Arguments for the sake of what?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Arguments for the sake of what?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 01:54 pm
I have noticed during the short time I've been on here that when things get heated, the two (or more, who are not agreeing with something) users often consider there to be a sort of objective way of argueing. They would much rather defend their argument by saying how unflawed the way they went about the argument was. I suppose it comes with being a nerd who enjoys philosophy so much or something.

But this is going to get us nowhere when everybody feels prestige of their own opinions and way of argueing them.

And everybody is stubborn anyways. It is nice to hear some knowledge and insights but how often do they actually change one's mind on an arguement?

An exception is when Aedes tells me the exceptions to a statement.

So if the whole concept to this is to sway somebody to your side, then whats the point? (Thats not the point to everybody, just generalizing here), or is generalizing the wrong way of argueing?:rolleyes:

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 02:00 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Ideally, we would simply share ideas and reply with our thoughts and concerns about the ideas presented.

Holiday20310401

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 02:04 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Yes but in hopes of the other person where does it get him/her? Yes now they have more knowledge but rarely to change their overall view and mindset.

iconoclast

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 02:05 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
practice what you preach!

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 02:12 pm
@iconoclast,
Quote:
Yes but in hopes of the other person where does it get him/her? Yes now they have more knowledge but rarely to change their overall view and mindset.

All depends on how the other person responds. You're right - when confronted with information that seems to discredit dearly held views, people become defensive and close themselves off to information. It's a shame. I would suggest that people not cling so tightly to their views - chances are, we're wrong, at least to some extent, when we make a claim.

Victor Eremita

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 02:18 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Well, I haven't read every thread on this forum, but I don't think I've seen any ad hominem attacks so that's always good.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 02:25 pm
@Victor Eremita,
I'm glad you haven't encountered any, Victor, but they are hanging around. The mod team tries to deal with them when we find them.

CORGIGUY

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 02:32 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
This is a post from another blog that've found helpfull, guidelines on how to conduct a mannerly debate.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 05:35 pm
@CORGIGUY,
I don't know about that victor... I've seen some ad hominem attacks from a good while back. But usually when you scratch at frustrations it is when the offensive begins.

But discourse seems inextricably connected to some degree of malevolence. That seems to be the natural feature of rhetorical debate, not abstract discourse which seems in the best interests of philosophy. I seldom see an argument separate abstract discourse from personal feelings.

But even still, look at most Platonic dialogs and see how Socratic reasonings turn out. Usually, they turn out awkward to say the least. Look at Euthyphro for example. The conversation starts out nice and fine, but ego and personal bias drive him away before Socrates gets his answers. Even in an ideal text, the conversation never turns out to the benefit of both parties.

Victor Eremita

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 05:57 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon wrote:
discourse seems inextricably connected to some degree of malevolence. That seems to be the natural feature of rhetorical debate, not abstract discourse which seems in the best interests of philosophy. I seldom see an argument separate abstract discourse from personal feelings.

You can probably thank one Mr. Nietzsche for that. You got otherwise good philosophers, like Robert C. Solomon, defending his ad hominem as "inextricably tied to his philosophical style".

Nietzsche.... what a yutz Wink

Arjen

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 06:06 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
I have noticed during the short time I've been on here that when things get heated, the two (or more, who are not agreeing with something) users often consider there to be a sort of objective way of argueing. They would much rather defend their argument by saying how unflawed the way they went about the argument was. I suppose it comes with being a nerd who enjoys philosophy so much or something.

I think the object of that line of argumentation is entirely different; although the intention to that line of argumentation may differ from person to person.

My personal intent is to make sure that it is not the conclusion (the predication, the thought-object) which is important. I may be wrong, the encyclopedia may be wrong and even more importantly: any conclusion (predication, thought-object) is always one locked in space and time and with the changing of space and time the conclusion (predication, thought-object) will change.

Because of this the only important issue at hand is the method one uses to deduce truth (a true conclusion, predication, thought-object); not the statement of such a deduced conclusion (predication, thought-object). In fact: such statements are the only statements making no sense at all because one would necessarily need to deduce the method which was used for the formulation of that particular conclusion (predication, thought-object).

I know peoples intentions usually are 'good' when stating 'facts' (conclusions, predications, thought-objects) though. So I, in no way, mean any disrespect to anybody who behaves in such a manner. I am merely trying to say that it makes no sense at all to make a statement wihout noting the standing in space and time. Both are needed to understand the full meaning of any conclusion (predication, thought-object). The reason for this is because you hold those two against your own personal method for deducing truth (a true conclusion, predication, thought-object). Therefore any 'faulty' conclusion (predication, thought-object) is due to a faulty reasoning (a 'faulty' method). Any correct, but alien conclusion (predication, thought-object) is due to standing.

In my opinion we use three things in any reasoning:

- Method
- Standing
- The conclusion (predication, thought-object)

The importance of the three being in just the order I placed them in. The reason for this is because there is only one method that facilitates true conclusions (predications, thought-objects), there are an infinite number of standing and for each standing are infinite amounts of conclusions, predications, thought-objects).

I hope this helps.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 06:11 pm
@Arjen,
This is good link to an outline about Socratic dialog.

Socratic Dialog

Theaetetus

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:03 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:

I think this is often typical in religious dialogue--or more appropriately dueling polemics. Religion by nature to most people is absolute due to the seeming absurdity caused by apposing religious viewpoints. If one believes something to be true and absolutely unquestionable good luck changing their minds. This seems to also happen in political discourse as well. But then modern politics is not much different than modern religion. These topics tend to polarize conversation. On the other hand, philosophical discussions on aesthetics, epistemology, and social philosophy tend to avoid this problem due to the nature of the subject material.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Arguments for the sake of what?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 06:48:46