Diagnosis-"A broken heart."

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Diagnosis-"A broken heart."

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Elmud

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 12:15 am
There is a lot of talk about depression these days. You see it on the tv all the time. but depression is a clinical condition that rarely results in death due to the body just shutting down.

There have been cases, for example, where a person has been married for thirty years or so, when one of the two leaves or dies, and the other loses the will to live. and they die, and there is no clinical illness that caused the death. They just simply will themselves to die.

Dean Koonze once wrote, first there is existence. Then, there is fear. Fear of what? Non existence. When a person has a broken heart, maybe they lose this fear. They simply do not care anymore.

How would a doctor explain this? What would the psychologist or psychiatrist say? I don't think they can say anything. I don't think they know. The person simply passed away, from a broken heart.

Aedes

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 08:57 am
@Elmud,
I spend 2 weeks of every month doing general inpatient internal medicine. What you find among elderly people is that some of them really have a will to go on, and do stunningly well. Others just don't have that will, that motivation, and I think it affects their ability to eat, to move around, to self-care, etc.

I don't know about just dropping dead from a broken heart, sounds a bit Shakespearean to me. But times of great stress can make otherwise latent illnesses become much more active.

Elmud

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 11:49 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:

I don't know about just dropping dead from a broken heart, sounds a bit Shakespearean to me. But times of great stress can make otherwise latent illnesses become much more active.

yeah. Dropping dead from a broken heart would be an easier way to go. This condition takes time. Not much though. During that time the person has to think about what was, what could have been, what should have been, and what will never be again. Maybe this condition inactivates certain genes that would otherwise sustain us. I don't know.

Parapraxis

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 03:53 am
@Elmud,
I, personally, would reject the notion that depression is a "clinical condition"; but then I am critical of many psychiatric practices in general.

Elmud

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 04:08 pm
@Parapraxis,
Parapraxis wrote:
I, personally, would reject the notion that depression is a "clinical condition"; but then I am critical of many psychiatric practices in general.

I always wondered why they could not do blood work to find out if you were suffering from a chemical imbalance. I think maybe its a trial and error thing. Maybe they just see the symptoms and based on experience of other cases, try and put together a combination of medicinal treatments that have worked in the past. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't seem to help. I guess you could apply that to anything though.

Aedes

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 06:19 pm
@Parapraxis,
Parapraxis;52135 wrote:
Any basis for this? Depression has symptoms, complications, a biological basis, and a mortality rate, it causes people to present to clinical settings, and it is routinely treated by clinicians -- so what about that is not a clinical condition?

Elmud;52775 wrote:
I always wondered why they could not do blood work to find out if you were suffering from a chemical imbalance.
The chemical basis behind depression is a deficiency of serotonin and norepinephrine within synapses in the brain itself. Blood levels of norepinephrine are correlated with a billion different things, so a blood test would have no relationship to whether someone was depressed or not. Serotonin levels as far as I know DO have a clinical correlation with depression, but it's not specific enough to be used diagnostically.

But that's why people do clinical trials -- it's easy to make the diagnosis of various forms of depression just by interviewing and examining someone, so that makes a blood test unnecessary anyway. I mean if someone were happy and had a normal life, but had a blood test that suggested depression, why would you treat them? There would be no point. Conversely, if someone is clinically depressed but has a normal blood test, why would you not treat them?

Parapraxis

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 02:28 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Any basis for this? Depression has symptoms, complications, a biological basis, and a mortality rate, it causes people to present to clinical settings, and it is routinely treated by clinicians -- so what about that is not a clinical condition?

Many other "clinical condition" have been given a list of symptoms, a proposed biological "basis" and been treated by clinicians. One example is homosexuality; before it was removed from the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) it was regarded as a clinical condition, with symptoms (and complications) and was treated by clinicians. Just because a group of psychiatrists have decided (which is effectively how the DSM's diagnoses are decided) that "X", "Y" or "Z" is a clinical condition does not make it so. Additionally many people help people with depression who would not believe in this biological basis (such as psychotherapists), but virtue of them helping that does not make it a "psychotherapeutic condition".

As for a biological basis, that is contested, but I am not going to bore people with several references I'll just end up pulling out of a textbook. Whilst I would not reject there are biological elements in depression, if you wish to tell someone currently suffering depression because they have lost a family member that their depression is the result of a chemical imbalance, that's your perogative. Then again, some bouts of depression perhaps are biologically "started", but to say that all cases are the same is too narrow.

Incidentally, humans altogether have a mortality rate...shall we make living a clinical condition?

Aedes

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 05:25 am
@Elmud,
First, the phrase 'chemical imbalance' is a layperson's term. There is no disputing the abundance of literature from primary scientific sources demonstrating 1) low synaptic serotonin and norepinephrine in subjects with depression, 2) amelioration of their depression when medications are given that increase these levels, and 3) that therapy actually increases these levels comparably to drugs.

Next, the DSM committee defines disorders based on impairment PLUS the unique features of the disorder. Homosexuality does not in and of itself cause clinical impairment, so it makes no sense to categorize it as a clinical disorder. Sure, homosexuals may be at higher risk of depression and suicide, but so are people who have gotten divorced or lost their jobs, ie it's a risk factor at a population level.

Finally, you have erred by bringing up someone who has lost a family member. The DSM clearly distinguishes bereavement from major depression and other affective disorders. Bereavement is self-limited and physiologic. Some bereaved people actually respond well to a brief course of SSRI therapy, so they DO have this 'chemical imbalance'. I'd never say it like that, though, because you owe it to your patients to validate the things in their life that are weighing on them and not just blow it all off as deterministic biology.

Parapraxis

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 01:49 pm
@Aedes,
Quote:
First, the phrase 'chemical imbalance' is a layperson's term. There is no disputing the abundance of literature from primary scientific sources demonstrating 1) low synaptic serotonin and norepinephrine in subjects with depression, 2) amelioration of their depression when medications are given that increase these levels, and 3) that therapy actually increases these levels comparably to drugs.

I actually did not dispute that there would be biological elements within depression; the issue I was wished to raise was how mental illness is conceptualised. I think it is potentially unhelpful to talk of depression as a purely biological phenomenon when there is a variety of other factors that can contribute to onset, prognosis, recovery etc. The underlying principles of psychiatry (and the DSM) is that of a (biological) medical model, which treats mental health issues as biological diseases, when they may be better understood from a variety of viewpoints.

Quote:
Next, the DSM committee defines disorders based on impairment PLUS the unique features of the disorder. Homosexuality does not in and of itself cause clinical impairment, so it makes no sense to categorize it as a clinical disorder. Sure, homosexuals may be at higher risk of depression and suicide, but so are people who have gotten divorced or lost their jobs, ie it's a risk factor at a population level.

But homosexuality was once in the DSM as a clinical condition. My point was that by providing symptoms for a "condition" (as psychiatrists did when homosexuality was in the DSM) that does not then validate that as a condition.

Quote:
Finally, you have erred by bringing up someone who has lost a family member. The DSM clearly distinguishes bereavement from major depression and other affective disorders. Bereavement is self-limited and physiologic. Some bereaved people actually respond well to a brief course of SSRI therapy, so they DO have this 'chemical imbalance'. I'd never say it like that, though, because you owe it to your patients to validate the things in their life that are weighing on them and not just blow it all off as deterministic biology.

I'm glad that you would not blow it off as "deterministic biology"; whilst I accept there is evidence that some bouts of depression appear to have a biological origin, many other cases of depression may be better understood as psychological, psycho-social or a combination (etc.).

Even some mental health issues that people still regard as almost certainly being of biological origin appear (e.g. "schizophrenia") to have psycho-social factors influencing both onset and prognosis.

Elmud

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 05:08 pm
@Parapraxis,
One of the things that bother me , is that the psychiatrist doen't always warn the patient of the possible side effects of the medicine they are prescribing. Abilify for example can cause uncontrollable muscle tremors and high blood sugar. Most of the psyche drugs do have side effects.

Aedes

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 06:50 pm
@Parapraxis,
Parapraxis;52911 wrote:
The underlying principles of psychiatry (and the DSM) is that of a (biological) medical model, which treats mental health issues as biological diseases, when they may be better understood from a variety of viewpoints.
I hear you. But understand that medical practice is not biology. A psychiatric evaluation (and many general medical ones) needs to include a discussion about education, work, lifestyle, stressors, support systems, finances, etc. And we are in nearly constant contact with social workers, social services, financial advisors, support groups, etc to ensure that ALL relevant needs are attended to. My outpatient medical work is predominantly adolescent and pediatric HIV care, and believe me the HIV is the easy part -- it's addressing everything else in their lives that's the hard part.

Parapraxis;52911 wrote:
My point was that by providing symptoms for a "condition" (as psychiatrists did when homosexuality was in the DSM) that does not then validate that as a condition.
That's not how the DSM is generated. The condition already exists -- the research that goes into the DSM is epidemiologic and descriptive so that instead of people just being "crazy", we actually have useful ways to understand them.

The DSM is derived from clinical research studying populations of people who are impaired by a certain syndrome, and then deriving certain categories and subcategories based on their symptom complex. In this way they can broadly categorize people into have affective (mood) disorders (eg. depressive disorders, manic disorders, bipolar disorder), psychotic (thought) disorders (eg. schizophrenia), anxiety disorders, personality disorders, dissociative disorders (like fugue states, multiple personalities, etc), eating disorders, etc. I don't remember if the DSM includes dementia, delerium, etc, but either way these are other mental illnesses.

So depressed people are different than psychotic people. The former feel sad, feel guilt, lose their interests, have impaired sleep and appetite, can feel suicidal, etc. The latter have auditory hallucinations, think that the TV is talking to them, feel paranoid, etc. The clinical presentation is very different, the effect on their lives is very different, and the treatment is very different. So knowing these criteria literally can save their lives.

Parapraxis;52911 wrote:
Whilst I accept there is evidence that some bouts of depression appear to have a biological origin, many other cases of depression may be better understood as psychological, psycho-social or a combination (etc.).
They ALWAYS have both, because we always have a brain. And any psychiatrist worth the air he breathes knows this. The DSM describes bereavement as an entity, but it's not considered a disorder. It's normal to have symptoms indistinguishable from major depressive disorder after the death of a loved one. But what separates major depressive disorder from bereavement is that the former 1) lasts a lot longer, and 2) is not necessarily associated with a major loss.

Parapraxis;52911 wrote:
Even some mental health issues that people still regard as almost certainly being of biological origin appear (e.g. "schizophrenia") to have psycho-social factors influencing both onset and prognosis.
Everyone knows that. Even basic biologists know that, because they know that there are measurable biological / physiological changes that happen in response to psychosocial factors.

Elmud;52936 wrote:
One of the things that bother me , is that the psychiatrist doen't always warn the patient of the possible side effects of the medicine they are prescribing.
They have to, at least common or anticipated side effects.

Elmud

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 07:14 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:

They have to, at least common or anticipated side effects.

But, they don't Aedes. Not that I know of.

Aedes

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 07:35 pm
@Elmud,
Well, we've had different experiences then. I'm not a psychiatrist, but I prescribe new antidepressants to people a couple times a month (usually to treat neuropathic pain or functional pain eg fibromyalgia), and I always tell them the common side effects. Every psychiatrist I've ever known, including the ones I worked with in several months of (required!) psychiatry rotations as a med student, would do so. The only real exceptions would be 1) when you're giving a one time dose or brief course of something, like a dose of haldol or ativan to a patient, or 2) when the patient clearly is not capable of understanding or appropriating that information well. I mean Abilify is an antipsychotic, and think about what can happen if you tell a paranoid schizophrenic that you're giving him a drug with these possible side effects -- he'll think you're trying to poison him. That said, if someone asks you, you ALWAYS tell them.

Parapraxis

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 09:40 am
@Aedes,
Quote:
I hear you. But understand that medical practice is not biology. A psychiatric evaluation (and many general medical ones) needs to include a discussion about education, work, lifestyle, stressors, support systems, finances, etc. And we are in nearly constant contact with social workers, social services, financial advisors, support groups, etc to ensure that ALL relevant needs are attended to. My outpatient medical work is predominantly adolescent and pediatric HIV care, and believe me the HIV is the easy part -- it's addressing everything else in their lives that's the hard part.

Maybe this is just my understanding of psychiatric practices in the United Kingdom.

Quote:
That's not how the DSM is generated. The condition already exists...

I would dispute the notion that the condition already exists. Depression is not a concrete object, iI believe it to be more likely a construction, that is to say it is a term that has associated terms with it. One can create a term as part of psychiatric discourse and list associated "symptoms" with it; that does not mean to say that term actually "exists".

Quote:
The DSM is derived from clinical research studying populations of people who are impaired by a certain syndrome, and then deriving certain categories and subcategories based on their symptom complex. In this way they can broadly categorize people into have affective (mood) disorders (eg. depressive disorders, manic disorders, bipolar disorder), psychotic (thought) disorders (eg. schizophrenia), anxiety disorders, personality disorders, dissociative disorders (like fugue states, multiple personalities, etc), eating disorders, etc. I don't remember if the DSM includes dementia, delerium, etc, but either way these are other mental illnesses.

Broadly it can be found that the psychiatric labels created can apply to a range of people, yes. But no two cases of depression will be alike, the same is even more true for "schizophrenia".

Quote:
They ALWAYS have both, because we always have a brain. And any psychiatrist worth the air he breathes knows this.

I did not suggest biological factors should be ruled out completely, just that occasionally they may be of minimal importance when compared to other factors.

Quote:
Everyone knows that. Even basic biologists know that, because they know that there are measurable biological / physiological changes that happen in response to psychosocial factors.

I am glad you recognise this, for many seem to think that the measurable biological/physiological changes are a result only of biological factors, and ignore others.

I wish not to completely undermine the practice of psychiatry, but I do think it is important to think critically about things, and not simply accept psychiatric discourse as truisms, that "depression" and "schizophrenia" do actually exist as concrete (and dichotomous) disorders.

Aedes

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 07:43 pm
@Parapraxis,
Parapraxis;53014 wrote:
I would dispute the notion that the condition already exists. Depression is not a concrete object, iI believe it to be more likely a construction, that is to say it is a term that has associated terms with it. One can create a term as part of psychiatric discourse and list associated "symptoms" with it; that does not mean to say that term actually "exists".
Ok, well what does exist is a subset of humans who have a common set of complaints, symptoms, and signs, that there are neurobiological correlates that occur with more specificity in this group than in the general population, and that when this population is studied certain drug therapies and cognitive therapies will improve their symptoms and life functioning compared with placebo or lack of therapy.

Even if you don't believe "the condition already exists", you cannot dispute that such people already exist. And depression or affective disorders are terms used to describe this particular constellation of findings as 1) unique and 2) distinct from the general population.

None of this is at all mutually exclusive with the heterogeneity of 1) people or 2) the presentation of depression.

Parapraxis

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 03:25 am
@Aedes,
Quote:
Ok, well what does exist is a subset of humans who have a common set of complaints, symptoms, and signs, that there are neurobiological correlates that occur with more specificity in this group than in the general population, and that when this population is studied certain drug therapies and cognitive therapies will improve their symptoms and life functioning compared with placebo or lack of therapy.

This is somewhat true, though drug therapies and cognitive therapies will:
i) Not be effective for everyone
ii) Even if it does "work", it does not work with the same efficacy in everyone, particularly antidepressants (click here or here)
iii) Thus depression does not exist as discretely as catergorical diagnostic tools such as the DSM would believe.

Quote:
Even if you don't believe "the condition already exists", you cannot dispute that such people already exist. And depression or affective disorders are terms used to describe this particular constellation of findings as 1) unique and 2) distinct from the general population.

Yes, this is my point...they are terms (constructions) not necessarily "real" or "tangible" conditions that can be seen, or "proven".

Aedes

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 11:01 am
@Parapraxis,
Parapraxis wrote:
This is somewhat true, though drug therapies and cognitive therapies will:
i) Not be effective for everyone
ii) Even if it does "work", it does not work with the same efficacy in everyone, particularly antidepressants (click here or here)
iii) Thus depression does not exist as discretely as catergorical diagnostic tools such as the DSM would believe.
This misses the point, though. Case report (eg anecdotal) level evidence is non-evidence in medicine. You need to study populations. You learn about populations and about categories, and that way when evaluating an individual patient you aren't starting completely from scratch. That way you can try therapies that on a population level help people with that symptom complex. Much of clinical medicine, whether psychiatry or not, is pattern-recognition.

If I take 10,000 people who self-identify as "always sad" and 10,000 normal controls, I will find a population-level statistically meaningful difference between the study group and controls if my study questions are the described features of depression. And at that population level, if I do such a study, I will find that Prozac will work better than Penicillin, better than Procrit, better than Tylenol, better than Immodium, better than Gas-X, and better than placebo at alleviating their symptoms.

Then I'm in clinic, someone comes up to me and says they're sad all the time, they can't eat anymore, they stay up all night worrying, they feel guilty, they have no interest in anything, their relationships have all gone to hell and they can't hold down a job, and this has been going on for years. And regardless of the ontology of depression, I know that this person has a symptom complex highly similar to well-described cohorts of patients who are collectively described as having clinical depression. I also know that statistically this patient is likely to improve with antidepressant therapy, and based on other patient factors I can determine the benefit vs risk of treating him.

Quote:
Yes, this is my point...they are terms (constructions) not necessarily "real" or "tangible" conditions that can be seen, or "proven".
Well, the same is true for lots of autoimmune diseases, like lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, for many syndromes like CHARGE syndrome and VACTERL syndrome and kawasaki's disease, for some infectious syndromes like rheumatic fever. There is no 100% reliable diagnostic test for many of these. But you can make syndromic diagnoses.

And given that we know that there are biological abnormalities that occur in depressed patients, it may be possible that the diagnosis of depression will be tangibly provable in the future.

Parapraxis

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 01:33 pm
@Aedes,
Quote:
This misses the point, though. Case report (eg anecdotal) level evidence is non-evidence in medicine. You need to study populations.

By virtue of medical practices rejecting case studies as valuable evidence, or of any worth, does that mean they should be disregarded altogether? This may depend on whether one wishes to treat people as individuals or as mere statistics.

Additionally I believe the evidence I cited with regards to antidepressants was not anecdotal.

Quote:
You learn about populations and about categories, and that way when evaluating an individual patient you aren't starting completely from scratch.

So long as the patient fits the population trends, which whilst he or she may be probable to do, may not always.
That way you can try therapies that on a population level help people with that symptom complex. Much of clinical medicine, whether psychiatry or not, is pattern-recognition.

Quote:
If I take 10,000 people who self-identify as "always sad" and 10,000 normal controls, I will find a population-level statistically meaningful difference between the study group and controls if my study questions are the described features of depression. And at that population level, if I do such a study, I will find that Prozac will work better than Penicillin, better than Procrit, better than Tylenol, better than Immodium, better than Gas-X, and better than placebo at alleviating their symptoms.

I'll refer to you my original links regarding the efficacy of antidepressants. I'm never surprised at drugs proving better than placebo, to prove that something (i.e. the drug) is better than nothing (i.e. the placebo) is not incredibly difficult.

Quote:
Then I'm in clinic, someone comes up to me and says they're sad all the time, they can't eat anymore, they stay up all night worrying, they feel guilty, they have no interest in anything, their relationships have all gone to hell and they can't hold down a job, and this has been going on for years. And regardless of the ontology of depression, I know that this person has a symptom complex highly similar to well-described cohorts of patients who are collectively described as having clinical depression. I also know that statistically this patient is likely to improve with antidepressant therapy, and based on other patient factors I can determine the benefit vs risk of treating him.

Again this relates to whether one wishes to treat the person as an individual or a mere statistic; and assumes that the person will fit the appropriate statistical trends.

Quote:
And given that we know that there are biological abnormalities that occur in depressed patients, it may be possible that the diagnosis of depression will be tangibly provable in the future.

It is possible, but is diagnosis necessarily required in the first place? Some critics of current psychiatric practices suggest there is not a great need for labelling people with diagnostic terms, and a symptom-oriented approach may be more appropriate, that is to say treating the individual symptoms causing impairment regardless of whether they are commonly found within the diagnostic criteria or not.

Aedes

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 02:12 pm
@Parapraxis,
Parapraxis wrote:
By virtue of medical practices rejecting case studies as valuable evidence, or of any worth, does that mean they should be disregarded altogether?
A case report is useful to prompt more formal study of a question. I can't disclose too much about this at the moment until October or November, but I'm on a national board for which this is an active question (there are many case reports that contradict several randomized, placebo-controlled trials). Case studies are VERY useful when well-designed trials are lacking, but when the trials are good, then a case study does not add much unless the patient in question is very different than the patients in the study (the baseline characteristics). It's WELL known that highly variable medical practice 1) increases mortality and complications, and 2) increases costs. Limiting variability improves almost all measurable outcomes. And you limit variability by doing good research and establishing an evidence-based standard of care.

Parapraxis wrote:
This may depend on whether one wishes to treat people as individuals or as mere statistics.
That's a common slogan, but that's not how statistics are used in medicine. You NEVER know which way someone will respond. But you know that other people like them usually do, almost always do, almost always don't, (whatever) respond to therapy X. That gives you a basis by which to decide if it's worth trying a therapy or not.

Parapraxis wrote:
Additionally I believe the evidence I cited with regards to antidepressants was not anecdotal.
Mammography picks up 90% of breast cancers and misses 10% of them. That's not anecdotal. That means that for any given patient in the studied group, eg. women over 50 years of age, statistically there is a 90% chance that a breast cancer that exists at the time of screening will be detected by mammography. It also means that you'll miss 10% of them. When a patient comes in for screening, there's no way of knowing if they have a mammographically-invisible breast cancer. But you do the screen in order to pick up the other 90% of them.

Same with antidepressants. I don't know the stats, but say that in large blinded randomized trials comparing drug to placebo, 50% of antidepressant-treated patients have a major improvement in symptoms, an additional 30% have minor improvement, and 20% are the same or worse. And say that there is no way to distinguish in advance the ones who will respond. (We're assuming statistically significant results here, i.e. low P-values for single comparisons of means).

This means that for every 10 patients you treat 8 will have a significant improvement and 5 of those 10 will have a major improvement. Sure sounds like it's worth a shot to me. Now, if those 2 out of 10 who don't improve actually die, then it's not worth the risk. If they just don't get any better, then it IS worth the risk.

That's how medical calculations are made. There is a statistic in medicine called the number-needed-to-treat. It's 1 divided by the absolute risk reduction. In words, that means it's the number of people you need to treat in order to achieve outcome x or y. If you are only going to make 1 person better for every 20000 people you treat, it's generally not going to be worth it.

Parapraxis wrote:
I'm never surprised at drugs proving better than placebo, to prove that something (i.e. the drug) is better than nothing (i.e. the placebo) is not incredibly difficult.
Then you don't understand what a placebo is. A placebo is NOT nothing. You can't exclude a placebo effect when doing a drug trial unless you actually use a placebo in the control arm.

In placebo-controlled trials the patients do not know whether they're getting the drug or not. They are blinded as to which study arm they are in. They're taking something that looks like the drug. There are IV placebos, and there have been trials for placebo chiropractics, placebo therapy, etc. In double blinded trials, the investigators don't know which group the patients are in either -- that is kept in a database, and it is not revealed which group was which until after all the statistical analysis is done.

Think about doing a four arm trial here -- Prozac (an antidepressant) versus Erythromycin (an antibiotic) versus Nifedipine (an antihypertensive) versus placebo. All patients are given pills that look indistinguishable, and they're not told what group they're in. You will find a placebo effect in all groups (NOT all individuals), but you will find a statistically FAR greater improvement in depression in the Prozac group compared with all others.

Parapraxis wrote:
It is possible, but is diagnosis necessarily required in the first place?
Yes, because you can't figure out what treatments work if you don't know if the patient fits a studied population or not. There are costs, toxicities, and delays. And just looking at the patient without even asking them a question sends your clinical brain down a diagnostic algorhithm.

I understand that you have strong feelings about this domain in particular. So let's find something more neutral or obvious. Let's talk about ferns. If you think every human is unique, you ain't seen nothing yet. Humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes. Some fern species have as many as 630 pairs of chromosomes.

Say that you have a fern growing in a pot on your front step. It starts to wilt one day. You decide to sing love songs to it. A black cat walks in a circle around it. It rains that night. A butterfly lands on it and flutters its wings. And it happens to be a full moon. The next day the fern has recovered.

So did the black cat make the fern recover? Was it your love songs? Was it the rain?

You tell me that you think that it was the love songs. I tell you that I think it was the rain. But you know, it might just be complete coincidence. So we decide to do a controlled trial.

We take 4000 potted ferns, grow them the same way for a month, and then let them start to wilt. We take 1000 of the ferns and water them. Group 2 is 1000 ferns that we sing love songs to. Group 3 we do both love songs and water. Group 4 we do nothing at all, just leave them there.

And we find out that 90% of the ferns in group 1 (only water) and 88% of the ferns in group 3 (water plus love songs) survive, and there is no statistical difference. We find that 5% of the ferns in group 2 (love songs alone) and 2% of group 4 (nothing) survive. These are statistically identical to one another, but they are both different than groups 1 and 3 with a high degree of statistical confidence.

So then you decide to become a fern doctor. And a fern owner brings you a wilted fern. You take a clinical history of the fern and learn that he has not been watering it.

What is your advice? Are you going to use what you've learned from this clinical trial to prescribe a drug (water) that is expected to work around 90% of the time? Or are you going to disregard the water because every fern is an individual and not a statistic?

Parapraxis

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 06:34 am
@Aedes,
Quote:
...ut when the trials are good, then a case study does not add much unless the patient in question is very different than the patients in the study (the baseline characteristics)
As I understand it, and correct me if I'm wrong, the DSM is categorical, that is to say if person "X" and I have the same set of symptoms, even if I have them to a considerably "lesser degree of impairment" to person X, if we fill the same criteria we can receive the same diagnosis. In this sense, I do not see how the DSM (alone) takes into account "baseline characteristics" - though perhaps psychiatric diagnostic procedures where you work do not rely solely on the DSM, though as I understand it in modern British medicine/psychiatry, the DSM is the popular "go-to" tool.

Quote:
That's a common slogan, but that's not how statistics are used in medicine. You NEVER know which way someone will respond. But you know that other people like them usually do, almost always do, almost always don't, (whatever) respond to therapy X. That gives you a basis by which to decide if it's worth trying a therapy or not.
I do not really see how you have refuted that treating the individual as a statistic is not a popular psychiatric practice. I could be wrong, but I get the impression from implying that "You know that other people like them usually..." that this provides a valid enough basis to assume that they too will fit the statistics. Admittedly, by treating every single person as an "indvidual" this removes the "evidence-base" that psychiatry relies on to support the dispensation of psychopharmacological treatments that themselves have varied responses.

My point with regards to anecdotal evidence, was that you suggested I could not use anecdotal evidence to support my points when in fact I had cited to empirical studies.

I know very well what a placebo is and a placebo trial is, thank you very much. My point was to try and prove that a drug that is specifically designed to work, against a placebo that is not designed to work is not entirely difficult. I am never surprised that in such trials the drug does prove better than placebo, but sometimes the "threshold" of what is considered more effective than placebo is too low and as Moncrieff puts it "...is easily accounted for by nonspecific psychological and pharmacologic effects" (link here)

I'm not going to respond to your point about ferns. My question was somewhat rhetorical, Socratic rather...and it suggested you do not really understand from what position I am coming from.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Diagnosis-"A broken heart."
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 05:40:17