Valentine's Day

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Valentine's Day

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 11:26 pm
Kierkegaard once wrote, "There are many things between heaven and earth, they say, which no philosopher has explored. Among those things is also this realm [love]. This might be because philosophers do not think about such things. More likely there are other reasons."

Doing a search on this forum "Valentine" yielded 1 result, and "Valentine's" no result.

I know you guys are so busy in philosophy textbooks and lectures, but you people did know there was a Valentine's Day coming up right....?

Laughing

Zetherin

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 12:35 am
@Victor Eremita,
You mean did I know my wallet is about to be approximately $300 lighter due to a female companion during this consumerist holiday?

Oh, yes, I'm very aware, and so is my bank account.

Victor Eremita

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 01:47 am
@Victor Eremita,
Only $300, eh?

Ah love is in the air, so thusly I am acting crazy.

hammersklavier

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 08:43 am
@Victor Eremita,
Do you mean that there is a total lack of female companionship by my side on this consumerist holiday? (Fremo) Yeah, I noticed.

God I hate this *holiday*.

rambo phil

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 09:50 pm
@Victor Eremita,
This "holiday" is not totally about companionship just most of society have percieved it that way and somehow freeenterprise and capitalism got their hands on it. Then it all turns into where the males have to do something special for one of many other days throughout the year ie birthday, aniversary, christmas, ect...

Zetherin

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 10:07 pm
@rambo phil,
rambo wrote:
This "holiday" is not totally about companionship just most of society have percieved it that way and somehow freeenterprise and capitalism got their hands on it. Then it all turns into where the males have to do something special for one of many other days throughout the year ie birthday, aniversary, christmas, ect...

I completely agree. For one, if a couple has to single a day out to show intense affection, I feel that's an indication there's an underlying problem with the relationship to begin with.

Quite literally, our feelings are taken advantage of, thrown into a capitalistic pot, and then unleashed to the public. They even try to encompass the whole spectrum of human emotion (well, the positive ones that is, otherwise we wouldn't spend money!) Valentine's Day - Love, Christmas - Joy, Wonderment, Halloween - Artificial Fear (bringing excitement), Birthday - Using the concept of 'maturity', aging, to promote cheer. And I can't even count all the religiously affiliated holidays like Easter that milk these poor bastards even more.

Valentine's Day has a lot to do with Love, the taking advantage of Love, that is.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Valentine's Day
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 10:52:17