seven people blown to bits by a 14-year-old suicide bomber.
2009.05.04 Afghanistan Zabul 12 0 Women and children are represented among the twelve victims of Sunni fundamentalist bombers.
2009.05.04 Thailand Yala 1 0 Muslim insurgents shoot a 70-year-old man to death inside his home.
2009.05.04 Afghanistan Zabul 8 0 The Taliban murder eight people working a construction crew in a brutal ambush.
2009.05.03 Pakistan North Waziristan 2 0 The bodies of two Taliban kidnap victims are found riddled with bullets.
2009.05.03 Afghanistan Helmand 4 7 An 8-year-old girl and 10-year-old boy are among four murdered in a Taliban bomb blast.
2009.05.03 Pakistan Swat 2 0 Two security officers are kidnapped and beheaded by Islamists.
2009.05.03 Iraq Mosul 3 4 Terrorists take out three Iraqis with a car bomb.
2009.05.03 Somalia Mogadishu 11 15 Eleven African peacekeepers are murdered in a Mujahid suicide attack.
2009.05.03 Thailand Narathiwat 2 1 A construction worker is among two people killed in separate Muslim attacks.
2009.05.03 Thailand Narathiwat 1 1 Islamic fundamentalists shoot a 59-year-old pork vendor to death and injure an accompanying minor.
2009.05.03 Israel Ramat Gan 0 1 An Israeli soldier riding a bus is stabbed in the neck by an Arab attacker.
2009.05.02 India Baramulla 1 2 A 10-year-old boy is killed by a Jihadi bomb.
2009.05.02 Iraq Kirkuk 3 0 Three civilians are taken down in a Mujahideen roadside blast.
2009.05.02 Pakistan Bajaur 1 5 Sunni militants kill a man and injure five women in a rocket attack on their homes.
2009.05.02 Iraq Mosul 2 3 Two US soldiers are shot to death by a local imam wearing a Coalition uniform.
2009.05.02 Pakistan Mingora 2 0 Two government officials are kidnapped and beheaded by religious extremists.
2009.05.01 Afghanistan Kunar 10 8 Ten security force personnel are killed when Islamic militants attack a base.
2009.05.01 Iraq Mosul 5 6 A Shiite family of five is blown to bits by a Fedayeen suicide bomber in a cafe.
2009.05.01 Pakistan Miranshah 1 0 A civilian is murdered by Sunni extremists on suspicion of spying.

And that's only the first 6 days of this month. You show me the list of what Christians blew up this month.

I'm not saying you claimed this, but I don't get people who claim that all that is wrong with the world is religion, then they point to examples of Islam or he 1200's and go ahead and fight Christianity. It seems to me they just want to pick on "the man".

And why are you blending Israels military in with terrorism? How is Israel responsible for it's enemies hiding behind civilians? Even per capita Jews are less blow-up-ee than muslims.

Quote:
I never said anything about hate - I specifically and solely blame it on fear. Fear is the guiding motivation, whether or not actual hatred results. I don't think hate is necessary for bigotry. Almost all Christian bigotry can be justified by a desire to keep people from eternal torture - a nice thing if it's sincere, but it's still bigotry.

So even if one discriminates for entirely gentle and loving reasons - it is still bigotry. It's not ugly raging "kill em all" bigotry, but bigotry it remains. Why dress it up in euphemisms?

Well, I personally don't care about gayness. But some Christians do. I don't think they dislike the person, just the choice.
You just defined all disagreement with a political agenda as bigotry.

Quote:
I think choosing examples from people who are discriminated in favour of due to disability is pretty tangental. The reason certain laws might apply to the blind is because they cannot utilise a very important sense. I don't see how being deprived of one's sight is equivalent to fancying people of the same gender.

Hmm... ok. Only to play the devils advocate. How about polygamy, marrying ones sister, a minor, or dogs? Why should those restrictions stay government objectives but not this restriction?

Quote:
Perhaps the lack of clarity is my fault - all things being equal in terms of disability I think it an admirable social goal to promote equality,

Why does society make laws? Obviously to prevent harm and keep order. Why are there drunk driving laws? It does not harm anyone to drive drunk. So why is it a government objective to restrict me from driving drunk and thereby take my freedom, if I wanted to do that? Because we seem to have decided that it is likely to cause harm. That is enough to restrict it, because we decide we want to.
We have a process for that. To a large degree it's democratic, but the majority can not declare anything. There are rules, a constitution, on what the majority may decide. A majority of Americans seems to think marrying the other gender is harmful to society and hence a valid government objective. All restrictions of the government per definition take someones freedom. If the minority does not like the restriction, they can challenge it in court. The supreme court should interpret whether the constitution forbids the laws that the majority voted for or not. And since the meaning of words can be "interpreted" away, the judges can decide whatever they want. The problem is that the judges going wild is normally hold in check by the legislator, but the legislator is elected, hence it can not dare to speak up against activist judges and bring upon the wrath of the gay lobby. That is why calling people bigots is such an important political tool.

Quote:
If those chaps are breaking actual laws then they should be prosecuted,

What politician is going to dare to lose his career over prosecuting them? The activist groups are circumventing the democratic process with shouting homophobia. Maybe they do that for a noble cause, but I don't like their methods.

Quote:
It has reported on his plans to sue. I don't see how he has a good chance bearing in mind that the UK isn't a signatory to the same free speech laws he seems to cite - posterity will judge.

I don't understand either but they said that he had good chances with that because the Brits couldn't just put a radio host on a list with a bunch of terrorists. And I didn't get that from Savages show.

Dave Allen

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 03:54 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
I don't quite get that. Radical islamists are blowing stuff up, other religions are not. So what are you saying about that? "Well we can't really pinpoint that one group is more violent than the other."
Yes we can. It's right here.

And that's only the first 6 days of this month. You show me the list of what Christians blew up this month.

I doubt the media would make such comparitive lists available - the eyes are currently on the Muslim world as an area of unrest.

10 years ago it might have been a similar story in regards to Christians killing Muslims and other Christians in Bosnia, or Christians slaughtering a million other Christians in Rwanda. Go back further and there were the 40 million victims of Roman Catholic Germany in WW2, 11 million of which were systematically murdered to some degree. History's only successful Genocide was carried out by Protestant Britain.

Quote:
And why are you blending Israels military in with terrorism? How is Israel responsible for it's enemies hiding behind civilians? Even per capita Jews are less blow-up-ee than muslims.

Never said Israel's military were terrorists - but that per capita Israelis are probably responsible for more civilian deaths than any other modern nation state, including failed states. It is not only terrorists that blow things up, and we were specifically talking about 'people who blow things up'.

Quote:
Well, I personally don't care about gayness. But some Christians do. I don't think they dislike the person, just the choice.
You just defined all disagreement with a political agenda as bigotry.

It can be, but I personally think this is another tangetal point. A concpetual system of how to organise a society is different to a desire for fair mindedness in regards to a human right.

One might have a knee-jerk reaction to someone with a different political ideology - or one might also wish to debate them and understand their viewpoint. Most people who are passionate about politics don't so much fear opposing views, as acknowledge that in order for a society to develop or react to changes.

There isn't a desire to exclude anyone from their rights or from equality based on their political opions, aside from the most extremist positions (EG: Sean Hannity's right-wing-only dating service strikes me as worryingly insane - but ony slightly so, I'm not losing sleep over it or anything).

Quote:
Hmm... ok. Only to play the devils advocate. How about polygamy, marrying ones sister, a minor, or dogs? Why should those restrictions stay government objectives but not this restriction?

I personally find it hard to get worked up about what happens between consenting adults - I'm sure you could think up some extreme examples, such as people who agree to have others kill and eat them - but let's treat them as marginal and clearly justifiably unlawful. Historically polygamy has been tied in with patriarchal societies and has been used as a tool to keep women in their place - which I object to. If those involved in a polygamous relationship are all happy enough with it I don't see an issue personally.

Children and animals are not consenting adults.

Not sure on brother-sister. Seems intrinsically yucky and an obvious forerunner of encouraging inbreeding. On the other hand it is between consenting adults. I guess it's pretty harmless unless a pregnancy results.

Quote:
Why does society make laws? Obviously to prevent harm and keep order. Why are there drunk driving laws? It does not harm anyone to drive drunk. So why is it a government objective to restrict me from driving drunk and thereby take my freedom, if I wanted to do that? Because we seem to have decided that it is likely to cause harm. That is enough to restrict it, because we decide we want to.

We seem to have decided that it is likely to cause harm based on evidence of the proportion of over-the-limit drivers who end up in accidents compared to those who aren't, and the knowledge that inebriation dulls sensation.

On the other hand the only rational argument I've seen the proponents of Prop 8 give is that to be homosexual means a greater risk of being depressed - which opponents of Prop 8 argue is entirely down to discriminatory measures - like Prop 8.

The USA, as a sovereign nation, would not exist had it not been for people who took direct action against their oppressors, and if appeal to majority values is righteous - then it was righteous to keep slaves up until the majority decided it wasn't.

Quote:
I don't understand either but they said that he had good chances with that because the Brits couldn't just put a radio host on a list with a bunch of terrorists. And I didn't get that from Savages show.

Well as we said earlier the people on the list are not "a bunch of terrorists". Calling them such is media spin on Savage's part. They are by and large people who have made inciteful remarks, as Savage has done.

Savage may be the least bonkers voice on the list - but if he were struck off then someone else would be the most moderate. You may have some Mullah going "well I said some angry things about Americans and Israelis in the heat of the moment - but I'm basically a nice guy - I've been taken out of context". Just like Savage does.

But as you say, there's no real disagreement here. Such lists are silly.

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 08:32 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;62396 wrote:
I doubt the media would make such comparitive lists available - the eyes are currently on the Muslim world as an area of unrest.

Now you know how we righties feel when the media doesn't report ones part of the story, eh? :flowers:

Dave Allen;62396 wrote:
Go back a but further and there were the 40 million victims of Roman Catholic Germany in WW2, 11 million of which were systematically murdered to some degree. History's only successful Genocide was carried out by Protestant Britain.

The problem is non-state violence. State violence is accountable to the backlash that it creates, such as the economic backlash. Hence it will be limited by the responsible states. They may be state funded, but the states are not accountable.
Muslims are the only religion who to a large degree commits non-state violence.
Not to mention that they do so to advance the worldwide caliphate and the nazis weren't exactly trying to bring catholicism to the world.
On the point of religionists being murderous I can only point to atheist China and Russia's history.

Dave Allen;62396 wrote:
Never said Israel's military were terrorists - but that per capita Israelis are probably responsible for more civilian deaths than any other modern regime. It is not only terrorists that blow things up, and we were specifically talking about 'people who blow things up'.

Israels is surrounded by enemies. If they were ceased to be attacked, there would be no violence at all.
Israel is not trying to occupy land, they could have hold a chunk of the middle east for half a century if they wanted.

Dave Allen;62396 wrote:
It can be, but I personally think this is another tangetal point. A concpetual system of how to organise a society is different to a desire for fair mindedness in regards to a human right.

All laws by definition restrict someone and all laws are arbitrarily decided upon. If the requirement for abolishing a law was that someone is restricted by it (read: his right is taken away) and that it is decided by someone, we'd have no laws at all.

I like the non-militant approach to gay marriage by the Europeans. They don't try to force it down the throats of everyone, you can just marry the other gender because it makes a lot of people happy, not because it is a right.

Dave Allen;62396 wrote:
I personally find it hard to get worked up about what happens between consenting adults. Historically polygamy has been tied in with patriarchal societies and has been used as a tool to keep women in their place - which I object to. If those involved in a polygamous relationship are all happy enough with it I don't see an issue personally.

Children and animals are not consenting adults.

Not sure on brither-sister. Seems intrinsically yucky and an obvious forerunner of encouraging inbreeding. On the other hand it is between consenting adults. I guess it's pretty harmless unless a pregnancy results.

All of those are arbitrary state restrictions. Even sending a murderer to prison is "discriminating" against him. - He is treated differently than everybody else.
Why is one state restriction backed by a majority fine, yet the other is not? Only that there is a screaming pressure group and that it is described by somewhat elusive semantics?

Dave Allen;62396 wrote:
We seem to have decided that it is likely to cause harm based on evidence of the proportion of over-the-limit drivers who end up in accidents compared to those who aren't, and the knowledge that inebriation dulls sensation.

Laws don't have to be based on statistics. It's enough that they are just decided upon.
Statistics just help to convince people.

Dave Allen;62396 wrote:
On the other hand the only rational argument I've seen the proponents of Prop 8 give is that to be homosexual means a greater risk of being depressed - which opponents of Prop 8 argue is entirely down to discriminatory measures - like Prop 8.

The proponents of prop 8 seem to think that it will hurt the nation if we let people marry the same gender.
They have a point. Empires that embraced homosexuality usually went away.

Another problem is the gay lobby wanting to teach in schools. Gay marriage would open their doors. Officially it would be treated as "equal", but in reality it would allow the gay lobby to indoctrinate children. It reminds me of the Edict of Milan, that was officially stating religious freedom, but in reality made christianity the state religion of the roman empire.

Dave Allen;62396 wrote:
But as you say, there's no real disagreement here. Such lists are silly.

I agree. It seems they threw a Jewish conservative on the list to appease the muslims when they wanted to ban a bunch of muslims.
Which is pretty frightening.

Dave Allen;62396 wrote:
Well as we said earlier the people on the list are not "a bunch of terrorists". Calling them such is media spin on Savage's part. They are by and large people who have made inciteful remarks, as Savage has done.

We agreed that the other people were not violent themselves, except for the skinheads who killed immigrants and that terrorist who killed a Jewish child.
Those people on the list actually say "Kill the Jews and the great devil 'n stuff" day in and day out. It's not a slip of the tongue in 2003. That clip about shoving Islam up their behind was in September 2001, the context was that he was addressing terrorists.
The people on the list were probably pretty high up in the command chain planning bombings themselves, knowing and supporting people who committed violence.
Savage has said on a few occasions said that he admires the work ethics of illegal aliens and has high regard to Islam as a personal faith.

Cheers

Dave Allen

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 09:06 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
Now you know how we righties feel when the media doesn't report ones part of the story, eh? :flowers:

They don't hold a monopolisation on desire for freedom of the press, or respect for honesty.

Quote:
The problem is non-state violence.

A problem is non-state violence. A state willing to kill civilians tends to do a better job than rag-tag militias.

Quote:
On the point of religionists being murderous I can only point to atheist China and Russia's history.

Or the Tamils.

Quote:
I like the non-militant approach to gay marriage by the Europeans. They don't try to force it down the throats of everyone, you can just marry the other gender because it makes a lot of people happy, not because it is a right.

In the UK certain militant acts were performed in resistence to legislation like clause 28, the current laid-back attitude might be a result of the fact that a debate was inspired by such acts.

Quote:
The proponents of prop 8 seem to think that it will hurt the nation if we let people marry the same gender.
They have a point. Empires that embraced homosexuality usually went away.

Every empire the world has ever seen rise, has pretty much gone on to fall. Homosexuality has had nothing to do with it. Rising and falling is what empires seem to do.

I don't see how the 'gay=social ruination' argument has any merit. Just take a look at the list of nations here:

LGBT rights by country or territory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Based on this evidence it would actually seem that those countries with a high degree of relative rights for homosexuals are actually more successful and enjoy a higher quality of life than those who do not.

Quote:
Another problem is the gay lobby wanting to teach in schools. Gay marriage would open their doors. Officially it would be treated as "equal", but in reality it would allow the gay lobby to indoctrinate children.

Indoctrinate children to do what? Be gay? Sounds like a load of nonsense really. I think the desired end result is to go "look, a large number of people in the world fancy members of their own gender. They are human too. There's nothing objectively at fault with them that isn't also at fault with those who fancy other genders. If you turn out to be this way yourself it needn't upset you".

That's what I was taught at school myself, and it didn't turn me gay.

Quote:
I agree. It seems they threw a Jewish conservative on the list to appease the muslims when they wanted to ban a bunch of muslims.
Which is pretty frightening.

The things the guy says are pretty equivalent to what the ranting mullahs and wabbhabists say. I would rather no one was barred due to speaking their mind - but I don't see how he is better than any of the others. His opinions are just as rank.

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 09:17 am
@TickTockMan,
Hey, I will respond if you want me to as I don't like to leave a debate.
But this has pretty much reached the point where we digressed completely
It's going to go in circles, we largely agree and it's not going to change anyones mind any more.
I think we would both be better of letting it go. Smile

Zetetic11235

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 02:18 pm
@EmperorNero,
First to the comment that Savage's last name is Wiener, he has been attacked on his show for this and in fact it is the reason for the outburst that ended his television show. Just as those like John Lebowitz "Stewart", whose views are entertaining but pandering and flawed, Savage has a stage name and simply wants to perform.

Michael Savage is an entertainer. He is highly educated(Phd in medical anthropology from U.C. Berkeley and holder of several masters degrees) and often has interesting discussions on non political matters. Many of these discussions are of higher quality than those heard on NPR and similar stations as they lack most of the soft spoken, repetitious, inane drivel. When it comes to politics Savage is a fiscal conservative, a pretty strong environmentalist (see his views on poaching, conditions for factory animals, ect.) who is iffy about global warming as all who don't understand the mathematics and science behind it should be(95+% of the population) though some days he comes out more strongly in doubt of it than he is qualified for. He is a social conservative, but has unusual views when compared to the likes of Limbaugh or Hannity (whom he berates often).

What this comes down to is a matter of opinion, and silencing someone because of a difference of opinion. Some of Savage's views I agree with, some I do not by any stretch of the imagination. I have never heard him directly condone violence nor anything that could resemble strong anti homosexuality except if it were only listened to in a very cursory way. Savage is not anti gay civil unions from what I have gathered (there have been shows where he has said as much). He does not refuse homosexuals who want to speak on his show and he is not rude to them, and in fact he has openly agreed with one man who was calling for gay civil unions.

Savage is simply a man who likes to publicly speak his mind, whether it makes sense to anyone else or not, and often has at least a few enriching things to say amidst all that many of you would disagree with.

Also, a word on the gay marriage issue:
The gay marriage approach makes little to no sense to me. Marriage is a choice to be left to the church even after it has been legalized, civil unions would be a much more sensible and far less stigmatic approach. If it is simply of a matter of unwillingness to compromise and approach strategically rather than by direct force of will then I am afraid they will not get what they want.

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Quote:"There's nothing objectively at fault with them that isn't also at fault with those who fancy other genders. "

Not true. Speaking from utility and utility alone homosexuality is pathological. No reproduction could take place and hence the unit is unless when it comes to its primary function: propagating the species. This is of course a (hopefully) soon to be outmoded problem as the potential for artificial wombs and the like come to replace the morally questionable surrogate motherhood.

There is of course no reason to treat homosexuals in a way that is unfair to them and disallows them that which is their right to do, at least no scientifically sound one.

xris

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 02:38 pm
@Zetetic11235,
I know very little about the man at appears not many others do.I remain to be convinced either way.One mans reason can be another's excess, as i have found by certain posters assuming my red credentials because of my socialist leanings.

Dave Allen

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 03:16 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235 wrote:
Not true. Speaking from utility and utility alone homosexuality is pathological.

It might be so in a society that was suffering a population crash, or needed to maximise reproductive efficiency to persist. To knock religion again - it can't be a coincidence that evangelical beliefs espousing a need to make converts also condemn same sex relationships, or that societies that seek to survive through exponential population growth, such as some African groups, or the Palestinians, are some of the most opposed to homosexual rights.

Because the easiest people to make adherants of are kids.

Seeing as population numbers in many areas of the world are reaching a state of critical mass it might be argued that homosexuality is actually a survival strategy, rather than a risk factor, whilst the average couple has more than 2 kids.

Besides it's not as if homosexuality equates to infertility. I doubt a lesbian couple who wanted children would have much trouble getting one. I know of gay couples who have brokered agreements with lesbian friends to "lie back and think of England" if need be.

By such reasoning infertile people, or those who just happen to not want children, are far more pathological - indicative of disease(?) - than homosexuals.

Quote:
The gay marriage approach makes little to no sense to me. Marriage is a choice to be left to the church even after it has been legalized, civil unions would be a much more sensible and far less stigmatic approach.

Why does marriage belong to the church? If marriage does belong to the church why do same sex couples threaten it in a manner that Hindus or atheists apparently do not?

If a particular church maintains that they will not wed homosexuals I doubt that is something that can be resolved - but that churches declare marriage between homosexuals to be something the state should proscribe is something that is none of their business really.

Zetetic11235

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 05:21 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen wrote:

By such reasoning infertile people, or those who just happen to not want children, are far more pathological - indicative of disease(?) - than homosexuals.

Of course, though pathological is not the word for it, thats sloppy logic/ ignorance of the meaning of the word. In the 'wild' so to speak, infertile animals are useless when it comes to their primary function:reproduction. Reproduction isn't necessarily just a means of having more children, its also a means of continuing your own 'bloodline', be that of any aesthetic value to you or not. In the Darwinian perspective, the infertile animal would be 'out of the loop'.

Dave Allen wrote:

Why does marriage belong to the church? If marriage does belong to the church why do same sex couples threaten it in a manner that Hindus or atheists apparently do not?

HA. Clearly you have never met a fundamentalist and asked him about atheists. Go listen to the atheist bashing Glen Beck, whom I despise. He draws millions of viewers and listeners.

Dave Allen wrote:

If a particular church maintains that they will not wed homosexuals I doubt that is something that can be resolved - but that churches declare marriage between homosexuals to be something the state should proscribe is something that is none of their business really.

The ability to marry belongs to 'the church' because only certain institutions are permitted to marry a couple by law, and the church(any religious institution whatsoever) reserves the right to marry who they choose as do the individuals (priests, what have you). Also, the term Church would include the Catholic church as a whole.

Also, marriage is primarily a religious matter, the benefits and legal aspect of which are civil, which is why legalizing gay civil unions is what makes more sense. Bearing that in mind, however, the laws against gay marriage make no sense once the civil unions are allowed.

Dave Allen

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 09:12 am
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235 wrote:
Of course, though pathological is not the word for it, thats sloppy logic/ ignorance of the meaning of the word.

I didn't introduce the term to the discussion, I used it to compare your assertion that homosexuality was pathological with some other examples that - by the same logic - are surely more so.

If you mean pathological to mean something other than "indicative of disease" what is it?

Quote:
HA. Clearly you have never met a fundamentalist and asked him about atheists.

Can't say I have - but it's beside the point I was trying to make. You claimed that "marriage is a choice to be left to the church even after it has been legalized", therefore I am interested in what you think about marrying people "outside" of the church in the sense of factors other than homosexuality.

If your assertion that marriage is to be left up to churches is the case, why should christian homosexuals be denied what hindu or atheist heterosexuals are legally allowed? Non-christian marriage presumably happens outside of the church - and is recognised by the state - so therefore the church should not have leave to dictate marriage.

The opinion of a fundamentalist has nothing to do with the question unless your opinion is somehow dictated by fundamentalists you claim to despise.

Quote:
The ability to marry belongs to 'the church' because only certain institutions are permitted to marry a couple by law, and the church(any religious institution whatsoever) reserves the right to marry who they choose as do the individuals (priests, what have you).

But not every institution able to marry people is religious, or do you not have registry offices in the US? I honestly don't know.

Once again - you seem happy to allow the church final word over something which it should have no remit over: the law. Given that the only tangible differences between a married couple and a non-married couple are legal I don't see how marriage is "primarily a religious matter" as you say - you are giving religion more credit than it warrants.

Besides, some churches apparently do want to go ahead and marry homosexual couples - I'm fairly sure that if there's a vaccuum there it could be quickly filled by homosexuals creating a new demonination, as I think some have done already - but presumably such demoninations have to abide to the pressure applied by those that do not, which shape the law.

Zetetic11235

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 01:03 pm
@Dave Allen,
Pathology: A departure or deviation from a normal condition, generally negative.
In psychology this would include behaviors such as erotomania, kleptomainia, generally any behavior beyond a persons control that can potentially cause harm to the afflicted person. For the above reason homosexuality has been placed in this category in the past. The reasoning is sound but only becuase it is considered in a vaccume for social reasons(homosexuality being abbored by many in the past).

Now that that has been cleared up; the reason your extension is drawn sloppily is because homosexuality, be it genetic or otherwise would be a psychological condition, and by extension neurological. Infertility does not have its basis in the mind, but rather is an altogether different mutation which I would not necessarily call pathological (of course the norm is subjective, and thus so is the word 'mutation').

Dave Allen wrote:

If your assertion that marriage is to be left up to churches is the case, why should christian homosexuals be denied what hindu or atheist heterosexuals are legally allowed?

It is not an assertion of opinion, it was a stated fact, as I will make clear.
In the United States, the secular analog to marriage is the civil union. This being the case, marriage is the domain of the 'church' a fortiori. This is why a push for gay civil unions is the proper way to go, all of the lgeal aspects of marriage are present, and that is all that is present. However; that being said, the State should make no laws restricting the Church from marrying whom it will, but the State is soley in charge of the legal aspects of marriage.

Also note that I am not right wing, I see no logical problem with gay marriage and also note that I am technically an agnostic by necessity of truth(I cannot disprove a god), though I would also fit into the spectrum of atheists as I do not believe in a god by virtue of Occham's Razor.

TickTockMan

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 03:05 pm
@TickTockMan,
Wow. And to think I started this thread just to make fun of Savage's real last name . . . The pronunciation, not the origin.

I guess I need to raise my maturity level a bit.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

And Good Lord. Speaking of maturity level . . . how in the world did I get a Rep Power of 2? I'm a complete idiot.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:56:13