If you have ever seen a UFO, click here

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

xris

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 01:49 pm
Love to watch it but its blocked...

bmcreider

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 01:53 pm
@withawhy,
It is just a metaphor for the conversation (argumentation) of the last two pages, lol. Drivel over semantics, I want to hear about UFOs, as I have yet to see one Wink.

Pyrrho

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 06:32 pm
@xris,
HexHammer;150916 wrote:
For some reason you are still missing my point entirely.

I'm not saying UFO's can't be aliens, but it DOES NOT nessesarily equal alines, whilst most UFO sighters say it EQUAL ALIENS!

Comprende?

xris;150942 wrote:
I do understand but are they stupid to assume that. My point is that people see the universe and assume a god, are they stupid?

xris;151260 wrote:
I know very well what you are saying that the word, unidentified, describes the observation and those who say they could be of alien origin are stupid because, it ,the word ,unidentified, conveys we don't know. If you have changed your mind from your first post then you have not clarified your view.

You have just explained why HexHammer is correct. When people automatically jump from UNIDENTIFIED Flying Object to alien spacecraft, they are committing the fallacy known as argumentum ad ignorantiam. Being "unidentified" means that it is unknown what it is. When they automatically make such a jump, the argument is basically this: I don't know what it is, therefore I know what it is. So when people do that, yes, they are being quite stupid.

HexHammer

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 06:46 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;151574 wrote:
You have just explained why HexHammer is correct. When people automatically jump from UNIDENTIFIED Flying Object to alien spacecraft, they are committing the fallacy known as argumentum ad ignorantiam. Being "unidentified" means that it is unknown what it is. When they automatically make such a jump, the argument is basically this: I don't know what it is, therefore I know what it is. So when people do that, yes, they are being quite stupid.
The truly sad thing about it, the mods doesn't seem to repond to my complaints about his repeated harrasmen.

xris

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 04:45 am
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;151574 wrote:
So do you want to answer my question then, if he cant. I accepted his reasoning, I understood his comment..now if they are stupid, because they make a certain assumption, why are those who see the universe and all its mysteries make the assumption that a god exists, not stupid. I have asked this question on numerous occasions but he refuses to be drawn..

---------- Post added 04-14-2010 at 05:49 AM ----------

HexHammer;151580 wrote:
The truly sad thing about it, the mods doesn't seem to repond to my complaints about his repeated harrasmen.
Thats because your refusal to answer my question, that is why I pursue you. You called my friend Caroline stupid, so don't accuse me of offending you, when you are the offensive little critter.

HexHammer

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 07:39 am
@xris,
xris;151735 wrote:
So do you want to answer my question then, if he cant. I accepted his reasoning, I understood his comment..now if they are stupid, because they make a certain assumption, why are those who see the universe and all its mysteries make the assumption that a god exists, not stupid. I have asked this question on numerous occasions but he refuses to be drawn..

---------- Post added 04-14-2010 at 05:49 AM ----------

Thats because your refusal to answer my question, that is why I pursue you. You called my friend Caroline stupid, so don't accuse me of offending you, when you are the offensive little critter.
For the sake of prove, I will now quote this post, for xris vigilante behaviour. According to forum rules xris/Caroline should have reported me, instead of xris harrassing me for some allerged crime.

I usually appologize for wrongdoings which I have committed, but no such chance has been given me to redeem myself.

xris

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 07:49 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;151783 wrote:
For the sake of prove, I will now quote this post, for xris vigilante behaviour. According to forum rules xris/Caroline should have reported me, instead of xris harrassing me for some allerged crime.

I usually appologize for wrongdoings which I have committed, but no such chance has been given me to redeem myself.
And still we get rhetoric instead of debate. Answer the damned question and it will resolve your problem. I only pursued you because you called her, indirectly,stupid. And I'm not inclined to go running for help when I see abuse or obstinacy, unlike you. Why do you keep appealing to an imaginary friend for assistance?:perplexed:

HexHammer

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 07:51 am
@xris,
xris;151788 wrote:
And still we get rhetoric instead of debate. Answer the damned question and it will resolve your problem. I only pursued you because you called her, indirectly,stupid. And I'm not inclined to go running for help when I see abuse or obstinacy, unlike you. Why do you keep appealing to an imaginary friend for assistance?:perplexed:
I have now reported your post.

xris

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 07:58 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;151792 wrote:
I have now reported your post.
whoopy do da. It says it all.

Pyrrho

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 11:13 am
@xris,
xris;151735 wrote:

First a bit of clarification. The person jumping from UFO automatically to alien spacecraft is being stupid about that judgment. It does not follow from that that everything else that they do or say is stupid.

Second, you are trying to derail the thread with a discussion about God, which is not the subject of this thread at all. However, I will respond anyway, as I am willing to go off on tangents to some extent. Insofar as the jump is made with no further reasoning than you have just stated, it is a stupid jump that you are talking about. "God did it", when used as an explanation, is typically really a pseudo-explanation, as it is used in the place of an explanation, but typically fails to explain anything. If something is a mystery, it is not helpful to simply say, "God did it". It may stop someone's curiosity to do that, but it does not really explain what is going on at all. If you want real examples, you may wish to study the history of science and its interaction with religion, and you will see how that "God did it" has been the opposite of an explanation in many instances, as it has been an impediment to finding a real explanation to whatever question is at hand.

Caroline

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 11:21 am
@withawhy,
I knew UFO's don't necessarly mean alien aircraft, maybe I should have made the disitinction in my first post.

HexHammer

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 11:30 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;151862 wrote:
I knew UFO's don't necessarly mean alien aircraft, maybe I should have made the disitinction in my first post.
I now think I see what xris has been so jumped up about, I have in no way refeerd to you or your former post.

xris

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 12:31 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;151856 wrote:
First a bit of clarification. The person jumping from UFO automatically to alien spacecraft is being stupid about that judgment. It does not follow from that that everything else that they do or say is stupid.

Second, you are trying to derail the thread with a discussion about God, which is not the subject of this thread at all. However, I will respond anyway, as I am willing to go off on tangents to some extent. Insofar as the jump is made with no further reasoning than you have just stated, it is a stupid jump that you are talking about. "God did it", when used as an explanation, is typically really a pseudo-explanation, as it is used in the place of an explanation, but typically fails to explain anything. If something is a mystery, it is not helpful to simply say, "God did it". It may stop some one's curiosity to do that, but it does not really explain what is going on at all. If you want real examples, you may wish to study the history of science and its interaction with religion, and you will see how that "God did it" has been the opposite of an explanation in many instances, as it has been an impediment to finding a real explanation to whatever question is at hand.
How else was I to convey my annoyance at the fact that making assumptions is something most of us do and to be called stupid for so doing, is abusive. The faithful do it all the time, they have no real proof of their conviction, are they too to be called stupid. UFOs are a phenomena that stimulates a desire to explain ,why not imagine they are alien , should we then say its gods angels in shiny clouds?

HexHammer

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 12:46 pm
@withawhy,
I will not revoke my complaint about xris, one should never resort to vigilanty behaviour, just because of some imagined offence, and worse deraling a good topic.

I will continually insist banning xris.

xris

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 12:52 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;151906 wrote:
I will not revoke my complaint about xris, one should never resort to vigilanty behaviour, just because of some imagined offence, and worse deraling a good topic.

I will continually insist banning xris.
I think, you think too highly of your influence. Giving yourself a title does not give you the power. I think you had better push the ignore button again.

Pyrrho

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 01:24 pm
@xris,
xris;151902 wrote:
How else was I to convey my annoyance at the fact that making assumptions is something most of us do and to be called stupid for so doing, is abusive. The faithful do it all the time, they have no real proof of their conviction, are they too to be called stupid. UFOs are a phenomena that stimulates a desire to explain ,why not imagine they are alien , should we then say its gods angels in shiny clouds?

xris

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 01:36 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;151926 wrote:
So you agree that the faithful could be just as stupid as those who imagine aliens?

Pyrrho

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 01:48 pm
@xris,
xris;151935 wrote:
So you agree that the faithful could be just as stupid as those who imagine aliens?

What makes someone stupid is not so much what is believed, but why it is believed. Those who believe in a god or gods, and those who believe there are no gods, can be stupid if they believe what they believe without reason or evidence. Those who believe based upon fallacious reasoning are being stupid, insofar as they believe based upon a fallacy. But, as I stated previously,

[INDENT][INDENT]First a bit of clarification. The person jumping from UFO automatically to alien spacecraft is being stupid about that judgment. It does not follow from that that everything else that they do or say is stupid.[/INDENT][/INDENT]

One may be very clever in some aspects of one's life, while being a total fool in others. Many people are total fools in some ways, without it making them total fools about everything. But it does not tend to help them in other aspects of their lives to be foolish about something.

In short, the answer to your question, as you have worded it, is "yes". But I suspect that you may have meant something slightly different from what you literally asked.

xris

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 02:08 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;151943 wrote:
What makes someone stupid is not so much what is believed, but why it is believed. Those who believe in a god or gods, and those who believe there are no gods, can be stupid if they believe what they believe without reason or evidence. Those who believe based upon fallacious reasoning are being stupid, insofar as they believe based upon a fallacy. But, as I stated previously,
[INDENT][INDENT]First a bit of clarification. The person jumping from UFO automatically to alien spacecraft is being stupid about that judgment. It does not follow from that that everything else that they do or say is stupid.
[/INDENT][/INDENT]One may be very clever in some aspects of one's life, while being a total fool in others. Many people are total fools in some ways, without it making them total fools about everything. But it does not tend to help them in other aspects of their lives to be foolish about something.

In short, the answer to your question, as you have worded it, is "yes". But I suspect that you may have meant something slightly different from what you literally asked.
The point I was trying to make was that if someone arrived asking a question about a proposed god, could we should we simply call them stupid. It in my opinion, this subject, has the effect of being classified as rather silly and anyone who may have a belief in aliens as stupid. They may well be but we dont make or say the faithful are stupid, do we? So why call someone who has in their opinion developed the belief that they could be aliens, be treated differently to the ardent believer in god? Just try going to the religious section and make the comment with no debate,all those that believe in god are stupid.

Pyrrho

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 02:49 pm
@xris,
xris;151953 wrote:
The point I was trying to make was that if someone arrived asking a question about a proposed god, could we should we simply call them stupid.

Usually, it is not going to be productive to simply call someone "stupid".

xris;151953 wrote:
It in my opinion, this subject, has the effect of being classified as rather silly and anyone who may have a belief in aliens as stupid.

I think you are grouping too many things together, or you are not writing with adequate precision. It is not stupid to think that there might be aliens somewhere in the universe (as it may have similar causes to life here), but it is an entirely different thing to suppose that every unidentified thing that flies is an alien, which would be stupid, as there is no reason to believe that. (If I am wrong about that last point, naturally, someone may point it out if they wish, by providing the evidence for the claim.)

xris;151953 wrote:
They may well be but we dont make or say the faithful are stupid, do we?

Who are the "we" you are referring to? I am quite willing to say, of anyone who believes things without evidence or contrary to the evidence that they have, that person is being stupid with regard to that thing.

I find it funny that my attitude on this point is associated with atheism, as that suggests that theists have no good reason for their beliefs at all, and that everyone knows this. No theists should be afraid of looking at evidence fairly and objectively, unless they really believe that they are believing a lie and want to believe a lie, which is a very peculiar thing, as it suggests that deep down somewhere they are really atheists themselves.

A.J. Burger makes an interesting point that relates to this:

Quote:
Or in matters of religion, if one chooses to be a Muslim, rather than a Christian or some other alternative, by faith, rather than with evidence, why choose those beliefs rather than any others? To see the need for evidence in matters of religion, one need only consider that the various religions all contradict each other, and, therefore, they cannot all be true. And why choose one religion rather than another? When a believer is attempting to convert others, what can be said to someone who claims faith in another religion? The believer can say that only his or her faith is faith in something true, but that is no evidence at all, and the prospective convert can make the same claim about his or her own religion. The religionist who advocates faith is, therefore, in a rather interesting position-he or she must also advocate rejecting faith. The reason for this is clear from the above remarks-one must reject all conflicting faiths if one is to embrace a particular faith. This may be obscured by the fact that people are often inconsistent (and consequently they are necessarily wrong no matter what the truth might be), but it does not alter the fact that, for example, it is impossible to fully embrace both Catholicism and Buddhism, or even Catholicism and Lutheranism. Anyone who is acquainted with the doctrines of each of these religions will be able to come up with examples of how the doctrine of each conflicts with that of the others. And, indeed, all different religions have conflicting doctrines, for, after all, if their doctrines were all the same, then they would not be different religions.

burger-book

What is particularly odd about this is the fact that many people say that these matters are the most important things in the world, and yet they generally are so careless about them. Many people are not very consistent about these things at all, and consequently they are necessarily wrong, no matter what the truth might be. It is a curious thing, when one purports to want to find great truths, to choose a course of action such that one guarantees failure no matter what the truth might be. It is odd that so many people, who are smart enough to look both ways before crossing the street, are so careless about what they claim is infinitely more important, the fate of their immortal souls. I would say that that shows great stupidity.

xris;151953 wrote:
So why call someone who has in their opinion developed the belief that they could be aliens, be treated differently to the ardent believer in god?

Who said that they should be treated differently? Of course, it is a different subject, and so there will be some differences that will result from that, but otherwise, I see no reason to regard the one as different from the other. In both cases, it is all a question of evidence and reasoning, whether the person is being stupid about the matter or not.

xris;151953 wrote:
Just try going to the religious section and make the comment with no debate,all those that believe in god are stupid.

It is unlikely to be useful to simply call people "stupid" without any kind of argument given. In most cases, it is best to simply comment on the arguments and not comment on the stupidity of the arguer, even though believing based upon fallacious reasoning is stupid, as far as that point goes.

I suppose I may as well add, that pretty much everyone does or believes something stupid occasionally, but to do so habitually is what causes one to truly deserve being called a stupid person. Perhaps that is a source of some issue you have with what I have been saying, though I tried to head that off with my previous comment about a person being stupid about one thing does not necessarily mean that that person is stupid about everything else.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/08/2024 at 04:13:33