Do you believe in Santa Claus?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Do you believe in Santa Claus?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 04:56 am
I don't believe in Santa Claus. I find it irrational that a man wants to live on the north pole, make toys and then just deliver it to all the kids in the world. I don't believe in flying reindeers either. I have no empirical evidence that this crazy old man exists, cos the only Santa Clauses I've seen are men in costumes. After all, I've only heard of him through other people, and I've also heard that the Santa Claus we know today was invented by Thomas Nast, and had it's origin in the stories about St. Nicholas.

This may sound like a really bad chistmas joke to many of you, but now im coming to the point of this thread.

"I don't believe in God. I find it irrational that a higher intelligence has made this world out of nothing. After all, I've only heard of him through the people around me, and i have no empirical evidence that he exists. To add this superior intelligence on top of the entire creation and call him the truth is just postponing the problem. Now we have to ruminate upon the question how God came to be. "
This is what an atheist probably would say, but I'm not an atheist.
We don't know who eventually invented God, that's the big difference between God and Santa Claus. We have no evidence that God doesn't exist. That gives me no reason to believe in god, and no reason to deny him.

That's why I'm an agnostic.

Joe

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 06:26 am
@Henrik phil,
The way I look at god is that, I probably know nothing about how or why he exists. Im pretty sure of my "feelings" about god, and so I take no quams on others "feelings". Cause at this point in history, I see know way of explaining such an existence. All I can say is that false information can corrupt our understanding of such things. Aka, current science and philosophy. We are still taking baby steps.

http://i36.tinypic.com/2edp9ms.jpg

This was St. Nicholas's companion, Black Pete, who either gave presents or, if the children had misbehaved, whipped them and dragged them to hell. He was the one who came down the chimney, so he could be close to the fire and so he could more easily travel to the hellish flames that spawned him.

Holiday20310401

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 07:03 pm
@Joe,
And why do they think Santa likes children. I mean, he picks the lamest job for that, he's huddled all the way up in the north pole where no kids are around. I mean... what a jerk. And then you wonder why its only western society where Santa seems to visit. I mean... we're spoiled enough, can't he find the right priority.

Seriously though, ofcourse Santa isn't real.

lakeshoredrive

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 07:19 pm
@Henrik phil,
I believe in Santa Claus Smile

Aedes

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 08:32 pm
@Henrik phil,
Henrik;37748 wrote:
I don't believe in God....

That's why I'm an agnostic.

No, you're an atheist. Agnostic means you do not know if God exists. Atheist means you do not believe in God.

You are presenting a sort of extreme dichotomy here between a belief nearly universally held by western theists (i.e. God exists) versus a cultural tradition that is mostly held as allegorical by adult western theists (i.e. Santa Claus...)

But it raises an important point -- as soon as you give God, or give religion a SINGLE specific attribute, there will be disagreement. If you call god omnipotent, people will disagree about what that means. If you call god good people will disagree with what that means...

And as you add different traditions, different perspectives, and a billion different variables, you'll find that no two people believe the same thing.

Which begs the question of how we ever can know what is when there is no external measure.

jgweed

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 09:15 am
@Henrik phil,
Priests:Parents::God:SantaClause

manored

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 09:17 am
@Henrik phil,
What "is" what? real you mean?

I think we have to use the internal measure then, that is, we decide what exists and what doesnt... now, we will just have to be very complacent towards others to avoid some unecessary violence Smile

Holiday20310401

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 10:33 am
@manored,
Only philosophical chit-chat could turn something as silly as Santa Claus into a serious thought experiment.

Aedes

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 12:03 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;37940 wrote:
Only philosophical chit-chat could turn something as silly as Santa Claus into a serious thought experiment.
Just the other end of the spectrum from God, though. I mean there are intermediate steps -- what about the historical Saint Nicholas? What about sainthood in general -- is it literal, is it allegorical?

It's just picking an extreme example to make a good case that it's arbitrary where certain traditions evolve to be legendary rather than holy.

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 12:39 pm
@lakeshoredrive,
lakeshoredrive wrote:
I believe in Santa Claus Smile

So do I! What is all this crazy talk?

lakeshoredrive

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 01:29 pm
@avatar6v7,
So do I! What is all this crazy talk?

I'm not sure. To me, Santa Claus is a personification of Christmastime.

manored

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 01:43 pm
@Henrik phil,
Santa Claus is a marketing figure invented by Coca-Cola and adopted by pretty much any industry that sells stuff that can be given as presents in the hopes of increasing their sales and by the movie/cartoon industry as a theme. Happy? Smile

lakeshoredrive

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 01:59 pm
@manored,
manored wrote:
Santa Claus is a marketing figure invented by Coca-Cola and adopted by pretty much any industry that sells stuff that can be given as presents in the hopes of increasing their sales and by the movie/cartoon industry as a theme. Happy? Smile

Absolutely not! Coca-Cola was not created until 1886. Here is a drawing by the American cartoonist Thomas Nast from 1881:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/MerryOldSanta.jpg

Nast created the popular image of Santa Claus that we know today.
Not to mention, the poem "A Visit from St. Nicholas", better known to most as "'Twas the Night Before Christmas," was first published in New York in 1823.

manored

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 03:40 pm
@lakeshoredrive,
But the current personification is from Coca-Cola, he was green before then Smile

Well, actually not sure if he was green before, but he wasnt like he is now.

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 05:00 pm
@manored,
manored wrote:
But the current personification is from Coca-Cola, he was green before then Smile

Well, actually not sure if he was green before, but he wasnt like he is now.

As christmas has become more comericialsied, so has its anthropamorphic representation

Poseidon

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 05:20 pm
@Henrik phil,
I don't believe in Santa.
I used to,
and I hope to believe in him at some point in the future.

By this I am pointing to the way that Santa has become less about giving, and more about expecting to recieve. Its become a commerical enterprise with guilt as the overiding emotion. Did you get what you wanted? Were others disappointed with your gift? How much did it cost? Is it better than what someone else got?

If gifts were given privately they would have more meaning.

Its also easy for rich people to buy stuff and give it out. And yet when it comes to giving time and effort, they turn and run away. On an emotional level, people are very stingy, whilst thinking that material goods can compensate for compassion, emotional support, and genuine unity of spirit.

I am thinking here of the broken families, where the child would rather just have a decent bit of quality time with their distant family member on a regular basis, rather than a big cold expensive gift once per year as the norms of tradition and guilt dictate.

manored

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 05:43 pm
@Henrik phil,
This is why I dont like culture: People are pressured to do things that they oftenly dont know the reason for or dont agree with.

Henrik phil

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 02:21 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
No, you're an atheist. Agnostic means you do not know if God exists. Atheist means you do not believe in God.

If you had paid my post a closer look, you would have seen the quotation marks. I dind'n say that i don't believe in God, i said that an atheist would say so. I don't feel that I can draw any conclusion about god's existance. When I'm talking about God, i don't say that there is no God, I say "If there is a God" Isn't that defined as agnostic? Thats what I thought.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Do you believe in Santa Claus?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:28:33