The nomic game

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The nomic game

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

manored

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 03:43 pm
Nomic is a kind of forum game that consists of making and modifying rules in order to win. I will try to start one, though its nature can make a poorly prepared one win very fast or be cripled, so pardon me Smile

#Immutable rules:
*Immutable rules can never be altered, removed or transformed in another type of rule.
*New rules are any rules made during the game, and cannot be made irremovable.
*Manored is the judge on this match
*The interpretation and aplication of the rules are responsability of the judge only, though he will, off course, consider if a mistake was commited then it is pointed out
*The judge is not a player. Ever other forum member is a player.
*Players may create new rules proposals or modifications in their posts. A rule can have any lenght and complexity, but only one rule can be proposed in a valid post, with rule removal or modification proposals counting on this. Aka: Your proposal in a post can only affect/create/remove one rule.
*If a proposal in a post is considered valid, all proposals by the same player made less than 24 hours later are automatically deemed invalid
*Once the proposal was considered valid by the jugde, it takes effect as if it had took effect the very moment it was posted: any subsequent posts not following whatever rule it changed/added/removed are deemed invalid.
(Its therefore important that player spot flawed rules and indicated then to the jugde as to not be windered by delayed judgement)

#New rules:
*First player to score 30 points wins.
*Ever post with a valid proposal gives a player 10 points.
*Players cannot create or modify rules to automatically invalidate all posts from one or more players.

I think these starting rules will make for a short lived and shiftly killed game, but anyway the fun of the game is exactly to kill the game with the discovery of a flaw, so have fun Smile

Also, Ever time a game ends I inteend to create a new one with updated, less flawed rules so it will get more and more interesting over time.

Phosphorous

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 03:52 pm
@manored,
Every time a player reaches the amount of points required to win, the amount of points required to win increases by 73 points.

manored

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 02:42 pm
@manored,
That rule is invalid: It conflicts with the winning rule. Were it added, it would result in a paradox, as the player wins by reaching 30 points but at the same time the amount of points needed to win increases... how to decide between victory and unvictory?

Phosphorous

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 06:07 pm
@manored,
That was my intention. It's absurd to create a game based on changing rules but then make some rules absolute. Either have absolute rules, a la chess, or have complete fluidity, a la Calvinball(which is actually really fun when played in a forum, by the way). But to mix both is incredibly stupid, in my opinion.

manored

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 10:38 am
@manored,
Why? I have played this before and winhout some fixed rules the game just dissolves, sometimes even with fixed rules.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The nomic game
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 11:53:47