Tattoos

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Icon

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 12:12 pm
Quite simply, I want to see how many people here have tattoos and I would love to hear the story behind them, if there is one. I am trying to get pictures of all of mine right now. Once I have those, I will posts some stories of my own.

Currently I have 8 tattoos and I am working on several more. I don't normally show these off as I believe tattoos are for me and for no one else. They are all hidden and most of my friends don't even know I have them. Each one of them has a purpose attached to it. I use them as daily reminders of where I've been and where I am going. I design all of my own and look forward to sharing them with you.

Please, share yours with us as well.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:41 pm
@Icon,
None yet. They get expensive, especially when done by a decent artist. Too many people get their's cheap on spring break, that sort of thing. A waste of flesh space if you ask me. I've had more important uses for two and three hundred dollars so far, but eventually I'll get started. I have a few different designs in mind, but I haven't yet settled on anything for sure.

Icon

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:46 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
None yet. They get expensive, especially when done by a decent artist. Too many people get their's cheap on spring break, that sort of thing. A waste of flesh space if you ask me. I've had more important uses for two and three hundred dollars so far, but eventually I'll get started. I have a few different designs in mind, but I haven't yet settled on anything for sure.

I know exactly what you mean. I was lucky in finding the artist that I have. He was the premier artist in town for the longest time until his recent retirement. He would charge $100-$150 and hour for most people. It seems though, that he like my designs so much that I always seemed to get a rediculous discount. A 5 hour session on my right arm cost me $150.

I ended up tipping him an extra $100 because his work is incredible.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:55 pm
@Icon,
Very nice on the discount. I look forward to seeing some of your ink; sounds like your designs are great.

Icon

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 12:54 pm
@Icon,
Well I have uploaded a few picture that I have of them. Some of the pics are old and some are older but they show some of my designs pretty well

http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/members/icon/albums/tattoos/

The stories are under each. I will elaborate if requested. Sorry the pics are bad... Camera phone.

teacup

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 06:59 pm
@Icon,
i have one small tattoo on my foot. it's a trinity knot. my sister, mom and i all got some sort of variation of the knot. so for one, it reminds me of my connection to the females in my family.

it's strongest meaning has to do with the power of three. i feel like this number has some sort of significance in the universe. many things come in three. mind, body soul. past, present, future. left, right, middle. sperm, egg, offspring. (father, son, holy spirit- but im not a traditional theist). heaven, hell, earth. there some sort of balance with three. everything is on a spectrum with two opposites and a middle.

Icon

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 09:01 am
@Icon,
Awesome. You're right about the balance of three. I would relate it to a scale of lever. There is the balance of either side and the fulcrum. You can't have a scale with only two sides for weights. you must have something stable in the center. Something which can support the weight of both sides. I saw the picture in your profile. It looks nice.

hue-man

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 05:53 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
Quite simply, I want to see how many people here have tattoos and I would love to hear the story behind them, if there is one. I am trying to get pictures of all of mine right now. Once I have those, I will posts some stories of my own.

Currently I have 8 tattoos and I am working on several more. I don't normally show these off as I believe tattoos are for me and for no one else. They are all hidden and most of my friends don't even know I have them. Each one of them has a purpose attached to it. I use them as daily reminders of where I've been and where I am going. I design all of my own and look forward to sharing them with you.

Please, share yours with us as well.

I have one tattoo. It's a crawling panther on my right forearm.

I got it when I was 18 because I thought it looked cool - lol. I walked into the parlor, saw it, and had it done on the spot. I later found out that it usually symbolizes self-guidance and fortitude.

GoshisDead

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 07:35 pm
@hue-man,
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1433/1470841875_08d56980db.jpg?v=0Person, People (as in a cohesive culture), body, soul, spirit, and breath

Icon

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 08:25 am
@Icon,
Nice. I just got number 12. Just 12 more to go before I am done.

xris

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 01:19 pm
@Icon,
Remember folks they are fleeting fashions and today's Gothic triple nyad is tomorrows skull and cross bones.HATE them or LOVE them its handy to remember this.Sensible ol me giving advice ha ha..

Icon

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 01:46 pm
@Icon,
I don't have typical tattoos and I draw all of my own. When thinking about skin and tattoos is the only time I can actually draw so it is like showing off my art work.... on my body.

xris

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 01:56 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
I don't have typical tattoos and I draw all of my own. When thinking about skin and tattoos is the only time I can actually draw so it is like showing off my art work.... on my body.
My son has a few unusual tattoos , ive just met a guy who publishes books on tattoos after twenty years of being a tattooists. He tells me there is more money in publishing than actually doing the tattoos.Ive never been tempted, like my mates. In my days it was all army tattoos , parachute wings and Pegasus..my friends have all faded with their owners.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 08:24:06