The Black Void of Nothingness

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The Black Void of Nothingness

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 04:31 pm
I distinctly remember many instances from my childhood, lying in my bed, where my mind/soul would reach out to the sky above in profound yearning for some type of explanation. The types of words they teach you in school to explain certain things had not yet been taught to me, but the emotion is the same as when I feel it now. I would not yet be at the threshold of half-sleep half-awake, but I would imagine my own life in respect to the world, the world in respect to the universe; how black and void is the immense domain in which we live, and how few are the comforting, shining stars which shine against its infinite depth.

Along this line of thought would my mind and emotions wander, and then bam! It would suddenly hit me: the overpowering emotion of the yearning mind which exists in this domain. The realizations:

-This experience we call life is a great mystery, and this mystery can not be solved.

-We are very alone in this mysterious experience. While surrounded by others who endure a similar experience, and with whom we can reasonably communicate, our true feelings are untranslatable into any language. The complete pain of suffering is ours alone, and the insane happiness of joy is ours alone. Our individual experience is unique, and we can not share it with anybody else.

The reaction:

- How sad is the idea of traveling through this experience of life, if we can never fully communicate our experience with another, and if we can never know the mystery of the experience? This sadness brings an image of floating about in a black void of nothingness, alone, unknowing, and hopeless. To somewhat allude to Plato's cave: you lock yourself in a dark, soundproof room and shut your eyes and let the mind work. Sooner or later, you begin to imagine sounds that aren't there, and those flashes of colors which randomly appear before your eyes begin to take on forms, shapes, and eventually names of people. Events take place, and time marches on, but there is a remarkable disconnect between the thinking, feeling self, and the rest. This imaginary world then, however minimal, does exist to you, and is but a fraction of the normal human experience with "real" sounds, colors, and smells, and "real" people. But how much of what you see and "know" is real, and how much is created by the mind?

"I am the voice of one crying out in the wilderness..." asking for truth.

Maybe if we could entertain the experience of a solitary fish which dwells at the deepest depths of the ocean, where there is no light, we could understand this extreme. Or, perhaps more extreme, imagine being a person who is blind, deaf, dumb, and paralyzed.

And then, if in one space of reality where we have the black void of nothingness, and if another we have our "normal" experience of life, surely there must also be the opposite "extreme" of this void, consisting of the experience of "all knowing" or the "eternal light", or what other name you may choose. This experience of "eternal light" would allow direct emotional communication with whatever else is there, divine knowledge of the movement of life, matter, and its history. Complete understanding and peace.

Perhaps this relative understanding is what inspires my hope. That we find what is "good" by avoiding what is "bad", and we find the light by running towards it, out of the darkness. Even if we are certain that the "all knowing" state is unattainable, we can survive by knowing that it is there.

Some people might share these types of thoughts. More people though will tell me to "stop thinking so much and have a few beers". Well, if the light is unreachable, the beer can make the darkness more bearable. :cool:

paulhanke

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 09:19 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss wrote:
And then, if in one space of reality where we have the black void of nothingness, and if another we have our "normal" experience of life, surely there must also be the opposite "extreme" of this void, consisting of the experience of "all knowing" or the "eternal light", or what other name you may choose. This experience of "eternal light" would allow direct emotional communication with whatever else is there, divine knowledge of the movement of life, matter, and its history. Complete understanding and peace.

... what would life be like to be in direct communion with whatever else is out there; to have divine knowledge of the movement of life, matter, its history, and its future? ... what could possibly make life interesting? ... for that matter, would there even be a self? ... or would the self be the single lonely whole of the expanding universe, trapped within the black void of nothingness?

It's good to be human ... sharing a life of mystery and adventure in a thriving chaotic maelstrom somewhere between two dead extremes - the black void of nothingness of human isolation, and the black void of nothingness of divine isolation.

Pangloss

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 12:15 am
@Pangloss,
I don't know. This thread was mainly a recollection of some thoughts I had when I was younger that were in the are of philosophy. Of course it's highly imaginative, but I thought still worthy of discussion. I agree an existence between extremes is probably going to be preferable to one of all-knowing or one of nothing. Or maybe we, the middle ground, are an extreme, and the other extreme is the perfect combination of nothing and everything.

paulhanke

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 06:56 pm
@Pangloss,
... depends upon how you define "preferable" ... the notion of (divine) truth is extraordinarily enticing - but (to misquote a famous movie screenplay) can the human mind handle the truth? ... it seems to be a common plot: philosopher searches for truth; philosopher suffers mental breakdown; philosopher emerges from mental breakdown to do his/her best work ... but how many philosophers that we've never heard of didn't emerge from the mind-wrecking search for truth? ... seems like philosophy can be a dangerous business (that is, if you're a philosopher who wholly dives into the abyss of truth, as opposed to one who practices a "safe philosophy" like pragmatism or linguistic analysis) ... I would prefer to know truth ... but on the other hand, I would prefer to stay sane ... can I have it both ways? ... and if not, how do I choose between the two?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The Black Void of Nothingness
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 08:47:19