Can You Raed Tihs?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Can You Raed Tihs?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 08:46 pm
Can you atucally raed tehse pipalohoscihl psagsaes, and "uranntsedd" waht it syas?

How far deos the Trtuh aidmt of bnieg lnraeed? Wtih tihs qsetoiun let us bigen. It was a Sriaotcc qeutoisn, or beamce scuh in cnceenqosue of the plreaall Sarcitoc qotieusn wtih recpest to vrutie, sicne vutrie was aiagn dieeetnrmd as ihnisgt. (Parrotaogs, Ggriaos, Mneo, Eedhmyutus.) In so far as the Ttruh is cnoeevcid as smtoinehg to be leenard, its non-enxcsteie is eenvdtliy preupoespsd, so taht in pospiorng to lraen it one mkaes it the oebcjt of an iiqruny. Hree we are cnteroonfd wtih the dufitlicfy to wichh Sracteos clals anoittetn in the Mneo (80, naer the end), and trehe caaritzhreces as a "poguniacus poioisrtopn"; one cnaont seek for waht he konws, and it semes eulalqy iplmsboise for him to seek for waht he deos not konw. For waht a man kowns he cnoant seek, scnie he knwos it; and waht he deos not konw he cnonat seek, sicne he deos not eevn konw for waht to seek.

MAN is bron fere; and erevehrwye he is in chinas. One tnikhs hmilesf the msetar of ohrtes, and stlil reniams a gaterer slvae tahn tehy. How did tihs canhge cmoe aobut? I do not konw. Waht can mkae it lteiamtgie? Taht qioeustn I tnhik I can asewnr. If I took itno aucnoct olny frcoe, and the ectfefs devreid form it, I shuold say: "As lnog as a peploe is clpmoeeld to oeby, and oybes, it deos wlel; as soon as it can sahke off the ykoe, and skahes it off, it deos slitl bteter; for, rneianigg its leirtby by the smae rhigt as took it aawy, ehetir it is jfeutiisd in renuismg it, or terhe was no jsuotiactiifn for thsoe who took it aawy." But the siocal oedrr is a srecad rghit whcih is the biass of all ohetr rtighs. Nteerheelsvs, tihs rihgt deos not cmoe form nuarte, and msut thereorfe be fnouded on conenitvons. Borefe cinomg to taht, I hvae to pvore waht I hvae jsut asstered.

Taht all our kegolwdne bniegs wtih epeiexncre three can be no duobt. For how is it plbisose that the fltaucy of cgnoitoin shloud be aaewnekd itno eiscerxe oetriwshe tahn by menas of ojtebcs wcihh afcfet our sneess, and ptalry of tleemvsehs prcodue rnatinptesroees, pltary ruose our peorws of untdsrannideg itno atiivcty, to corpame to cocnent, or to sreaapte thsee, and so to cnveort the raw mraatiel of our sunoseus ipsmrnosies itno a kondewlge of ojtecbs, wchih is cealld eirexpcene? In rpescet of tmie, trehfroee, no koedwngle of orus is acteeednnt to erneixepce, but bgneis wtih it.

iconoclast

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 11:20 pm
@Victor Eremita,
On, I coldnut kame tou a wrod!

de budding

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 02:44 pm
@iconoclast,
Lol, this is as old as the hills, here is the original-

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe

Although it was later commented by a Cambridge fellow that...

I'm not sure how genuine either paragraphs are, but I can comment that it takes a little more care than to simply jumble every letter other than the first and last. If we had the time to check I'm sure we would find some vowel-relativity which is necessary to get that 'instant' effect which makes the trick work so well. Without it words like 'lnraeed' and 'Sriaotcc' become hard to decipher without effort... note the clustered vowels in both examples from your text... may I suggest relative vowel spacing (relative to original word) is required to keep the reading smooth.

Who can be bhtoeerd to proev me worng ?
Who can be bohtered to pvore me wnorg ?

Hmm also phonetics seems to be sensitive as well, breaking up sounds like the 'pr' sound in prove, once gone, leaves me articulating a 'vor/for' sound automatically at the start of what was 'prove'. I'm sure world familiarity will play a large part also and things like proper nouns will be the toughest for us to comprehend smoothly if there middle is jumbled up.

Dan.

Theaetetus

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:10 pm
@de budding,
Reading passages like this can help improve reading speed. In speed reading classes you learn to glance over certain words, but by reading scrambled letters identification of words improves.

Deftil

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:02 am
@Theaetetus,
What is going on in this thread? I can't tell. I can't even make out a word. :perplexed:

de budding

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:25 am
@Deftil,
Deftil wrote:
What is going on in this thread? I can't tell. I can't even make out a word. :perplexed:

We are sternthcig teh birans cpaaicty to prdeict waht a wrod is bsaed on the lteters contaiend olny as apopse to the odrer of ltetres cotnanied. In otehr wrods we are jubmlnig up teh eltters in the mdilde, kpeenig the frist and lsat the smae, and seieng if we can slitl raed it. Udnesortod?

Dan :detective:

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Can You Raed Tihs?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 04:13:56