Obama's Inaugural Speech

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

xris

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:53 am
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
No idea where you are going with that.
Your location i was just musing..sorry..

MuseEvolution

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 09:49 am
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
History is made by those events which break the foundation of the conventional and dare to stand out in the passing sands of time.

This is such a moment. Regardless of what you would like to think about all of this, the fact that a black man was elected is historical. He is also a man who is taking this position in the worst of possible times.

This country has been built on prejudice, ignorance, and a undetered drive to consume everything in it's path. This signifies a change of thought and a change of direction for this political war machine we call The United States of America. It is true that we cannot know where this is going but it is also true that we can learn from history and try to predict.

Up to this point, he has been an amazing orator and has captured the peoples hearts which is obvious by the popularity of this election compared to past elections. At this point, he has the entire world watching and an entire nation hoping. He can't screw this up lest he be known as the worst leader ever. This will do nothing but reinstate the old "club" to perpetual power.

And for all of these reasons (outside of the color of Barak Obama's skin) do I acknowledge the historical significance of his election.

Giving special attention to his race and attributing more historical value to it based on his race is a racist act. It underscores the divide between black and white in America. Yes, I realize that a black man has been elected president (and contrary to some, I have always seen such an even as a foregone conclusion based on the more recent history of our nation). But electing a candidate because of his race (or her gender, or other superficial reason) is no good way to elect a president. The best and most qualified person for the job should be elected because they are the best and most qualified person for the job. Doing anything other than that is injust and only serves to strengthen the differences between the citizens of America.

No, I did not vote for McCain.

Icon

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 11:07 am
@MuseEvolution,
MuseEvolution wrote:
And for all of these reasons (outside of the color of Barak Obama's skin) do I acknowledge the historical significance of his election.

Giving special attention to his race and attributing more historical value to it based on his race is a racist act. It underscores the divide between black and white in America. Yes, I realize that a black man has been elected president (and contrary to some, I have always seen such an even as a foregone conclusion based on the more recent history of our nation). But electing a candidate because of his race (or her gender, or other superficial reason) is no good way to elect a president. The best and most qualified person for the job should be elected because they are the best and most qualified person for the job. Doing anything other than that is injust and only serves to strengthen the differences between the citizens of America.

No, I did not vote for McCain.

I completely agree. The color of his skin, as significant as it is in relation to our historical pattern of leaders, has nothing to do with his policy.

After today, I am impressed with his leadership abilities.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 07:47 pm
@Icon,
MuseEvolution wrote:

Giving special attention to his race and attributing more historical value to it based on his race is a racist act. It underscores the divide between black and white in America.

Recognizing the historical significance of the US electing an African-American President is not racist. Recognizing the historical significance underscores the extent to which we, as a nation, have overcome the divide between black and white in America.

MuseEvolution wrote:
Yes, I realize that a black man has been elected president (and contrary to some, I have always seen such an even as a foregone conclusion based on the more recent history of our nation). But electing a candidate because of his race (or her gender, or other superficial reason) is no good way to elect a president. The best and most qualified person for the job should be elected because they are the best and most qualified person for the job. Doing anything other than that is injust and only serves to strengthen the differences between the citizens of America.

I agree that we should elect leaders based on their qualifications. But that is exactly the point: Obama was not elected because he is an African-American; Obama was elected because the voting population believed him to be the most qualified candidate for the job. That's the historical significance; we, as a nation, have transcended racial hatred to such an extent that we, as a nation, can recognize a qualified African-American candidate and elect him to office.

xris

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:38 am
@Didymos Thomas,
I think America has come of age..It has given an example to us all. He has started of so well,closing those hell holes in Cuba,ending gifts from lobbyists to politicians, the release of charities funds for those who advocate birth control.research into stem cells.Well done..

kennethamy

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 10:17 am
@Icon,
our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

I certainly hope that Obama does not believe this drivel. If he does we are in deep trouble. (But I suspect that he may. Imagine if Israel thought this had any chance of being true!)

Fido

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 10:45 am
@Icon,
Beam me up Scotty...No intelligence in Obamaland...The law is a form of relationship, like race, or patriotism... One anyone has been trained to think through that form they will not be able to think outside of it...That is the problem with the man; that having mastered one form, he is trapped by it...He is not the master of it; but it is the master of him... Our problem is this: Everything immoral that has been done in this land ahs been done with the support of law... As much as we notice when some one does something purely illegal, maybe 99% it was legal and the result is still our poverty and destruction... So the law, because it is not just is not law, but only a formality... That is the world Mr. Obama lives in, of trying to make forms which have long ago lost their value to work... That is the problem, that the form, the united state, our form of law, our form of economy, our form of religion, and many other forms of relationship do not work; and his presidency is the pooint where the futility of this people is coming face to face with the impossibility of changing any form from the inside, or even of seeing the necessity of change from the inside...

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 10:44:59