Obama or McCain?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Obama or McCain?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 08:12 am
THE QUESTION

The books are open people... place your bets. Who's going to win and by how much based on the electoral college vote? The one with the closest electoral college guess wins!

HOW TO MAKE A GOOD BET

For a sample of the current electoral collage predictions, here is an article by BBCnews.

BBC NEWS | Americas | US Elections 2008 | Who will win the electoral college?

THE NUMBERS

Here is a calculator of the 538 electoral college divisions between the states. Use this to help you figure out your numbers.

U. S. Electoral College

269 is the 50/50 point.

MY PREDICTION

Obama wins 276 - 262

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 09:01 am
@VideCorSpoon,
Obama 285 - McCain 253

However, I would not be at all surprised to see McCain take Ohio and win despite getting beaten soundly in the popular vote.

American politics FTW!

xris

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 09:17 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
I think the rest of the world has never been so interested...we expect, we hope...

Khethil

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 12:22 pm
@xris,
I hope anyone able to vote, actually does. Wife's in the shower, we're taking off here in about 45 minutes.

Justin

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 12:30 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
Is anyone voting for McCain? By the looks of this poll, it's looking grim. I already voted today so my duty as an American voter is fulfilled.

boagie

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 12:47 pm
@Justin,
Yo!!Smile

Obama all the way!! Of course I am a Canadian, but the whole world is watching this. If Maccain wins it will be tragic.

Icon

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 12:54 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
I don't vote. I don't see any reason to. My vote does not count as the Electoral College is appointed by the Senate and does not always go with the popular vote... Cited Example: Bush v. Gore

As soon as the nation ACTUALLY puts the choice in my hands an a citizen, I will vote.

Justin

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 12:56 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
I would have actually given McCain some consideration however, he was a Maverick up until he needed the support of the Bush administration. This shows me that he's a bit weak in the knees. It's obvious Bush had a 'Come to Jesus' talk with McCain as he was bucking their system. All of the sudden, McCain started to stand by and support Bush.

Whereas the true maverick is Obama. He set several good examples by not folding under political pressure in Chicago and was also a leader at Harvard. We do need change. The last thing this country needs is a president that wants to continue fighting. "We're Americans and we'll fight" - bullsht!

I think Obama will win the election by the people but I wonder if certain powers above the President will actually allow it. America is in for a rude awakening. Smile It's not like we haven't been asking for it. Smile

My only concern would be the unbalanced administration with a Democratic congress and a democratic president.

Justin

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 12:59 pm
@Icon,
Icon;31402 wrote:
I don't vote. I don't see any reason to. My vote does not count as the Electoral College is appointed by the Senate and does not always go with the popular vote... Cited Example: Bush v. Gore

As soon as the nation ACTUALLY puts the choice in my hands an a citizen, I will vote.

You do make a valid point. That's why Obama may not make it.

Icon

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 01:00 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
I completely agree! We need a Democratic President, a Republican Congress and a split Senate.

Or a green party Congress Razz Just kidding.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 02:20 pm
@Icon,
We need a Democratic President and a filibuster proof Democratic Senate. Remember, the next President will make at least two SCOTUS appointments. The bench is already conservative. We need those liberals.

Obama has this election locked up. It's going to be a landslide - McCain may not even break 200 electoral college votes.
Obama has a real chance of winning this thing 356-182, and at the very least he wins 311-227.

jgweed

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 02:57 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
What we NEED is a philosopher-king, not tweedle dee and tweedle dummer.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 02:59 pm
@jgweed,
Okay, Plato. Just remember, power corrupts. Even if you found such a king, at his death the realm would be plunged into depravity. How do you expect to maintain a line of philosopher kings in the long run, five hundred years from now? No, give me something of a democracy.

Icon

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 03:40 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
Long ago, this country was founded because men and women alike were tired of the tyranny of taxation without representation. These men and women were tired of being spat upon by a crown which cared less about them then the dogs at their feet. They fought, they died, and they freed us from a fate worse than death. Slavery to a crown which would use us as canon fodder before given us freedom.

Our original leaders were not rich, not powerful and not hungry for control. They were men from normal houses, men of honor, respect and virtue. These men stood against a kingdom alone for each one was a traitor to the crown and at risk of being hung by the neck until dead. They truly stuck their neck out for their desire for life, liberty and the persuit of happiness. Those men were elected by the people to run this great nation NOT because they desired it but because the people required it. The people needed them and they answered the call, some of them even reluctantly. George Washington himself denied the presidency 3 times before being convinced.

Now we face something worse then the overbearing crown of england. Something even worse than taxation without representation. We face the destruction of our civil liberties and the irradication of our ability to persue freedom and happiness. Our country is being run by crooks and criminals who's sole obligation is to their bank accounts. They thirst for money and power and will walk on the broken dreams of the American people to achieve it. They see us as insects, lower even than dogs. They see us as idiotic, incompetent, lowly pond scum who's only purpose is to purchase products at enourmous rates to fill their wallets with "donations" from companies who have even less ocncern for us then our government does.

We are being bred to consume and to stimulate the economoy. We do not need a man who spends his fortune on convincing ads and mud-slinging debate tactics. We don't need someone who is chomping at the bit for the power and prestige of the position. What we need is a man who understands, truly, what responsibility the president has to his people. We need a man who knows what his role as congressman means to the people he represents, we need a man who cares. But we will never find such a man because no man of value, virtue, honor and respect is crazy enough to step up to the plate. No man of that sort would purposely put himself in that position. We need a man who does not want to be president. Only THAT man has the right to lead. Only THAT man has a right to be in congress or the senate or in the white house. Only a man who is truly FOR the people, put there BY the people with thoughts OF the people!

[/rant]

Deftil

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 04:57 pm
@Justin,
Obama - 326
McCain - 212

VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 06:11 pm
@Deftil,
the congress had the ability to review the deeds of the outgoing ruler.

Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 06:56 pm
@Icon,
I wish I could vote for US. But I think that if Obama doesn't win there will be mass riots, and not just in the US.

Also, roughly, how does the point system work? Cause I see you're all saying stuff like 327 to 273 etc.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 07:23 pm
@Holiday20310401,
THE ELECTORAL VOTING SYSTEM (roughly)

The next president is chosen based on the amount of electoral votes received from each state. Each state has their own number of electors, and can range anywhere from 3 to 13 to whatever electoral votes. So Texas has 32 electoral votes, California has 55, Idaho has 4, etc. These votes are basically a consensus of the independent votes that are received in each state and divy out into electoral votes.

Now, there is a total of 538 electoral votes in the electoral college

Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 07:39 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
If there are a total of 538 then I say that obama will win 363 to 175. Do we win anything if we win the 'bet' or whoever gets closest? Had to ask:DVery Happy.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 08:14 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Winner gets a state-of-the-art DVD Rewinder!

http://i37.tinypic.com/xcryfo.jpg

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Obama or McCain?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 12:42:47