Fear of the unknown?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

manored

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 09:23 am
@avatar6v7,
Occam was a fool. We should choose the most complex answer.

Fear is a fundamental part of us, but it is not the only part. It can control us if we allow it.
We can complicate things towards infinity, but we cannot simplify then with such ease.

Fear cannot be split from "us". You cannot change that wich you have no basis to change: you cant change your mind because your mind is what you would use to change your mind.

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 09:27 am
@manored,
manored wrote:
We can complicate things towards infinity, but we cannot simplify then with such ease.

Fear cannot be split from "us". You cannot change that wich you have no basis to change: you cant change your mind because your mind is what you would use to change your mind.

We will always live with fear, but it another question as to whether we will be dominated by it. As to complexity, the universe is complex, so requires, if there is one comprehensible to humans, a complex explanation.

manored

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 11:00 am
@pqzod,
I do not understand what you mean by "be dominated by it".

As our understandement of something grows it becomes simpler in our eyes. As far as I know complex is something that we are not yet capable of understanding.

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 11:09 am
@manored,
manored wrote:
I do not understand what you mean by "be dominated by it".

As our understandement of something grows it becomes simpler in our eyes. As far as I know complex is something that we are not yet capable of understanding.

To act against our own intrests, against morality, against reason because of fear.

manored

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 01:16 pm
@avatar6v7,
We act in favor or morality and reason because of fear of what will happen if we dont. If you are talking subjectively then I must comment there is no certain point to draw the line of whenever we are dominated by fear or not.

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 08:54 am
@manored,
manored wrote:
We act in favor or morality and reason because of fear of what will happen if we dont. If you are talking subjectively then I must comment there is no certain point to draw the line of whenever we are dominated by fear or not.

I don't act morally because of fear. I have been kind and polite to people, even if they pose no threat to me, and when there has been no forseeable benefit to myself. We do good because it is good. It is self justifying.

manored

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 04:33 pm
@avatar6v7,
I don't act morally because of fear. I have been kind and polite to people, even if they pose no threat to me, and when there has been no forseeable benefit to myself. We do good because it is good. It is self justifying.
You are kind and polite even to people that are no threat and winhout forseeable benefit because you are afraid of hurting then. Caring for other people beside yourself doesnt means fear is not involved at some level.

Khethil

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 08:10 am
@manored,
manored wrote:
You are kind and polite even to people that are no threat and winhout forseeable benefit because you are afraid of hurting then. Caring for other people beside yourself doesnt means fear is not involved at some level.

... or even out of the fear of being alone; the need for others and the loss that represents.

Ugh... not sure I like that

manored

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 09:58 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
... or even out of the fear of being alone; the need for others and the loss that represents.

Ugh... not sure I like that
Well the result is the same whatever be the way you look at it, no need for grief Smile

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 11:38 am
@manored,
manored wrote:

That is simply redefining the term afraid to mean somthing other than fear. I might for instance say 'I am afraid to say that...' but only mean it as a figure of speech. If you want to call all human motivation fear, that does not change what human motivation means, it changes what fear means.

manored

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 07:49 pm
@avatar6v7,
That is simply redefining the term afraid to mean somthing other than fear. I might for instance say 'I am afraid to say that...' but only mean it as a figure of speech. If you want to call all human motivation fear, that does not change what human motivation means, it changes what fear means.
Oh, I think we had another of those long discussions that end up reveling different notions of the meaning of words. As far as I know fear means something like "avoiding doing something due to the consequences", what means it is not being changed, but rather already means it.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 10:38:08