Which is more dangerous?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Which is more dangerous?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 05:33 pm
read this

Mexico: The War Next Door - CBS News

Which is more dangerous, drugs, or the prohibitionist 'war on drugs'.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 06:54 pm
@Poseidon,
The War on Drugs is far more dangerous. It is the prohibition of narcotics that places the manufacture, distribution and sale of narcotics into the hands of criminals. Maybe politicians thought the "War on Drugs" was just a catchy phrase, but they were wrong. By declaring a War on Drugs, governments literally declared war on people involved in the drug business.

The US should have learned it's lesson during the prohibition of alcohol.

Caroline

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 07:09 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
The War on Drugs is far more dangerous. It is the prohibition of narcotics that places the manufacture, distribution and sale of narcotics into the hands of criminals. Maybe politicians thought the "War on Drugs" was just a catchy phrase, but they were wrong. By declaring a War on Drugs, governments literally declared war on people involved in the drug business.

The US should have learned it's lesson during the prohibition of alcohol.

I agree with that, if they controlled it and took it out of the hands of criminals that would reduce the crime, they dont do it because they fear the backlash.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 07:13 pm
@Caroline,
"They" don't change the laws because of the money. In Mexico, it's direct cash from the cartels: the corruption. Here in the US we do not change the laws for many reasons: 1) law enforcement is addicted to war on drug funding and many departments could not sustain themselves without the war on drug funding 2) pharmaceutical companies do not want these laws changed and so they lobby the government 3) paper companies are also concerned, especially about industrial hemp 4) most of the public has bought into government propaganda about drugs and are therefore unable to take an informed stance on the matter.

Caroline

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 07:48 pm
@Poseidon,
So what are talking about here,ethics? Because someone has to pay and it's always us, the victims of drug related crimes, lives lost through drug related deaths and the suffering of their families in the long term everyone pays surely? If you look at the enviromental war for example,the companies who dont wish to become green,(because it's not cost effective) so therefore continue to pollute are paid more,(to cover thier losses)-to become greener, can we not compensate some of these people at least numbers 1)2) and 3). There is always corruption whever you go, backhanders here there and everywhere, people are just greedy and have no morals!

Aedes

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 07:52 pm
@Poseidon,
They're both dangerous for different reasons. Drugs are dangerous to individuals, drugs are dangerous to society, drug cartels are effectively corrupt crime organizations, and the policy of combating has been misdirected, ineffective, and escalatory.

But don't give me this crap about how drugs should be legalized for the good of mankind. It's illegal to make children's toys out of lead and to make flammable pajamas and to sell used tires, all for the sake of public safety, and that hasn't caused a war. It's not the war on drugs that makes the drug suppliers dangerous. The fact is that their clientelle is addicted to a highly lucrative product, and they'll wield influence, power, and violence to maintain their wealth and influence.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 07:54 pm
@Aedes,
Right, they are dangerous for different reasons: but which is the greater threat to society, individual drug use or this, as you call it, escalatory war on drugs? Individual drug use can be effectively treated through medical care and education, but there is no remedy for this war on drugs except the end of the war.

Aedes

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 08:04 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;52284 wrote:
Individual drug use can be effectively treated through medical care and education
Don't overstate this... First of all, individual drug use destroys whole families and neighborhoods, not just the few individuals screwing up their bodies.

And you think medical care of the individual helps the public health problem of drug use? Hardly. A minority of people will effectively be helped, absolutely, but it comes at a huge price and is exceptionally low yield -- in part because helping someone with drugs isn't going to work if their life is a complete mess.

Education? You weren't born yet during Nancy Reagan's big public health push. Her "Just Say No" campaign in the 1980s. Those were my school years. We were inundated with the anti-drug education campaign. Yet that was one of the worst eras in the history of drug use, probably worse than now with the exception of the IV drug-induced HIV/HepC epidemics.

Education has never worked all that well with curbing teen smoking. Limiting access and increasing price HAVE worked.

Caroline

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 08:15 pm
@Aedes,
What are you going to do then with drug users if not medically treat them? If their life is a whole mess than surely it's looking at the whole package,(their life). What's your answer to the affects of drugs,(whole neighbourhoods destroyed)? Education: I was a teen in the "just say no years" too and it was an ignorant campaign which we should learn from and improve the education of drugs, just say no is not the answer, how do you teach people if not through education? (please be kind)!

Aedes

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 08:25 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;52286 wrote:
What are you going to do then with drug users if not medically treat them?
I do. I try. But medically treating them is not nearly as effective a societal measure as would be an intervention that prevents people from starting drugs to begin with.

Caroline wrote:
How do you teach people if not through education? (please be kind)!
Teaching them isn't going to work very well when they're much more susceptible to chemical addiction and peer pressure. Drug education works the best for well-grounded kids with strong family and social supports -- i.e. the kids who need it the least.

Caroline

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 08:38 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
I do. I try. But medically treating them is not nearly as effective a societal measure as would be an intervention that prevents people from starting drugs to begin with.

Teaching them isn't going to work very well when they're much more susceptible to chemical addiction and peer pressure. Drug education works the best for well-grounded kids with strong family and social supports -- i.e. the kids who need it the least.

I agree with that, people wont miss what they dont know??(but isnt it a little late for that now?), but the stuff grows naturally and some people with medical conditions benefit form certain types of drugs,eg,morphine, so it's all about control measures?(and strong ones at that!)?

Yeah I guess, I dont know what the education is like in schools these days but I know it's improving and hopefully it'll reach the more susceptible, however peer pressure is a strong influence, how do you get around that?

Aedes

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 08:43 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;52289 wrote:
peer pressure is a strong influence, how do you get around that?
Fast forward past adolescence, I guess.

The kids least susceptible to destructive peer pressure are the ones with strong support systems, especially in the home.

Beyond that, look at what's worked for curbing teen smoking... getting rid of vending machines, banning advertising, and raising the price of cigarettes through taxation. That has worked quite well -- it limits access. The tobacco companies NEED teens to start smoking, because that's the only way they can make up for the 3000 people a day who die from it.

Caroline;52289 wrote:
some people with medical conditions benefit form certain types of drugs, eg, morphine
But these drugs do not have very great addictive potential when they're used appropriately. I can tell you that it's a pain to use them for real medical pain in people who already have a narcotic addiction, but we do what we have to for people. If a heroin user has surgery, I'm going to give him morphine or hydromorphone or whatever for pain.

Caroline

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 08:54 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Fast forward past adolescence, I guess.

The kids least susceptible to destructive peer pressure are the ones with strong support systems, especially in the home.

Beyond that, look at what's worked for curbing teen smoking... getting rid of vending machines, banning advertising, and raising the price of cigarettes through taxation. That has worked quite well -- it limits access. The tobacco companies NEED teens to start smoking, because that's the only way they can make up for the 3000 people a day who die from it.

But these drugs do not have very great addictive potential when they're used appropriately. I can tell you that it's a pain to use them for real medical pain in people who already have a narcotic addiction, but we do what we have to for people. If a heroin user has surgery, I'm going to give him morphine or hydromorphone or whatever for pain.

Huh huh.

How would you apply what works for reducing smokers to reducing drugs users? Get rid of the illegal market?

So you would have to introduce tight control measures?

Why is it a pain, is it because their already addicted and have less effect or too much in their system will kill them?

I agree with that too-kids with good homes too, it's all about looking at the whole of or a lot of society isn't it, in the home education, social measures etc etc!

Aedes

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 09:14 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;52292 wrote:
How would you apply what works for reducing smokers to reducing drugs users? Get rid of the illegal market?
Well, let me say that I'm glad I'm not a policy maker. It seems to me that development support for countries where cocaine and opium are grown will disincentivize people from growing it, which will raise prices and limit access. Hopefully that will happen in Afghanistan.

Caroline wrote:
Why is it a pain, is it because their already addicted and have less effect or too much in their system will kill them?
It's a pain because they don't distinguish very well between their pain control needs and their addiction (even in people who are no longer addicted). This makes it very hard to do things like switch from IV to oral meds, to wean the dose down, and eventually to stop. They also have extraordinarily high opiate dose requirements because they're so tolerant to them.

Caroline

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 09:42 pm
@Aedes,
Thanks guys for the chat, but it's past my bedtime, it's 3.40am here in England. Goodnight!

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 10:16 pm
@Caroline,
Aedes wrote:
Don't overstate this... First of all, individual drug use destroys whole families and neighborhoods, not just the few individuals screwing up their bodies.

You know more about this than I do, and maybe my claim was an overstatement.

I'm aware of the toll of drugs: I've seen families ravaged, both rich and poor families, and I've been through enough drug infested neighborhoods to see first hand the results (particularly the ghetto in Memphis; I took a hike through there one Saturday night at about three in the morning... luckily someone picked me up before this scrawny white kid was attacked, but that's another story). I'm a college student: I see friends from good families ruin their lives over drugs. Happens every few months or so. Arrest, overdose, getting kicked out of school for possession or sale.

Aedes wrote:
And you think medical care of the individual helps the public health problem of drug use? Hardly. A minority of people will effectively be helped, absolutely, but it comes at a huge price and is exceptionally low yield -- in part because helping someone with drugs isn't going to work if their life is a complete mess.

I do think medical care can help a great deal. I'm not only talking about getting people off drugs entirely, but also about effective management of drug users. Holland style.

Aedes wrote:
Education? You weren't born yet during Nancy Reagan's big public health push. Her "Just Say No" campaign in the 1980s. Those were my school years. We were inundated with the anti-drug education campaign. Yet that was one of the worst eras in the history of drug use, probably worse than now with the exception of the IV drug-induced HIV/HepC epidemics.

I agree; I was not in school under Reagan, but his drug education style was carried on into my time in public school. But here is the point: that was not drug education. That was more government propaganda than anything else, a way to claim that the government was doing something effective about drug use without really accomplishing anything. I mean what we need is real education. Honest answers about what drugs do to the body, honest answers about drug use. No more "you can overdose from marijuana". Let's cut the crap and give children the real story.

Aedes wrote:
Education has never worked all that well with curbing teen smoking. Limiting access and increasing price HAVE worked.

As I recall, teen smoking is down quite a bit from a decade ago. I'm not sure what has been done to limit access as cigarettes were always easy to acquire when I was coming up, and price certainly was not an issue when cigarette packs can be bought as cheap as a dollar, dollar fifty.

Aedes

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 10:25 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;52300 wrote:
I do think medical care can help a great deal. I'm not only talking about getting people off drugs entirely, but also about effective management of drug users. Holland style.
I don't. Drug use is inextricably linked to people's social context and psychological / psychiatric context. Treating coincident mental illness goes a long way. But you can't change where someone lives, you can't change their life stressors, you can't change their surroundings and the people near them.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Honest answers about what drugs do to the body, honest answers about drug use. No more "you can overdose from marijuana". Let's cut the crap and give children the real story.
Drug education programs are more nuanced than that. But you know, I think keeping it simple is a lot more likely to resonate. And while marijuana is safe, there is ample evidence that people who end up doing hard drugs had tried tobacco / alcohol / marijuana first -- so preventing marijuana use MAY prevent experimentation with harder drugs. Of course that's impossible to study, so we don't have controlled outcomes research on that question.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
I'm not sure what has been done to limit access as cigarettes were always easy to acquire when I was coming up, and price certainly was not an issue when cigarette packs can be bought as cheap as a dollar, dollar fifty.
1) Cigarette vending machines now illegal
2) Mandated and enforced carding of minors in stores
3) Billboard advertising now illegal (or heavily curtailed)
4) TV advertising eliminated
5) Magazine advertising extremely limited
6) Heavy taxation -- cigarettes are now ~ $4 a pack with taxes, which means a lot more to a kid spending his allowance money
7) No more "Joe Camel" or other ads that appeal directly to kids

Caroline

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 10:34 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
You've both got good arguements and I think your are both right,if you took both of your points I think it would reduce the drug problem.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 04:49 pm
@Caroline,
Aedes wrote:
I don't. Drug use is inextricably linked to people's social context and psychological / psychiatric context. Treating coincident mental illness goes a long way. But you can't change where someone lives, you can't change their life stressors, you can't change their surroundings and the people near them.

I see where you are coming from, so maybe I need to clarify my point: I do not think you are wrong.

It seems to me that medical treatment can help drug addicts, even if these people remain addicts. We can provide clean needles to addicts, methadone on demand to keep addicts from turning to crime and violent acts for drugs and so forth. There seem to be ways, through medical treatment, that the harm to society can be significantly reduced without evening reducing the rate of addiction (though that should also be a goal of policy).

Aedes wrote:
Drug education programs are more nuanced than that. But you know, I think keeping it simple is a lot more likely to resonate. And while marijuana is safe, there is ample evidence that people who end up doing hard drugs had tried tobacco / alcohol / marijuana first -- so preventing marijuana use MAY prevent experimentation with harder drugs. Of course that's impossible to study, so we don't have controlled outcomes research on that question.

Well, marijuana is relatively safe, safer than alcohol and most anything else, but there is certainly some risk and physical harm. I'm especially worried about the increasingly young ages that kids begin to use drugs, marijuana included. A twenty five year old should be fine smoking a joint now and again, but an eleven-twelve year old is not. Not that you don't know this.

I agree with your 'keep it simple' idea, but we should also keep the information accurate. We need realistic teaching, not this fairy tale "just say no" which, by the way, is still drilled into students' heads. Or, at least, that was still a popular Health Class slogan in my day.

Aedes wrote:
1) Cigarette vending machines now illegal
2) Mandated and enforced carding of minors in stores
3) Billboard advertising now illegal (or heavily curtailed)
4) TV advertising eliminated
5) Magazine advertising extremely limited
6) Heavy taxation -- cigarettes are now ~ $4 a pack with taxes, which means a lot more to a kid spending his allowance money
7) No more "Joe Camel" or other ads that appeal directly to kids

Yes, ads have been reduced significantly. Banning the vending machines, and the supposedly enforced carding of minors does almost nothing, though. I say this because it wasn't so long ago that I was an underage smoker. All you need is a friend who is 18, which is easy to find in high school, or even just that one store around the corner that every town has which neglects to card.

And I know that increased taxes have driven up cigarette prices, but you can still find cigarettes for less than 3 dollars, less than two dollars. Even cheaper are these strange mini-cigar products that run about a dollar, dollar fifty. Not to mention the Salems I bought yesterday for a dollar each; they were on sale.

Aedes

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 05:06 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;52392 wrote:
Banning the vending machines, and the supposedly enforced carding of minors does almost nothing, though. I say this because it wasn't so long ago that I was an underage smoker. All you need is a friend who is 18, which is easy to find in high school, or even just that one store around the corner that every town has which neglects to card.

And I know that increased taxes have driven up cigarette prices, but you can still find cigarettes for less than 3 dollars, less than two dollars. Even cheaper are these strange mini-cigar products that run about a dollar, dollar fifty. Not to mention the Salems I bought yesterday for a dollar each; they were on sale.
There is a fairly strong evidence basis behind all of this. No system is perfect, but it doesn't have to be. It just has to be good enough. Nearly all smokers in the country begin smoking as teenagers. If 3000 people die every day from cigarette-induced disease, then the tobacco companies need roughly 3000 teenagers to start every day to maintain the same number. If you cut the number down to 1000 or 500 starting every day, then over the course of 2 or 3 years you slash the total number of smokers by hundreds of thousands.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Which is more dangerous?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 05:17:47