Language is more powerful than biology

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Language is more powerful than biology

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 09:16 pm
Great article this :

Has Cultural Evolution Replaced Biology?

my only point to make here is this :

the essence of culture is language;
our universe has been created;
in the beginning was the word ...

Aedes

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 10:15 pm
@Poseidon,
I don't think that he's making the case for language or culture being part of biology. It's more like he finds it ironic that we who are a product of evolution now play a conscious hand in it.

By the way, isn't language part of biology?

Poseidon

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 05:18 pm
@Poseidon,
I have never heard of any theory that has found language to be caused by biology. I felt he was saying that language (culture & art, etc) has taken over from biology as the primary cause in how our lives are constructed.

When a Japanese person grows up surrounded by English speakers, and no contact to Japanese speakers, he certainly does not sprout Japanese, but English.

A computer synthesizer can speak English without the slightest trace of biology within it.

Fido

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 07:45 pm
@Poseidon,
Certainly the ability to speak is biological, and speech has been selected for, as a factor in survival....Now, we have turned communication into the means to formulate and pass not only information, but knowledge.... All knowledge at some point takes the form of words. and all knowedge feeds survival or it is not knowledge, but anti-knowledge...

paulhanke

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 09:42 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Now, we have turned communication...

... what's this "we" stuff? - haven't you heard of the "invisible hand"? ... Culture: it's alive! IT'S ALIVE!!! Wink

Fido

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 10:10 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... what's this "we" stuff? - haven't you heard of the "invisible hand"? ... Culture: it's alive! IT'S ALIVE!!! Wink

Ya; the invisible hand that is always picking my pockets and choking the life out of society...If you need a hand you better find some way of doing without...

paulhanke

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 10:19 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Ya; the invisible hand that is always picking my pockets and choking the life out of society...If you need a hand you better find some way of doing without...

... ah ha! - I see you have actually met the invisible hand!!! Wink

Fido

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 05:39 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... ah ha! - I see you have actually met the invisible hand!!! Wink

Ya; one hand for the left shoulder, one for the right; and the invisible one for the prostate exam...

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Language is more powerful than biology
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 07:19:05