Race

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Dave Allen

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 12:32 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
My whole point was that it doesn't.
What reverse catalyzing effect on the original evil?
Giving one guy something does not reverse another guy being discriminated against because they are of the same skin color.

No, but it levels the playing field in the given social gestalt - hence disproving claims of institutional prejudice. In my experience of life in Northern Ireland this does effectively diminish the feelings of bitterness within those communities that feel they have an historical disadvantage. It does not altogether assuage it - but it is the only way to effectively demonstrate a commitment to countering prejudice. This is the reverse catalyst I mention - because it provides a balm to the resentments of the disadvantages, and undue liberty taken on behalf of the advantaged.

Drizzt DoUrden

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 12:45 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen wrote:
As I stated earlier that there is a clear distinction in my mind between discrimination designed for the purposes of inclusion - which I think is of benefit to society - and one that discriminates for the purposes of exclusion - which I think marginalises minorities.

I guess we'll just have to disagree on that...

Quote:

If you aren't in favour of outright marginalisation of minorities what alternative solution to the problem of discrimination in favour of majorities in the workplace and/or academic world would you suggest get used instead?

There are already anti-discriminatory laws and it's really not that complicated to enforce them.

EmperorNero

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 12:49 pm
@EmperorNero,
Khethil;60489 wrote:
To say that any group of people (associated by race) as seeking excuses 'from personal responsibility' is a steriotypical, bigoted statement. I very much hope this was a mistake because this type of steriotyping isn't allowed.

I wasn't stereotyping any group. I apologize if I'm not very good at expressing my thoughts. I was referring to all humans in general.
What I wanted to say is that if I am rejected at a job interview, flunk a test or someone is a jerk to me, well then it's just bad luck or I screwed up. If I were black, the explanation that it's because of racism becomes available. This has nothing to do with my skin color or what kind of person I am, it were the same the other way around. If I have an explanation for my failure, that is not within myself, I will not try to correct it by changing myself. - And this explanation doesn't even require real racism, just the belief therein, which is why I dislike it so much when we emphasize and and remind of racism in order to fight it.

Khethil;60489 wrote:
PC Talk eh? Shall we diminish the contributions made by those trying to alleviate human bigotry by reducing their work to "PC Talk"?

I'm saying that counter-discrimination doesn't diminish bigotry.

Alleviate human bigotry? Should we compensate a race for what disproportionate evils have been done to them?

Khethil;60489 wrote:
Because its a sad-but-true legacy of humanity's behavior. From the earliest times to present day, in a thousand forms across every continent, there's a tendency towards "us and them"; to insult, demean, degrade and exclude those who don't feel "like us". If you don't see it then either you're badly uninformed or biased towards believing it doesn't exist.

I absolutely agree. There is a tendency towards excluding those, who we feel as different.
Sorry, but I don't see how the best thing we can do about this is amplifying these supposed differences by branding everyone into groups according to them, and insist that group-affiliations are a big deal and policies should be made according to them. Because the most important thing is that we treat each others according to these labels, and not just as people.

Khethil;60489 wrote:
What I find peculiar in this statement is that the very individuals you're name-calling here ('soft heads') are generally the ones who are fighting for the point you are (that race shouldn't be treated as anything more than a collection of non-impugning physical differences).

They want policies that distinguish between races to compensate for bigotry, I am for colorblindness.
I am opposed to discrimination both for bigoted and noble reasons.

Khethil;60489 wrote:
Also, I'm curious how it is you know their motivations? You're saying, 'they just want to feel fluffy' (which is by no means certain). How did you come by this information?

Subjective observation. If they wanted to do good they would not create this problem in order to fight it.

Khethil;60489 wrote:
And exactly how does the math work on this one? I'm very curious to hear - specifically - how the few years affirmative actions has been around is a 'bigger problem' than the millenia of racial violence and discrimination. Would you please enlighten us?

Well, it keeps us from not caring about differences between us and makes us not Americans but "the black woman" or "the gay guy".

Aedes;60490 wrote:
I'm sorry, but this is flagrantly ignorant of both history and reality. How is mass ghettoization, crappy overcrowded schools, political disenfranchisement, and grossly inadequate infrastructure funding not a predisposing factor? And what on earth do you know about denial of personal responsibility among impoverished black people? I've spent my entire career taking care of predominantly poor black and hispanic patients, and you know what -- they have hard lives and they work hard to make ends meet without any of the opportunities that I had growing up... and I've never heard an "excuse".

Well, if there are such injustices, we should eliminate them, right? Nobody is against equality here.
I btw. don't see what bad schools have to do with race. There are whites in bad schools, and there are blacks with privileged upbringings.
Can't we just be people?

Dave Allen;60491 wrote:
As an admittedly extreme example, I don't think my reaction to a racially motivated assault is "the problem" - the assault is. Neither do I think my reaction to racially motivated refusal to educate, employ or promote is "the problem". It is a problem proposed to counter a nastier problem.

I want to plant my flag firmly in the camp of those that oppose racial exclusivity, abuse and assault. I think the easiest and clearest way to do this is to support inclusivity. Affirmative action is the only policy that visibly demonstrates inclusivity, even though it is a discriminatory measure.

Can we agree that treating people differently because of race is the problem? Or do you think that treating each others according to race is not the problem, but only if we do so i a negative way?

Dave Allen;60491 wrote:
Not if you feel that the reason the current problem exists is to stem the other.

As an analogy:

Yes, you're right. But that depends on the circumstances.

A river often bursts its banks and floods a nearby village, spreading disease and destroying property.
What if to combat the floods, they sacrifice a children to the sun god?
It does not only not prevent the floodings, but these potential young people and strong villagers are not available to repair the village after the floodings.
Some villagers argue that no more children should be sacrificed. But the villagers don't believe them, as it is obvious that the floods come with the seasons, so it must be the sun god that causes them. Others call the blasphemous.

Dave Allen;60491 wrote:
Various reactions to events such as the election of a mixed-race president have me pretty convinced there are racists in the US

If the last presidential election showed me anything, it's that the guy got a lot of votes for being black. And any reasonable criticism was racism.

Dave Allen;60491 wrote:
I join you in hoping for a day when such measures are no longer needed, but I disagree that it's arrival can be counted on.

I hope so too, but what I'm saying is that the problems that affirmative action is supposed to fix are caused by it's side-effects. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy. As long as we divide Americans along racial lines for the right reasons, dividing them for the wrong reasons is not far away. The problem is dividing.

Dave Allen;60491 wrote:
Same point as my first - discrimination that encourages inclusivity is very different from that which encourages exclusivity. Where quotas wildly differ from proportional representation they clearly need to be realigned, and a certain amount of response to demand is also necessary (hence the Californian admissions system changes you tackle elsewhere).

The UC admissions system is an example of how tinkering with social engineering usually backfires.
Humans can't correctly anticipate this, it can't work in my humble opinion.

This is a real story: In a firestation there was a test every year, and the firemen with the best scores were always promoted. This worked out well until too small a percentage of the black and hispanic firemen didn't have high enough a score to get a promotion. The test was declared racist and nobody got a promotion. The firemen who had the highest test scores sued, because they thought they deserved the promotions. The court gave them right, as the fire station can't just screw them for the sake of proportionality.

Try throwing a coin 10 times, and tell me if the outcome is exactly 50-50. Racial make-up is just sometimes disproportionate.

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

Dave Allen;60548 wrote:
No, but it levels the playing field in the given social gestalt - hence disproving claims of institutional prejudice. In my experience of life in Northern Ireland this does effectively diminish the feelings of bitterness within those communities that feel they have an historical disadvantage. It does not altogether assuage it - but it is the only way to effectively demonstrate a commitment to countering prejudice. This is the reverse catalyst I mention - because it provides a balm to the resentments of the disadvantages, and undue liberty taken on behalf of the advantaged.

What you are referring to is in essence reparations. Tell me how far that should go. Should a racial group be compensated for disproportionate injustice that is done to them by other race groups?

Dave Allen

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 03:25 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
Alleviate human bigotry? Should we compensate a race for what disproportionate evils have been done to them?

I think a clear commitment to disowning such evils, assuring they will not creep back and attempting to mitigate their legacy is a level of compensation that leads to an equitable resolution without dramatically undermining the social or administrative order.
Quote:

Oh that's intriguing (if not exactly a suprise), what are the bigoted ones?

Quote:
Subjective observation. If they wanted to do good they would not create this problem in order to fight it.
The idea of a lesser evil actually seems to me to be conceptually beyond you, is this so?

Quote:
Well, if there are such injustices, we should eliminate them, right? Nobody is against equality here.
I btw. don't see what bad schools have to do with race. There are whites in bad schools, and there are blacks with privileged upbringings.
Can't we just be people?

Poorer schools tend to exist in poorer communities. The legacy of racism means that proportionally speaking african americans tend to live in poorer communities. Hence the link between schooling and race.

Quote:
Can we agree that treating people differently because of race is the problem? Or do you think that treating each others according to race is not the problem, but only if we do so i a negative way?

As I said earlier:

It may well seed bitterness and lost opportunity - true. The difference between affirmative action and racism as it is traditionally understood is that one is a proportional system of discrimination for the purposes of inclusivity, and the other is disproportionate, sometimes total, discrimination for the purposes of exclusivity.

As an admittedly extreme example, I don't think my reaction to a racially motivated assault is "the problem" - the assault is. Neither do I think my reaction to racially motivated refusal to educate, employ or promote is "the problem". It is a problem proposed to counter a nastier problem.

I want to plant my flag firmly in the camp of those that oppose racial exclusivity, abuse and assault. I think the easiest and clearest way to do this is to support inclusivity. Affirmative action is the only policy that visibly demonstrates inclusivity, even though it is a discriminatory measure.

Quote:
If the last presidential election showed me anything, it's that the guy got a lot of votes for being black. And any reasonable criticism was racism.

As far as I can see the mixed race candidate was head and shoulders above his competition in terms of clarity of vision and eloquence. That his opponent has chosen a demonstrably ignorant VP-in-waiting, who they had to hide away from interveiwers because every time she was sat in front of a moderately probing inquirer it became clear that beyond a few well-rehearsed responses she knew next to nothing about politics beyond her local suzeranity. Given that the main candidate was a visibly aging post-powerhouse his choice of VP broke the deal for many. His campaign was on shaky ground to start with given that he occupied rather odd political territory for a Republican. I was initially interested in McCain's success myself because of his green credentials and focus on scientific progress, though this was compromised by Palin's public disregard for such issues, embodied in her braying disparagement of research into genetic disorders performed on fruit flies (the same research that is making headway into understanding and potentially preventing disorders like autism which I think affects her own son). The fact that the previous head of the US administration had been polled as the least popular American president in history also must have played a big role in eroding public regard for the Republican agenda.

This isn't to say that the novelty of a mixed-race president didn't appeal to any voters, or that his minority status didn't fit with a fashion for Liberalism gestated in the wake of the Bush years - but to blame Obama's skin colour for his election seems to me to be in deep denial about the incompetence of his opposition and the incoherence of their campaign.

As I said I've no first hand experience of the US - but the fact that there was more to Obama's victory than "people wanted to vote for a black guy" is abundantly clear. One might think that blaming the Republican's defeat on the skin colour of the democrat, rather than the poor performance of the Republican candidate was a bit, you know, racist.

Quote:
I hope so too, but what I'm saying is that the problems that affirmative action is supposed to fix are caused by it's side-effects. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy. As long as we divide Americans along racial lines for the right reasons, dividing them for the wrong reasons is not far away. The problem is dividing.

A minority clearly are divided and you obviously feel among them, I sympathise to a degree - but it is also quite clear that at the current time the American gestalt feel such policies result in greater inclusion and integration, or just don't really care either way.

Quote:
The UC admissions system is an example of how tinkering with social engineering usually backfires.
Humans can't correctly anticipate this, it can't work in my humble opinion.

Humans usually get to where they want to go with a degree of trial and error. The system clearly produced results that were not pleasing to the gestalt, it was altered, now people are happier with it.

Quote:
Try throwing a coin 10 times, and tell me if the outcome is exactly 50-50. Racial make-up is just sometimes disproportionate

I don't see the relevance, most AA systems I know of work on a basis of requiring the workforce to represent the community on a proportional basis.

Quote:
What you are referring to is in essence reparations. Tell me how far that should go. Should a racial group be compensated for disproportionate injustice that is done to them by other race groups?

I am not myself certain of what exactly needs to be done by an authoratitive body in order to demonstrate that it is not institutionally prejudiced. Affirmative action seems to me to be the only method of doing so.

EmperorNero

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 06:40 am
@Dave Allen,
EmperorNero wrote:
Should we compensate a race for what disproportionate evils have been done to them?
Dave Allen;60647 wrote:
I think a clear commitment to disowning such evils, assuring they will not creep back and attempting to mitigate their legacy is a level of compensation that leads to an equitable resolution without dramatically undermining the social or administrative order.

Hmmm... you're being purposely ambiguous, I think. You know where I'm driving with this.
Lets say whites are disproportionately the victims of robbery. Does the white race have to be compensated for that?

EmperorNero wrote:
Dave Allen;60647 wrote:
Oh that's intriguing (if not exactly a suprise), what are the bigoted ones?

You know, if someone doesn't like them n-ners.

Dave Allen;60647 wrote:
The idea of a lesser evil actually seems to me to be conceptually beyond you, is this so?

I don't think that it is the case, I explained why.

Dave Allen;60647 wrote:
Poorer schools tend to exist in poorer communities. The legacy of racism means that proportionally speaking african americans tend to live in poorer communities. Hence the link between schooling and race.

Let's have some benefits for people from bad schools, not because of race.
1. Get's at the real problem.
2. Doesn't divide people into groups.

Dave Allen;60647 wrote:

As I said I've no first hand experience of the US - but the fact that there was more to Obama's victory than "people wanted to vote for a black guy" is abundantly clear. One might think that blaming the Republican's defeat on the skin colour of the democrat, rather than the poor performance of the Republican candidate was a bit, you know, racist.

Well he is pretty much considered a black guy, not mixed race. I'm not saying it makes sense, but that's how it is.
This is something people never agree on, but I like to give you my view of it:
He had the media on his side for being black, which pretty much decided the election (or some other reason). The whole 'Palin is stupid' thing was an invention. They could have made Biden or Obama look that silly, but that would have been racism.
Mainly because Obama never said anything, it was all just words. But that didn't matter.

And then there was the disapproval of Bush. That McCain was the absolute anti-Bush and Obamas policies were pretty much the same as Bushes didn't really matter, as long as the media didn't report on it.

There was a comedian who during the election asked people in a black neighborhood if they were going to vote Obama, sadly I can't find it now. Of course they all said yes. So then he asked them if they agree with some of Obamas policies, and they all said yes. But he named McCains policies, that are diametrically opposed to the ones of Obama. But they said yes, we support Obama for these policies.

Dave Allen;60647 wrote:
A minority clearly are divided and you obviously feel among them, I sympathise to a degree - but it is also quite clear that at the current time the American gestalt feel such policies result in greater inclusion and integration, or just don't really care either way.

Well, this is what it comes down too. And I believe that the faulty math is too simple to follow, and that's why they do it.

Quote:

Quote:
I am not myself certain of what exactly needs to be done by an authoratitive body in order to demonstrate that it is not institutionally prejudiced. Affirmative action seems to me to be the only method of doing so.

I made clear what I think should be done: Try to prevent racism for the future, not try to compensate the past.
And the authoritative body should not have to demonstrate that it is not institutionally prejudiced. What is that? Thought policing. Sounds a little too Orwellian to me.

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 07:13 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:

There was a comedian who during the election asked people in a black neighborhood if they were going to vote Obama, sadly I can't find it now. Of course they all said yes. So then he asked them if they agree with some of Obamas policies, and they all said yes. But he named McCains policies, that are diametrically opposed to the ones of Obama. But they said yes, we support Obama for these policies.

It wouldn't have mattered if it was Hillary Clinton or Obama as the candidate for the Democrats. African Americans historically vote about 90% for the Democratic candidate. Of course, more African Americans voted rather than abstaining than normal due to Obama not being a white male, but to percentage distributions that is irrelevant.

Dave Allen

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 07:28 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
Hmmm... you're being purposely ambiguous, I think. You know where I'm driving with this.
Lets say whites are disproportionately the victims of robbery. Does the white race have to be compensated for that?

I think so. Comparison between victims of robbery to insurance payouts, police time, cases brought to trial and other means by which society deals with burglary should demonstrate a proportionate response to demographics peculiarly affected in order to be effective.

Quote:
Let's have some benefits for people from bad schools, not because of race.
1. Get's at the real problem.
2. Doesn't divide people into groups.

School reforms are a part of the process.

Quote:
He had the media on his side for being black, which pretty much decided the election (or some other reason).

"Or some other reason"?

Brilliant.

Quote:
The whole 'Palin is stupid' thing was an invention. They could have made Biden or Obama look that silly, but that would have been racism. Mainly because Obama never said anything, it was all just words. But that didn't matter.

Media bias in the US seems to me to be split between overtly liberal pundits and overtly conservative ones. Popular news sources such as Fox news programmes tended to whitewash Palin's gaffes, but widely publicised Democratic ones or fixated on points like the ones I mentioned earlier. I am also reminded of the New Yorker Obama-as-Mullah cover. Obama said plenty - widely regarded this side of the pond as causing a renaissance in the art of oratory. The ease with which critical media channels were able to paint Palin as a thoughtless niaf is because of the stockpile of ammunition she provided them with based on just a few interviews, before apparently being pulled under a tarp by her campaign strategists before she could do any more damage.

Also, IF you were accurate in your description of a sinister and far-reaching negative media portrayal of the republican ticket (and I think you are just spouting conspiracies) then would the media not be culpable for Obama's win, rather than the proposition that "people just wanted to vote for the black guy"?

Quote:
And then there was the disapproval of Bush. That McCain was the absolute anti-Bush and Obamas policies were pretty much the same as Bushes didn't really matter, as long as the media didn't report on it.

Is this on YouTube?

Strikes me as odd that you will dismiss the public image presented by the media at large as a conspiracy, yet cite an act of entrapment by a comedian as pertinent. Presumably this experiment was not repeated on a demographic containing a high proportion of registered republicans? I'm not claiming that racial partizanship wasn't a factor (though given that black people tend to vote democrat the example given by the comedian may well demonstrate political partizanship rather than racial solidarity), just that claims making it out to be the only, or even the major factor, have no real grounding in reality.

Quote:
And the authoritative body should not have to demonstrate that it is not institutionally prejudiced. What is that? Thought policing. Sounds a little too Orwellian to me.

A little, but all institutions adopt a certain degree of accepted behaviourable norms. A clearly prejudiced regime, the Taleban for example, simply own up to their prejudices and order their ambit accordingly - with clear injustice arising as a result. I don't want to be party to anything of this ilk, and I don't want to second guess institutions within my society who may or may not be discriminating behind closed doors or with minimal tokenism.

EmperorNero

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 07:51 am
@Dave Allen,
Theaetetus;60666 wrote:
It wouldn't have mattered if it was Hillary Clinton or Obama as the candidate for the Democrats. African Americans historically vote about 90% for the Democratic candidate. Of course, more African Americans voted rather than abstaining than normal due to Obama not being a white male, but to percentage distributions that is irrelevant.

Yeah, that 's probably right. Still there were a lot of white-guilt votes and criticism of Obama could be dismissed as racism.

Dave Allen;60667 wrote:
I think so. Comparison between victims of robbery to insurance payouts, police time, cases brought to trial and other means by which society deals with burglary should demonstrate a proportionate response to demographics peculiarly affected in order to be effective.

At least you are consistent. We have to agree to disagree, I don't think compensating past evils makes any sense. And I don't think it is attempted except when benefiting certain groups.
And I believe that in the case of compensating racism it does not work. And we can't even be sure what racism is the cause of. Every poor black person is not poor because of racism.

Dave Allen;60667 wrote:
School reforms are a part of the process.

What I meant was that if you want to give children from underprivileged backgrounds a heads up, why does that have to depend on race. Wouldn't it pretty easy to rate schools and grant an appropriate edge in college and job applications?

Dave Allen;60667 wrote:
"Or some other reason"?

Brilliant.

I changed the position of that bracket last minute and didn't read it. This was the intended meaning of that sentence:
He had the media on his side for being black (or some other reason), which pretty much decided the election.

Dave Allen;60667 wrote:
A little, but all institutions adopt a certain degree of accepted behaviourable norms. A clearly prejudiced regime, the Taleban for example, simply own up to their prejudices and order their ambit accordingly - with clear injustice arising as a result. I don't want to be party to anything of this ilk, and I don't want to second guess institutions within my society who may or may not be discriminating behind closed doors or with minimal tokenism.

Nobody is discriminating, where do you get that from?

Dave Allen

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 08:18 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
At least you are consistent. We have to agree to disagree, I don't think compensating past evils makes any sense. And I don't think it is attempted except when benefiting certain groups.
And I believe that in the case of compensating racism it does not work. And we can't even be sure what racism is the cause of. Every poor black person is not poor because of racism.

Fair enough on agreeing to disagree. However, I think you would misrepresent the argument if you were to claim that AA advocates suggest that every black person currently directly suffers from racism. This is about admitting to a legacy of long-term impediments to equal opportunity which is being assuaged by a system of checks and balances.

Quote:
What I meant was that if you want to give children from underprivileged backgrounds a heads up, why does that have to depend on race. Wouldn't it pretty easy to rate schools and grant an appropriate edge in college and job applications?

If the legacy of denying certain races civil rights were not felt to be part of the issue then this would be much of a muchness, but it is.

Quote:
Nobody is discriminating, where do you get that from?

How do you know this? Are you denying the existence of bigotry? Is it beyond belief that there may be bigoted employers who might not hire people from demographics against which they are prejudiced?

EmperorNero

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 08:36 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;60679 wrote:
Fair enough on agreeing to disagree. However, I think you would misrepresent the argument if you were to claim that AA advocates suggest that every black person currently directly suffers from racism. This is about admitting to a legacy of long-term impediments to equal opportunity which is being assuaged by a system of checks and balances.

Fair enough, but let me ask you this. I explained the "legacy of the legacy of racism" earlier. How do we know what is the consequence of racism and what is the consequence of our reaction to it?

Let's - very simplified - say that blacks were once slaves, hence they were disproportionately poorer and thus still have less opportunity. So that's why they are still poor today. - The so-called legacy of racism.
Now, if we just let past evils be past, blacks have an somewhat worse starting position, but ultimately there is no reason why blacks shouldn't become as successful as whites. As there is enough social mobility in the US for personal responsibility to bear fruit.
There may be actual racists, but we can only work to reduce this racism.
Now, we constantly remind blacks that there is a reason for their potential lack of success. If they fail, it is not their fault, like it is for a white person, it is because of racism. Now people want to do good, they wants to give blacks some benefit to quicker get ahead, like affirmative action (and we're even leaving out that it discriminates against others). But to get it politically they have to justify this with the legacy of racism, so they can't do it without offering blacks an excuse from personal responsibility. The whole premise of it is that racism is still the cause of the disproportionate poverty. That's what I call 'the legacy of the legacy of racism'. Racism may have been the original starter of the problem, but it's effects would have worn out by today if not for the do-good'ers who perpetuate it's effects.
Racism does not really have to exist for it's effects to be detrimental, it's enough that people believe it does. And it doesn't really matter if there still is real racism. All that matters is that there is an excuse from personal responsibility.

Quote:
If the legacy of denying certain races civil rights were not felt to be part of the issue then this would be much of a muchness, but it is.

Isn't that just an appeal to majority opinion or authority or something? They are just wrong.
It is driven by special interest, others go along because it sounds nice.

Quote:
How do you know this? Are you denying the existence of bigotry? Is it beyond belief that there may be bigoted employers who might not hire people from demographics against which they are prejudiced?

Of course I'm not denying bigotry. But whenever I make a case that it is not as bad as some make it seem and we should not react on false premises, I get "you deny bigotry" thrown at me. I just wish we could be colorblind.

What about this scenario: In some states, California, employers can't get rid of certain employees, such as gays and blacks, because they would sue and win. (Companies mostly agree to pay a settlement, to avoid the legal cost.) No matter the reason they are fired. So of course an employer does rather want to employ someone who he will have less legal trouble of getting rid of when he sucks at his job. Is that the fault of racism or the fault of our overreaction to it?

Dave Allen

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 09:09 am
@EmperorNero,
To be frank, I'd rather we just agreed to disagree. Pretty much everything you've written is a paraphrase of something you expressed before and any response I could give would similarly be a recycling of points raised earlier. I don't like leaving a debate without responding to questions so I will respond to those you raise, but this discussion isn't really going anywhere.

Quote:
How do we know what is the consequence of racism and what is the consequence of our reaction to it?

I have no idea, but to till the very worn furrow of supporting that which discriminates in favour of inclusivity, assimilation and integration seems to me to be worthy if the alternative is to allow discrimination in favour of exclusivity.

Quote:
Isn't that just an appeal to majority opinion or authority or something?

Something. It's an acknowledgement of the desire of the gestalt. A shot at a form of democracy, in other words.

Quote:
Is that the fault of racism or the fault of our overreaction to it?

Clearly I don't think it's an overreaction. Do I think it's a problem of racism or the reaction? Both, as I said several posts ago.

EmperorNero

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 09:22 am
@EmperorNero,
Alrighty... agree to disagree. This seems to be a topic that doesn't change opinions.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:28:34