Is there an alien in the house?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Is there an alien in the house?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:34 pm
If say intra-terrestrials existed, do you think they'd frequent forums like this one?

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:36 pm
@Pusyphus,
No: they would not be able to reach Earth.

Pusyphus

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:39 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
But, but, but...what if they were already here? :cool:

Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:44 pm
@Pusyphus,
Once again, this is a conundrum to the mind, that's how the silly thought fuels itself. No way to disprove it or prove it, and often enough the brain's pathetic attempt at resolving the conundrum is the idea of causing the conceptualization to be ultimate or divine in some way.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:45 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Hypothetically? I mean, if aliens had a reason to visit Earth, and the means to do so, and if they did, would they venture onto such a forum? Beats me - I can't imagine what would motivate them to come to our rock in the first place; however, it is possible to imagine that aliens might visit a forum such as this depending upon their motivations for coming.

Pusyphus

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:49 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
Once again, this is a conundrum to the mind, that's how the silly thought fuels itself. No way to disprove it or prove it, and often enough the brain's pathetic attempt at resolving the conundrum is the idea of causing the conceptualization to be ultimate or divine in some way.

Aw, come on. You think people make that stuff up?

Cool photo, by the way. What is the significance of April 1, 2031?

Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 10:06 pm
@Pusyphus,
No significance I suppose.

And yes I think people make these things up or do not realize what is real in the objective sense and what is not.

Corksil

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 11:55 pm
@Pusyphus,
Hmmm yes aliens, I do believe they are here, and I do believe they have infiltrated the forum. I am one Wink

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 08:55 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
I can't imagine what would motivate them to come to our rock in the first place

Build an intergalactic highway?

xris

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 09:26 am
@Theaetetus,
Yurghy yurghy... I come in peace..yurghy yurghy..

Pusyphus

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 11:38 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
No significance I suppose.

And yes I think people make these things up or do not realize what is real in the objective sense and what is not.

Here's some food for thought. Now don't take this personally Holi, because you represent many people...

You seem vehement, almost as if you know. You have to admit though, that you do not know that they are not here. You could not know. But, whether you know or not, you make an error in logic regarding reports of strange things:

If most people are aware that there are intelligent people like you out there, all over the place, having no qualms with ridiculing any and all persons who dare to report the strange things they have seen, then you would have to concede that the motive of their reportings obviously would not be to get ridiculed. The rest of this argument becomes pretty simple. If you now want to claim that the millions of people who have sworn to what they have witnessed are all crazy, then by definition...you would be the crazy one.

Pusyphus

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 11:41 am
@Corksil,
Corksil wrote:
Hmmm yes aliens, I do believe they are here, and I do believe they have infiltrated the forum. I am one Wink

:a-ok: ...wasn't that difficult, was it?

Welome!

And to what planet do we owe the honor?

Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 10:41 pm
@Pusyphus,
Pusyphus wrote:
The rest of this argument becomes pretty simple.

Well it's simple to begin with.

1. Infalsifiability; almost like its a paradox that the mind equates to being ok.
  2. Existence is a mind game, whether it be you, me, or someone else. Such is the case that since the actuality, not reality-existence, isn't pertinent, the whole conceptualization of aliens is merely a state of mind.

xris

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 04:10 am
@Holiday20310401,
The description of these aliens by the followers of this cult makes them unlikely to show their face as they are four feet tall with strange elongated heads, they dont talk they are telepathic.Can you imagine one of these aliens who have not even bothered to knock switching on his pc and actually debating with us..Oh ive just seen Peter Pan fly past my window..

MITech

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 06:16 pm
@xris,
There are aliens!

Pusyphus

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 10:05 am
@Pusyphus,
I thought so.

So, what's the word on the street?

Are there different kinds?

sarek

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 01:01 pm
@Pusyphus,
Is there not a better way to approach this:

What would you do. Given the technology humanity would most certainly go out and explore other worlds.
Once we arrive there, what would we be interested in. Technology, biology. Or the thoughts and opinions of the inhabitants?

Krumple

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 01:07 pm
@Pusyphus,
I think there would be some strong resistance from theists when confronting alien life. If they were intelligent or humanoid I bet they would call them daemons and push for destroying them. If they were less than intelligent or less than humanoid they will probably just stomp on it all and call it lack of life.

In all fairness, it's possible for other life out there, seems to me to be a huge waste of space to have it all concentrated on one little tiny speck of dust. Are they intelligent? Maybe there were some, perhaps they have fallen victim to their own technological advances or religious implosion. Are they visiting earth, I really doubt it and for their sake I really hope not.

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 02:49 pm
@xris,
GAH! A Yurghistani! I must report to The Big Giant Head!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Is there an alien in the house?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 02:33:49