IQ Curiosity

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Icon
 
Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 02:01 pm
Just trying to study the Average IQ of someone on this forum. I know it will vary greatly and does not truly mean anything but I am studying this compared to that of forums in which the topic of conversation is not so..... polite or intellectual. I have a feeling that those who USE their minds more frequently for whatever topic will have a higher average IQ but I want to prove this as an experiment of human ability and nature.

I'll kick it off

214
 
TickTockMan
 
Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 02:15 pm
@Icon,
214? You have GOT to be kidding.

If it's that high, why are you wandering around on this forum? Shouldn't you be out curing cancer or herding quarks with your mind or something?

http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/IQtable.aspx

According to this you are very special. Damn near one of a kind.
 
Faun147
 
Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 02:20 pm
@Icon,
I can't find the source, but I remember reading an article about philosophy education in children dramatically increasing IQ. It seems fair to say that philosophical thought might increase cognitive processes. It's intense and demanding. I wonder how it might effect EQ...

Are we discussing IQ with the 100 median? The reason I ask is because the only range I've seen in tests were 1-200. The 214 is throwing me off, but I might have been exposed to uncommon caps. I recieve anywhere between 132-137.
 
Icon
 
Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 02:33 pm
@Icon,
250 is the MENSA registered cap as of the mid 80's.

It might also interest everyone to know that the average IQ was dropped from 130 to 100-110 which is a tad bit frightening.

As far as curing cancer, I hate biology and quarks can't be modified with mere thought since thought cannot create that much energy. Brain waves are only so powerful.

I challenege anyone to push their minds to the limit and see what can be done. As a being, we have not even touched on our abilities. The trick is to clear the mind, not fill it. Wink

IQ is truly nothing more than how you manage to intake and relate data. For instance, when I look at things, I don't see a single picture. I pull in each object in view, calculate approximate distance, angle in relation to my POV, weight, mass in 0g, friction related to my mass, speed in which it travels, potential energy in newtons and then combine it all into a single image. Basically my IQ has done nothing more than allow me to become a GREAT estimator and read at about 760 per minute with a 98% retention rate. I still play chess like a child and have a hard time telling up from down after a good night of drinking.
 
TickTockMan
 
Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 02:38 pm
@Icon,
Clear the mind of what?
 
Icon
 
Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 02:42 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan wrote:
Clear the mind of what?

The self. Allow the mind to work without interference of the self. You can come to conclusions so much faster when you don't try to hash things out like a toddler playing with a Rubik's cube.
 
TickTockMan
 
Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 02:45 pm
@Icon,
But if I've cleared my self out who will I report my conclusions to?
 
Icon
 
Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 02:48 pm
@Icon,
I don't know how to explain it really. Have you ever just known something? You never studied it, never researched it or played with it... it is just something that makes sense? It is sort of like that. Your mind works, your body takes action and you are left to work through it later. Basically, set your mind in the direction with your consciousness and then let go. The answers come more freely that way.


EDIT: It is something I have just always been able to do. I let my mind do the work while I let my consciousness wander about other topics which require its attention.
 
Faun147
 
Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 02:53 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
250 is the MENSA registered cap as of the mid 80's.

It might also interest everyone to know that the average IQ was dropped from 130 to 100-110 which is a tad bit frightening.

As far as curing cancer, I hate biology and quarks can't be modified with mere thought since thought cannot create that much energy. Brain waves are only so powerful.

I challenege anyone to push their minds to the limit and see what can be done. As a being, we have not even touched on our abilities. The trick is to clear the mind, not fill it. Wink


:detective:
I've been exposed to the notion that IQ has increased over the last 100 years. When it comes to IQ, the average is always 100. What qualifies as 100 has become more demanding as the average has increased. Einstein's 140-something would be lower if he were to take the test today. The scale is 90-110 being considered average. 80-90 below average. 110-120 above average. Below 70 is mentally retarded; above 130 is regional genius or "gifted." Typically 140 or higher is considered universal genius. If you want, sometime I might google for a reference- but not right now... and I'm certainly not going to refer you to my textbook Razz

Sorry, don't mean to be difficult here. One thing to keep in mind is that the tests vary. I tend to score higher on mensa tests than I do the ones I've taken at school, and yet, I am in fact the same person. IQ supposedly rarely varies more than ten in a single lifespan. Of course, the more you take a test, the higher you will score (regardless if change). Additionally, we must remember that what the numbers mean also vary.
:poke-eye:
 
Faun147
 
Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 02:57 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
I don't know how to explain it really. Have you ever just known something? You never studied it, never researched it or played with it... it is just something that makes sense? It is sort of like that. Your mind works, your body takes action and you are left to work through it later. Basically, set your mind in the direction with your consciousness and then let go. The answers come more freely that way.


EDIT: It is something I have just always been able to do. I let my mind do the work while I let my consciousness wander about other topics which require its attention.

Much like an autistic savant. Smile They are not thinking of anything but their activity- thus allowing them to concentrate completely on their painting or equations, etc.
 
Icon
 
Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 02:59 pm
@Faun147,
Faun147 wrote:
:detective:
I've been exposed to the notion that IQ has increased over the last 100 years. When it comes to IQ, the average is always 100. What qualifies as 100 has become more demanding as the average has increased. Einstein's 140-something would be lower if he were to take the test today. The scale is 90-110 being considered average. 80-90 below average. 110-120 above average. Below 70 is mentally retarded; above 130 is regional genius or "gifted." Typically 140 or higher is considered universal genius. If you want, sometime I might google for a reference- but not right now... and I'm certainly not going to refer you to my textbook Razz

Sorry, don't mean to be difficult here. One thing to keep in mind is that the tests vary. I tend to score higher on mensa tests than I do the ones I've taken at school, and yet, I am in fact the same person. IQ supposedly rarely varies more than ten in a single lifespan. Of course, the more you take a test, the higher you will score (regardless if change). Additionally, we must remember that what the numbers mean also vary.
:poke-eye:

Hmmmm. In that case, there is truly no way to test this unless everyone took a standardized test at the same time under the same conditions.

Expounding on what you've said, basically this is a fruitless experiment because the tests are not the same and the scale varies as well as the condition of the test taker as well as the number of times one has taken the test. So this number truly is meaningless. Well then I suppose I will have to find some other scale for potential in which to meassure accurate or semi-accurate results that would match with social conduct in a pure communicative social structure. Sad
 
TickTockMan
 
Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 03:00 pm
@Faun147,
Faun147;30361 wrote:
Below 70 is mentally retarded;


SWEET! I just squeaked by at 72!

And there was much rejoicing.
 
Icon
 
Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 03:01 pm
@Icon,
And I am NOT Austistic... I don't think... Hmmm. I should probably get that checked out. Can there be such a thing as selective Autism?
 
TickTockMan
 
Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 03:02 pm
@Icon,
Icon;30365 wrote:
Well then I suppose I will have to find some other scale for potential in which to meassure accurate or semi-accurate results that would match with social conduct in a pure communicative social structure. Sad


I don't even know what this means . . . .
 
Icon
 
Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 03:06 pm
@Icon,
Well the purpose of meassuring IQ is to meassure potential.

The internet is a purely communicative social structure in that I have no idea what you look like, sound like, act like... merely how you communicate.

Social conduct is how you behave within the social structure.

So I need to find some scale which allows me to meassure potential accurately or semi-accurately according to social conduct in a purely communicative social structure.

I can't seem to type today. I apologize!
 
TickTockMan
 
Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 03:09 pm
@Icon,
Icon;30373 wrote:
Well the purpose of meassuring IQ is to meassure potential.

The internet is a purely communicative social structure in that I have no idea what you look like, sound like, act like... merely how you communicate.

Social conduct is how you behave within the social structure.

So I need to find some scale which allows me to meassure potential accurately or semi-accurately according to social conduct in a purely communicative social structure.


Is this for a class or something? Because I'll cooperate if it will help you get a better grade. Just tell me what to say.
 
Icon
 
Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 03:10 pm
@Icon,
hahaha. I haven't been in school since I was 14. I do these sorts of things to occupy myself and to learn.

Same reason I read up on Quantum Mechanics and Philosophy
 
Aristoddler
 
Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 03:30 pm
@Icon,
I range between 137-143 depending on the test, and my wife ranges the same, but has scored 147 on the provincial IQ test that they gave out in high school.

We're hoping our newborn son breaks the curve and outwits us by the time he's potty trained.


That being said...
Marilyn vos Savant
Writer Marilyn vos Savant (born 1946) has an IQ of 228, the highest ever recorded.

Stephen Hawking's IQ is 205.

You claim yours to be 214. Gratz if it is, but I'll vocalize my sincerest doubts regardless.
 
Icon
 
Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 12:39 am
@Aristoddler,
Aristoddler wrote:
I range between 137-143 depending on the test, and my wife ranges the same, but has scored 147 on the provincial IQ test that they gave out in high school.

We're hoping our newborn son breaks the curve and outwits us by the time he's potty trained.


That being said...
Marilyn vos Savant
Writer Marilyn vos Savant (born 1946) has an IQ of 228, the highest ever recorded.

Stephen Hawking's IQ is 205.

You claim yours to be 214. Gratz if it is, but I'll vocalize my sincerest doubts regardless.

And that is fair. No doubt, I was fairly amazed myself. Of course, it makes a difference which test I took so I could quite possibly be incorrect.
 
Joshy phil
 
Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 04:08 pm
@Icon,
I'm generally around the 140 mark, although I think I was slightly higher in one test I did.
Might I suggest that everybody tries a single test, so as to get a more accurate comparison?
Which brings me to the question of 'What is the best IQ test around?'. I've tried a lot of the free ones, but do you get better results, in terms of accuracy, in those you pay for?
 
 

 
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 08/03/2020 at 12:51:53