Working can be hard when people act stupid.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Working can be hard when people act stupid.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 10:59 pm
Now I know I'm not one to speak.Laughing (17 years old). But working at a grocery store as a cashier can be irritating sometimes. People will ask for the extra penny if I "forget" :whistling: to give it to them. They will ask for a refund if the difference if twenty flippin! cents. (Causes a line up b/c where I work refunds are this annoyingly long process).

So a woman comes up to me and says, "I went to use the vending machine and I accidentally pressed the wrong button, and got the wrong pop".

I didn't mean to blurt this out but, "People have to pay for their mistakes".

I called the manager b/c the woman insisted telling me that she actually gets a refund of 50 cents. And she got it in the end. :nonooo:

Anyways the point is have you ever had to work with people who had no moral sense at all, whether fellow employees or other people.

And if you want to add any input to my situation feel free. This is just a general discussion, trying to add an ethical input, so as to pertain to philosophy a little.:a-ok:

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 11:18 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Ah, the work place. Builds character.

Make work a practice. Practice love and compassion.

Khethil

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 09:37 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
I didn't mean to blurt this out but, "People have to pay for their mistakes".

I called the manager b/c the woman insisted telling me that she actually gets a refund of 50 cents. And she got it in the end. :nonooo:
:a-ok:

Haha, I know how you feel. One walks away wondering if 'justice' exists at all. But if it helps at all, here's how I resolved such things (in that kind of workplace setting): The ethics of how a business works (a business that *lives* and *dies* on consumer loyalty) would much rather lose that 50-cents and, in so doing, come across as the Hero to the customer than keep that 50-cents and have that customer walk away disenchanted.

It's like a whole different set of ethical principles... one that leaves the employee feeling betrayed.

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 03:27 pm
@Khethil,
When I was working at a department store, I once had a customer tell me that the furniture he bought did not match the ad; therefore it did not match his furniture. The customer told me that I should go through all of the boxes to find the "correct" color. I told him he was insane. Apparently my manager felt otherwise. I went through all the boxes to confirm my suspicion. When you take a picture of particle board covered with wood grain, due to the flash it will be lighter in the picture. The point--customers are rarely right, but businesses treat them like royalty no matter how much money that it may cost the company.

FatalMuse

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 04:34 pm
@Theaetetus,
Ah yes, "my job would be so much easier if we didn't have customers." How many times I've heard that.

Vasska

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 01:01 pm
@FatalMuse,
Mostly it's a people's thing, find a job that suites your people skills.

I don't like to deal directly with consumers and sell goods. (with everybody being a costumer, even the crazy one's)
But do like dealing with companies and offering services. (high level, high costs, only for the companies that really need and can afford it).

I'm the guy who works on the background (and does all the work Wink)

urangutan

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 10:15 am
@Vasska,
The middle man, always more annoying than the one who complains.
Redundency isn't a package or an offering, it is an inevatability.
Don't plan on retiring, think of dying at work and leaving the mess in there hands.
Opt to be in non union work now and again, to remind yourself how it will become.
Only when you are your own boss have you failed to be part of a team.

socrato

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 09:00 pm
@urangutan,
This is the stuff I need to convince my parents why I don't want a job.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 09:15 pm
@socrato,
Quote:
This is the stuff I need to convince my parents why I don't want a job.

Work will do you good. It's not fun by any means, but it builds character. You'll be grateful later in life.

Sorry to sound like a parent, but that's the truth, brother.

Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 09:33 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Yeah, just whatever you do, don't be a cashier!! I don't know why I became one, I thought originally I was going to be stocking shelves or something.

Thats what you should do. Work in the produce department, listening to your ipod or something while putting vegetables on the table. lol.

Vasska

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 03:35 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
Yeah, just whatever you do, don't be a cashier!! I don't know why I became one, I thought originally I was going to be stocking shelves or something.

Thats what you should do. Work in the produce department, listening to your ipod or something while putting vegetables on the table. lol.

I'm one too for the moment, but only because they offer a 60% off card for any food you buy on the train stations, and i go with the train everyday. Saves me a lot of cash whenever I'm hungry.

Anyhow, you'll love this site: Not Always Right | Funny & Stupid Customer Quotes
It's about the stupid customers employees get, great fun!

Holiday20310401

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 11:25 am
@Vasska,
Yeah I've seen that site too. I could post a lot of stories on that thing, I just might. Oh, and I'm working today, maybe I'll have a tale to tell.

Vasska

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 01:38 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
Yeah I've seen that site too. I could post a lot of stories on that thing, I just might. Oh, and I'm working today, maybe I'll have a tale to tell.

Good luck;) They still have 5000+ (!!!) stories pending.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Working can be hard when people act stupid.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 11:03:29