Philosophy Grads in Demand!!!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Philosophy Grads in Demand!!!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 12:12 pm
This is a snippet from a blog talking about an article from the THE (times higher education) magazine....
VideCorSpoon wrote:
The THE [Times Higher Education] published an article in their 1-7 January 2009 edition that I read with interest, looking at philosophy graduates in the world of work. Hannah Fearn wrote that 'employers have discovered that a mind sharpened by the study of philosophy is ideal for today's workplace' and cited a number of professional reports, major employers and philosophy lecturers, all of whom attested to the fact that philosophy graduates, 'with the ability to analyse problems, to think creatively, self-critically and independently', are now considered to be very highly employable. Perhaps most interesting was the recent increase in philosophy graduates employed in the financial world and in those who go on to study for an MBA. The article also quoted James Garvey (Continuum author and secretary of the Royal Institute of Philosophy), who said that 'someone with a philosophy degree stands a better chance of thinking independently and clearly, and seeing through fallacious reasoning', but also warned that 'the discipline has always been misunderstood' and that there is still some hesitation among potential employers. But with student numbers increasing (up ten per cent in the last five years), it seems the future is bright for philosophy graduates and for the discipline as a whole.

Hot dang, right? Is the profession of philosophy finally getting its time in the sun after all these years of turbo-charged, scientifically oriented empirical thinking? Probably not. But it's nice to know that philosophy graduates are finding a home (much like a skinny, wet dog being adopted at a local ASPCA) in the grander world. I get this alumni magazine from both my old school and my major departments in philosophy and history. Out of the 10,000 or so students who attend, only a few hundred are in the philosophy department and around three hundred are in the history department. Apparently, the numbers are dropping. But surprisingly enough, there is an 83% acceptance rate of the philosophy students to graduate schools. That's not bad at all. It would be interesting to know what the employ rate is for recent graduates.

In my case, I thought professional school was the only way to go with a philosophy degree, but apparently there is a growing demand in the average sectors for philosophy. Now when someone asks you do do something, you can legitimately ask "why?" LOL!

Catchabula

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 01:48 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
I wish I had been smart enough to use this argumentarium when I was looking for a job a long time ago. While sollicitating I only emphasised on skills that were relatively outside the realm of philosophy, let's say typing speed or my affinity with languages. I deliberately was hiding the best in myself; somehow the climate of the age taught me to be ashamed of it, of the very degree I had worked for during four years. Nobody had a job with that degree then, those who could afford it following some postgraduate course, such as library science or informatics. My heart is glad and is singing the old song: "For the times they are achanging..." :-)

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 01:59 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
This is one of the reasons why I decided to pursue grad school in philosophy rather than a more competitive field. I want to teach at the college level, and from some things I had seen a couple of years back, philosophy appeared less competitive than a social science, English, or literature. I am glad to see that there is more data verifying my suspicions. Now I have more info to through at my doubters.

Catchabula

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 02:09 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
Just wanted to point out that we went through this before ("Papers please" a.o.)

manored

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 11:22 am
@Catchabula,
I think people shouldnt graduate in philosophy to work in other areas because people who are insterested in philosophy will already have super fexible minds by default, as people interested in philosophy will seek or think it out on their own as a form of recreation Smile

Off course one may graduate in philosophy not with working purposes, but out of this very same hunger for knowledge, in wich case I would see no logical contradiction on the matter.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 10:45 pm
@manored,
Gotta make them papers, folks.

Great news, Vide!

I've said it before: in college, study what interests you. I've known art majors who have run hundred million dollar manufacturing shops. The fact that you have a college degree often times is more important than what the degree is in. Graduating college demonstrates a certain degree of intellectual capacity and ability to dedicate one's effort to work. That's what employers want: smart folks who will work hard.

Khethil

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 05:50 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon wrote:
Is the profession of philosophy finally getting its time in the sun after all these years of turbo-charged, scientifically oriented empirical thinking? Probably not.

Well said -and- Wow, wouldn't that be nice.

I've no idea whether or not this is a trend that's really happening, but I'd really like to see it. It just strikes me as a *wise move* that those who've waded into the science of human thought and behavior should have a place in the world of real, practical benefit.

On the first day in my first philosophy class we were told that heads of state regularly consulted these schooled in philosophy. While - at the time - I was quite happy to hear it, subsequent experience explained that most are too egotistical, too deeply ensconced in their own ideas, to consult others on divergent philosophical issues.

I hope; though. It'd be damned nice

Thanks

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Philosophy Grads in Demand!!!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 05:31:46