Hello from Turkey.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hello from Turkey.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

lompa

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 09:51 am
First of all, i would like to say that it's really nice to see all the positve feedback everyone gets.

I am currently sailing for one year in the meditareinian (sp?) sea.
I am from israel but currently in turkey... I am pretty new to philosophy,
and i am enjoying each moment of it.

I've read thus spake zarathustra and enjoyed it very much.

Is there any good all-around history book of philosophy? (from socrates till now..) If so, I would like to hear about it.

Thank you very much.
Lompa.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 12:13 pm
@lompa,
Ah, Zarathustra - my first Nietzsche. Great book. As for an all round history of philosophy, you must be wise to look for such a thing, and the answer is yes. There are several great history of philosophy sets, and I definately recomend you get one. I'm not sure which one in particular to recomend - I have no idea what they would have in Turkey, or in what language you prefer to read. But really, and quality set of history of philosophy would be valuable to you.

For a quick introduction to some topics, Bertrand Russell's "The Problems of Philosophy" is great.

lompa

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 10:37 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
"i am not wise, i love wisdom" (Socrates, that quote is belived to give us the name "philosophers"
Philo-Love Sophy- wisdom).

I was five and a half years in the usa so i am capble of reading books in english.

Thanks.

de Silentio

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 07:00 pm
@lompa,
Quote:
Is there any good all-around history book of philosophy?

When you are ready to get more in depth, I recommend Frederick Copleston's "A History of Philosophy".

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hello from Turkey.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/08/2024 at 04:21:33