Am I an atheist?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

StupidBoy phil

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 11:51 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
These terms aren't concerned with lack or presence of knowledge - not directly. As has been iterated countless times; they are concerned with the presence or lack of belief

Since I cannot be 100% certain in my belief as to whether or not there is one or more deities, I would have to qualify myself as an agnostic, technically. Just like most theists have some doubt about their beliefs.

Khethil

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 11:11 am
@StupidBoy phil,
StupidBoy wrote:
Since I cannot be 100% certain in my belief as to whether or not there is one or more deities, I would have to qualify myself as an agnostic, technically. Just like most theists have some doubt about their beliefs.

Good point and well put.

We can doubt anything; everything! Indeed, I believe there's almost nothing we can be 100% certain about. But I know what I believe... and I like to keep it flexible - giving me the opportunity to change as evidence and need tide or ebb. It's an uphill battle for me since I find pride often enters in... waving its arms madly against anything that runs contrary to my ego (I don't think I'm alone in this, either).

But answering this question ("What do I believe?") is very, very important. It embarks one on a journey to find themselves. Always there is prejudice, pride, skewed facts, emotions and other factors that float in the soup of human thought. Plowing through this to how do I really feel?, I think, is extremely important. What answer one comes to is almost irrelevant

I must admit to a bias here: I have this inkling that many declare themselves agnostic out of convenience; declaring, "I can't know". Yet even these - the simplest of terms - speak not to knowledge on iota. Its only when one peels back the layers of self-deception and embark on an honest episode of critical self-inquiry can they even begin to know themselves; and knowing 'how I feel' gives invaluable insight to 'what I believe'.

Thanks - nice response there.

manored

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 04:18 pm
@Khethil,
Well they arent incorrect then they say they cant know, how deep they care to go after that is their problem, right? Smile

Khethil

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 06:32 am
@manored,
manored wrote:
Well they arent incorrect then they say they cant know, how deep they care to go after that is their problem, right? Smile

It depends, really.

The basic question doesn't ask what you know, it asks what you believe.

Henrik phil

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 05:59 am
@comdavid,
comdavid;44385 wrote:

in both, u find the search that each character is doing for trying to understand the existance of a possible God.

so, the base of my point of view is that u always have been leaded by some in ur way, maybe thanks to the education that u have recibied during your life or why not, some in our brain that was born with u.

I was raised a christian, and have a really good relationship with my parents. My closest friends are also christians, and i have went to christian schools all my life.

But yes, I can have been influenced by the secular society around me or from some of the litterature i have read.
On the other hand, I invented concepts like determinism and relativism long before i read any philosophy, so a lot of my thinking must be genetical too.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 09:56:09