Hi All

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 07:18 am
Hey guys,

Just mentioning that I recently joined the forum. Also, I was wondering if someone can guide me to some good material to catch up on philosophy. I took it in high school and some in first year, but I seem to have misplaced:confused: most of the ideas Surprised

Verlorener Geist

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 10:18 am
@topherfox,
I do alot of my research online and in greek philospy texts!

Pythagorean

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 10:47 am
@Verlorener Geist,
Welcome to the forums topherfox!

You might want to refresh your philosophical muscles with Betrand Russell's The Problems of Philosophy. A lot of students believe that this book is perfect for beginning philosophers and those needing a refresher. Here is the link to an online version of the book:

The Problems of Philosophy - Bertrand Russell

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 07:51 pm
@topherfox,
Absolutely - the Russell is fantastic, though not only for beginners, for anyone, really. Even the stereotypical ideal of the scholar sage, I think, should be interested in reading the book. Check out the classics, Plato, Aristotle, Hume, Descartes - the big names are so for a reason. A great host of subject specific books are also available, books on Metaphysics, ethics, problems of free will, god, ect. Used book stores are great places to find cheap (relating to cost, not quality) philosophy.

Also, a good history of philosophy set would be valuable.

topherfox

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 07:59 pm
@topherfox,
Great, thanks for the ideas, I especially like the used books idea.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 08:31 pm
@topherfox,
I find all kinds of treasures at used book stores. You can put together a nice library with little expense if you bargain shop.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 12:40:52