how to remember

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » how to remember

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 10:02 am
What should i do to be able to remember 80 pages of geography for my exam tomorrow? It is impossibile for me to understand them all because there are lots of 'words, terms', they are very unnecessary for my life and plus it will be so hard to do that. But i have to pass this exam. So i need advices.
And than you can all start talking about 'importance of school' and decide whether this is philosophic or not. Whatt would happen if schools didn't exist? Especially high school??? Will it dissappear if i make myself believe that it doesn't exist actually? Illusions? And is it possibile for me to do something bad to my Latin and Geography teachers? To take a revenge.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 03:18 pm
@grasshopper,
grasshopper wrote:
What should i do to be able to remember 80 pages of geography for my exam tomorrow?

Begin studying a week ago.

grasshopper wrote:
It is impossibile for me to understand them all because there are lots of 'words, terms', they are very unnecessary for my life and plus it will be so hard to do that. But i have to pass this exam. So i need advices.

This is something we all think at some point in high school: 'I'll never use this stuff, need to know this stuff' and so we disregard the material. What a mistake. No knowledge is useless. You will be surprised later in life how useful these lessons really are. Take my advice: trust that the information will be useful and sponge it up.

grasshopper wrote:
And than you can all start talking about 'importance of school' and decide whether this is philosophic or not. Whatt would happen if schools didn't exist? Especially high school???

The Dark Ages would happen.

grasshopper wrote:
Will it dissappear if i make myself believe that it doesn't exist actually? Illusions?

No, my friend, high school is quite real. The buildings, the lockers, the desks and student body. All quite real. Make the most of it.

grasshopper wrote:
And is it possibile for me to do something bad to my Latin and Geography teachers? To take a revenge.

Possible? Yes.

Should you? Heck no! What have they done to you other than try to help you learn. They may not be perfect people or perfect teachers, but my guess is that they have done more to help you than they have to harm you.

Taking "revenge" on someone for having helped you is, well, silly.

Elmud

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 03:35 pm
@grasshopper,
grasshopper wrote:
What should i do to be able to remember 80 pages of geography for my exam tomorrow? It is impossibile for me to understand them all because there are lots of 'words, terms', they are very unnecessary for my life and plus it will be so hard to do that. But i have to pass this exam. So i need advices.
And than you can all start talking about 'importance of school' and decide whether this is philosophic or not. Whatt would happen if schools didn't exist? Especially high school??? Will it dissappear if i make myself believe that it doesn't exist actually? Illusions? And is it possibile for me to do something bad to my Latin and Geography teachers? To take a revenge.
Repetition is the mother of retention.

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 08:03 pm
@grasshopper,
grasshopper wrote:
What should i do to be able to remember 80 pages of geography for my exam tomorrow?

Sleep with your pillow on top of your book. Due to osmosis the information will seep into your head. Well, unless there is more information in the book than your head, then it would be due to diffusion.

dynamo

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 08:37 pm
@grasshopper,
I've seen books where if you record something and play it back while you sleep, you will retain it. I think it's bogus, but hey it worked for me once....

CarolA

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 11:20 pm
@grasshopper,
This goes with "the dog ate my homework" excuse list!
I guess you didn't get the 80 pages of textbook yesterday. At least one thing you will learn - start studying the stuff at least 6 weeks from the exam. Oh, and another lesson - how to cope with getting a 'failure" in an exam.
Recording and playing back the work is a good idea, but listen while you are awake. I have gone to sleep many times listening to audio books and have no recollection of what I have heard while asleep!

grasshopper

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 09:52 am
@CarolA,
Start studying at least 6 weeks from the exam?...Smile... I mean who does that?

Teachers are Not helping at all and they are weird 'people', not perfect. I think there must be some limitations on choosing somebody as a teacher. For example my Latino teacher should have sent send me to consiglio di disciplina when i said 'che cazzo dici tu?-what the f**k you'r talking about-, not when i was singing in the class.

If you are in a position where people(especially kids) are learning from you, you should be more carreful about yourself and about things you teach them.
I'm not saying names and definitons of karstic shapes etc wont help me at all in the future but when this type of an exam is affecting my university enterance DIRECTLY, there is a problem. There is definitely problems in Italian school systems. Must be changed!

VideCorSpoon

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 10:57 am
@grasshopper,
Offer
Acceptance
Capacity
Consideration
Legality

And transform the bundle of related notions into a single word that has no other meaning except what you attribute to it using bits of the real word to form a crazy imagined word:

OACCL.

When I think of contracts, I just say to myself Oaccl. But the important thing to remember is the fact that a person only remembers that which is interesting to them. So what I did was said to myself "what would make this odd word makes sense to me and make me remember it? For one thing, I love Greek philosophy and history. Oaccl sounds like "oracle," as in the Greek Oracle at Delphi.

On a side note, studying ahead of time never really works out right. The main thing to do is to allocate time before the test to study. Say I had a test with 6 chapters in it. I would allocate 7 days to it, spending a few hours each day on one chapter and doing a comprehensive cram session the day before on the seventh day. But most importantly it is the time allocation that helps out the most. Writing down a schedule of how much time you are going to devote to each section and how much time to a general review help you put everything into perspective before the test.

Another thing that I ended up doing towards the end of my time in university was studying like the exam was on the week before the test. I would in some cases write the wrong date on my schedule so that I would be forced to study a week in advance and be prepared to generally review the week before.

Caroline

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 12:04 pm
@grasshopper,
I got one for you, this is how I learned the order of the planets of our solar system in relation to the sun:- My Very Easy Method Just Set Up Nine Planets
Mercury Venus Earth......
That was out of a childrens book.

Arthane

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 11:15 pm
@grasshopper,
Correction. Drop the 'Planets' part.

Now we're all gonna have to figure out new sayings. My Very Elegant Method Just Showed Us Nothing.

Ok maybe not..

CarolA

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 02:54 am
@grasshopper,
grasshopper wrote:
Start studying at least 6 weeks from the exam?...Smile... I mean who does that?

If you are in a position where people(especially kids) are learning from you, you should be more carreful about yourself and about things you teach them.
I'm not saying names and definitons of karstic shapes etc wont help me at all in the future but when this type of an exam is affecting my university enterance DIRECTLY, there is a problem. There is definitely problems in Italian school systems. Must be changed!

I guess if the exam was so important you would start studying earlier:)
I am not a teacher - this is based on experience as a student. At one time I was working full time, running a household, studying music and doing computer programming studies. I'd never take on that workload again, but I got through it all, even getting distinctions in some subjects. Sorry, but no work, no pass. No easy way, no shortcuts.
As for what is useful - you can never tell. Lots of people said studying music was a waste of time, but it has kept me sane and given me a lot of friends over the years. Not to mention the small but constant extra income! Studying Classical Greek gave me a priceless insight into the structure of languages. One thing that was useless? Most of the computer studies - they are now out of date and I need constant refreshers.

Caroline

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 05:03 am
@Arthane,
Arthane wrote:
Correction. Drop the 'Planets' part.

Now we're all gonna have to figure out new sayings. My Very Elegant Method Just Showed Us Nothing.

Ok maybe not..

Planet stands for pluto why would i drop it?

Arthane

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 05:23 pm
@grasshopper,
Because 3 years ago some collection of space authority figures voted and decided to redefine 'planet'. Unfortunately Pluto did not fall under their new defenition, so it was dropped from the list! Poor little thing : (

Caroline

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 05:29 pm
@grasshopper,
Thankyou for letting me know.Smile i remember vaguely now

Jose phil

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 10:36 pm
@grasshopper,
How was your Geography exam, Grasshopper?

grasshopper

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 09:37 am
@grasshopper,
so-so.. i'll learn results tomorrow at school. i reached my high-limit of copying during the exam.

Icon

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 10:08 am
@grasshopper,
::For Future Reference::
Best way to remember anything:

1. Clear your mind of all thoughts
2. Find a very dark, very quiet, very small place. A closet works well if no one else is around.
3. Get a small flashlight or book light so that it only illuminates the book itself.
4. Read without really thinking about the material.

Why this works: You mind traps input and stores it in memory. If you limit the amount of external input you get from sounds, sights, smells and so forth and clear your head, you are left without misconception, worry or distraction and your memory is dedicated to absorbing the material.

grasshopper

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 10:12 am
@grasshopper,
when i'm trying to study for an exam i'm always eating something or listening to music and every 30 minutes i get up and walk around home. maybe that is why i have problems in learn things.

Jose phil

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 09:11 pm
@grasshopper,
There! You've just said so yourself. Stop doing all that and maybe you'll find yourself in a more conducive mood to study.

You can't listen to music and try to remember stuff concurrently. It's tough.
Good luck to getting your results.

agaton

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 06:15 pm
@grasshopper,
Mnemonics is more than that... It helps you to remember much more than small bits of information. I remember over 300 names and life spans of composers, painters and philosophers. Not much effort needed! I read one of Tony Buzan's books some year ago and decided to give it a try. It wasn't easy but it works.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » how to remember
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 06:29:18