Absurdism (how do we imagine Sisyphus happy?)

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Absurdism (how do we imagine Sisyphus happy?)

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

oftenly

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 10:41 am
I just started The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus as a result of one of his quotes I saw, "we must imagine Sisyphus happy." I'm reading it in hopes that he explains how we should go about doing that, but so far I've only managed to get confused by his writing.

Do we imagine Sisyphus happy merely as an exercise of will, or is there perhaps some more concrete philosophy behind it? I was wondering if anybody could help me with this, especially within the context of broader absurdist theory (which is attractive if not obscure).

One connection I can think of is with Alan Watts' idea of the human experience being akin to that of a flea on a hot griddle, in that we are interminably jumping off the griddle only to be brought back down again and again. The point, I think, is that we must not lament the mundane and repetitive nature of our lives, and instead find our own personal satisfaction within the struggle.

Oftentimes, though, that's not enough. I need to know if there's another way to tackle the problem of Sisyphus other than thinly imagining he's happy. I think what I'm looking for is "he is happy because [irrefutable philosophical rationale]." Can anyone help me with this?

Aedes

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 11:29 am
@oftenly,
I love this book, it's one of my favorite works of philosophy.

The issue with this quote of yours, and with Camus in general, is that absurdity is inescapable. As soon as you really think about life, you will not be able to avoid how absurd it is.

So lest we have a complete meltdown and kill ourselves (because there is nothing to live for), absurdity should be accepted and perhaps even embraced.

In other words, we get to create our own meaning, our own happiness, and even in the face of the absurdity we do not collapse -- we don't need to collapse -- because our meaning comes from within.

If you want a brief but amazing short story by Camus that illustrates this, pick up a copy of Exile and the Kingdom and read The Adulterous Woman. It's about a woman on some bleak bus trip with her husband, it's stifling, it's meaningless. And at night she can't take it any more and she runs outside and sort of "gives herself" to the stars in the sky -- and when she returns to the room with her husband she can't stop weeping. It's a gorgeously written story, and shows how in the face of absurdity there are moments of nihilism but also these lurid moments of sheer life.

Existentialism is a very psychologically-based philosophy. It's often better shown than explained.

Poseidon

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 01:14 pm
@oftenly,
Sisyphus would have to project himself into a connection with karma (cosmic justice). Because of his suffering, others will not make his error. He gains solace in the way that any loss is the shadow of a gain. If it were not for hunger, a meal would have no meaning.

Since he is now reconciled to justice, he must know that the universe is ordered and fair. He must then conclude that his punishment will not actually be forever, and that he will one day be released, or else the universe is unjust. As he is suffering for injustice, he knows that the universe is just, thus he must one day be released; even if he has been told otherwise.

Just as the boulder is pushed up the hill, it will roll down again. There is no up without down, no injustice without punishment, and no punishment without forgiveness and redemption.

For each instance of suffering he endures, there will be an instance of relief when it ends, just as each time he pushes the boulder up the hill, it rolls down again.

;-j

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 01:59 pm
@Poseidon,
The more I hear about Camus the more i wonder why i never bothered to read him. I think you guys have convinced me to look him up on my next trip to Borders.

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 03:01 pm
@oftenly,
Unhappy Sisyphi don't reproduce.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Absurdism (how do we imagine Sisyphus happy?)
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 11:44:33