How energy will change the world

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » How energy will change the world

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 06:06 pm
The current world is in a comfortable position in regards to energy. Comfortable in the sense of how and where we get out energy has been relatively the same for years with economies built around it and countries relying on it. It seems each day I hear new studies about highly efficient solar energy breakthroughs and even more efficient solar technologies being created. Even some strangely clever ones. Solar is the most logical next step... its virtually free. With nano technologies approaching, drastically helping the efficiency efforts, its just a matter of time till paying for energy is a thing of the past.

That could be true. My question, is how will this effect the world? If a breakthrough happened in the next few years and your entire home, office, car, etc.. are powered by the sun, what effect would this incredibly sudden change have on the worlds oil producing and energy spending countries?

VideCorSpoon

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 07:53 pm
@withawhy,
Beverly Hill BilliesAutoblogBut if the world really were free of oil and on renewable energy. First, I would put all my life savings into a public service announcement to be broadcast all over the middle east. In this statement, I would say;

A)OPEC this (insert mental image of the middle finger) you a-holes!

B) All those years you drained the world of cash in exchange for oil, and all you have to show for it are faltered real estate investments and really tall buildings. WTF Middle-east! Did you think the need for oil would last forever that you wouldn't feel the need to invest that oil money in viable infrastructure to fit into the world's economy! Enjoy sitting on billions of barrels of nearly worthless goop. You deserve it. Also, while we are on the subject, to that Sultan that has like five of every type of exotic car made for the past thirty years... I hate you. I hope your Red Ferrari Enzo has electrical problems and your chromed out Bugatti Veyron rusts.

C) To quote James May from Top Gear, "It's back to flying carpets for you."

LOL! Just kidding. But seriously, that Sultan thing was pretty straight up.

withawhy

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 10:54 pm
@withawhy,
One of the more enjoyable responses Ive read in a while, haha. I suppose at one point in time it will come. At that point, Id imagine something resembling chaos and anarchy in the middle east.

On the flip side, India who decided their main focus to be programming will be clear sailing in the strangely technological years to come.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 08:28 am
@withawhy,

manored

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 11:20 am
@withawhy,
For a big and sudden change in the manner the world makes energy I will place my bet on cold fusion. Imagine supplying the current london with energy for one week with a cup of water Smile (That measure is real)

Off course its not that easy, but I don think especting fusion to show up suddently is overly optimistic, just note how fast we went from disketes holding 1 mb to CDs holding 700X more, how sudden was the leap from normal bombs to nuclear bomb, in a few years we gained self-destruction capacity.

I think the changes are pretty much impossible to foresee, but in the overall will make the world a better place: There will be no more disputes for fuel since anything will be fuel.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 12:26 pm
@manored,

withawhy

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 02:31 pm
@withawhy,
I put my bet on nanotechnology solar power. Wager: 1 http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/images/PHBlue/buttons/post_thanks.gif

xris

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 02:36 pm
@withawhy,
I put my faith in the power of nature to destroy us and save the world...what is more important humanity or the world we live in???

withawhy

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 03:16 pm
@withawhy,
Is nature important if there is no conscious mind to appreciate it?

xris

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 04:02 pm
@withawhy,
withawhy wrote:
Is nature important if there is no conscious mind to appreciate it?
It depends on what you call consciousness..

VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 04:15 pm
@xris,
Depends on how the conscious mind factors into the issue of electrical production for common use. On that note... does it? Is Descartes an employee of the electrical company now?

Ennui phil

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 03:45 am
@withawhy,
Using solar energy is the optimal thing to save energy usage,as it converts light energy into eclectic subsequent energies.Humanity is indeed intellectual to conceive of this,in blueprint,and then it is invented to suit all families.

One demerit is that you could not use solar energy in the night,and what would transpire if each family must buy this mandatory solar panels?Isn't the future night un-befitting?

Humanity should perceive twice of whether solar energy is needed for all families.It's needless to invent it,in retrospection,as why wouldn't humanity terminate pollution first?Human living in the world should help to save the Earth,each of us.

When humanity invent these solar panel,solar cars,and the like,some chemicals is a dearth,and reputedly it would be prohibitive,like a million for a big and productive engine.

If the family has unsufficient money,then what are they for?

manored

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 04:06 pm
@withawhy,
Well energy production is usually handled by the government, so everone has acess to it, only thing that varies is how much one can afford to get.

xris wrote:
I put my faith in the power of nature to destroy us and save the world...what is more important humanity or the world we live in???

Humanity:

1. The world is not a beating heart and life/nature is not a magical holy thing.
2. Humans are life too.
3. All forms of life care only for their survival, intelligence is not an excuse to demand humans to be diferent.
4. Life is a relative concept.
5. Nature is not a mother or magical force, has no will, and doesnt seeks reveange.

Aristoddler

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 04:37 pm
@withawhy,
Unicorns can't operate the energy transfer facilities because they have no thumbs, and if gnomes would run the transportation system, we'd all have the to adjust our seats.

Your logic is horribly flawed.

withawhy

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 04:44 pm
@manored,
manored wrote:

5. Nature is not a mother or magical force, has no will, and doesnt seeks reveange.

I would say nature is a mysterious force which is pushing and has been pushing since the beginning of the universe to create a consciousness that is aware of the fact that nature is a mysterious force which is pushing and has been pushing since the beginning of the universe to create a consciousness that is aware.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 06:34 pm
@withawhy,
http://i35.tinypic.com/2j3js5t.jpg

withawhy

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 10:28 pm
@withawhy,
http://www.blavish.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/mooning-gnome-fun.jpg

manored

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 02:20 pm
@withawhy,
withawhy wrote:
I would say nature is a mysterious force which is pushing and has been pushing since the beginning of the universe to create a consciousness that is aware of the fact that nature is a mysterious force which is pushing and has been pushing since the beginning of the universe to create a consciousness that is aware.
I think its the oposite, that is, consciousness is a mysterious force that created this world.

withawhy

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 04:19 pm
@manored,
manored wrote:
I think its the oposite, that is, consciousness is a mysterious force that created this world.

i would have to retract my statement and agree with you

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » How energy will change the world
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 02:36:46