What are you reading?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » What are you reading?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 09:40 pm
Hello, I imagine everyone has lives not entirely concerned with technical philosophy, but I just thought I'd ask if anyone happens to be reading something in the philo department at this time. If so, what, and where is it taking you?

Holiday20310401

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 09:44 pm
@zefloid13,
I have yet to read a philosophy book, something on my to do list. Laughing

I am reading symposium the next long weekend I get, I share where this takes me.

jgweed

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 10:12 pm
@zefloid13,
I am currently working through two books:Heidegger's What is Called Thinking? and Schultz's The Structures of the Life World.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 10:40 pm
@jgweed,
I just got this new companion reader series through amazon called the "A guide for the perplexed" series. Haven't picked it up in a while, but I want to read over certain sections of Spinoza's Ethics. There is a really good section in the perplexed Spinoza book on substantial ontology. It is a very good companion reader to help you connect the dots if you don't have a professor on your case. From what I have seen so far, I'm glad I bought the books they have out already. They also have Aristotle, Leibniz, etc.

zefloid13

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 11:09 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
It's funny you bring up Spinoza's Ethics, VideCorSpoon; I happen to be juggling it myself at this time. Not to mention, when I read the phrase "guide for the perplexed," I initially thought you were referring to the medieval work of Moses Maimonides.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 11:24 pm
@zefloid13,
Reading for school, mostly. Raboteau's Slave Religion, Kafka's Metamorphosis, and Moody's Coming of Age in Mississippi at the moment.

validity

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 01:30 am
@zefloid13,
The Philosophy of Space and Time by Hans Reichenbach, I read this about once every 6 months as it is so easy to understand and yet deeply profound. The bit I am up to at the moment shows that geometry is relative ie the geometrical form of a body is not an absolute fact, but depends on a co-ordinative definition. I am hoping this will deepen my understanding of Relational Theory.

The only other philosophy book in my pile of "books to read on the train this month" is Bioethics by Gareth Jones. I have never really read much on Bioethics and I thought it is about time I did. I got this book in the hope to understand the question "When does life begin?" and what happens when you know such an answer.

Khethil

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 06:00 am
@validity,
I try to vary my reading a lot; and since retirement have been keeping up 3 to not burn out on any one genre. I'm currently working on Maggie Jackson's "Distracted", Chaucer's "Troilis and Cressida" and Dostoevsky's "The Idiot".

VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 09:28 am
@Khethil,
Zefloid13,

Actually, if I'm not mistaken the company that makes the series have a guide for the perplexed book on Maimonides.

If your reading Ethics, for school or for enjoyment, I would seriously recommend the "guide for the perplexed" book. Spinoza is immensely more pleasurable to read with a companion reader. And companion readers can be very bad and actually make the situation worse. I remember reading "Roadmap to Metaphysics Zeta" and it was so vague and ambiguous that the only useful section was a summation of the sub-books in the introduction. But my first exposure to Ethics was in an undergraduate class I had and I did not come by nearly as many points as they had. After I had posted my message last night I read a little of the first part of the book. The books proof of a substantial God is way more complex than the way I was taught in school. The culmination in proposition 14 is tied into 11 which is dependent on definitions 5, 7, etc. They even give a better explanation of the reductio argument in 11.

Deftil

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 02:42 am
@zefloid13,
Still working on a book I checked out about a month ago called Philosophy of recent times Volume II: Readings in twentieth-century philosophy, edited by James B. Hartman. Contains selections from the writings of William James, Henri Bergson, V.I. Lenin, Edmund Husserl, W.P. Montague, George Santayana, John Dewey, Alfred North Whitehead, G.E. Moore, Bertrand Russell, Rudolf Carnap, Moritz Schlick, A.J. Ayer, Karl Jaspers, Martin Heidegger, Jean-Paul Sartre, P.F. Strawson, John Wisdom, Gilbert Ryle, and J.L. Austin.

It's quite good and a nice survey of philosophy from different philosophers on a variety of subjects, obviously all written in the 20th century. I'm about 320 pages into it, and it's about 540 pages long.

jgweed

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 08:59 am
@zefloid13,
Seems like all the major philosophers have been included, except some of the post-modernists. One could spend a lifetime just reading the works of those listed. Philosophia longa, vita breve, as it were. Of those you have read so far, Deftil, do you have any favourites that you intend to read further?

MJA

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 10:45 am
@jgweed,
I'm reading The Ethics of Spinoza, The Bhagavad-Gita, Descartes Bones, and Decartes. I look for others who think like me. They do.
Einstein, Gandhi, Jefferson, King Jr. Socrates and Buddha are close to me too.

=
MJA

Deftil

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 10:31 am
@jgweed,
jgweed;33493 wrote:
Seems like all the major philosophers have been included, except some of the post-modernists. One could spend a lifetime just reading the works of those listed. Philosophia longa, vita breve, as it were. Of those you have read so far, Deftil, do you have any favourites that you intend to read further?

One thing I should have noted was that this book was published in 1967 which pretty much explains the lack of post-modernists. As another note, the part by Strawson is about Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations.

Out of what I've read so far, I'd have to say I have been most intrigued by Santayana. He had an interesting perspective that I've found to be deep, logically sound, and somewhat unique. It seems he takes into account that we are evolved creatures and the impact that has on our beliefs. I found it enlightening.

Most of the other stuff I've read in this book so far, I've been disappointed by. I don't know if it's the translation, the original writing, or simply the subject matter itself, but all the Husserl I read meant absolutely nothing to me. I had no idea what was going on for that whole 40 pages.

I definitely didn't hate the Whitehead or the Dewey that I read. I suppose the Moore stuff was alright too, but I was struck by how much of an anti-philosopher he seemed to be. It's kind of surprising to me how important he became in philosophy.

jgweed

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 10:57 am
@zefloid13,
"...all the Husserl I read meant absolutely nothing to me. I had no idea what was going on for that whole 40 pages."

You were probably reading the easier part of his writings. I have the same experience with his writing, and think he is best understood second-hand.

Moore, as a representative of ordinary language philosophy (like Wittgenstein), does seem philosophically anti-philosophical, but not without some wit, and there are a lot of funny stories about some of his conversations.

I am glad you liked Santayana. Along with Whitehead, he seems the most "European" of American philosophers, but is often overlooked probably because he never wrote a magnum opus.

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 09:26 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Moody's Coming of Age in Mississippi at the moment.

I had to read this for a social history class a couple years ago. I had no inclination to read the book and waited until the last weekend before the test to pick it up. I ended up reading it from cover-to-cover in one sitting. Could have been one of the most inspiring days I have spent reading.

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 09:30 pm
@zefloid13,
I am currently reading Richard Moran's Authority and Estrangement for an epistemology class, the Metaphysics of Morals by Kant, and for fun Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 11:53 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
I had to read this for a social history class a couple years ago. I had no inclination to read the book and waited until the last weekend before the test to pick it up. I ended up reading it from cover-to-cover in one sitting. Could have been one of the most inspiring days I have spent reading.

Yeah, it's surprising what ends up being inspiring. I expected Moody's book to be good based on some claims of friends, but, for example, I wasn't excited about reading Thomas Mann even though I loved the story.

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:40 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Yeah, it's surprising what ends up being inspiring. I expected Moody's book to be good based on some claims of friends, but, for example, I wasn't excited about reading Thomas Mann even though I loved the story.

Even books that are horrible end up being inspiring. As much time as I wasted reading a few books by Ayn Rand, I learned a lot through rejecting much of the thinking through critical critique.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 11:51 am
@Theaetetus,
My experience of reading Rand has been very similar to your own. Still wish I'd never wasted the time, though...

BlueChicken

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 10:20 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Still finishing my studies I often have many books on the go for both class reading and for research papers and seminars. Given how late it is in the year, I will include both fiction and non-fiction to give a sense of how lost my mind truly is:

• This is Not a Pipe by Michel Foucault (second time through, parts still fail to make sense).
  • The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice (as sad as it sounds, this is required reading for me. A true statement about the current educational system.)
  • Let Us Now Praise Famous Men by James Agee and Walker Evans (as famous as this book is, and how much I love modernist literature, I cannot stand it).
  • The Wasteland by T.S. Eliot (reading this in comparison to a Canadian poet leads to so many re-reads).
  • Being and Nothingness by Jean-Paul Sartre (for how much I disagree with his system I can't believe I am reading this again... bad Kierkegaardian, bad!).
  • Phenomenology of the Spirit by G.W.F. Hegel (it is becoming more readable. The trick is to pick one or two things and focus on them throughout the text. Relational dialectics, seperate from Kojeve, is my focus this time!)

Those are the major ones. I always have secondary researching and readings that are endlessly on hold or are taking forever, but neither is worth mentioning unless you really want to know what I am doing at any given moment. I just wonder if it is sad that all of the above books are for philosophy(-ish) topics?

Also, no one seems to mind a chicken reading Hegel, but the Anne Rice brings everyone's glare.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » What are you reading?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 12:54:34