The Universe and the Brain Cell

  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The Universe and the Brain Cell

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 04:14 pm
Thought this was pretty neat, its a picture of a neuron and a modern simulation of what the universe may look like. What I find fascinating about it is, in the universe picture, a small fraction of one of the many yellow dots are super clusters with thousands of galaxies and within each of those galaxies are trillions of stars. Of those trillions of stars are 150 billion stars just like our sun. Just when you thought you were just a small spec in the universe, right?

I don't know what to make of the comparison between a brain cell and the universe though, but still it's pretty interesting to think of it like that.

http://i33.tinypic.com/154vewh.jpg

But then again, Slovienia does look like a running chicken.

http://i33.tinypic.com/2gvvmkz.jpg
 
paulhanke
 
Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 07:56 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon wrote:
I don't know what to make of the comparison between a brain cell and the universe though ...


... that our universe is but one minuscule speck in someone's imagination? Wink ... awesome post! - love the chicken!!!
 
lakeshoredrive
 
Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 10:15 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
Wow, that's so great! I'm in quite a good mood now. That really made my night, thank you.
 
Icon
 
Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 02:31 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
I saw this the other day and it made me think of the Rorschach test.
 
VideCorSpoon
 
Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 03:52 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
funny you say that, it really does. Freud would say, I see my mother. LOL! Both are in no way the same thing, yet the similarity is drawn. But I have to admit that, based on the picture, the two look nearly identical. But for all we know this could be a closeup on a specific part of a neuron or what not. But then again we could say the same thing for the image of the universe.

But how mind blowing would that be if the universe were a neuron in the mind of Zeus or whoever or a collective monad reflecting the world most accurately. Come to think of it, this picture in a way supports Leibniz and his theory that the universe is a collective aggregation of monads. Think about it, the dominant monad (in this case the universe) reflects the world most accurately (the brain cell) which has been the subject of debate between Rationalist, empiricist, and the rest of the lot for hundreds if not thousands of years.
 
schloopfeng
 
Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 04:53 am
@VideCorSpoon,
Wow thats fantastic, it all bolsters a theory i carried around in my youth that our solar system was some kind of atom which was part of something organic & that we are cancer slowly taking over & also that people got cancer because the micro universes inside them were being consumed by a kind of echo of what we are, so here i can now ponder that we are the beginnings of a brain tumour and will eventually kill our host, not a bad theory really if you consider that if we actually managed to improve our existance to the point of limited impact on the environment, most of the causes of cancer would have been eliminated and we would have actually prolonged the life of our host as well as ourselves, still it's probably flawed somewhere, after all who knows what i was smoking when that sprang to mind, whatever it was it probably was'nt healthy.
Sorry host if you can hear me.
TTFN.
 
xris
 
Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 05:58 am
@schloopfeng,
neuron not even a neuron oh dear me..It makes you think what is relative to what in the great scheme of things..Thoughts are probable the most important things in the universe they are never too small or too large..they can be relative to any imagined size.I feel less insignificant after that thought..
 
Icon
 
Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 07:40 am
@VideCorSpoon,
I have to wonder though.... How did they manage to build this image? It is purely hypothetical because no device we have created has been able to travel far enough to even manage a glimpse of the smallest whole fraction of the universe.
 
xris
 
Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 08:28 am
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
I have to wonder though.... How did they manage to build this image? It is purely hypothetical because no device we have created has been able to travel far enough to even manage a glimpse of the smallest whole fraction of the universe.
Dont spoil the illusion..
 
Icon
 
Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 08:53 am
@VideCorSpoon,
Sorry.... LOOK EVERYONE! IT'S AN ACTUAL PICTURE OF THE UNIVERSE!! WHOO HOO



Better? :p
 
xris
 
Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 09:03 am
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
Sorry.... LOOK EVERYONE! IT'S AN ACTUAL PICTURE OF THE UNIVERSE!! WHOO HOO



Better? :p
Thank you Santa..you can have a mince pie now..
 
manored
 
Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 09:42 am
@VideCorSpoon,
The universe looks kinda flat that way... arent there images of the same simulated image from the sides? Smile

Not that I have anything against living in an almost-dishy but filled with holes cluster of exploding balls of hydrogen, but living in an almost-bally but filled with holes cluster of exploding balls of hydrogen would mean more things close by Smile

As for our universe being an atom/molecule/whatever of a bigger one, I think its possible but we know too little about it to give a decent base to such a teory... maybe someday Smile

This net shape seens a bit fishy for me... I mean, if the Big Bang was a exploding singularity it seens for me that the most likely outcome for the universe would be a uniform sphere whose density increases as you aproach the center.
 
xris
 
Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 09:49 am
@manored,
manored wrote:
The universe looks kinda flat that way... arent there images of the same simulated image from the sides? Smile

Not that I have anything against living in an almost-dishy but filled with holes cluster of exploding balls of hydrogen, but living in an almost-bally but filled with holes cluster of exploding balls of hydrogen would mean more things close by Smile

As for our universe being an atom/molecule/whatever of a bigger one, I think its possible but we know too little about it to give a decent base to such a teory... maybe someday Smile

This net shape seens a bit fishy for me... I mean, if the Big Bang was a exploding singularity it seens for me that the most likely outcome for the universe would be a uniform sphere whose density increases as you aproach the center.
Your the guy who told me my english was crap...well well:perplexed:
 
paulhanke
 
Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 10:03 am
@manored,
manored wrote:
This net shape seens a bit fishy for me... I mean, if the Big Bang was a exploding singularity it seens for me that the most likely outcome for the universe would be a uniform sphere whose density increases as you aproach the center.


... theoretical physics had a time with that, as well ... eventually, the discovery of the cosmic background radiation (the echo of the big bang) showed minute non-uniformities, which over 14 or so billion years become amplified by gravity into galactic clusters, galaxies, stars, planets, etc. ...
 
manored
 
Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 05:17 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... theoretical physics had a time with that, as well ... eventually, the discovery of the cosmic background radiation (the echo of the big bang) showed minute non-uniformities, which over 14 or so billion years become amplified by gravity into galactic clusters, galaxies, stars, planets, etc. ...
But for the Big Bang to be imperfect wouldnt it need to occup more than a single unit of space, what would make it not really be a singularity?

xris wrote:
Your the guy who told me my english was crap...well well:perplexed:
Yep, and it is Smile
 
xris
 
Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 04:10 am
@manored,
manored wrote:
But for the Big Bang to be imperfect wouldnt it need to occup more than a single unit of space, what would make it not really be a singularity?

Yep, and it is Smile
and yours is so fine..:rolleyes:
 
schloopfeng
 
Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 04:36 am
@VideCorSpoon,
oh no ....i've had it in here ..... i learnt my english from the chavs in yahoo Razz
 
William
 
Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 02:00 pm
@schloopfeng,
schloopfeng wrote:
Wow thats fantastic, it all bolsters a theory i carried around in my youth that our solar system was some kind of atom which was part of something organic & that we are cancer slowly taking over & also that people got cancer because the micro universes inside them were being consumed by a kind of echo of what we are, so here i can now ponder that we are the beginnings of a brain tumour and will eventually kill our host, not a bad theory really if you consider that if we actually managed to improve our existance to the point of limited impact on the environment, most of the causes of cancer would have been eliminated and we would have actually prolonged the life of our host as well as ourselves, still it's probably flawed somewhere, after all who knows what i was smoking when that sprang to mind, whatever it was it probably was'nt healthy.
Sorry host if you can hear me.
TTFN.


Interesting post. I think you might have it just a little backward a bit. I don't think we could possibly do any harm to the host in that before we cause too much malignancy, He'll just scratch us away. IMO, you are more on track than you think you are. :a-ok:

William
 
Icon
 
Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 02:10 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
So... Binge drinking kills universes. Awesome.
 
paulhanke
 
Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 03:59 pm
@manored,
manored wrote:
But for the Big Bang to be imperfect wouldnt it need to occup more than a single unit of space, what would make it not really be a singularity?


... actually, according to some theories the singularity occupied zero space and zero time ... that is, space and time as we know it did not exist until our universe burst forth from the singularity ... not that the following has any theoretical validity, but ask yourself - why would a perfectly good singularity disintegrate and start spewing universe(s)? ... a momentary instability perhaps? - a nonuniformity? ...
 
 

 
  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The Universe and the Brain Cell
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 10/19/2020 at 09:45:41