A gaming philosophy

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » A gaming philosophy

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 03:26 am
Undoubtedly,and insomach as I had seen those aspirants of online games,I should expostulate that the mind is somewhat stimulated into nifty portrays of fighting and gore,and will always harks back to it.

Whenever one beholds animation,chiefly occult,you will feel that you hanker for playing it irrevocably,and another of my supposition is that games have this veiled captivation which coerce the mind into looking at it.

Even if you do not relish those listless games,looking at this computer screen will induce you to be captivated,and forswear switching off the computer.It may be authentic and pervasive.We are reliant on multimedia,and yet we are not acquainted with this imbroglio.

So this is a potent catalyst of the 21st century-Computers.

manored

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 10:40 am
@Ennui phil,
I wasnt going to reply to this because I understood nothing, then I realized that it was probally the same reason nobody else had posted yet, so I decided to post it just to warn you that maybe people arent answering because they arent managing to understand Smile

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 11:01 am
@manored,
Fear not all, I have my Ennui translator at hand!!!

Ennui wrote:
Undoubtedly,and insomach as I had seen those aspirants of online games,I should expostulate that the mind is somewhat stimulated into nifty portrays of fighting and gore,and will always harks back to it.

Whenever one beholds animation,chiefly occult,you will feel that you hanker for playing it irrevocably,and another of my supposition is that games have this veiled captivation which coerce the mind into looking at it.

Even if you do not relish those listless games,looking at this computer screen will induce you to be captivated,and forswear switching off the computer.It may be authentic and pervasive.We are reliant on multimedia,and yet we are not acquainted with this imbroglio.

So this is a potent catalyst of the 21st century-Computers.

Translation by VideCorSpoon wrote:
The mind is stimulated by games that portray fighting and gore.

Whenever you play games like these (i.e. fighting and gory games), you like playing them. Also, games are made in such a way that they entice us to play them.

So because these games are so enticing, we play them even though we may not even like them because we are so taken in by the images of the game. Refrigerator. We are in a sense addicted to multimedia like these video games but we are not aware of this occurrence.

Editors notes: What I think Ennui is getting at is that we play fighting and gory videogames all the time, but we do not realize the content of the game because we are so consumed with the imagery the game provides us. In a sense, we are so distracted by the fact that videogames are so good looking graphically that we do not care to think about the negative connotations (fighting and gore) the videogames portrays.

sarathustrah

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 04:28 pm
@Ennui phil,
impressive vocabulary but not easy to translate... the phrases, though heard before, confused on how exactly you meant to express your thoughts...

but im a console gamer and am deeply compelled to be involved in this conversation no matter what direction it takes ;P i even think my first blog at this site was a gamer rant...

i think games mean a great variety to different people...

i am impressed with graphics, sure... but in my experience i prefer quick load times and simplicity in my games... which means sacrificing these over done graphics...

i remember playing ridge racer when playstation first came out... i was absolutely amazed at how real it looked Razz psh... but obviously that was silly seeing how far it has come... even being confused, briefly, at first whether beowulf was animation or not...

im addicted to games no doubt about it... of course we all have an addiction to something... reading, television, games... one is not better than the other though... because i get alot out of playing online multiplayer games

friends... experiences... teamwork... critical thinking... quick thinking... strategy... lot better than a dull absorbing of a tv show... at least a video game keeps you completely involved...

but like everything else... moderation is the key to a healthy dose of anything...

gore is beautiful... gears of war shotgun kills are well done... torque... boomshot... best of all a sniper head shot... but thats only a fraction of the experiences games offer...

gotta go though

Zetherin

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 04:40 pm
@Ennui phil,
Quote:

We are naturally desensitized; Humans enjoy the prospect of gore on some level. Generally, however, we don't enjoy the gore being presented in the reality around us. Watching gory movies, hearing second hand stories horror stories, and most recently during our techno era, video games, allow us to enjoy gore without compromising our morality. These are outlets for our natural bloodlust, without the expense of anyone's life. Does the presentation allow for a more entertaining experience? Sure, but we still enjoy the material regardless, I think.

hammersklavier

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 02:15 pm
@Ennui phil,
Vide, Refrigerator???

Nice vocab, Ennui...you may well be the next Immanuel Kant! I too play console games, so too I have something to say in this position.

I actually prefer, in general, playing action-adventures, esp. ones with mythical components. I agree that too many of today's games are desensitizing, which is why we should treasure the ones which are actually cathartic in nature instead--you know, like Zelda?

I've been playing a Metroid recently, and last night I finally beat this ridiculous rock boss but when I went back to save it, some random ****ing Space Pirates popped out of nowhere and killed me before I could (needless to say, there was some serious controller flinging after that). So I'm also beginning to think if a game's too hard, it can tap into your emotions in a drastically negative way.

manored

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 03:59 pm
@Ennui phil,
I think they can also tap into a positive way, as in making people more perseverant over time, and its really gratificating to finaly beat a hard part after eons of trying Smile

Personally I admit that gorefull graphics are entertaining, but in games I usually prefer to have little details rather than graphics. With that I mean that I prefer a game where you can cut someone's arm in a single place and then use it was a weapon over a game where you can cut someone's arm in multiple ways but cant use it for anything.

hammersklavier

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 05:22 pm
@manored,
Interesting. The fireworks didn't come because I finally beat that annoying boss, it was rather because three Space Pirates suddenly appeared in the 500 or so yards between the save station and boss chamber! Man was I pissed! That's the most frustrating kind of programming trick in the book :listening:.

sarathustrah

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 11:15 am
@Ennui phil,
i think it depends on the personality entirely for the most part when it comes to difficulty level and amount of gore...

i cant watch faces of death... but theres something about gears of war thats soothing... especially the sound effects when playing horde... it really takes all my stress away... and im not a violent person at all... im against war... i think people should be civilized... but a war against zombies or aliens is more healthy to simulate than a war between other humans with different lifestyles or values... but anyways Razz

when it comes to a difficulty level... i hate to fail... i enjoy success after effort sure... but im the type to shamelessly use a guide on tombraider... but id never use cheats... if i need cheats to succeed i just play a different game (like i hate grand theft auto but i love saints row) however friends of mine play on hardcore or advanced or the equivalent right away but ill play on casual or easy just so i dont get stressed out... im the type to enjoy score accumulation more than just passing the stage...

but in my experiences online it just seems there are people who enjoy drama and enjoy stress... and whos to say thats wrong... even if its supposedly psychologically unhealthy...

manored

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 01:01 pm
@hammersklavier,
hammersklavier wrote:
Interesting. The fireworks didn't come because I finally beat that annoying boss, it was rather because three Space Pirates suddenly appeared in the 500 or so yards between the save station and boss chamber! Man was I pissed! That's the most frustrating kind of programming trick in the book :listening:.
I agree Smile Better hope its not one of those "repeat all the bosses on final level" games.

I think games offer relief for emotions we cannot relieve anywhere else. I found out I was kinda sadist then playing Black & White (A be-god game) and finding immense fun into throwing people around and frying then with lighting Smile

Doobah47

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 07:08 pm
@sarathustrah,
sarathustrah wrote:
i think it depends on the personality entirely for the most part when it comes to difficulty level and amount of gore...

Doubtful, I'm sure it depends on the exploitation of carnal desires vis a vis the aforementioned eyeball-screen relationship. There's no real fun in delivering faked execution to things in a fantasy world, I think it is all a satiation of a nurtured desire, albeit one founded in reality...

Icon

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 07:41 am
@Ennui phil,
I was a sponsored Pro-Gamer for quite some time. For me, it has nothing to do with the game itself...

For me, it is the skill. It was the strive to be better than the next person in every way possible. Faster, more accurate, smarter with a better strategy and a couple of well placed grenades.

I was a sponsored Halo 2 player, my specialty was sniping and heavy vehicles. Still, I also enjoy games where you build things or solve puzzles or even just run around and and click on things to activate them. For me, it is all about being the best.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 09:27 am
@Icon,
http://i41.tinypic.com/seats7.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/10xd7nm.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/345lug6.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2w2l9qu.jpg

Icon

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 10:50 am
@VideCorSpoon,
Vide... What's your GT?

Hit me up. I'll play some Halo 3 with you. I am bigger fan of COD: World At War but I wouldn't mind dusting off my Halo disk and reclaiming my place among the Elite Spartans. <--- halo pun

VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 07:47 pm
@Ennui phil,
Halo 3 Service Record

http://i41.tinypic.com/2cxar7a.gif

Invincible... I haz it.

Whats your GT?

I admit I have always wanted to play Call of Duty, but I never got around to getting the game. The demo was great though.

As for Halo, I have my good days, my great days, and my really bad days. But we definitely should hit up the Halo. I wonder if other people may be interested in forming a ringer group. Should we form a "philosophical death squad?"

sarathustrah

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 09:24 pm
@Doobah47,
Doobah47 wrote:
Doubtful, I'm sure it depends on the exploitation of carnal desires vis a vis the aforementioned eyeball-screen relationship. There's no real fun in delivering faked execution to things in a fantasy world, I think it is all a satiation of a nurtured desire, albeit one founded in reality...

lol... seriously?

i meant it depends on personality on what level of difficulty you choose to play on... easy to succeed even if you could eventually beat it with more effort and more playtime... its not like you can take every person and personality and sum it up into one summary of how everyone thinks and reacts to difficulty levels and gore amounts

i also meant amount of gore as in like halo being a less amount than gears... or none at all in guitar hero, rockband or most racing games....

my gamertag is xXI SARA IXx
if anyone is interested in sending a friend request, a message accompanying it would be appreciated so i know who you are Razz

those halo shots are beautiful videcor

and i would post screenies of the custom forza cars i designed (like the tampax racer, the jurrasic park car, harley quinn, tomb raider, and many joker cards) but i doubt anyone would appreciate them Razz (to make the decals you have to use hundreds of basic shapes at different gradients and distortions to make it look like a design which takes 6-30+ hours)

i also have a bunch of good gears snaps i need to get uploaded

... should i make the GameBattles: The World Leader in Online Video Game Competition "PDS" page Wink
(i have halo 3 but i typically only play when i have company, and being a gears person im not so good) but if your the type of gamer personalities who play for fun and not to win every time then id love to join your clan :a-ok:

http://gearsofwar.xbox.com/photogallery/default.htm?ViewType=4&SubID=A538DD551409FDE503E9

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » A gaming philosophy
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 06:29:30