From now to 1,525 days from now

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

withawhy

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 07:22 pm
@Doorsopen,
Doorsopen wrote:

ON SEEING THE FUTURE:
Recent studies demonstrate that we have evolved to compensate for the delay (one tenth of a second, unless my memory fails) between light striking an object, that same light being reflected onto our retinas and the mental process involved in perceiving the object.
-

The concept of "present" extremely difficult to understand. And no, the present isnt "now". We understand the past and we understand the future.

Does the present moment even exist? Well it has to, but for how much time does it exist? Thats the problem.. It is impossible for the present moment to have a time frame. There is Past | Future. There is no present.

At least not in the way in which we perceive time. Time doesnt actually exist. We perceive time through change. Change exists. Change happens at different rates of speed. Change is growth. The universe grows, changes, evolves. Its easy to see change happen, but what is more interesting is that our minds, our consciousness exists in this place as well.

I believe you can meditate on the concept of present enough to where you can feel it. I dont think you can ever actually experience it, but you can definitely have a deeper understanding of it than simply just living and saying the word "now". It is a beautiful and frightening thing. It is the moment of reality becoming real.

Joe

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 08:07 am
@withawhy,
withawhy wrote:
Do you think its possible to predict the future by taking a series of important events happening right now and calculating them in some sort of real life cause and effect equation?

Intresting idea. It reminds me of an artical i read in Astronomy magazine.
Everything we see with are eyes is actually something that is from a miniscule amount of time in the past. The amount of time it takes for something to reflect the light we see, seems like its instant, when its actually the smallest amount of time.

So this makes me think. I wonder if you can take a scientific notion on the evnts of tomorrow. Maybe it would only take some sort of advanced computer that dealt with scientific foundations, and would be able to examine all possible calculations on a multitude of subjects. But then again, i would think that the human factor would make this a more unpredictable challenge. Then were talking about computers that can define each individual person and what there actions would be in different situations.

Pretty cool to think about, with so many different ways perdiction could reach out too.

Doorsopen

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 08:33 am
@withawhy,
The present being:
withawhy;28572 wrote:
the moment of reality becoming real.

I find this a very concise and elegant description. See also the thread on 'being'.

Thank you for this.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 04:03:54