Pop Culture Philosophy

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Pop Culture Philosophy

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 01:15 pm
I saw the thread on the Matrix and I have seen various books about the philosophy of certain pop culture phenomenon, and I was just wondering if the members of this thread believe these are helpful or harmful to the field of philosophy.

Afallucco

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 01:47 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
In my opinion, anything that sparks debate and thought certianly cannot be harmful to philosophy. Now if it was something that discouraged thought and debate, that would most certainly be harmful.

JoseyDaisyChains

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 02:16 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
i have read books on the matrix and Batman philosophy and i found them very insightful and easy to apply the ideas to other situations. it also gave me more motivation to learn about certain philosophers and the ideas because i had images in my head of the characters i was reading about Smile i would deffo recommend esp. 'Taking the red pill' - for the matrix. many of the key philosophical ideas i already knew and this book helped me understand better as i felt i could apply them to more complex situations. also theres a lot of things a director puts into a film that is missed by the audience, if your a big fan like i am ^_^ you enjoy reading about those certain things you missed before.

jgweed

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 10:12 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
If such encourages people to pursue philosophy or to deepen their thinking, it is to the good. On the other hand, if it becomes a self-congratulary substitute for authentic thinking that is the hallmark of philosophy, if it becomes an opinion that one can put in one's pocket and produce at a moments notice around the dinner table, if it makes no difference to the person's life, and it is quickly discarded for something more recent, I wonder how much it benefits anyone.

withawhy

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 05:43 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
id always imagined scenarios like the matrix, so to see it was exciting to me. it was also much easier to talk about concepts like that with people after it came out now. on the down side, trying to talk seriously about alternate realities or dimensions and having someone diminish the thought by saying "oh like the matrix" is frustrating

JoseyDaisyChains

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 07:10 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Haha very true. Im currently making a short film based on Plato's Realm of forms and parts of his theory on soul mates and everytime someone asks me what the film is going to be about, from previous experience of wasting 10 mins talking about his ideas and still not getting anywhere, i chose to just say 'oh its a mixture of alice inwonderland meets the matrix' then they leave me alone satisfied with the idea its a film on a different world.
Saddly the fact is some people are more satisfied as passive viewer of films just to take it in on the surface and not to go any deeper. my films going to be like the matrix as you you can take it as a love story or as a philosophical film portraying platos key ideas.

jgweed

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 07:54 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Does a shelf of Reader's Digest condensed books, to return to the original question, make one well-read?

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 08:13 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
I have one of the pop culture and philosophy book, which is called B*llsh*t and Philosophy. I am not sure about the others Like Full Throttle Aristotle: Harley Davidson and Philosophy, but I can say BS and Philo is a very well put together collection of essays that cover everything BS. I have a feeling that Monty Python and Philosophy would also make a good read.

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 08:17 am
@jgweed,
jgweed wrote:
Does a shelf of Reader's Digest condensed books, to return to the original question, make one well-read?

This is kind of like asking if you study Sparknotes are you well read. I say no. Sure you could know a lot of information found in books, but I think to be well read you need to be able experience the inner workings of narratives.

Wouldn't reading condensed books be much like only watching clips of movies?

JoseyDaisyChains

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 09:40 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
thats true although spark notes is good to help recap on things you may have forgotton. the idea about Monty python and philosophy i think they really should do a book on that also only fools and horses would be fun to read too Very Happy

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 10:16 am
@JoseyDaisyChains,
JoseyDaisyChains wrote:
the idea about Monty python and philosophy i think they really should do a book on that

If you are interested here you go. The book has been out for a few years, and is edited by the same individuals who put together Bullsh*t and Philosophy.

Amazon.com: Monty Python and Philosophy: Nudge Nudge, Think Think! (Popular Culture and Philosophy): Gary L. Hardcastle, George A. Reisch: Books

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 10:17 am
@JoseyDaisyChains,
JoseyDaisyChains wrote:
thats true although spark notes is good to help recap on things you may have forgotton. the idea about Monty python and philosophy i think they really should do a book on that also only fools and horses would be fun to read too Very Happy

I agree that Sparknotes are good for recap, but they cannot ever replace genuine reading.

Rose phil

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 01:24 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
I don't like the term 'Pop Culture Philosophy'.

But I agree with Afallucco and JoseyDaisyChains. Even if just a little philosophy helps to improve the quality of someone's life, you can call it whatever you want.

Who cares who provides the air so long as there is air to breath and people to breath it.

JoseyDaisyChains

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 11:04 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
If you are interested here you go. The book has been out for a few years, and is edited by the same individuals who put together Bullsh*t and Philosophy.

Amazon.com: Monty Python and Philosophy: Nudge Nudge, Think Think! (Popular Culture and Philosophy): Gary L. Hardcastle, George A. Reisch: Books

Thanks so much i look forward to reading this!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Pop Culture Philosophy
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 04:58:47