Cold War 1.5

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:39 pm
Russia's Nuclear Threat Is More Than Words - WSJ.com
What Russia?s Moves on Georgia Could Mean for Iran | Newsweek Voices - Christopher Dickey | Newsweek.com
Russia has issued a nuclear threat on poland. There seems to be a very new spin on geopolitics with the shift in threat. Any thoughts?

iconoclast

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:49 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Don't know where you are, but while that's within the scope of the statements made, that's not the emphasis of media reports here in the UK. More GW Bush/fox news alarmism???

Zetetic11235

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 01:34 pm
@iconoclast,
Vladimir Putin has warned Ukraine that if it were to join NATO, "Russia will have to point its warheads at Ukrainian territory." Not long before that, Mr. Putin cheerfully described a series of ballistic-missile flight tests as "pleasant and spectacular holiday fireworks."

This is from the Wall Street Journal, which may be the best new paper in the states. I think it is pretty bad journalism, and is indeed quite sensational. The two articals are more along the lines of editorials though, especially the second, which is an editorial.

BBC NEWS | Europe | Russia condemns US missile deal Here is a report from the BBC, if it is more to your likeing. It is certainly better journalism.

iconoclast

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 03:05 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Quote:
A foreign ministry statement said that Moscow "will be forced to react, and not only through diplomatic demarches". It did not elaborate.

Is this what you mean? I'm just not sure it amounts to:

Quote:
Russia has issued a nuclear threat on poland.

The more likely response would be to use state control of Gazprom to cut energy supplies - essentially speaking, economic sanctions - very serious for states further west - and that's about the whole of the EU.

Zetetic11235

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 05:48 pm
@iconoclast,
I don't know why I should defer to news in britain, they have a different set of concerns/interests and aside from the BBC(which is damn good), the news isn't that great. As far as other coutries, most of them copy U.S. papers. As long as I stay away from fox news, I think we will be O.K. unless you only want to go by british news, in which case we have nothing to discuss until you provide some links as I don't know what the better news papers in britain are.
How about these?
Russia in nuclear threat to Poland - Times Online
Washington Times - U.S. signs Poland pact as Russia renews threats

A RUSSIAN general yesterday threatened to attack Poland as the crisis in Georgia showed no signs of easing.
The Kremlin's deputy chief of staff General Anatoly Nogovitsyn issued the chilling warning after Poland revealed it would host part of a US missile shield system.
He said: "By hosting these, Poland is making itself a target. This is 100 per cent certain.
"It becomes a target for attack. Such targets are destroyed as a first priority." - Russia in nuclear threat towards Poland - The Daily Record

I can't find sufficient documentation showing that the threat is nuclear per say, only military in general.

iconoclast

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 06:26 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Ah, yes, it's not:

'build that defence shield and we will nuke you'

but

'build that defence shield and, if there's a nuclear war, we will nuke you.'

So really, Russia is just explaining the implications of Poland's decision.

I remember when I was a kid watching an animated film called 'When the Wind Blows' about two old people who survive the blast.

I remeber thinking two things:

1) If there were a nuclear war I'd want to get hit as directly as possible.

and,

2) human beings are f*cking insane!!!!

I have yet to find cause to change either opinion.

iconoclast.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 07:24 pm
@iconoclast,
What was the Cold War, essentially? It was an economic conflict between two superpowers.

But economic conflicts have always existed. And the threat of military action is just as traditional, as is the use of military force at the climax of an economic conflict. Most wars are economic.

I have no doubt that Russia will use military force if it feels military force to be the pragmatic option.

Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:45 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
I can't believe the stupidity here. Its a frickin' missle defence system.

Russia is alone on this one if they actually think by cutting themselves off of NATO anyone else will join them. So why does Poland become a threat? They will come crawling back, Laughing. Russian envoy said it was temporary. (Yeah, pending the conditions, time persuing)

Because Russia hates it when the USA gains EU allies.

I thought that Russia would appreciate all that the US has done, idiocy of the Bush administration. They both have financial incentive to claiming oil. And the US has dedicated so much money to the war rather than alternative resources causing this economic crisis in the first place.

Sometimes I wish I could just take the first rocket that Iran can successfully gets into space and with the help of world technological support and effort, compact all the world's oil into it and send it into space. Then, every frickin' country sends all their nukes (if they have any) and targets and blows up all the !@#$%^& oil while in space. Not a bad global project, eh? Russia would be in the dumps, but tough luck, find something else to build an empire on, 'biggest country in the world'.

Or is it about an empire anymore, why should it ever have been? Thats the insanity. Its like our animals instinct is conveyed through a feudal essence, look at Darfur too!! In the end its about MONEY. MONEY and people's ignorance is the intrinsic factor of our prolonged, emphasized animal instincts. (Nothing wrong with some but for crying out loud!)

iconoclast

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 03:56 am
@Holiday20310401,
Quote:
I can't believe the stupidity here.

Here here.

Quote:
Its a frickin' missle defence system.

And as such alters the calculus of Mutaully Assured Destruction that has maintained an uneasy, but peaceful balance of power for 60 years.

What is Russia to do? Build it's own missile defence shield - i.e. a new cold war, a new arms race, in which case see the GDP of the world funneled through arms dealers for the next century - or should Russia accept that its nuclear asrenal is useless?

That's what the fool you Americans twice voted into office has done.

Quote:
I can't believe the stupidity here.

and there.

iconoclast.

Aedes

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 11:17 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
What was the Cold War, essentially? It was an economic conflict between two superpowers.
Aside from Vietnam, Korea, the mutual armament of most of Africa, Latin America, and parts of Asia... not to mention all the puppet regimes and puppet insurgencies...

It was everything you see in actual war except for the front line.

iconoclast wrote:
That's what the f*cking w*nker you Americans twice voted into office has done.
Don't blame me for either one. :Cara_2:

iconoclast

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 04:56 pm
@Aedes,
That's what the fool you Americans twice voted into office has done. :whistling:

Aedes

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 08:24 am
@iconoclast,
With less than an absolute 50% of the popular vote each time. Again, don't blame me. :nonooo:

iconoclast

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 08:58 am
@Aedes,
Aedes,

You think that's bad? Gordon Brown, our Prime Minister has no democratic mandate - but took over when Tony Blair stood down 13 months ago. Tony Blair was voted into office in the general election of 2005:

Quote:
Labour received 35.3% of the popular vote, equating to approximately 22% of the electorate...(wikipedia)

political legitimacy is at issue.

iconoclast.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 01:11:15