What value do you navigate by?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » What value do you navigate by?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 10:29 am
What value do you navigate by?

It appears to me that we sapiens need a "North Star" upon which to fix our voyage. We need a reference point upon which we can focus our attention when trying to determine what of value we can and should do in life.

Religion, or God, serves as the compass for some people; for others it is nationalism; for others the guiding value is to own as much good stuff as possible; to others it is power; for some it is family; and I guess there are many other such ultimate values.

I have tried to examine my inner voices to determine just what my primary value is and does it need to be changed. I have determined that, by some turn of events, perhaps completely willy-nilly, my value North Star is life on this planet. My guidance for fixing value is ultimately dependent upon its aiding or hindering life on this planet.

I often speculate that human life is a hindrance to maximizing the 'good life', of all life, on this planet. I often speculate that if all life on this planet were given a vote in this matter that they would throw sapiens overboard.

What do you think?

coberstakaDutchuncle

EmperorNero

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 01:32 pm
@coberst phil,
coberst wrote:
It appears to me that we sapiens need a "North Star" upon which to fix our voyage. We need a reference point upon which we can focus our attention when trying to determine what of value we can and should do in life. [/size]

Lately I have come to consider this north star as my moral duty, that I for some reason just "feel". It is hard to explain, but when only considering actions and not their consequences, I just sense the moral decision. I have not yet discovered a coherent system for these moral guidelines. Not letting Hitler drown would be my moral duty, yet murder would be moral in some circumstance, such as justified self-defense.
The goal of my guidelines is not creating happiness or "the Good", though it often has that effect. Usually the moral decision is marked by it being the harder decision.
I admit that technically this leaves the possibility of considering everything moral as long as one feels it as such, for example to kill infidels.

coberst wrote:
I often speculate that human life is a hindrance to maximizing the 'good life', of all life, on this planet. I often speculate that if all life on this planet were given a vote in this matter that they would throw sapiens overboard. [/SIZE]

What do you think?
[/SIZE]

I don't feel guilt for being the dominant species on the planet that possibly limits the 'good life' for other species.That's how it works. And then life is pretty eat or get eaten out there anyways.

nameless

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 02:18 am
@coberst phil,
I do not navigate. The universe 'navigates' (manifests) me. 'My nature' navigates me. What is, is, and is all that can be, Now! and Now! and Now!!! I do not 'believe' in 'choices' or 'will' or 'free-will'. They do not appear in reality as I perceive my corner of it.
"The moment is sufficient unto itself!"
What is, is fine (there is no alternative) with me. It being otherwise wouldn't change what is other then manifesting suffering into my life.
Peace

coberst phil

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 04:17 am
@coberst phil,

Beauty and morality are species of values.

George Santayana says that "all values must be ultimately intrinsic". He adds that the good, i.e. that which is desired, is good because of its consequences.

"Morality is a means and not an end; that it is the price of human non-adaptation, and the consequence of the original sin of unfitness. It is the compression of human conduct within the narrow limits of the safe and possible. Remove danger, remove pain, remove the occasion of pity, and the need of morality is gone. To say "thou shalt not" would then be impertinence."

If we think about it we can see herein why our moral consciousness recedes as our luxuries increase, and we can see why caring for another is more the characteristic of those who have little and is of lesser value to those who have much.

Quotes from The Sense of Beauty: Being The Outlines of Aesthetic Theory by George Santayana

Drizzt DoUrden

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 04:50 am
@coberst phil,
Them highest moral value for me is JUSTICE!
YouTube - Metallica - And Justice For All(Studio Version) With Lyrics

Khethil

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 05:47 am
@Drizzt DoUrden,
What first comes to mind, for me, has been my love of people. I've been a fan of the different ideas, views, beauties, personalities and habits for a long time. They're a never ending source of entertainment and curiosities....

But I think that's changing nowadays. What my 'North Star' is now I'm not sure I could quite say. There's so little that 'does it' for me anymore... age? apathy? who knows...

.... good discussion started, thanks.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » What value do you navigate by?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 04:18:40