Hey everyone

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

skogrim

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 10:54 pm
Hello everyone,

Nice to find a philosophy forum. I have a couple questions..

1. I am very interested in philosophy, and would like to major in it. What are the best (and most plausible) careers to come out of a philosophy major?

2. What are the best books to start off with in philosophy? Something general, fairly simple and educating for a beginner.

Thank you.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 11:34 pm
@skogrim,
Welcome to the forum.

Philosophy majors have a great many options. Honestly, you can do anything with it - I've known an art history major who ran a half billion dollar engine center, I'm sure if he'd gone with philosophy, he would have been equally as qualified. However, teaching is probably the most likely path. Depending on your faith, you might even consider ministry. The best thing to do is ask yourself two questions: 1. What would I like to study in school? 2. How would I like to make a living after college? and in the second question, disregard your answer to the first.

As for reading material, I recommend Bertrand Russell's "The Problems of Philosophy". This will introduce several significant questions in philosophy. After that, read some classics. Plato's Republic, the Apology, Crito, Euthyphro. Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics is also good. Finding a nice history of philosophy set wouldn't be a bad idea. Check out used book stores, you can find wonderful deals if you look around. I've even picked up used text books; books from the 50's and 60's. These books will do just as well covering philosophy until their time as well as any modern text book, and honestly, very little has changed.

skogrim

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 11:41 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Thank you very much Didy. I will make sure to pick up that book. I've heard that it can lead to many careers. A teacher sounds alright. But I am an atheist, so minister wouldn't work. In reply to those 2 questions..

1. I would like to major in philosophy. But I'm also interested in English and theology.

2. Just a comfortable one. Not too little that I'm struggling for money..but certainly not bathing in money rich.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 12:07 am
@skogrim,
In a few years I will be teaching history to a room full of teenagers.

As for the questions, I didn't want an answer, you want an answer. Smile None the less, major in philosophy and take english and theology classes as your electives. At some schools, the philosophy and theology departments are combined. To the second question, I mean, what do you want to do, not how much money do you want to have. Take time to answer this; consider everything. Every interest you have, and every concern. And in the mean time, go to school, study hard. One day you'll graduate and if you still don't have an answer to the second question, at least you'll have a degree. You wont starve.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 08:47:05