The ego and the heart

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The ego and the heart

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 09:31 pm
When somebody refers to an action as egoistic, and another action as "coming from the heart", are the two types of actions (ego, heart) mutually exclusive? I don't think they are.

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 09:55 pm
@Holiday20310401,
No they are not mutually exclusive. Some people could be acting based on what is "coming from the heart" due to egoistic reasons. The ego is just an abstract concept that we pretty much designate for an entity that is inpired by selfish actions, thoughts, and motivations.

Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 10:26 pm
@Theaetetus,
So IYHO, when something comes from the heart, does it automatically make that selfishly inspired action righteous; or is something simultaneously labelled righteous and coming from the heart?

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 12:25 am
@Holiday20310401,
Come on, everyone knows that the Ego resides in the Liver.

I think the contextual biases we have towards (ego) and (heart) make them seem mutually exclusive. Words tend to have a central meaning that shifts as their usage and the culture of the people who use them do. Use Ego out of context and the cultural meaning context automatically inserts itself. When someone says ego, the common context has to do with pride and pure self interest. Non-contextualized ego is always suspect. The same process, opposite sense goes for the phrase (comes from the heart). This when said without context is a maxim that is internalized into the cultural lexical ethos to the point of cliche. And without context it will automatically be seen as the exact opposite as ego. As stated above, if abstracted or couched in the proper context they are not necessarily mutually exclusive, but if overheard in a conversation or if they are just thrown out there, they are mutally exclusive by means of the common lexico-cultural understanding of the terms.

rhinogrey

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 01:54 am
@Holiday20310401,
Singularity <--------> Universality
Ego (autonomy)<---> heart (relation)

Eudaimon

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 10:19 am
@Holiday20310401,
Hi, Holiday! I think that there is no fundamental difference between what they call ego and heart. One may act stupid, out of ignorance when it seems to him that he should try to live according to different patterns that were instilled in him. This ignorance is egoism. But when one knows what is real good for him, he starts to live skillfully. And this knowledge has much to do with virtue, "life coming from hart". I think there's difference only on the level of knowledge.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The ego and the heart
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:02:18