Worldview and Happiness

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Worldview and Happiness

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 09:49 am
I previously posted this in my Intro but realise upon perusing the extensive rules of the forum that it might not belong there so am posting it here instead. Smile

I recently realised I have questions that fall into the realm of philosophy. I always asked difficult questions (too many, people say) from a very early age, but just recently I realised that some of the assumptions I'd had to make to form my previous worldview were in error, or possibly limiting the way I was thinking. So I decided to go back to square one and re-asses everything. After all, I figure as we go through life and gain experiences we probably learn things which could help us form a better worldview, so it's probably a good idea to have a spring cleaning of the old grey matter once in a while.

I've been doing that for the past few weeks - trying to re-asses everything, and eventually I got stuck at the question: what is real? I was confused, because (under my previous worldview) I rarely encountered questions I couldn't answer (at least to my own satisfaction). That in itself should show that I was a little naive and probably needed to re-asses things.

When I eventually went online and discovered that even the greatest minds of history had trouble with this question, I was a little relieved that it wasn't just me. Laughing

Eventually I came to the conclusion that reality is something we define by our senses (which of course can be wrong), and that the only senses available to us are:

External Perceptions: the usual senses like sight, touch hearing, balance, whatever.

Internal Perceptions: our own thoughts and emotions and moods as fed back into the reasoning process. Of course, since there is this feedback in the human equation, many things can be circular in nature, where it's not always cause-effect - but rather cause-effect-cause-etc ad infinitum.

But since all of these senses can be in error, it would seem we cannot be certain (not in the mathematical sense) of reality. It is a belief like any other, which we probably have to subscribe to before we can build systems on that. But then I come to the logical fallacy: there are absolutely no absolutes. Which of course, seems paradoxical. I'm sure these are all beginners mistakes which Is why I need some help.

But yes, I am building a new worldview, and want it to be the best it can be (since I figure that would help me in life, although of course I may be wrong), and that's why I am here. At the moment I've got some things built up in my little worldview, but I've never had any official training in philosophy, so I am here to see if the field of philosophy has any ideas that I can use. I don't mean that to sound as conceited as it does, it's just why I believe I came here.

Meh, sorry it's such a long intro, I grant that I talk and think too much, and sometimes not in a fashion that others appreciate. Sometimes I think so much my head hurts and the only way to sleep is with a sedative. I'll try to stop now, but leave you with one question that I came across in my trying to reason out a new worldview which I wouldn't mind some feedback on (if that's allowed in this section? If not, just let me know, thanks.)

I realise that any of the questions I ask will most likely seem to be "newb questions" so sorry if anyone finds that annoying:

Do people want to be happy?

ddancom

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 10:08 am
@Stickman,
Quote:

Yes, in general, people want to be happy. Consequently, the embrace instant gratification; This, in turn, often leads to unhappiness.

Stickman

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 10:20 am
@Stickman,
Indeed, and I'd say that generally, the way people seem to achieve happiness, is either through fulfilment of wants and needs (goal oriented), or through tricking that system: by kidding yourself that you have what you want or need so that you are happy. I seem to be good at the latter.

But you said generally, and although I agree: if being happy is a want, would that not imply it's impossible to want to be unhappy, since if you fulfill that want, and fulfillment of wants leads to happiness, it would be a paradox... and every train of thought I follow lately seems to lead to a paradox somewhere or other LOL. It's driving me nuts. Very Happy

My previous worldview was a rigorous adherence to scientific beliefs, sort of making science my religion. But by doing so I sort of closed my mind off to possibilities like God etc - whilst my new worldview doesn't discount such things (is more agnostic than atheist) it is a confusing way to think. Smile

Justin

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 11:13 pm
@Stickman,
Stickman wrote:
When I eventually went online and discovered that even the greatest minds of history had trouble with this question, I was a little relieved that it wasn't just me.

Nope. There's a few of us. I think everyone at some point encounters this. Welcome to the forum, BTW.

Stickman wrote:
Eventually I came to the conclusion that reality is something we define by our senses (which of course can be wrong), and that the only senses available to us are:

External Perceptions: the usual senses like sight, touch hearing, balance, whatever.

Internal Perceptions: our own thoughts and emotions and moods as fed back into the reasoning process. Of course, since there is this feedback in the human equation, many things can be circular in nature, where it's not always cause-effect - but rather cause-effect-cause-etc ad infinitum.

Aaah, you're on to something here. Our perception could be considered our command center or our center of reality. It basically controls our human existence.

Stickman wrote:
But since all of these senses can be in error, it would seem we cannot be certain (not in the mathematical sense) of reality. It is a belief like any other, which we probably have to subscribe to before we can build systems on that. But then I come to the logical fallacy: there are absolutely no absolutes. Which of course, seems paradoxical. I'm sure these are all beginners mistakes which Is why I need some help.

Absolutely! Smile LOL. It's believed in the world today that our perception is controlled by our surroundings and environment and basically everything around us. Many if not all of our perceptions have erred depending on what's happened around us and our influences and all the various sciences and philosophies that are in between those stages of life and growth.

We are beginning to see and understanding the power of perception and what it holds over all of us. Our error based on our perception is that we perceive to have little or no control over it, (not everyone). How can we change our perception? Do we move or change jobs? Do we change our past? Is there something outside that I or we can do to change how we perceive things?

So all we perceive is out there. Out of our control but it's there. Or is it? I posted this earlier in my blog. Just some random thoughts on it.

Stickman wrote:
But yes, I am building a new worldview, and want it to be the best it can be (since I figure that would help me in life, although of course I may be wrong), and that's why I am here. At the moment I've got some things built up in my little worldview, but I've never had any official training in philosophy, so I am here to see if the field of philosophy has any ideas that I can use. I don't mean that to sound as conceited as it does, it's just why I believe I came here.

Welcome home then. Glad to have you and you are amongst friends.

Stickman wrote:
I realise that any of the questions I ask will most likely seem to be "newb questions" so sorry if anyone finds that annoying:

I think everyone wants to be happy but some don't know how to be happy or the necessary steps it takes to be happy or even what happiness is to begin with. Not to mention, fear.

While there may be some that want to be happy the fear actually being it. There are fears for everything, fear of heights, fear of spiders, fear of success, fear of this and fear of that... including the fear of happiness. Our perceptions lead to our fears and our fears offer to our perceptions and our perceptions become our limitations.

So do they want to be happy?... Yes, absolutely. They also want to be rich too? Are they happy or rich?... besides what is it?

Happiness, based upon unique experiences and essentially our perception, will be different to each one of us. So happiness for one is not happiness for another. So is this the end of the rabbit hole? Is this the answer? Do we venture further? Are we missing something? Our perception is defining this very moment... If we filled the empty hole with happiness, would it be the right happiness? Who's happiness are we to believe in?

Great thread. Welcome to the forum!

Stickman

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 01:19 am
@Justin,
Thanks, I appreciate the welcome Smile

And I would agree that it seems people do want to be happy (but some don't know how). Smile

And furthermore, I would say THAT is what leads to our definition of good and evil: if an act generally causes more happiness than good, we say it's good, and vice versa.

Of course, from a scientific point of view, I realise that this thing we call "good" is seemingly impossible to quantify: there is NO unit of goodness. And since any act, no matter how evil, could have unforseen good consequences (and vice versa) it's impossible for anyone to truly measure without knowing everything that was, is, and will be. For instance, it would seem to me that even a killing (horrific as that is) may have some good in it, if you inadvertently murdered the next "Hitler" (not that I know much for sure about Hitler, just using him as a generally believed example of what is supposed to be "wrong"). I suppose some acts (like killing) still "generally" can be said to have more evil in them than good, usually, but as I say, only an all-knowing and all-powerful being can know (and I'm not sure such a being could even exist) - I'm pretty sure us humans could not know the whole truth of any act tho.

So by that token, you get to the point when you are stuck with a worldview which is ALL "best guesses:"
* There is no TRUE reality (it's linked with perceptions and faulty perceptions)
* There is no true "good" and true "evil" etc. . .

It all gets very complicated very quickly, and full of assumptions, which from a scientific viewpoint is not a very stable foundation for the experiment of life LOL. Ah well, I guess I just have to accept that it's the best I can do for now, and refine it through life, but I will not say that I (or anyone) should have the goal of perfecting this "knowledge", unless they are the sort who can be happy never reaching their goal. Smile

Justin

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 11:08 am
@Stickman,
No problem stickman.

I see your point. So if we cannot know these things shouldn't we look towards the examples that are in our everyday lives to show us? Nature being the most important of all. It just gives and re-gives and is in the most absolute perfect balance. It's humankind that brings forth imbalance in nature.

We could say that when things are balanced, there is happiness. We may have killed the next Hitler but we also enabled much greater. We can't keep hating and killing and expect happiness from it. That happiness that we all define in our own perception. When your check book is balanced it's happy and so are we. When the tires on our cars are balanced, our car is happy and our driving is experience is also. With balance comes happiness and scientifically, balance is a very important thing in all aspects of life.

If there is no balance, as expressed in the very in-breath and out-breath of nature and ourselves, how then shall we know happiness? From the stars in the sky to the cells within our body we can scientifically know that balance brings forth happiness. Is it the happiness we all seek?... Not necessarily because if we are out of balance in any way shape or form then according to science we could not experience true happiness or divine happiness. Humans that live out of balance tend to build up toxins and their physical balance is expressed outward in their lives. Now we are back at perception. Our perception being based on what we reflect. One paradox after another.

It's like light. People think it travels but it doesn't, it just reflects itself giving us the perception that it travels. Man travels but really he doesn't, he just reflects himself giving him or her the perception that they travel. The light of man is still. Of course, this is limited by my own perception.

Stickman wrote:
So by that token, you get to the point when you are stuck with a worldview which is ALL "best guesses:"
* There is no TRUE reality (it's linked with perceptions and faulty perceptions)
* There is no true "good" and true "evil" etc. . .

No need to guess either. There is a true reality and it is based our perceptions and it's our perception that creates the reflection thus being our reality.

There is also true good and evil. Balance could be good and imbalance could be evil. Technically speaking there would be no evil or knowing of it if it weren't for mankind. Evil is not a presence in the world like a ghost or satan, Evil is mans separation from balance or source or God or his own thoughts. Evil is an action of humankind based on their perception of what reality is. That perception is usually something that is controlled by circumstances they cannot control because they believe that. Another paradox of the sort.

I think balance is more important in science, nature and human relations and that balance can bring true happiness....

....and life goes on.

manored

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 12:01 pm
@Stickman,
Stickman wrote:
First, let me comment that the world needs more people like you Smile

I belive yes, people want to be happy, they just usually commit the fatal mistake of not defining clearly what happiness, and, especially, their happiness, is.

Stickman wrote:
Indeed, and I'd say that generally, the way people seem to achieve happiness, is either through fulfilment of wants and needs (goal oriented), or through tricking that system: by kidding yourself that you have what you want or need so that you are happy. I seem to be good at the latter.

But you said generally, and although I agree: if being happy is a want, would that not imply it's impossible to want to be unhappy, since if you fulfill that want, and fulfillment of wants leads to happiness, it would be a paradox... and every train of thought I follow lately seems to lead to a paradox somewhere or other LOL. It's driving me nuts. Very Happy
I think the most important aspect of achieving happiness is emotional control: If you can control your emotions, you can literally hardwire yourself to be happy all the time, and then even if your reasons for happiness in the world fall you will still be happy. Thats something im trying to develop Smile

I think happiness is not a want, its something we are hardwired to seek, and we cannot want to be unhappy. But someone may have a view of happiness that leads it to seem unhappy before the eyes of others. We know that lots of people nowadays are unhappy, but how to know if that is not actually their happiness?

Anyone else finds it funny that ever time the matter of good and evil is mentioned, Hitler is mentioned? Smile

I think balance and inbalance are too vague and imprecise to be held as estimators of what will bring about happiness or unhappiness. For example: Exploding things is funny, and it seens to be something inbalancing (generates chaos) but at the same time one could say its balance, spreading things more evenly upon the field. If I put more height in one side of a scale and then look at it from the side we are supposed to, it will be unbalanced, but in we look from the other side we can divide it in different sides who will, then, be equal and therefore balanced.

like this: XX0X

If you divide that horizontally, it will be balanced.

rhinogrey

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 04:41 pm
@Stickman,
Stickman wrote:

People want to be powerful. The just find power in knowledge; the unjust in violence.

Stickman

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 05:11 pm
@manored,
Justin wrote:
We could say that when things are balanced, there is happiness. We may have killed the next Hitler but we also enabled much greater. We can't keep hating and killing and expect happiness from it. That happiness that we all define in our own perception. When your check book is balanced it's happy and so are we. When the tires on our cars are balanced, our car is happy and our driving is experience is also. With balance comes happiness and scientifically, balance is a very important thing in all aspects of life.
I agree. Smile And not only does balance seem necessary for happiness, as too much of anything (or too little) would seem to be undesirable, but I believe balance is IN everything to some extent.

Justin wrote:
There is also true good and evil. Balance could be good and imbalance could be evil.
Possibly. I like the idea, maybe I'll have a think about it some time, when I get a chance (off to bed soon) Smile

Justin wrote:
Technically speaking there would be no evil or knowing of it if it weren't for mankind. Evil is not a presence in the world like a ghost or satan, Evil is mans separation from balance or source or God or his own thoughts. Evil is an action of humankind based on their perception of what reality is.
Ah, now that's interesting: how we seemingly create evil merely by the fact that we hold ourselves to a higher standard than the other animals. Or how we claim evil as mankind's own territory, because we base our actions more on thought than instinct, and the animals more on instinct than thought. But it reminds me of something I've always found humorous: how many objects are considered "man made" and therefore "not natural." Take any tool for instance, like a screwdriver, or an eating utensil, say a fork. Everyone will tell you this thing is man made, which it is, but where did the man get the ore to make the metal of the fork? He dug it up from the ground (it's from a "natural" source) and shaped it, with his (or her) own fair hand, and that hand is natural too. . . so is the fork not also "natural?" Or does the mere act of putting thought into something make it unnatural? If so, what of the animals that use tools, or build their own nests: cracking a shell open with a stone, etc. I may be wrong, but it would seem to me that nothing we know of, even the man-made tools, are truly unnatural, and neither are we. But we often seem to like to conclude that we are unnatural by the very choosing of the exclusive categories "man-made" or "natural" that we like to label things with. Very strange animals we seem to be. Smile We often seem to see ourselves as "interfering with nature" and yet we seemingly are part of nature, and if part of nature, is it possible that we are part of it's balance, even tho we sometimes disturb that balance? Smile

manored wrote:
I think the most important aspect of achieving happiness is emotional control: If you can control your emotions, you can literally hardwire yourself to be happy all the time, and then even if your reasons for happiness in the world fall you will still be happy. Thats something im trying to develop Smile
I tried this quite successfully for quite some time back under my old "science is the truth" worldview: controlling emotions does have it's benefits, but also it's downsides. It's quite an strain to suppress some emotions and can lead to some problems with more emotional people, but yes, it's one way of living, and one I did find interesting and useful for a long time. Smile

Phosphorous

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 12:51 pm
@Stickman,
The dumbest thing I've ever heard come out of the mouth of a philosopher is the statement that our senses can be in error. I find it hard to believe that anyone could accept that proposition at all.

Everything we sense tells us the truth about our reality. For example, take the time-worn example of sticking a pencil in a glass of water: The stick appears bent, but it's really not. Does that mean that our sense were fooled? Not in the slightest. Because that perception of the stick being bent is a real result of a real reality: the refraction of light in water. If the stick appeared straight while under the water, then maybe our senses would be fooled, because they wouldn't pick up the refraction of light that we now know exists.

You guys might argue that if we saw the stick appear straight, then the reality would be that there is no refraction of light. But if that was the case, then the sense still wouldn't have been fooled.

and that's my point. It's not that are senses are decieved by some malevolent little gremlin that makes us see things without any cause; Rather, everything we see has a sensable reason for that perception, which we are able to figure out and exploit. If our senses were fooled, there would never be a framework of theoretical physics that allows us to exploit what we see. Science could not exist if our senses were ever decieved, or if it even was possible.

I know this flies in the face of a lot of traditional philosophy. Fine. Treat it with an open mind though. (and by open mind, I mean, try to find a flaw in it. NOT accept it unquestioningly. I know you won't do that. But don't make the mistake of thinking I want you to do that. Wink)

Stickman

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 01:13 pm
@Phosphorous,
Phosphorous wrote:
The dumbest thing I've ever heard come out of the mouth of a philosopher is the statement that our senses can be in error. I find it hard to believe that anyone could accept that proposition at all.

To be honest I'm more of a scientist than a philosopher (20 odd years of thinking in terms of pure physics, and only a few weeks since I opened my mind to the things outside the realms of science), but I think I see where you're coming from. But even when our senses aren't in error, sometimes our interpretation of them is, perhaps either because we don't yet understand the physics behind what we see, or because we simply choose not to believe what we see for our own reasons. There is some truth in this, but you must admit the examples of misinterpretation you give are not the only kind of "error"? Smile

Think of it in terms of the "margin of error" present in any sensor, not only human senses, any electronic sensor for instance, has an accepted degree of inaccuracy that the manufacturer will usually state on the packaging: a scale may say: accurate to 1g, +/- 0.5g.

There is always a margin of error, no matter how well manufactured the item, or how well evolved the genetic code. our senses are never 100% accurate, even when they're not being misinterpreted: and that's what I said: that what we believe is REAL cannot be certain in the mathematical sense (the sense of "probability=1"). In that sense, even the most demanding scientist will admit that our senses CAN be in error.

Granted, barring a ton of things (like mental illness, chemicals in our system, and so on ad infinitum) our senses generally seem to tell the truth, but to say our senses CANNOT (ever) be in error would seem a little over confident (no offence): even when you discount the times when we misinterpret our senses, there clearly ARE times when we misread things, and since we sometimes can't distinguish between these, it's all the same: our senses CAN be in error, and EVEN when they are not, we can receive the wrong data through misinterpretation: if you want a technical equivalent for the latter, call it signal loss between the sensory organ and the brain (present in any analogue system of data transmission, even the human nervous system) let alone the fact that the way the brain interprets sensory data is malleable depending on our worldview.

I know scientists don't like error, but they must accept that there IS error in almost every sensor: as someone who used to be a scientist, I know that's why we used to take multiple readings of everything - to attempt to minimise the error, but any scientist will tell you even the most rigorous testing cannot be CERTAIN of a zero margin of error. Smile

rhinogrey

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 01:46 pm
@Phosphorous,
Phosphorous wrote:

Everything we sense tells us the truth about our reality. For example, take the time-worn example of sticking a pencil in a glass of water: The stick appears bent, but it's really not. Does that mean that our sense were fooled? Not in the slightest. Because that perception of the stick being bent is a real result of a real reality: the refraction of light in water. If the stick appeared straight while under the water, then maybe our senses would be fooled, because they wouldn't pick up the refraction of light that we now know exists.

You guys might argue that if we saw the stick appear straight, then the reality would be that there is no refraction of light. But if that was the case, then the sense still wouldn't have been fooled.

and that's my point. It's not that are senses are decieved by some malevolent little gremlin that makes us see things without any cause; Rather, everything we see has a sensable reason for that perception, which we are able to figure out and exploit. If our senses were fooled, there would never be a framework of theoretical physics that allows us to exploit what we see. Science could not exist if our senses were ever decieved, or if it even was possible.

I know this flies in the face of a lot of traditional philosophy. Fine. Treat it with an open mind though. (and by open mind, I mean, try to find a flaw in it. NOT accept it unquestioningly. I know you won't do that. But don't make the mistake of thinking I want you to do that. Wink)

A month ago I don't think I would have agreed with you, but after some of the literature I've been reading lately that has been rearranging some of my metaphysical philosophies, I would say that I agree with your conclusion. I remember Nietzsche said something about this issue that is very much in line with what you're saying. He said our senses are never decieved, only what we make of our sensual input can be a deception. Would you agree with that?

Schopenhauer also had something to say about the pencil in water example, can't remember what conclusion he drew about it, though. If I had my copy with me I'd look it up.

manored

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 07:59 pm
@Stickman,
Stickman wrote:
I tried this quite successfully for quite some time back under my old "science is the truth" worldview: controlling emotions does have it's benefits, but also it's downsides. It's quite an strain to suppress some emotions and can lead to some problems with more emotional people, but yes, it's one way of living, and one I did find interesting and useful for a long time. Smile
Hum, I dont quite understand... you mean you stoped? As I see it it is a skill that everone is constantly praticing, like calculating. Do you mean you started doing what you fell lik more rather than just what sounds rational?

Phosphorous wrote:
The thing is, if our senses are being decieved by some malevolent little gremlin, they are also being made to see the sensable reasons for our perceptions. Aka: We can never be certain of that reality isnt going to explode and become something tottaly different in the next second, we can only believe the chances of that happening are extremelly low because it didnt did anywhere during our life.

Off course some people take this as far as believing they can just ignore what we sense: We cant, what we sense is too stable for us to just not trust it.

rhinogrey

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 10:06 pm
@manored,
manored wrote:
The thing is, if our senses are being decieved by some malevolent little gremlin, they are also being made to see the sensable reasons for our perceptions. Aka: We can never be certain of that reality isnt going to explode and become something tottaly different in the next second, we can only believe the chances of that happening are extremelly low because it didnt did anywhere during our life.

'Conceivability' arguments....:whistling:

"Let us not pretend to doubt in our philosophy what we do not doubt in our hearts."

-CS Lewis

Justin

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2009 03:53 am
@rhinogrey,
Phosphorous wrote:

Not at all because they can be in error. However, saying that a proposition or notion like this is dumb, is not only insulting the idea or thought of another person but also exposes lack of experience or understanding of it, maybe age.

Phosphorous wrote:

This thread isn't about senses or sticks but, was the stick bent?

Stickman makes a good point about the margin of error.

Phosphorous wrote:

This has nothing to do with the thread topic. If you really want to discuss this, then please open a thread because it would make a good one.

Your perception on the thread topic was in error. Let's keep this on the topic of happiness.

Stickman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2009 08:19 am
@Justin,
Phosphorous wrote:
Absolutely, and it's unlikely that I will be accepting "traditional philosophy" unquestioningly, because I have never had any "traditional philosophy lessons" - I've never studied philosophy under anyone, I'm just relating my understanding from life experience. I have had training in scientific method and mathematical logic however, so I can apply this similar system to philosophical questions. Smile Like anyone's philosophy, I know mine may be wrong, but I figured if I asked enough people and listened to reasoned arguments I should be closer to the ever elusive "truth." Smile Nice Av btw Phosphorous. Smile If you did want to further discuss your proposition that human senses cannot be in error, by all means please start a new thread and I would be happy to do as you suggest and attempt to point out a few "possible faults" in that proposition - whilst similarly seeing if you could convince me of your side of it - that seeing IS believing. Smile (provided that wouldn't seem adversarial - I don't wish to upset anyone, just have reasoned debates and hopefully that way come closer to the truth.) Smile

Stickman wrote:
I tried this quite successfully for quite some time back under my old "science is the truth" worldview: controlling emotions does have it's benefits, but also it's downsides. It's quite a strain to suppress some emotions and can lead to some problems with more emotional people, but yes, it's one way of living, and one I did find interesting and useful for a long time. Smile

manored wrote:
Hum, I dont quite understand... you mean you stoped? As I see it it is a skill that everone is constantly praticing, like calculating. Do you mean you started doing what you fell lik more rather than just what sounds rational?
Not quite, Smile like most things it's a balance, there's a whole spectrum between almost totally controlling emotions (for simplification, and to save me typing it out every time, we'll call this end of the spectrum "being Vulcan" like a Vulcan from Star Trek - you don't have to know the show to understand the analogy since I've explained what it means, but if you do it should help to understand what I mean) to the opposite end of the spectrum: allowing yourself to be very emotional. The way I used to be was much more towards the logical and controlled end of the spectrum than the average person (more like a Vulcan) but to be that way you obviously lose out on some things: humour for instance. And so now I am more like everyone else: I let some things slide more. . . I'm more forgiving, and less exacting, in many ways - but obviously I still like to strive to be controlled and responsible in some things. Smile There's pro's and cons at either end of the spectrum.

So to clarify: Under my old worldview, I used to be more like a Vulcan - more controlled, so less happiness, but also less sadness (for myself). But now that I am letting myself experience emotions more freely, I have more happiness, but also more sadness of course. But I find that everyone else is happier if I am like them: relatively emotional (compared to my previous state). They understand me better, so I think overall this way is better: I'm happier and sadder (a balance) but other people are generally happier with me (so seemingly an overall win). It's hard for everyone else to get along with someone who is like a Vulcan - it often stresses them out, although they can find your ways humorous too, besides, I enjoy the happiness and think the sadness is a reasonable price to pay. Hope that makes it clearer? Smile

manored

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2009 06:28 pm
@Stickman,
rhinogrey wrote:
'Conceivability' arguments....:whistling:

"Let us not pretend to doubt in our philosophy what we do not doubt in our hearts."

-CS Lewis
My brain told my heart that this reality is pretty much surely a bunch of ilusions. My heart, who is brainless, heartly agreed.

So, you are basically saying that you dont believe we believe that? I am not scavenging for an offense or anything, it just sounds like that Smile

Stickman wrote:
Not quite, Smile like most things it's a balance, there's a whole spectrum between almost totally controlling emotions (for simplification, and to save me typing it out every time, we'll call this end of the spectrum "being Vulcan" like a Vulcan from Star Trek - you don't have to know the show to understand the analogy since I've explained what it means, but if you do it should help to understand what I mean) to the opposite end of the spectrum: allowing yourself to be very emotional. The way I used to be was much more towards the logical and controlled end of the spectrum than the average person (more like a Vulcan) but to be that way you obviously lose out on some things: humour for instance. And so now I am more like everyone else: I let some things slide more. . . I'm more forgiving, and less exacting, in many ways - but obviously I still like to strive to be controlled and responsible in some things. Smile There's pro's and cons at either end of the spectrum.
I find it strange you supressed all emotions though. I only supress the bad ones (bad ones = any emotions that dont make me fell well, such as hate and fear), or were you trying to only supress the bad ones too and ended up supressing it all? I also find it strange you used to miss humor, because as far as I know seeing things from the humorous view point rather than the tragic view point is the main way of happiness hard-wiring Smile

But, yeah, that made it clear.

rhinogrey

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2009 07:52 pm
@manored,
manored wrote:
My brain told my heart that this reality is pretty much surely a bunch of ilusions. My heart, who is brainless, heartly agreed.

:surrender:

:bigsmile:

Stickman

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2009 01:59 am
@manored,
manored wrote:
Hehe, I like the sound of that. Very fanciful. Smile

manored wrote:
I find it strange you supressed all emotions though. I only supress the bad ones (bad ones = any emotions that dont make me fell well, such as hate and fear), or were you trying to only supress the bad ones too and ended up supressing it all? I also find it strange you used to miss humor, because as far as I know seeing things from the humorous view point rather than the tragic view point is the main way of happiness hard-wiring Smile
Hehe, of course, at first I thought the system would be good because I thought it would protect me from the bad emotions, but I soon discovered that my own good emotions could just as much be the cause of unhappiness as the bad ones, i.e. that surprising as it sounds, there aren't really "good" and "bad" emotions. For example, falling in love (happiness) can lead to more heartbreak than happiness. And of course, the opposite is also true: feeling angry about something bad in the world can lead you to take helpful action to correct it. And the truth is, I was in a lot of pain back then emotionally, and so I did my utmost to suppress them all. And as I say, to some extent it did solve many of my problems, but of course (like anything) being almost emotionless among emotional people came with it's own set of problems. These problems it creates are mainly just problems for other people, not problems for myself, for when you are suppressing emotions too much you are not as affected by other people's emotions, but a sensible being can still see other people can be hurt by your apparent lack of emotion, and I never want to hurt anyone, so that's part of the reason I gave up on that "way of thinking." Smile

Of course, I now believe that " 'Tis Better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all" Smile Well, OK, maybe not love and loss, those are pretty powerful emotions and need some measure of care to handle, but most emotions I allow myself to experience now without as much conscious effort to control. And you're right, suppressing emotions is something we all practise all the time, to some extent, I just used to suppress them too much or too well, and now I don't try to do that. Smile

manored wrote:
But, yeah, that made it clear.
No problemo. Smile

The problem with a brain like mine tho, that is seemingly very analytical, is sometimes if you turn that inwards, you don't like what it discovers about yourself LOL - you realise you were wrong in some way or another (as I said at the start of this thread), and nobody likes the realisation that they were wrong, except perhaps some rare kind of masochist? Smile

Thanks to everyone who's stuck with this thread so far tho, it's really helped me to thrash out the ideas in my head and I'm pretty sure I'll benefit from it. Smile

Of course each answer brings up a plethora of further questions, but that's life eh? Smile I suppose in trying "to come up with the best worldview in order to be a better or happier person" that I might have set myself an open-ended goal that I'll never totally fulfill, but the journey should be fun. Very Happy

manored

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2009 04:35 pm
@Stickman,
Stickman wrote:
Hehe, I like the sound of that. Very fanciful. Smile
Sometimes some divine inspiration invades me then I am replying for threads Smile

Stickman wrote:
Hehe, of course, at first I thought the system would be good because I thought it would protect me from the bad emotions, but I soon discovered that my own good emotions could just as much be the cause of unhappiness as the bad ones, i.e. that surprising as it sounds, there aren't really "good" and "bad" emotions. For example, falling in love (happiness) can lead to more heartbreak than happiness. And of course, the opposite is also true: feeling angry about something bad in the world can lead you to take helpful action to correct it. And the truth is, I was in a lot of pain back then emotionally, and so I did my utmost to suppress them all. And as I say, to some extent it did solve many of my problems, but of course (like anything) being almost emotionless among emotional people came with it's own set of problems. These problems it creates are mainly just problems for other people, not problems for myself, for when you are suppressing emotions too much you are not as affected by other people's emotions, but a sensible being can still see other people can be hurt by your apparent lack of emotion, and I never want to hurt anyone, so that's part of the reason I gave up on that "way of thinking." Smile
Interesting. I suppose you are correct, sometimes I fell good then I let assassin anger flow by Smile I suppose whatever mix of emotions makes you happy is the right thing to let flow then.
Stickman wrote:

The problem with a brain like mine tho, that is seemingly very analytical, is sometimes if you turn that inwards, you don't like what it discovers about yourself LOL - you realise you were wrong in some way or another (as I said at the start of this thread), and nobody likes the realisation that they were wrong, except perhaps some rare kind of masochist? Smile

Of course each answer brings up a plethora of further questions, but that's life eh? Smile I suppose in trying "to come up with the best worldview in order to be a better or happier person" that I might have set myself an open-ended goal that I'll never totally fulfill, but the journey should be fun. Very Happy
Truce, nothing is as scary as the deeper areas of our soul Smile The good part it that once the deeper areas of your soul made you piss on your pants, the outside world doesnt seens as scary as it was before Smile

Indeed, we shouldnt seek happiness in the goal, but in the journey, so I too believe an impossible goal is the best. The reason we shouldnt seek happiness in the goal is, for anyone who is wondering, because then we will either never be happy, or just for a few moments Smile

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Worldview and Happiness
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 04:02:35